The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Blue Jewelry Writ out of control

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I run nine crafters max-tier in all crafts. An additional eight max-tier in Enchanting. Even AFTER
  • destroying blue writs requiring Triune
  • giving away blue writs requiring Slaughterstone to a friend who does a lot of pledges
  • putting on hold blue writs requiring Harmony and Infused (i.e., I am not counting these because I have no intention of doing any yet)
I still have more blue jewelry writs than any other craft. And each writ is worth 4-5 times as much as a Blacksmithing, Clothing, or Woodworking purple writ.
The cost per voucher on NA is much higher but deceptive since I still have around 100 Iridium plates and I have never bought any from the Guild Store. They come from decon or daily writs, so they are "free".
Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 10, 2019 6:18PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Same here: blue jewelry master writ asking triune is instantly destroyed.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am destroying all jewerly writs. I need upgrade mats for real jewerlies from trials to make them purple/gold. So no mats for me to make those. I have ~1k vouchers which I don't know what to buy with anyway...

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are beginning to take up a real chunk of space in my bank now as well, and I'm only keeping Arcane/Healthy/Robust and Infused writs (since I have a ton of Aurbic Amber). I want to give them away or sell them, but everybody else is in the same boat so nobody wants them. I may start deleting the 25 & 26 voucher writs since I seem to get plenty of easy ones at 28.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im destroying all blue jewelry master writs,got enough vouchers and im saving jewelry mats for purple and gold writs
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah...looks like the idea of adding blue jewelry Master Writs didn't achieve what they wanted, i.e. players actually doing jewelry master writs. Initially, I was able to sell the triune/harmony/bloodthirsty ones for around 350-400 gold/voucher (I was initially doing all of these, except triune, so they were probably worth more in the beginning on XB NA). They would sell almost immediately - now, I can sell a few at 250-300 gold/voucher, but they move slowly. When they were selling at a fairly brisk pace, I sold ALL blue master writs (after doing an initial few) because my iridium stock was not keeping pace, and I never buy mats just to do writs - master or regular.

But, I've only gotten 2 purple jewelry MWs on console. I did get 2 gold master JC writs on PC, though, and I hardly ever do writs on that platform, and I've only got one character that can do top tier writs.

I think the drop rate on blue JC master writs needs to be tuned down, along with a slight increase in purple/gold MWs. Only slight, like 1-2% at most, but tweaked a little so we have a decent chance at them. Maybe tuning down the frequency of JC MWs as a whole, with purple and gold having a slightly higher chance of dropping. I'm still trying to increase my stock of iridium plating, which is at a whopping 25 plates. But I'm on console, so doing daily writs on all characters is a chore, so some days, I just don't do them on all characters.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on November 11, 2019 9:05PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the biggest issue with jewelry writs these days, we are in a fairly good spot. Not perfect, but miles ahead of the math disaster at Summerset launch.

The fix they might do at some point is to just lower the rate of blue writs awarded and be done with it.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the biggest issue with jewelry writs these days, we are in a fairly good spot. Not perfect, but miles ahead of the math disaster at Summerset launch.

The fix they might do at some point is to just lower the rate of blue writs awarded and be done with it.

Agreed,

Jewelry master writs are limited by the supply of the platings

All other Crafting master writs are limited by drop rate (since it's difficult and expensive to learn all motifs on all characters)

Alchemy/Enchanting drop at similar rates to jewelry, but are low voucher values, since it's easy to learn all traits in those as well.

This is as close to "balance" we've seen since JC master writs came out a year and a half ago. Could they make some small tweaks, yes (as suggested lower the drop rate for blue, perhaps slightly increase the rate for purple JC writs)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In addition to healthy, robust, and arcane, I'm doing blue writs for protective jewelry. The trait material drops more than enough for that at least for me.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    In addition to healthy, robust, and arcane, I'm doing blue writs for protective jewelry. The trait material drops more than enough for that at least for me.

I've slowed down a lot on actual gameplay and mostly just do writs and events (and even then I stopped at 5 easy gold skulls during the Witches Event).
    After having done a lot of blue writs for easy traits, I still have 100 Iridium PLATINGS (this is after having done maybe a dozen blue writs) and over 30 Zircon and Chromium PLATINGS.

I don't know why people are talking about "limited supply of platings". I don't buy from Guild Stores, don't get freebies from friends. These blue writs are essentially "free" to do especially if someone has been grinding dragons during the various Q4 events. I gave over a half dozen Bloodthirsty trait blue writs to a friend who had a lot of slaughterstone and I'm pretty sure he did even those because these mats come "free". I believe he then makes money with goods from vouchers instead of trying to sell materials outright.

Since they also introduced grains with daily writs, with the possibility of whole plates, it's possible that my supply has been creeping up from that. I have 9 tier VI and 9 tier I jewelers so the tier 1's might be pulling more iridium. I certainly haven't farmed dragons and in fact couldn't do so until the Witches event when I got the Dragonhold DLC.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 12, 2019 12:31AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    kringled_1 wrote: »

I've slowed down a lot on actual gameplay and mostly just do writs and events (and even then I stopped at 5 easy gold skulls during the Witches Event).
    After having done a lot of blue writs for easy traits, I still have 100 Iridium PLATINGS (this is after having done maybe a dozen blue writs) and over 30 Zircon and Chromium PLATINGS.

I don't know why people are talking about "limited supply of platings". I don't buy from Guild Stores, don't get freebies from friends. These blue writs are essentially "free" to do especially if someone has been grinding dragons during the various Q4 events. I gave over a half dozen Bloodthirsty trait blue writs to a friend who had a lot of slaughterstone and I'm pretty sure he did even those because these mats come "free". I believe he then makes money with goods from vouchers instead of trying to sell materials outright.

Since they also introduced grains with daily writs, with the possibility of whole plates, it's possible that my supply has been creeping up from that. I have 9 tier VI and 9 tier I jewelers so the tier 1's might be pulling more iridium. I certainly haven't farmed dragons and in fact couldn't do so until the Witches event when I got the Dragonhold DLC.

This is it. The tier 1's are not giving you JC master writs, and they are most likely to drop Terne and Iridium grains from them (not at 100%). The weighting shifts to higher quality at higher levels.

I, for one, do not get enough Iridium grains to maintain my 30 characters that are getting master jewelry writs (only have 6 doing non-max tier) from the combination of grains from jewelry dailies and from deconning drops from random events (I do mostly vet content however, so I get more purple than blue jewelry)

I've stopped doing blue jewelry writs at all, only do purple and gold.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the blue jewelry writs. The current writ drop rate works well with the amount of Iridium and Terne grains/plating I get from refining/deconstructing on two crafters. I don't do veteran or hard level content so don't get many purple or gold items to deconstruct. Due to needing purple and gold plating to upgrade my own items I don't do the purple or gold writs and either sell or destroy them.
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    the mats just arent there in sufficient quantity to make them worth doing
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the black sheep here, but I have been doing the Triune blue master writs.

I have about 10 million AP banked with nothing to spend it on (except a few pieces of siege for PvP raid).
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just destroy or give away the blue master writs, not even worth selling now, tends to be so many on the market dirt cheap.

Blue plating's still sell fairly well though.

Very rarely ever seem to get any purple or gold ones though, probably because I only have one character that has researched the traits.

Purple plating's seem to have gone down a bit in price (around 5 - 10K lower than before on PC/NA) but that might just be due to an oversupply from the amount of people doing dolmens during the witches festival, I am holding onto my plating's till prices go back up a bit I am in no rush to sell.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the black sheep here, but I have been doing the Triune blue master writs.

I have about 10 million AP banked with nothing to spend it on (except a few pieces of siege for PvP raid).
    You may have an abundance of AP, but you're still majorly wasting it by using it this way. I haven't seen a Triune writ for more than 29 vouchers, and yet I've had some for Protective as high as 28 vouchers. The difference in price between one Titanium and one Dawn-Prism is massive (like 750g vs. 15,000g at the low end per current TTC listings for PC-NA), which is far more than one voucher is worth.

You're much, much better off selling the Dawn-Prism outright -- or selling pages of Militant Ordinator or Akaviri styles.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like some blue writs if no one wants any :)
    Edited by LordLomax on November 14, 2019 1:39PM
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    LordLomax wrote: »
    I would like some blue writs if no one wants any :)
    If you're on PC-NA, send a message to @TatankoX and I'll reply with a few. I've been stocking up on the robust/arcane/healthy so they are easy, I promise ;)
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else seen a lack of Jewelry surveys?

I haven't had one in over a month. Maybe two months.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest problem with the blue Jewelry master writs is that as soon as they came out, the price of Iridium Plating went up in the guild stores. This makes no sense to me, because it still takes the same number of Iridium Plating to make a blue item as it does to make a purple or gold item.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with the blue Jewelry master writs is that as soon as they came out, the price of Iridium Plating went up in the guild stores. This makes no sense to me, because it still takes the same number of Iridium Plating to make a blue item as it does to make a purple or gold item.

Especially when there is theoretically MORE stock due to grains added to daily writs as an additional reward. The price per voucher quickly rose to make blue writs unpalatable to do.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 15, 2019 10:39PM
  • Scottfree2
    Scottfree2
    ✭✭✭
    If im going to use some blue platings or even purple, on a master writ its going towards something that gives 200 or more vouchers .. even after deconning any unwanted blue/purple jewellery i still have to wait a while to build up enough platings for a decent master writ, and as stated prices are high enough to make buying undesirable.

So, blue master writs? .. junk, always.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    azjuwelz wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen a lack of Jewelry surveys?

I haven't had one in over a month. Maybe two months.

nope, still getting them at the normal drop rates

• bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Yeah but how many people were actually doing the purple master writs before the changes? demand went up and so did the prices people could get away with, that players are prepared to pay to avoid running dolmens for jewelry to decon.

I have seen people buying the green and blue jewelry in the Alikir desert off those running the dolmens, before the changes it was only purple jewelry people bothered buying.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't do jewellery writs at all

Jewellery is ridiculous in this game
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they drop like candy. I get 5-6 of them every day from 18 characters. Initially I was able to sell them for 2-3K gold, after a week the MM dropped under 1K gold, and I hardly sold any. Now they're under 500, regardless of trait, so I simply trash them since it's not worth cluttering my guild stores with them. They far outstripped the supply of iridium plating (~7.5K on EU-PC), and the prices for those has spiked to such an extent that they're totally uneconomical to craft at 7-800 gold/voucher (triune are >1000 so they're clearly trash). The average cost of other gear vouchers is more like 400-450 gold and for consumable ones ~300. They should decrease the drop rate, and buff the voucher number to 40-50 to balance things.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    They should decrease the drop rate, and buff the voucher number to 40-50 to balance things.
    They already tried buffing the voucher reward though. If they do it again the mat prices will just go up again?

IF (big if) you can get enough Iridium "free" (i.e., not buy from Guild Stores and you don't try to sell them in Guild Stores), there's no point doing any other type of writ, especially Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking. Too much research and motif hunting. With so many blue writs dropping and each worth multiples more, it's too good for collecting vouchers.
    But that depends on what you do with your Iridium and how much you can get -- or how quickly you want vouchers.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 18, 2019 10:37AM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should decrease the drop rate, and buff the voucher number to 40-50 to balance things.
    They already tried buffing the voucher reward though. If they do it again the mat prices will just go up again?

When I said decrease the drop rate I was thinking about halving or even reducing it to 1/3 of what is now. ATM I'm getting as many blue jewelry writs as I'm getting Alchemy and Enchanting ones. Gear writs are supposed to be rarer and more valuable than consumable ones.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, prices will rise. Isn't this all about demand/supply?! Yes it is.

Amount of vouchers granted and ratio of drops are fine as they are: not everyone has 18 chars doing writs.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one change I'd like to see on writs is make them worth a token amount of gold like how recipes are. At least we could gain a small reward on those that we are now deleting.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

IF (big if) you can get enough Iridium "free" (i.e., not buy from Guild Stores and you don't try to sell them in Guild Stores), there's no point doing any other type of writ, especially Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking. Too much research and motif hunting. With so many blue writs dropping and each worth multiples more, it's too good for collecting vouchers.
    But that depends on what you do with your Iridium and how much you can get -- or how quickly you want vouchers.

Well that's a bit besides the point since if you do max tier jewelry writs you also get iridium dust (sometimes whole platings too). If you just trash those and then you simply sell the iridium and then buy cheap alchemy & enchanting writs - no motifs needed, common/cheap materials (kuta is ~2K gold), resulting in ~300/voucher cost you're still gonna get more vouchers and a profit margin. I always explore all the opportunity costs, not only the direct ones when choosing.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: