Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Disconnect (afaik) Every 5-10 Minutes, Occassionally Get A Generic Error

Ignotus
Ignotus
✭✭✭
Over 6+ months, I played one character to v5 and another to the mid 30s without any significant issues earlier this year. I stopped playing for a few months and recently decided to try to come back. I started a couple of weeks ago and kept getting disconnected every 5 minutes or so, so I gave up. I just started trying again yesterday and I'm still getting disconnected every 5-10 minutes, sometimes within the first minute of logging in. Sometimes I get a completely unhelpful error message: "An error has occurred. Please wait a few minutes and log in again." I assume that I'm getting disconnected, but I don't really know what's happening as there are no error or client logs. One second I'm playing, and the next second I'm at the login screen. It would be nice to at least know if it's a connectivity issue.

I've exhausted all of the troubleshooting steps that I can come up with on my own. Here is what I have tried:
  • everything in the "connectivity/latency issues" of the Known Technical Issues & Troubleshooting (PC) thread:
    disabled all addons
    switched to ethernet
    set up port triggering on xfinity router for the specified ports (never had to do this the first 6+ months that I played)
    reset dns settings
    reset network settings
    run the game in admin and compatibility mode for XP SP3 (never had to do this previously and it worked fine)
    set up antivirus exceptions
    set up Windows firewall exceptions
  • updated nvidia driver from March 2015 to recommended September 2015 version (apparently newer versions are crashing for people)
  • deleted usersettings.txt
  • tried playing another MMO to see if my connection is having problems; the other MMO played fine for a couple of hours (no disconnects)
EDIT: Wanted to add that I'm using Windows 7 x64.
Edited by Ignotus on December 2, 2015 12:52AM
  • xANTIxMATTERx
    xANTIxMATTERx
    ✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    Over 6+ months, I played one character to v5 and another to the mid 30s without any significant issues earlier this year. I stopped playing for a few months and recently decided to try to come back. I started a couple of weeks ago and kept getting disconnected every 5 minutes or so, so I gave up. I just started trying again yesterday and I'm still getting disconnected every 5-10 minutes, sometimes within the first minute of logging in. Sometimes I get a completely unhelpful error message: "An error has occurred. Please wait a few minutes and log in again." I assume that I'm getting disconnected, but I don't really know what's happening as there are no error or client logs. One second I'm playing, and the next second I'm at the login screen. It would be nice to at least know if it's a connectivity issue.

I've exhausted all of the troubleshooting steps that I can come up with on my own. Here is what I have tried:
    • everything in the "connectivity/latency issues" of the Known Technical Issues & Troubleshooting (PC) thread:
      disabled all addons
      switched to ethernet
      set up port triggering on xfinity router for the specified ports (never had to do this the first 6+ months that I played)
      reset dns settings
      reset network settings
      run the game in admin and compatibility mode for XP SP3 (never had to do this previously and it worked fine)
      set up antivirus exceptions
      set up Windows firewall exceptions
    • updated nvidia driver from March 2015 to recommended September 2015 version (apparently newer versions are crashing for people)
    • deleted usersettings.txt
    • tried playing another MMO to see if my connection is having problems; the other MMO played fine for a couple of hours (no disconnects)
    EDIT: Wanted to add that I'm using Windows 7 x64.

My girlfriend and I are having the exact same problems as you. We can't play during prime time because we are constantly getting booted to login screen or everything just freezes in place and we have to alt+f4 or just wait to disconnect officially. It has made the game unplayable during the evening the last few weeks. I tried all of the methods you tried, including repairing the client and nothing changes it. Today we had our ISP come out and give us a brand new modem/router and then tonight the same issues were occurring. I was convinced after trying everything that it was our ISP's fault but now I think that one of the recent patches messed something up. I know not a lot of people are having this issue but from reading the forums I have seen a bunch of different posts describing similar issues. I don't know what to do anymore, I love this game but every night I just sit around and do nothing because I can't play anymore. Also, every speed test I run shows me proper numbers so how can it even be my ISP? Very frustrating :(
    Anti-Matter | Nightblade | AR 40 | Flawless Conqueror | Former Emperor x 2
    Anti-Psychotic | Stamplar | AR 25 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Matter | Stam DK | AR 18 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Gravity | Stam Sorcerer | AR 10 | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Freeze | Magicka DK | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-One | Magicka Sorc | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Matter | Magplar | Shehai Shatterer

Officer of Haxus | NA
    Member of The Order of Mundus | NA
    Former Member of Havoc, IR, Learn 2 Play and Crown Store Heros
    Options
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not thinking it's my ISP or connection because I tried the Wildstar MMO and was able to play for a couple of hours without any disconnects. It is definitely something exclusive to ESO. I have NO other indications of there being any issue with my Internet connection. I clean installed Windows 10 last night and just tried it a few minutes ago and the same thing happened (I typically use Windows 7). I did not do a new install of ESO for Windows 10 because I really don't feel like blowing 40GB of bandwidth, or whatever amount it is, to redownload ESO to reinstall it. I just copied my Elder Scrolls Online folder from the /users directory in 7 over to the equivalent in 10 and ran it from the Windows 7 install. Everything was fine until I got booted to the login screen after about 2 minutes. I guess I'll try that other MMO again. I'd rather play ESO, but the other one wasn't terrible.
    Options
  • xANTIxMATTERx
    xANTIxMATTERx
    ✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    I'm not thinking it's my ISP or connection because I tried the Wildstar MMO and was able to play for a couple of hours without any disconnects. It is definitely something exclusive to ESO. I have NO other indications of there being any issue with my Internet connection. I clean installed Windows 10 last night and just tried it a few minutes ago and the same thing happened (I typically use Windows 7). I did not do a new install of ESO for Windows 10 because I really don't feel like blowing 40GB of bandwidth, or whatever amount it is, to redownload ESO to reinstall it. I just copied my Elder Scrolls Online folder from the /users directory in 7 over to the equivalent in 10 and ran it from the Windows 7 install. Everything was fine until I got booted to the login screen after about 2 minutes. I guess I'll try that other MMO again. I'd rather play ESO, but the other one wasn't terrible.

Yeah im thinking the same thing. Sigh. I hope Zos looks into this and maybe finds the issue and resolves it in the next minor patch. I really want to play :(
    Anti-Matter | Nightblade | AR 40 | Flawless Conqueror | Former Emperor x 2
    Anti-Psychotic | Stamplar | AR 25 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Matter | Stam DK | AR 18 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Gravity | Stam Sorcerer | AR 10 | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Freeze | Magicka DK | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-One | Magicka Sorc | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Matter | Magplar | Shehai Shatterer

Officer of Haxus | NA
    Member of The Order of Mundus | NA
    Former Member of Havoc, IR, Learn 2 Play and Crown Store Heros
    Options
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here. I just returned to the game, updated all the addons etc...and I can log in but while trying to change area, a generic error (without number) appear. If i stay in the same area, it disconnect randomly too.

What a disaster.
    Options
  • pandoraderomanus
    pandoraderomanus
    ✭✭✭
    Check your IP adresses while playing. Had the same problem, my ISP somehow changed IP every 2-3 seconds, that caused 'an error has occured...' everytime when I wanted to change my location.
    PC-EU since 2014

Touches-Your-Tralala - retired lizardina-templar
    Pandora Morgenstern - noob orc-stamsorc
    Options
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. It happens usually in prime-time. Just getting disconnected to login screen.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
    Options