The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP for beginners

jebuspowers
jebuspowers
✭✭✭
If your kind of new to pvp,which I'msure most aren't, but if you are then here are a couple tips.

First off, tanking doesn't really work in pvp. Some people can pull it off, most can't so you probably don't want to bother. Make sure you have at least 1 aoe ability on your bar for the "zerg", in other words a large mob of jerks coming to reem you. Have 1 or 2 abilities that are defensive to increase your chances of survivability since it may come down to who can last longer.

The following is what I have gathered when facing someone in 1v1

Dragonknights: Survival is your greatest strength. You can wear down an enemy long enough to let them burn down their resources and you can finish them off. Your best bet is to go stamina and use weapon skills for damage and class skills for survival. A nice balance will help keep you in the fight. Talons are a great way to keep an enemy immobilized all the time.

Counter: Talons is a real pain, but you're better off not rolling out because of the stamina cost. Just sit there and do ranged damage until it wears off then open up once it is gone. Manage resources carefully and use dots.

Sorcerers: Conjured ward and crystal fragments is really all you need. Drop some mines for stamina?/melee fighters to melt them and spam frags until they die. Bolt escape when necessary. Pets are generally a waste of time.

Counter: Almost every sorcerer uses crystal fragments and conjured ward constantly. Use dots to widdle their health away and once their shields drop then use a
hard hitting skill. When their shield is back up refresh your dots, manage resources, and repeat. At some point he will run away with bolt escape in which you have 2 options; chase or disengage. Bolt escape is still impossible to keep up with (thanks devs). Save your ultimates as a finisher and then use whatever ability you need to in order to finish the job.

Templars: Puncturing sweep and blazing shield are dope. Combine that with quick siphon and you are hard to kill. You can also use shards to bring people out of stealth. Use radiant destruction to finish someone off, but wait until they are low health because it doesn't do a lot of damage until they are near 25%.

Counter: The best way to screw over a templar is to use any ability that reduces healing and there are a lot of them. Stay in melee range and keep moving side to side so some of their jabs miss you. If you see a continuous beam of energy bash them to interrupt.

Nightblade: Use dark cloak instead of disguise. If you are stamina then you won't be able to cloak more than a few times. Pick up piercing mark and grim focus and be sure to proc the spectral bow when you can. Cripple is a high powered dot worth using. Double take isn't a bad idea either.

Counter: There are a ton of skills that take people out of cloak and you can use detection potions. If you're fighting a Nightblade and he starts using light attacks then count to 4 and block. The siphoning tree is bread and butter for a magicka Nightblade so use a healing reduction ability if you fight one. Nightblades also have no class based damage shield so they have lower survivability and high burst damage is necessary. Assume the Nightblade you're fighting is using siphoning attacks so their resource pool WILL outlast yours.

In general: Use potions that give you cc immunity, heal health, and heal your main resource as your main potion, detection potions as a second. Utilize your highest resources for damage and your other resource for some utility.Whatever build you come up with, practice it fighting groups of enemies in Craglorn. If you can drop a group without taking a lot of damage and still having some resources leftover then you have a decent build. Next, try to solo one of the floating crystal instances that are all over the zone and see how far you get. If you can solo the boss at the end then you have a good build. (This is how I tested my build but you can do whatever you want). You can also duel a friend if you have one in another alliance.

Your build be more 1v1 focused because of your group is fighting another group then it is typically a numbers game. But as I said previously, make sure you have at least 1aoe ability handy at all times.

Drinks vs. Food: If you use a lot of high cost/high damage abilities then drinks will probably be better. If you use low cost/low damage abilities then food is better.

Good luck.
Edited by jebuspowers on November 23, 2015 6:12AM
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Job on this quick & dirty. I gave you an agree.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Conjured ward and crystal frags is all you need". At that point I got the feeling you were trolling...but something tells me you're serious...
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    "Conjured ward and crystal frags is all you need". At that point I got the feeling you were trolling...but something tells me you're serious...

So tell us why hes wrong rather than just dripping your superiority all over the place.
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP should have said:

Conjured Ward, Crystal Frags, and Overload is all you need.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • jebuspowers
    jebuspowers
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would be a good idea to post this because the stuff I looked up didn't really help out much when I started doing pvp. Now that I'm done with eso I figured I would help out. If anyone has any good input go ahead and add to this. Keep in mind a lot of people don't have caltrops and magicka detonation or mage guild level 10.
    Edited by jebuspowers on November 22, 2015 6:44AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Survival is a Dragonknight's greatest strength? lol. Feels like sorcs can tank better these days, not the mention the fact they don't require dynamic ulti gen because of the 15% reduced cost. They get mad health recovery with surge, while we're stuck with the nerfed and useless DB. Why the hell am I a DK again?
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So tell us why hes wrong rather than just dripping your superiority all over the place.

Good luck spamming frags on a target who is invisible. Or a target with reflective scales. Or any stamina build with defensive posture.
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your kind of new to pvp,which I'msure most aren't, but if you are then here are a couple tips.

First off, tanking doesn't really work in pvp. Some people can pull it off, most can't so you probably don't want to bother. Make sure you have at least 1 aoe ability on your bar for the "zerg", in other words a large mob of jerks coming to reem you. Have 1 or 2 abilities that are defensive to increase your chances of survivability since it may come down to who can last longer.

The following is what o have gathered when facing someone in 1v1

Dragonknights: Talons are a great way to keep an enemy immobilized all the time.

Counter: Talons is a real pain, but you're better off not rolling out because of the stamina cost. Just sit there and do ranged damage until it wears off then open up once it is gone. Manage resources carefully and use dots.

For bosmer, dodge rolling that talons is not a big deal because of good stam regent with CP points.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The following is what o have gathered when facing someone in 1v1

Dragonknights: Talons are a great way to keep an enemy immobilized all the time.

For bosmer, dodge rolling that talons is not a big deal because of good stam regent with CP points.

Completely agree, I laugh when a DK tries to put me in talons
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• jebuspowers
    jebuspowers
    ✭✭✭
    Pvp is too unbalanced. It is in every mmo, so i'm not sure why I thought this would be different. That's why I'm all about Battlefront right now.
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pvp is too unbalanced. It is in every mmo, so i'm not sure why I thought this would be different. That's why I'm all about Battlefront right now.

Yet, here you are...
    N64 NA EP
  • jebuspowers
    jebuspowers
    ✭✭✭

Yet, here you are...

Here I an? We're you looking for me? Did you decide to waste 2 minutes of your life by failing at trying to seem cool or were you just born a dip$hit?
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very good start to anyone new to PVP... However there are some points that we could discuss into oblivion but will not do..

When spamming crystal shards and they start coming back at you as they have been reflected by a DK or Defensive posture, we will see who needs stamina to dodge roll..
    Same with Overload light attacks....

The best advice i can give anyone in pvp is to read this post by @Deanthecat.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)