The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[OUTDATED] The Unholy Herdsman - Thelon's Pet Build

Thelon
Thelon
✭✭✭✭✭
OBJECTIVE

The objective is to create a Sorcerer Pet Build that excels at solo play while remaining viable and dependable for group action.

MEDIA

CHARACTER STATS

IFiBFLX.png

VIDEOS

ESO Skills

Skills and Passives Used

RACE

Altmer or Breton are your best choices. Altmers will deal more damage while Bretons will enjoy extra cost reduction and spell resistance.

MUNDUS STONE

The Thief - Increasing critical chance is the best way for this build to increase our offence from damage skills.

ATTRIBUTE POINTS

Magicka - 64 - Magicka provides both offense and defense, as your pet’s damage, your Hardened Ward and your own damage scale from this stat.
Health - 0 - You can achieve an acceptable health pool without putting any attribute points here.
Stamina - 0 - Not a priority for this build.

CHAMPION POINTS - TOTAL: 501

THE MAGE

The Apprentice - 100 x Elemental Expert, 18 x Elfborn, 44 x Spell Erosion
The Ritual - 5 x Thaumaturge

THE WARRIOR

The Lady - 42 x Hardy, 41 x Elemental Defender
The Lord - 84 x Bastion

THE THIEF

The Tower - 83 x Magician
The Lover - 83 x Arcanist
The Shadow - 1 x Tumbling

GEAR

With Maelstrom Staff

Chest – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Infused – Max Magicka Enchantment
Belt – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Boots – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Gloves – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Legs – Torug’s Pact – Light Armor – Infused – Max Magicka Enchantment
Helm – Torug’s Pact – Heavy Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Shoulders – Molag Kena – Medium Armor – Infused – Max Magicka Enchantment

Neck – Necklace of Willpower – Arcane – Spell Damage Enchant
Ring – Ring of Willpower – Arcane – Spell Damage Enchant
Ring – Ring of Willpower – Healthy – Spell Damage Enchant

1st Weapon – Maelstrom’s Inferno Staff – Sharpened or Precise – Do Not Re-Enchant
2nd Weapon – 1 x Magnus’ Restoration Staff – Defending or Sharpened – Absorb Magicka Enchant

Without Maelstrom Staff

Chest – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Infused – Max Magicka Enchantment
Belt – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Boots – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Gloves – Magnus’ Gift – Light Armor – Divines – Max Magicka Enchantment
Legs – Torug’s Pact – Light Armor – Infused – Max Magicka Enchantment

Neck – Necklace of Willpower – Arcane – Spell Damage Enchant
Ring – Ring of Willpower – Arcane – Spell Damage Enchant
Ring – Ring of Willpower – Healthy – Spell Damage Enchant

1st Weapon – Inferno Staff of Torug’s Pact – Sharpened – Fire Damage Enchant
2nd Weapon – 2 x Sword of Torug’s Pact – Sharpened – Shock Damage Enchant
or
2nd Weapon – Restoration Staff of the Magnus – Defending – Absorb Magicka Enchant

Engine Guardian – Use this set for encounters that require excellent resource management.
Nerien ‘Eth – Use the set for encounters that do not require excellent resource management.

UNDAUNTED METTLE

When crafting your gear set, it is important to take advantage of the Undaunted Passive Undaunted Mettle. This means that you need to have 5 light armor, 1 medium armor and 1 heavy armor. Start by determining the armor types of your Undaunted Sets and craft the remaining pieces accordingly.

SIDEBOARD

A sideboard is additional gear you should carry with you at all times while soloing. It will augment the build's flexibility, allowing you to take on different challenges and to adjust strategies on the fly.

Ring of Willpower - Healthy - Magicka Cost Reduction Enchant
Use this for encounters where resource management is a higher priority than DPS.

SKILLS

BAR 1

Force Pulse
Hardened Ward
Blockade of Fire
Unstable Clannfear
Twilight Tormentor
Ultimate – Suppression Field

BAR 2

Power Surge
Harness Magicka
Liquid Lightning
Unstable Clannfear
Twilight Tormentor
Ultimate – Energy Overload

OVERLOAD BAR

Liquid Lightning
Hardened Ward
Inner Light
Twilight Tormentor
Unstable Clannfearr

SKILL REPLACEMENT

Blockade of Fire – Replace with Elemental Ring when higher AoE DPS is required.
Liquid Lightning (Overload Bar) – Replace with Ball of Lightning where high mobility is required.
Unstable Clannfear – Replace with Bound Armor when grouped with a competent tank and healer
Twilight Tormentor – Replace with Bound Armor for encounters where it dies too easily.

CONSUMABLES

This build performs best when you "chain-chug" Spell Power Potions to maintain your Major Sorcery and Major Prophecy buffs. Due to the toggled abilities this build requires, we won't have room for the skills that provide these buffs.

Always use blue food with + max health and + max magicka.

HELPFUL HINTS FOR SOLO PLAY

Since there are several detailed builds describing how to competently play a sorcerer in PvE groups, I'll use this section to explain some helpful hints on how to maximize this build's potential in solo play.

Balance is Key - To solo difficult content, you'll need a balance between the damage you deal, your survivability and your resource management. For a Sorcerer Pet Build, this means you'll need spell damage, max magicka, magicka recovery and magicka cost reduction. Any gear combination that achieves this balance will function effectively in solo situations.

Flexibility is Key - Being able to change strategies on the fly is very important when tackling difficult solo content. Bringing gear with different enchantments on it (i.e. an extra Ring of Willpower with Magicka Cost Reduction) and leveling situational skills (i.e. Ball of Lightning) will allow you to adjust the build based on your situation.

Kiting is Key - Many of the hardest solo encounters will require high mobility. You should practice kiting bosses and groups of mobs alike - the skill to handle both will be required to solo some of the game's group content.

Sara the Tri-Sara-Tops is Key - Your Clannfear is both your tank and your pocket healer, and needs to be kept alive as consistently as possible. Her activated skill is a significant and affordable heal that affects both you and the Clannfear and does not suffer from the range limitations that the Twilight's heal does. Further, being the tank pet, the Clannfear is alive more consistently to provide you with a crucial heal when needed. Remember to refresh Hardened Ward regularly to increase your Pets' chances of survival.
Edited by Thelon on November 15, 2016 11:05PM
  • Swindy
    Swindy
    ✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    Hope this gets some solo players excited - full build coming soon!

Nice video.

I've been individually slaughtered by almost everything in that video too...ahhh, nostalgia. :smile:
    II Swindy II

Australian on Xbox NA (ex EU)
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    Hope this gets some solo players excited - full build coming soon!

updated build?

excellent.

• Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swindy wrote: »
    Nice video.

I've been individually slaughtered by almost everything in that video too...ahhh, nostalgia. :smile:

Thanks! There's nothing like getting slaughtered by a tough boss dozens of times - it makes that first win all the better!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    updated build?

excellent.

It will be updated soon! I'm just working on the write-up and taking cool screenies!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The full update is posted! The build is current to Patch 2.1.9.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve completed a major update for the build. It is now current to patch 2.2.8.

Changes include:

– Updated Character Stats
    – Changed the Mundus Stone section to recommend The Thief for all situations.
    – Updated the Champion Points section to reflect my current allocations.
    – Removed less useful options from the Undaunted Sets section.
    – Removed less useful options from the Skills section.
    – Changed the Sideboard section to recommend Dual Wield Swords instead of Two Handed Sword.
    – Updated the Skill Replacement section to indicate that replacing Bound Aegis for more flex slots is an option.
    – Updated the Helpful Hints section to be consistent with other listed changes.
    – Linked additional videos in the Media section, including:

World First - Thelon Solos Ra Kotu (HR Trial Boss)

Thelon vs Voriak Solkyn (vMA Final Boss)

Thelon vs The Ringmaster

Thelon vs Nunatak

Thelon vs Immolator Charr

[Trailer] The Unholy Herdsman - Thelon's Pet Build
    Edited by Thelon on December 18, 2015 12:19AM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone!

After spending a bit of time on the PTS, I just wanted to post a few impressions about the upcoming changes:

- The new active abilities are fantastic. They make pets feel much more commandable, and afford players more build options

- The pets still "feel" like toggles. They must be active on all bars or they die on weapon swap.

- For DPS builds, the Twilight buff is great while you're sitting in Overload

- For Healer builds, the Twilight has a fantastic "Breath of Life" that is reliable as long as the pet is alive and in range

- For Tank and Solo builds, the Clannfear's heal is affordable and no longer requires you to unsummon her

- I remain disappointed with Daedric Prey, but will test further on the live server

- The addition of Pet health regen increases their durability across the board

- The addition of refreshable shields on pets increases their durability across the board

- The addition of Pet stealth in PvP increases their viability in Cyrodiil (though they lack burst damage options)

- The Storm Atronach's break free is a welcome addition to improve PvP viability, but should have been applied to all pets

- The Maw of the Infernal set remains questionable in both PvE and PvP due to competing sets (Kena and E. Guardian)
    Edited by Thelon on February 24, 2016 11:23PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any changes based on the PTS to your build?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any changes based on the PTS to your build?

I'm going to do more testing when the Thieves Guild patch goes live. I'll update the build after I've had enough time working through all the changes.
  • PCheuk38b14_ESO
    PCheuk38b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Thieves guild DLC only allowing 1 pet summoned at a time?
  • SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭

No, you can still use both.
  • PCheuk38b14_ESO
    PCheuk38b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Man i just want a better pet command system/control.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man i just want a better pet command system/control.

I agree I would be great to have more commands than "attack" and "return" but the new activatable abilities help with this somewhat.

Personally, I've always wanted to be able to command my pets individually. I want to be able to tell Sara the TriSaratops to tank one mob while telling the Twilight to DPS another.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also wouldn't mind stay or stick by me. I'd have twilight stay by me and clan go do his own thing.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also wouldn't mind stay or stick by me.

I'd prefer stand by me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZNL7QVJjE
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be an awful nerf. And no, its not planned

1063yw.jpg
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to the TG update...
  • mrkurokishi
    mrkurokishi
    ✭✭✭
    How do you think, Infernal Maw will do with this setup in the upcoming patch?
    PS4 : mrkurokishi
    Bancha: AD Khajiit magCro (main)
    Koicha: AD Khajiit stamPlar
    Usucha: AD Khajiit stamDen
    Teishu: DC Khajiit magDK
    Shincha: AD Khajiit madSorc
    PC : mrkurokishi
    Malacath's Side Piece: DC Orc stamPlar
  • Arkvoril
    Arkvoril
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to try this build out. Thanks.
    NA/PC

Arkvoril
    Level 50 Altmer Sorcerer
    A Vampire with a Werewolf Companion.
    Master Alchemist and Enchanter;
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you think, Infernal Maw will do with this setup in the upcoming patch?

@mrkurokishi

Its getting buffed, and may be most useful in helping pull aggro away from you during tough trash pulls. It will still struggle to compete against Nerien'Eth and Engine Guardian in most situations.

I think it will still be best suited for the shock and awe factor, and for making people look silly in PvP:

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you sport kena?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you sport kena?

Its a very "bursty" set that's better suited for groups, where you have a competent Healer to help you with resource management. For soloing, ive found it less useful than Nerien'Eth / Engine Guardian in most situations.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »
    I look forward to the TG update...

Me too! I'll be super busy trying out all the new changes.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    waiting for a build update for this current meta..
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    Damn the new pets are awesome. Now people won't outright laugh when I use them.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New trailer posted rawr! Full updated build coming soon!

• Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why Clannfear over Familiar? I would think the pulse from the Familiar would be more DPS than the Clannfear's attacks.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caff32 wrote: »
    Why Clannfear over Familiar? I would think the pulse from the Familiar would be more DPS than the Clannfear's attacks.

I gotta agree here, with the passive healing, hardened ward refreshing itself on pets, I don't see the same kind of necessity for clannfear as before. The big deterrent was that he had to die and be recast, as that's no longer the case he is better.

@Thelon I can see clannfear being more useful for your build because you don't spam ward like I do, what's your thinking on this?

Edit: btw @$!#ing awesome video
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 21, 2016 6:07PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw @$!#ing awesome video

Thanks glad u liked it!