The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Quitting from within the game bug.

Tyralbin
Tyralbin
✭✭✭✭
Guys would advise not to quit from within the game but to log out and quit from character selection screen (press back on selection screen to get to password entry screen you can quit from there).

Quitting from within the game seems to possibly leave you logged in.

Had a friend that had logged out over 90 minutes ago still being logged in the game.

This could cause queuing issues later.

Reported in bugs forum.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502541/quitting-from-in-game/p1?new=1
Edited by Tyralbin on November 19, 2019 1:34PM
Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's impossible. If they were in group and logged out sometimes they still show up as logged in but they are not there. More like server failure to update the UI for you to see they're gone. Run many groups this happens everyday in cyrodiil. There is also due to inactivity a log out mechanism so it's impossible lol. Not with ZOS huh lol.
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not impossible.

I was talking to a friend on discord that had been logged out over 2 hours but was still showing as logged in though you couldn't whisper her.

In the guild roster it showed her as logged in but no level info was there.

Check it out for yourself if you in a guild :)
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best is when you can still see their healthbar floating in the air and they had crown. Good luck inviting friends to the group.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having to shut the game down now with task manager.
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't know if this was fixed by zos but we saw something similar when queueng.. I logged off as a tank but it still had me in the queue.. lol.. It didn't kick my bro out of queue when I logged off...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/499360/bug-dungeon-finder
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    make sure that he didn't force quit vs letting the 10 second timer run down because there is a warning about that exact thing happening right on the timer window
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    make sure that he didn't force quit vs letting the 10 second timer run down because there is a warning about that exact thing happening right on the timer window

wait you are taking to me? No I was logged and he stayed in queue still lol... just think what would happen if it still held that spot and the person was afk and booted...
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    wait you are taking to me? No I was logged and he stayed in queue still lol... just think what would happen if it still held that spot and the person was afk and booted...[/quote]

Sorry no I was responding to the op i just forgot to use the quote feature
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be shocked if the player just changed status to "offline" and discard thought the user was playing online mode.

Edited by vamp_emily on November 19, 2019 6:03PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why there's an option to "force quit now," or whatever the popup says, and remain logged in on the server even though you're exiting the game. Is there supposed to be some advantage to doing that? Is there a situation in which I might want to do that? And if a large number of players remained logged in on the server even though they'd exited the game, would it put more stress on the server? So many questions!
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »

Yeah I wondered about that too.

If quitting is causing problems them the quit option should be disabled completely with a message stating to log out then quit.
    Edited by Tyralbin on November 19, 2019 6:39PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if perhaps the original purpose of the popup was simply to warn people that being impatient and forcing the game to quit would cause them to remain logged in on the server, then maybe the popup needs to be change to something like "Thank you for your patience while your character is being logged out prior to quitting. Quitting in 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Goodbye!"
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot_20191119_164211.png
    Screenshot_20191119_164406.png

Took a couple of screen shots so you guys could see what is happening.

All those that have no lvl info are actually offline.

This could cause (or could have already been causing) login issues at busy periods.
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    And the servers went down just like I suggested they would.

I think this may have contributed.
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quitting? B-but can I have your stuff?

:trollface:
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quitting? B-but can I have your stuff?

:trollface:

Read the title this is not a quitting thread but a bug when you quit from within the game.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyralbin wrote: »
    Guys would advise not to quit from within the game but to log out and quit from character selection screen (press back on selection screen to get to password entry screen you can quit from there).

Had a friend that had logged out over 90 minutes ago still being logged in the game.

Reported in bugs forum.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502541/quitting-from-in-game/p1?new=1

I've had this happen to aa few friends. I think it's a UI bug that affects those who were previously grouped whether they left or not. I don't believe they're still logged in the server as I have seen them disappear, but could be very slow server response to update their online/offline status.
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    D0PAMINE wrote: »
    Tyralbin wrote: »

Reported in bugs forum.

I've had this happen to aa few friends. I think it's a UI bug that affects those who were previously grouped whether they left or not. I don't believe they're still logged in the server as I have seen them disappear, but could be very slow server response to update their online/offline status.

The friend I was talking to on discord had not been grouped with anybody.

She only logged in to get her daily reward.

She was only on ESO for about 5 minutes and she was still showing online 2 hours later even after I had ported to different zones.
    Edited by Tyralbin on November 20, 2019 12:40AM
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I never understood why there's an option to "force quit now," or whatever the popup says, and remain logged in on the server even though you're exiting the game. Is there supposed to be some advantage to doing that? Is there a situation in which I might want to do that? And if a large number of players remained logged in on the server even though they'd exited the game, would it put more stress on the server? So many questions!

since you ask, I think there are two issues at work here. The first was rage quitting, or whatever people call it these days. There was (and probably still is) a habit for some people to log out fast when it looks like they're going to lose/die, for...reasons. A lot of games, once this became a recognized habit, added a delay to the server logout, so that even if you shut down the program on your end, your character would stay logged into the server for a few seconds more so the people that were about to kill you actually could, so you couldn't just avoid defeat by shutting down the program.

so, right now, the game keeps you logged in for 10 seconds, and you can watch what's happening while you're force quitting (I think the chat window keeps updating during this time as well). But, you can FORCE QUIT, which doesn't actually do anything to your character logged into the server (you're still gonna be there for 10 seconds), but at least YOU can open a webpage or start up another program while your character stays logged in for the requisite timer.

that MIGHT answer your question. Hope it helps.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk