The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trying to figure out what comes next using the lore [Spoilers]

VerboseQuips
VerboseQuips
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

I am not very active on the forums (nor on the teslore subreddit), but what I read about the Orsinium DLC took me out of my torpor. As I am a very slow player and can't play but during weekends (not even all of them), I have spoilered myself about The Orsinium Main Quest ending as I had heard it would be interesting lorewise. Obviously, everything which comes next is spoiler-based.

So it seems that the upcoming Clockworck City DLC will trigger a Daedric War. This post is about identifying key lore elements which could intervene in the future stories told by the coming DLCs and Updates.

My guess about it is that the Truce negociated by Sotha Sil with eight Daedric Princes during the year 2920 of the First Era will be of crucial importance. Here are a few elements that seem to point at it as a foreshadowing of the War to come.
1. Molag Bal triggered it. Sotha Sil move to negociate the truce happened only after Molag Bal destroyed Gilverdale. The negociations started in Coldharbour.
2. It seems to be, quite obviously, one of the most crucial events involving Sotha Sil and a union of Daedric Princes.
3. Expectably, most of the Daedra that are of any importance to the Dunmer were represented. All Four Corners were there. But only two of the Anticipations were there. Mephala, Vivec's Anticipation, is remarkable by his/her absence. Precisely, we know that Mephala's realm is under development too.
4. Mephala might have been represented there by her/his sibling, Hermaeus Mora, though. This is interesting, because a new text added in ESO seems to point at the truce of 2920 : "Secrets Overheard in Apocrypha" mentions a pact involving all mortals on Nirn, and where Hermaeus Mora agreed not to intervene directly. I think the addition of this new text is one more hint that this truce will be relevant.

That said, I concede my point is very weak. These are vague arguments. I actually just have the feeling that this truce of 2920 will be one of the key plot points of the stories to come, but as we know so few about it, I have no idea about precisely how it might be involved.

Here are other lore elements that could be used as plot points

Another link between Sotha Sil and Molag Bal : the Dreugh.
Sotha Sil spent a long time in the Dreugh's undersea Castles of Glass and Coral. He even created the "clockwork Dreughs" down there, which helped the Dunmer win the war against the Dwemer. This is one more link between Sotha Sil and Molag Bal, as it is known that Molag Bal was once the King of the Dreughs, when they ruled a realm called Lyg, which was apparently destroyed by Mehrunes Dagon (see the Mythic Dawn Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes). We might expect this to come up again during the Clockwork city events.

A contention point between Meridia and Hermaeus Mora : Uluscant

King Laloriaran Dynar was deposed in Bisnensel by a High Priest of Hermaeus Mora called Uluscant. If we are to witness a war between Meridia and her allies on one side, and the Eight of the 2920 truce on the other, among whom is the Old Woodland Man, then this Uluscant might appear again.

A transitional character between Orsinium and Morrowind : Bosriel?

Zenimax might want to create a transition between Orsinium and the Clockworck City DLC. Looking (again) at 2920, we find a character that could provide such kind of link : Bosriel. Bosriel is the *** daughter of a Duke of Mournhold and of Turala Skeffington, a powerful Dunmer witch adopted by a Breton coven. She was presumably killed during an attack by an Orsimer clan on the coven. Her death led Turala to summon Mehrunes Dagon, who then destroyed Mournhold. But what if Bosriel wasn't killed by the Orsimer, but rather taken by them, and raised in Orsinium? Well... even though the Orcs raiders aren't renowned for their kindness, this is not impossible, and is possibly even supported by lore. In the book "The Wraith's Wedding Dowry", an orc thief called Kepkajna gra-Minfang mentions an "Old Bosriel". Of course, it is not sure that said Bosriel is the same as in 2920, but if she is, then it would mean that she survived until at least the end of the Third Era, hence "Old Bosriel", I suppose (one of the people mentioned in this book was a contemporary of the Nerevarine).
Why would Bosriel be important in the coming stories? Because
1. She has ties with both Orsimer and Dunmer.
2. She was birthed by an Ayleid, hinting that Meridia might have plans for her.
3. If the "Kepkajna connection" has anything substantial, then Bosriel also has ties to thieves. Among other, with Redguard thieves. So Bosriel could be introduced in the Abah's landing/Thieves Guild DLC and become a transitional character between the DLCs to come.

Of course, all of this is highly speculative. What do you think? Are there other lore elements you think are foreshadowing of what is to come?
Edited by VerboseQuips on November 19, 2015 2:19PM
My characters:
Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I used a B-word to describe an illegitimate child, which was censored. Apparently, the conceptor of the filter forgot that this wasn't only an insult... :p
    Edited by VerboseQuips on November 19, 2015 2:18PM
    My characters:
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    Why does this thread have NO replies!? This is awesome!
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does this thread have NO replies!? This is awesome!

Thank you. :blush:

Maybe my OP was too long? Or maybe because this part of the forums is less read than the General Discussion?

By the way, I'd love to get to know more about the Great House Sotha. Maybe recover old books about their crafting styles or something...
    My characters:
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know for my part I just missed this post entirely or I'd have replied sooner. >_> I will offer my aplogies in the form of a shiny bit of lore for use in your hypothesis. Here you are: Coldhabour Compact.
    "As for the inactivity of the other Princes, Guild Researchers are tracking down rumors of a so-called 'Coldharbour Compact' that may limit their behavior vis-à-vis Nirn. However, we are not yet in possession of the facts regarding this 'Compact,' if it exists."
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know for my part I just missed this post entirely or I'd have replied sooner. >_> I will offer my aplogies in the form of a shiny bit of lore for use in your hypothesis. Here you are: Coldhabour Compact.
    "As for the inactivity of the other Princes, Guild Researchers are tracking down rumors of a so-called 'Coldharbour Compact' that may limit their behavior vis-à-vis Nirn. However, we are not yet in possession of the facts regarding this 'Compact,' if it exists."

Wow nice! I completely missed that. Than you for showing it! I guess it also points at the truce of 2920? That is starting to be a lot of new references to it in the lore. :smiley:
    My characters:
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That took a lot of work to write! Well done!