The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

LAUNCHER ISSUE - windows 8.1 launcher doesnt work [Solved]

gokhanuzmez
gokhanuzmez
✭✭
Installed the game 3 times , updater launch does not work

If I go run the app directly game starts but cant log in cause its not up to date

Tried win 7 compatible, turned off firewall, run as admin,

Gw2 and swtor launchers work with no problem

Support team DOES NOT EVEN RESPOND !

Any help?
Edited by gokhanuzmez on April 20, 2014 11:01PM
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Works fine on my 8.1
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep no problems here with Win 8.1. Install and updates went great.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭
    Well lucky you guys
  • XDem
    XDem
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that the second thread you make about it? Your first thread got a full page of replies from people using win 8.1 without any issue.

How many threads are you gonna need before you realize the problem is on your side?

• gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭
    i have created more than 10 tickets and 3 threads, if I need to go talk to zenimax in person in maryland, I will.
    You dont care cause you have no problems.
    Start saving money, buy a new computer and boom it doesnt work, you sure would raise hell.
    If the problem was in my end
    1. The game would not run on my old computer which is connected to same wireless network.
    2. OTher games such as swtor and gw2 would give me issues aswell.

So at this point I will do everything I can till I find an answer.
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    i have created more than 10 tickets and 3 threads, if I need to go talk to zenimax in person in maryland, I will.
    Start saving money, buy a new computer and boom it doesnt work, you sure would raise hell.
    1. The game would not run on my old computer which is connected to same wireless network.

What are your full specs?
  • XDem
    XDem
    ✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration, but I don't think it's about ZOS "fixing their game" more than about you figuring out what's wrong with this computer.

Going to try to provide what help I can in the other thread.
  • gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭

What are your full specs?

Current computer is a Asus G750 JM with i7 processor, 8 gb ddr3 ram, 2gb ddr5 GeForce GTX 860M, windows 8.1

Other topics , people are saying I have some kind of built in program that is blocking the launcher, with other million thoughts and solutions I tried and didnt work.

• gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭
    XDem wrote: »
    I understand your frustration, but I don't think it's about ZOS "fixing their game" more than about you figuring out what's wrong with this computer.

Going to try to provide what help I can in the other thread.

you are right, the topic needs to be changed, the game is ok I guess
  • gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭
    FINALLY a support technician named Skylar solved the issue.
    If you are running Windows 8.1, you will need to run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8. But first, we will need to run the system in Selective Start up.
    To put the computer in selective start up:

1) Press the Windows key to enable the start button and type msconfig on the search box
    2) Right click on the msconfig.exe program and choose Run as administrator
    3) To place your computer into selective start up:
    a. On the General Tab at the top, click on the Selective startup radio button
    b. Uncheck "Load startup items"
    4) Click on the Services tab at the top
    a. On the Services tab check the Hide all Microsoft services check box at the bottom
    5) Click the Disable all button at the bottom
    6) Click Apply, then click OK
    7) Restart your computer
    After Running the computer in selective start up, you will now need to put the game into compatibility mode for windows 8.0:
    1) Right Click on The Elder Scrolls Online application.
    2) Click Properties.
    3) Click the Compatibility tab.
    4) Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode".
    5) Choose Windows 8.0
    6) It may also be necessary to check the box for "Run this program as an administrator."

Ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled in your Internet options. These settings can be found by following the steps below:
    Open your Control Panel
    Select Internet Options
    Click Connections on the top panel
    Select LAN Settings
    From here ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled (unchecked). Once the settings are applied, please retest the issue
  • StrangerFull
    StrangerFull
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running game without any manipulations on my Win 8.1. UAC completely disabled and administrator account. No problems with normal hands.dll ;)
    Edited by StrangerFull on April 20, 2014 11:16PM
  • KryptonianJedi
    If you are running Windows 8.1, you will need to run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8. But first, we will need to run the system in Selective Start up.

1) Press the Windows key to enable the start button and type msconfig on the search box
    a. On the Services tab check the Hide all Microsoft services check box at the bottom
    7) Restart your computer
    After Running the computer in selective start up, you will now need to put the game into compatibility mode for windows 8.0:
    2) Click Properties.
    5) Choose Windows 8.0
    6) It may also be necessary to check the box for "Run this program as an administrator."

Ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled in your Internet options. These settings can be found by following the steps below:
    Open your Control Panel
    Select Internet Options
    Select LAN Settings
    From here ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled (unchecked). Once the settings are applied, please retest the issue

Thank you Gokha!!! You are awesome!

I've been trying to figure out how to install the game for days now and was running into the issue above and the steps you listed solved the issue for me. :smile:

Absolutely mind-boggling as to why this isn't stickied so that other players can install the game, enjoy the game, and save themselves from hours or days of frustration -- or worse, give up on the game altogether.

Apparently none of the mods or admins on these forums have adequate common sense. Instead of listing this post with the solution needed for those experiencing this issue, you have to go through a crap-ton of useless steps before maybe reaching the bit that helps a little.

ZeniMax has you to thank for me not giving up on ESO and immediately going back to the other MMOs I play.

Thanks again!
    Edited by KryptonianJedi on April 10, 2015 4:19PM
  • gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭

7) Restart your computer
    2) Click Properties.
    5) Choose Windows 8.0

Open your Control Panel
    Select Internet Options
    Select LAN Settings

Thank you Gokha!!! You are awesome!

I've been trying to figure out how to install the game for days now and was running into the issue above and the steps you listed solved the issue for me. :smile:

Absolutely mind-boggling as to why this isn't stickied so that other players can install the game, enjoy the game, and save themselves from hours or days of frustration -- or worse, give up on the game altogether.

Apparently none of the mods or admins on these forums have adequate common sense. Instead of listing this post with the solution needed for those experiencing this issue, you have to go through a crap-ton of useless steps before maybe reaching the bit that helps a little.

ZeniMax has you to thank for me not giving up on ESO and immediately going back to the other MMOs I play.

Thanks again!

Enjoy it buddy
  • shadegr0wn
    shadegr0wn
    Soul Shriven

7) Restart your computer
    2) Click Properties.
    5) Choose Windows 8.0

Open your Control Panel
    Select Internet Options
    Select LAN Settings

Thank you so much!

I've been running the game without issues for a log time and today couldn't get in because of launcher problem. I thought it's connected somehow with WBW, but it is probably because of some of the applications that I've installed yesterday. I've tried even deleting and re-installing the game, and it didn't help.

Your solution worked like charm! Thank you!
    As far as you know, the leather in my boots isn't from anyone in my family. © Opatieel
  • Dezail
    Dezail
    A quicker way to get around doing all that work.
    If your account is an Admin account on your computer Right click the icon for the ESO launcher.
    Click on Troubleshoot Compatibly.
    It should launch it in windows 8 compatibility mode.
    If that solved your issues click next and yes that solved my issues.
  • cindyjimben3_ESO
    cindyjimben3_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    THANK YOU GOKHA!
  • DarcomX
    DarcomX
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same exact issue with Windows 10
  • Essa
    Essa
    Soul Shriven
    DarcomX wrote: »
    I am having the same exact issue with Windows 10

Same, cant install on win10 for some reason. Was able to do it without any problems earlier with the same OS.
  • raging4198
    raging4198
    Soul Shriven
    i had the same problem... basically steam is a lazy ass and doesnt install the launcher folder so you have to ask some 1 to send it to u then add it to the eso folder in steam

also as a bonus if u get a timed out error close the game. the launcher and steam then run steam as admin
  • lysopaine
    lysopaine
    Soul Shriven
    i have the same problem but it doesnt work this method , and i cant find the instal from resourse file , any other method to try ?

edit i found that at win10 the launcher in different folder
    Edited by lysopaine on February 7, 2017 8:47PM