The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC\MAC US and EU Realms: Chillrend Campaign closing on November 9th

ZOS_BrianWheeler
ZOS_BrianWheeler
PvP & Combat Lead
We will be removing Chillrend as a Campaign during the regular maintenance on November 9th on PC/Mac US and EU realms. We will continue to look at population across the board, and merge campaigns as necessary to provide a more competitive environment for PVP in Cyrodiil.
Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
Staff Post
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally condensing the PVP population! Now if only we could have pop locked campaigns without 400+ ping...

Is there a reasonable way to separate keep areas and turn them into "mini instances" so to speak? Or split the map up into four quarters? (Wouldn't help for emp dethrone lag though)
    'Chaos
  • BigDSoulReaper
    when will this be coming to console?
    Immortal Kings GuildMaster
    immortalkingz.com
    There are greats, there are legends, then there are Immortals!
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good to see my record of playing on closed campaigns will now be 3/3... and I use the worrd 'good' quite wrongly...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see my record of playing on closed campaigns will now be 3/3... and I use the worrd 'good' quite wrongly...

Why do you play on the most empty campaigns, though?
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    @spenc_cathb16_ESO The short answer is no, there is no easy way to split keeps off into their own instances or even the three portions of Cyrodiil at this time.
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @spenc_cathb16_ESO The short answer is no, there is no easy way to split keeps off into their own instances or even the three portions of Cyrodiil at this time.

There's already three instances in Cyrodiil though. Overland, Sewers, IC Districts.
    Why not split overland Cyrodiil even further? See image below for an example.

Instances_Cyro.png

Edit: Thanks in advance for the reply, much appreciated.
    Edited by _Chaos on November 4, 2015 6:39PM
    'Chaos
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler What about phasing/sharding Cyrodiil the same way it's done for all other zones.

Then, when you get close to a keep, a prompt appears: "Do you want to join this battle?"
    • Click Yes and you get put in the same phase as everyone else seiging that keep.
    • Click No you stay in your own phase but that keep is non-interactive.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler What about phasing/sharding Cyrodiil the same way it's done for all other zones.

Then, when you get close to a keep, a prompt appears: "Do you want to join this battle?"
    • Click Yes and you get put in the same phase as everyone else seiging that keep.

Sounds like load screens
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erondil wrote: »

Did ye not know matey?, cos they love next to no opposition, hence one of the reasons why I left Legio, although to be fair now, they are getting into the thick of things a lot more, which is good to see.

On topic, good to see Chilly being shut down, but hope it does not cause more lag in the proper campaigns like Azuras and what not....
    Edited by SHADOW2KK on November 4, 2015 6:39PM
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dumb idea until lag is fixed....
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Let me clarify...the concept of splitting Cyrodiil into it's three portions and designing a method of them all interacting is not a difficult concept...the server tech and amount of time required to do such a change however, would not be.
    Edited by ZOS_BrianWheeler on November 4, 2015 8:28PM
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wordz
    A similar idea has been suggested before....somewhere in the thread below....just not with game -re designing concept of different phases for each third.

I will shamelessly point you to my post from August 18, 2015.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2163507/#Comment_2163507
    Edited by Darlgon on November 4, 2015 9:39PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Nafirian
    Nafirian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me clarify...the concept of splitting Cyrodiil into it's three portions and designing a method of them all interacting is not a difficult concept...the server tech and amount of time required to do such a change however, would not be.

You wanna fix lag i know this isnt your department But step A NO AOE Caps Step B Dynamic ult put it on the pts and allow us to test and if it solves the problems then done you over think things far too much much and give us stuff we never wanted @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno Just listen theres no harm with puting something on the pts and allowing us to test no? theres a reason its called Public TEST Server Plox ZOS your game has so much potential but you blatantly ignore it <3
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will be removing Chillrend as a Campaign during the regular maintenance on November 9th on PC/Mac US and EU realms. We will continue to look at population across the board, and merge campaigns as necessary to provide a more competitive environment for PVP in Cyrodiil.

awesome, thank you.
    much needed, in my belief.
  • jrkhan
    jrkhan
    ✭✭✭

Oh! While your lurking... aoe damage hitting all players in a stack for full damage (pvp change only) technically possible? What are the downsides? I've honestly never heard a rebuttal to this from any other player.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really happy to see this, I feel we could lose one or two 30 days as well leaving only two (how it used to be).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's already three instances in Cyrodiil though. Overland, Sewers, IC Districts.

Instances_Cyro.png

I hope they will never split Cyrodiil!

I already played GW2, been there, done that. Cyrodiil as a huge open zone without boundaries in traveling (and especially without loading screens inbetween) is what I am here for.

Maybe this would reduce overall lag (which I doubt, because a three-way fight at BRK would still lag out the zone destroying the "big fight" feeling) but having to pass a loading screen of sillyness everytime I die and want to run back to Nikels from Roe? No thx.
    Legedric the Flamedancer ► - Redguard Dragon Knight
    Legedric the Stormdancer ► - Altmer Sorcerer
    Legedric the Sundancer ► - Altmer Templar

EU | DRUCKWELLE - Retter des Kaiserreiches
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erondil wrote: »

Maybe I am just so damn good at PvP that I have single handedly scared off the combined forces of both other alliances from each campaign in turn?

But seriously folks...

Because none were empty when I started playing on them and once I get to know the campaign I feel strangely loyal to it - it's not like I sought out campaigns they were going to close.

Possibly more importantly I'm not a super hardcore PvP player and prefer to have regular relatively lag free small scale PvP rather than 300 people standing on a flag using light attacks, waiting to see which alliance lags out first... the AP may be good but the entertainment is lacking.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legedric wrote: »

Instances_Cyro.png

I hope they will never split Cyrodiil!

I already played GW2, been there, done that. Cyrodiil as a huge open zone without boundaries in traveling (and especially without loading screens inbetween) is what I am here for.

Maybe this would reduce overall lag (which I doubt, because a three-way fight at BRK would still lag out the zone destroying the "big fight" feeling) but having to pass a loading screen of sillyness everytime I die and want to run back to Nikels from Roe? No thx.
    @spenc_cathb16_ESO Overland Cyro, IC Districts and IC Sewers aren't really instances of Cyrodiil in the way Brian is alluding to. For loading purposes, they are their own "zones" independent of Cyrodiil.

The logical place to split it, which I think Brian was alluding to, would be along the three Territory borders (where the milegates and bridges are), rather than down the middle of each territory. But that would probably remove all the chokepoint battles that those places are so good for.

@MisterBigglesworth Cyrodiil already is sharded into different instances like the other zones. That's what the different campaigns are, and how campaign population caps are handled.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler Out of interest, when will Belharza be opened on Console?
    Edited by Enodoc on November 5, 2015 5:17PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler do we get campaign rewards on closure?

PC EU
    PvP only
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    @MisterBigglesworth Cyrodiil already is sharded into different instances like the other zones. That's what the different campaigns are, and how campaign population caps are handled.

No it isn't. Not in the way I'm proposing.
    I want every single Keep and outpost on it's own individual shard.
    That way when there's a huge battle over at Chalman it doesn't cause lag on the other side of the map.

This is the way Blizzard handles huge overpopulated servers in WoW.
    I'm on the Stormrage server. Population: 170,000+
    They prevent too many people in one spot by dynamically spooling up additional instances/shards of a zone as need (it's basically a Megaserver) but they still let players override that by joining a raid (40 people from different shards all now in the same shard in order to take down a world boss)

...oh and btw you can change phases/shards in WoW WITHOUT LOADING SCREENS!!! (crazy I know)
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    You will get campaign rewards on closure depending on your leaderboard status, Tier and how your Alliance is doing at the time of closure in regards to the Campaign overall score.
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good start but we need more than just Chillrend closed. Two of the 30 day campaigns being shut down would also help a lot. i rarely ever see more than 1 poplocked an another with medium to high. The other two never get over medium on barely 1 faction.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta be careful tho, 1 of the 30 day camps (azura) is laggy all the livelong day except maybe very early/or late depending how you look at it.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the detailed heads up. <3
    Now I can finally "un-home" two of my characters who never go to Cyrodiil (only for the intro-quests) and block up campaigns...
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    When will this be announced on the French (and German?) forums?

• ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    What is the goal of this; is this a good thing? Could someone explain why to the noob I am, please? And what will be the results of this?

Edited by ladyonthemoon on November 6, 2015 7:08AM
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian, I'm sure this is a very broad topic but I'm personally curious as to what's being worked on and prioritized at the moment in terms of server performance boosting? I'm not a tech guy by any means, but based on my pvp experience, usually 2 things happen;

1. We're in quite big fights that are 'almost' not lagged at all, indicating to me that the server 'could' handle this but is not quite there yet, and;

2. Medium to big fights that are totally lagged because we have groups of players spamming the crap out of everything at the same time and in very short intervals, loading up the server like crazy.

In my layman's opinion, this can only be fixed in two ways, corresponding to the problems I've identified;

1. Optimize the server further, re-design how certain skills work and make them as less stressful as possible, consider removing some and replacing with totally new ones that are 'similar' in nature, but work much differently. Who cares if it's someone's 'favorite skill', if that skill is a major offender, it should go and be replaced with something similar, but much more efficient. People might even prefer the new ones, plus the improved performance is something most of us PVPers would prioritize over anything else really.

2. Punish 'blobs' or 'balls' or whatever you call those specific groups of players that are lagging things out. Sure, they can argue that 'they want to play the way they want to play', but if that's ruining it for everyone else on a constant basis, then I'm sorry but who cares how you want to play when everyone else is almost unable to play at all. Maybe make them bleed their alliance points in huge quantities when they die, as a 'penalty' for being too much stacked or inside each other for a prolonged period of time.

And then as a last suggestion, add a ton of other smaller pvp objectives all across Cyrodiil. All those towns, caves, dungeons, monasteries and temples, basically anything you look on the map, add some sort of incentive to go there again and actually spend some time there.
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    There are some specific ability changes coming up very soon that reduce physics calls by either restructuring them or adjusting the amount of times they hit a Line of sight or other physics check.

We're looking into other methods of spreading players out as well regarding town capture and adding other activities to do in Cyrodiil. There is no ETA on that yet as we're still going to keep pushing for further ability optimizations and more back-end work to get the performance better.

As far as not shutting down more Campaigns, we need the tech (which is in progress by the way) to allow players to un-assign themselves as well as removing the restriction that you can't have cross alliance characters on a single account assigned to the same Campaign. That being said however, we will be measuring the value of condensed campaigns vs. total population vs. performance and making the call as to how many Campaigns are running at that time.
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news @ZOS_BrianWheeler

It's good to see our PvP Dev hasn't thrown the white flag of surrender yet.

I hope the "Specific Ability Changes" coming up are the removal of AoE caps. I swear that term is like the Elephant in the Room... ZoS has been so consistent in failing to even bat an eyelash at mention of it I swear Wrobel must be holding your families hostage or something.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube