The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Halloween for real money incoming , do I get a reindeer mount next possibly ?

• Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nosam wrote: »
    Wonder how far they will go down the rabbit hole with cash shop trumping lore.

You do realise that this "lore" you speak of is 100% fiction? Glowing halloween head costumes are about as legitimate as the storyline in game.

They need to monetise this game, i'm not a fanboy as a number of mods on this forum can attest, but they need to bring in the cash to pay the bills and allow us to log into the game

NB as an aside and not related to the op,

I do think that we should have a "subscriber" icon next to peoples avatars so we can filter out the dross posted by people who don't contribute.

Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windhelm should be interesting this Christmas.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Nosam
    Nosam
    ✭✭✭
    Tors wrote: »

You do realise that this "lore" you speak of is 100% fiction? Glowing halloween head costumes are about as legitimate as the storyline in game.

They need to monetise this game, i'm not a fanboy as a number of mods on this forum can attest, but they need to bring in the cash to pay the bills and allow us to log into the game

I do think that we should have a "subscriber" icon next to peoples avatars so we can filter out the dross posted by people who don't contribute.

I think its lazy on the creative side. Sell some original [snip] in the cash shop. Not a fall pumpkin festival costume that isn't anything but Halloween.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Trolling & Baiting]
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_Alex on August 15, 2015 1:34PM
  • NDwarf
    NDwarf
    ✭✭✭
    Tors wrote: »

I know right? Only ESO+ should be able to post to the forums. That keeps all the poors and riff-raff out of the neighborhood. Also hippies. Dirty, dirty hippies.

I knew when Elder Scrolls was going the MMO route that it was going to jump the shark. MMO players love their glowing mounts and holiday events. At least it hasn't gone full Asian mmo with sailor moon skirts and swords 3x bigger than the player...for now.

Although I know I'm looking forward to PS4 voice chat on Xmas when we get our presents. If you ever been to a WoW Xmas event the text chat and trolling is top notch. Now imagine that + voice chat :smiley:
    "When people !@# with you you !@# with them ten times worse. Next thing you know, you're in a motel room with 24 beers and a half bucket of chicken. You see, that's how you get things done." Ricky, Trailer Park Boys.
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    No to Halloween mounts and disguises, we're in ELDER SCROLLS not in Wildstar or Hello Kitty Online

pissed off
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • Aerius_Sygale
    Aerius_Sygale
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banky71 wrote: »
    I like Halloween...Christmas I can do without.

Repulsive...Christmas is my favorite holiday, Halloween is probably my least... /facepalm
    PS4/PS5, NA | PSN: AeriusSygale | Alliance War Rank 50 (Grand Overlord Grade 2) | CP: 2560+
  • Tommy_valkyria
    Tommy_valkyria
    ✭✭✭
    Breton Hero costume though.. <3
  • Aerius_Sygale
    Aerius_Sygale
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breton Hero costume though.. <3

Agreed, I need that Breton Hero Costume so bad, wish I knew when it would become available~<3
    PS4/PS5, NA | PSN: AeriusSygale | Alliance War Rank 50 (Grand Overlord Grade 2) | CP: 2560+
  • Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    • Morning Star 1st - New Life Festival in celebration of a new year. With the tradition of free ale at all the taverns.
    • Sun's Dawn 16th - Heart's Day is a holiday celebrated all over Tamriel. It seems that in every house, the Legend of the Lovers is being sung for the younger generation. In honor, the inns offer a free room for visitors.
    • Rain's Hand 28th - Be warned that during Jester's Day, pranks are set up from one end of town to the other.
    • Last Seed 21st - Appreciation Day is an ancient holiday of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest. It is considered a holy and contemplative day.
    • Frostfall 13th - This day is known throughout Tamriel as the Witches' Festival when the forces of sorcery and religion clash. Demonologists, conjurors, lamias, warlocks, and thaumaturgists meet in the wilderness and the creatures created or summoned there may plague Tamriel for eons.
    • Evening Star 25th - Saturalia was originally a holiday for a long forgotten god of debauchery, it has become a time of gift giving, parties, and parading.
    • Evening Star 31st - On the last day of the year Tamriel celebrates the holiday called Old Life. Many go to the temples to reflect on their past. When ale flows free in all the taverns in all the cities of Tamriel.
    • And much more...
    TES already has its own holidays, and even though some are related to RL holidays, they are not the same. Saturalia does NOT have "Saturalia Trees" NOR a "Saint Claude" that gives presents to naughty adventurers. The Witches' Festival has NOTHING to do with pumpkins.
    Also, most of these Tamrielic Holidays have different dates from those in our world.
    So there's no need to add RL events to ESO, it would only ruin Lore/Immersion. The last thing we need is people with pumpkins on their heads and an elderly bearded Breton named Claude flying around in an enchanted carriage.

Edited by Ghrimn on August 15, 2015 12:18AM
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those who don't know lore need more Kyne in there life.
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ghrimn wrote: »
    • Morning Star 1st - New Life Festival in celebration of a new year. With the tradition of free ale at all the taverns.
    • Sun's Dawn 16th - Heart's Day is a holiday celebrated all over Tamriel. It seems that in every house, the Legend of the Lovers is being sung for the younger generation. In honor, the inns offer a free room for visitors.
    • Rain's Hand 28th - Be warned that during Jester's Day, pranks are set up from one end of town to the other.
    • Last Seed 21st - Appreciation Day is an ancient holiday of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest. It is considered a holy and contemplative day.
    • Frostfall 13th - This day is known throughout Tamriel as the Witches' Festival when the forces of sorcery and religion clash. Demonologists, conjurors, lamias, warlocks, and thaumaturgists meet in the wilderness and the creatures created or summoned there may plague Tamriel for eons.
    • Evening Star 25th - Saturalia was originally a holiday for a long forgotten god of debauchery, it has become a time of gift giving, parties, and parading.
    • Evening Star 31st - On the last day of the year Tamriel celebrates the holiday called Old Life. Many go to the temples to reflect on their past. When ale flows free in all the taverns in all the cities of Tamriel.
    • And much more...
    TES already has its own holidays, and even though some are related to RL holidays, they are not the same. Saturalia does NOT have "Saturalia Trees" NOR a "Saint Claude" that gives presents to naughty adventurers. The Witches' Festival has NOTHING to do with pumpkins.
    Also, most of these Tamrielic Holidays have different dates from those in our world.
    So there's no need to add RL events to ESO, it would only ruin Lore/Immersion. The last thing we need is people with pumpkins on their heads and an elderly bearded Breton named Claude flying around in an enchanted carriage.

The spectre polymorphs in and of themselves could be Witches festival related, but the pumpkin clearly has no precedent in the lore and is a clear example of borrowing from the real life fall seasonal holidays.

This wouldnt' be the first time that ESO has invented something new in the lore, though so adding pumpkins as a part of the witches festival in this era isn't too radical in my opinion.
  • Banky71
    Banky71
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banky71 wrote: »
    I like Halloween...Christmas I can do without.

Repulsive...Christmas is my favorite holiday, Halloween is probably my least... /facepalm

It's from not having a family. Halloween is fun Christmas is a time of people feeling bad for you when you don't have anything to do even though it doesn't bother you in the slightest. It's like you tell some one you aren't doing anything and they give you a look of horror and you end up apologizing to them so they don't feel bad. Christmas is so messed up.
    If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.

gamertag - xbone Banky71
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That Guar tho... probably will buy it.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing that was both cool and annoying about previous MMO's, i liked the gifts around holidays for awhile, then it got out of hand and became the only reason for ppl to log in, it turned into a fashion show.
  • Kleptobrainiac
    Kleptobrainiac
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing. They could be selling convertibles & skateboards like ArchAge.
    The artist formerly known as StaticWax.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously don't see the problem. If you don't like the costumes, don't buy them. Don´t talk like your emersion is the only thing that matters in this game, because lets face it, games are made by companies and companies need money. If it sells it´s a success. The world has always, still does and will always function like this. I´m sorry, but deal with it.

I for one think seasonal stuff is cool as it brings more diversity and character customization to the game. Would love to see more.
    Edited by Woeler on August 15, 2015 12:50AM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up next, playable Dwemer and Falmer! Ride your own Dragon and look like Santa while you do so!

The only thing keeping me here is the lore, if they screw it up further I'm off.. I hear WoW are still pumping out content, oh, and GW2 is having an massive expansion soon. Literally every time this topic comes up a majority scream "No, it's not appropriate for that game" and what do you guys do? I thought I couldn't be more disappointed in a company, and you've gone and done this.
    Edited by The_Sadist on August 15, 2015 1:10AM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • And much more...

I agree that the seasonal impulse novelties should be kept to a minimum, but there's probably a lot more correlation between real world holidays and ES holidays than you might think. Just to look at the examples you cited:

The tamrielic calendar:
    http://www.imperial-library.info/content/calendar-tamriel

Saturalia bears a striking resemblance to Saturnalia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Witches Festival has similarities to Samhain (pronounced sowehn).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

I think we'll see how closely ZoS is pushing this if they offer giant bunny mounts come Easter / Ostara.

• Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companies like to tie holidays in with limited sale items, news at 11.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skeletal horse looks pretty cool.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subscriber since Day 1.

If IRL Holidays make their way into the game, I'm done. Serious as a heart attack.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nine9six wrote: »
    Subscriber since Day 1.

If IRL Holidays make their way into the game, I'm done. Serious as a heart attack.

We'll be waiting for you with the Santa Suit come Xmas Time.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll post a video of me deleting all of my *** and unsubscribing.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.

I will gladly eat a hat if you do it.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're going to be immortalized on these forums...
  • Quintal
    Quintal
    ✭✭✭
    We were joking with my friend after they added fire-hoofs horse that they will add ice-hoofs horse...and it actually happend :open_mouth: So, now it's skeletal mount? You must be sooo desperate for money. Alduin-brood mount next month perhaps, ZO$ ?
    ''Subscription fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make.''
    -Matt Firor
    Nick Konkle no longer part of ZOS
    Maria Aliprando no longer part of ZOS
    Paul Sage no longer part of ZOS
  • biovitalb16_ESO
    biovitalb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the limited time only Orange Senche-Leopard
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    say what you want, im able to look past all the "lore breaking" i play the game cause i like the game, fiction is just that that,anything imaginable. if they want to add rideable gorillas with banana cannons, w/e. its not this "sacred thing" to me.
  • Gamertaglemieux
    Gamertaglemieux
    ✭✭✭
    http://elderscrolls.net/2015/08/14/14326-tes-online-budushhee-magazina-tovarov-za-krony-patch-2-1-1/?from=eso-forum

Sigh , I guess I should not be surprised. One of the things I wasn't thrilled about in FF was injecting real world holidays and calling them something different. A pumpkin outfit in the fall is Halloween whether they want to admit it or not. Wonder how far they will go down the rabbit hole with cash shop trumping lore.

It's all downhill from here, unfortunately. This thread will probably get locked just like the last one did about this exact same subject with the exact same link you just posted.

@Akavir_Sentinel
    Bitter?

Player was just expressing his thoughts. Nothing wrong with doing so.

There is really no need to be derogatory or condescending.
    Queen Ayrenn build that wall around Summerset.

Make Shimmerene great again!
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    • And much more...

I was going to put something like this. They should definitely stick to tamrielic holidays imo. Here's the link for the whole article.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Calendar#Holidays

I'll take a skeletal horse to go though, please. Go nice with my Mage, just like Arvak.
    Edited by Enteum on August 15, 2015 7:03AM
    Asira Avalis - Mage