Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Did the idea for "Molag Bal" come from Malebolgia from Spawn??

vaxscx
vaxscx
I know the Spawn movie series is old and Malebolgia looks a little different (like the ears, green eyes instead of blue, where the spikes are located on the arms, and how the hands are webbed instead of apart) but i just remembered looking back these two look very similar to me..maybe some old spawn fans in zenimax?? :)
molag-bal-teso.jpeg
series17_malebolgia2_photo_01_dl.jpg

• vaxscx
    vaxscx
    also you can can make molag bal's name out of malebolgia..
  • vaxscx
    vaxscx
    bottom picture is malebolgia from spawn by the way
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doubtful, the first TES was made in 1994 and the Spawn movies are from what, around 1999?
  • vaxscx
    vaxscx
    nah i don't mean to say they ripped off spawn i mean maybe the idea or inspiration of molag bals appearance changed after the release?
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure but Molag Bal Was around since TES Daggerfal. If any link is to be made it should be made with that depiction.
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Molag_Bal
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Dante_Ravenkin
    I'll point of that the malebolgia were the circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno. It's possible that was the inspiration since he's so.... Hellish.
    'This throne is arguably the most uncomfortable piece of furniture in the Kingdom. And I get to use it.'
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Doubtful, the first TES was made in 1994 and the Spawn movies are from what, around 1999?

The Spawn comics were from 92.
    Edited by PBpsy on July 2, 2015 6:27AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • vaxscx
    vaxscx
    yeah i know guys maybe i should have rewrote it im NOT saying anyone ripped off anyone..pure inspiration question not ripping off
  • vaxscx
    vaxscx
    PBpsy wrote: »

The Spawn comics were from 92.

"the character first appeared in Spawn #1 (May 1992)." taken straight from wikipedia..
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense most stuff in ES are from the 90s. ES is so old-school Fantasy as can be actually, theres really that 90s vibe, too bad most wont realize it.

vaxscx wrote: »
    yeah i know guys maybe i should have rewrote it im NOT saying anyone ripped off anyone..pure inspiration question not ripping off

Please they have ripped off everything from the 90s, thats how game industry works, its competition, one does something, one takes it and do it better. Just like ESO's pet, where the people think they got the inspiration for those, maybe from WoW? EQN is perfect example, how much series can change under the pressure.
    Edited by Sausage on July 2, 2015 7:08AM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sausage wrote: »
    Makes sense most stuff in ES are from the 90s. ES is so old-school Fantasy as can be actually, theres really that 90s vibe, too bad most wont realize it.

The inspirations for the Elder Scrolls series was:
    -Lord of the Rings - started in the late 30s, published in the 50s
    -The Ultima games - originally conceived in the late 70s, published through the 80s and 90s
    -D&D - originally released in the mid-70s
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

-The Ultima games - originally conceived in the late 70s, published through the 80s and 90s
    And a thousand other more or less influential things, including religions and philosophical concepts.

Molag Bal has always looked diabolically, particularly back in Daggerfall - Morrowind and Oblivion had a bit of a water creature theme going on, which makes sense considering he was the Ruddy Man, even though the statues aren't very similar to how he's supposed to look. Anyway, it's entirely possible someone at Bethesda was inspired by Spawn, the similarities are obvious - or both had a common origin in Dante's Inferno, as it's been pointed out.
    Edited by Rosveen on July 2, 2015 10:01AM
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Dante's Inferno. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malebolge

Most depictions of thematic demons originate from Dante's Inferno.
    The design could come from a number of places.
    Edited by Spottswoode on July 2, 2015 10:03AM
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it was an intentional thing, maybe?

Molag Bal's appearance has changed a lot. Well, by changed, I mean streamlined and updated as graphics capabilities have grown.

I love that he is voiced by Malcolm McDowell though. That was a good choice.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • IXI_WiCKeD_IXI
    IXI_WiCKeD_IXI
    ✭✭✭
    vaxscx wrote: »
    I know the Spawn movie series is old and Malebolgia looks a little different (like the ears, green eyes instead of blue, where the spikes are located on the arms, and how the hands are webbed instead of apart) but i just remembered looking back these two look very similar to me..maybe some old spawn fans in zenimax?? :)
    molag-bal-teso.jpeg
    series17_malebolgia2_photo_01_dl.jpg

"Give my regards to your boss. Tell him he's next."
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baal was an ancient Semitic god frequently cited in the Bible as someone who Yaweh had a real rivalry thing going on with (as in "DON'T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT WORSHIPING THAT BAAL, GIRL! WE'RE EXCLUSIVE!"). And Molag is one of those vaguely ominous sounding villain names that you see all the time in fiction that needs to hit you over the head with "This character is the BAD GUY!"--like Mal-whatever or Dark-whatever or Evil-whatever (see every bad guy name in every Star Wars and Harry Potter book or movie, for example).

• Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can assure you, they have read some books like Dragonlance books or Michael Moorcock's books, and watched Hercules and Xena TV-series too. ES is melting pot of the 90s. I just checked Wikipedia, who could ever knew Hercules from the 1998 had Disney involed. I bet there tons more. That one guy without hand is obviously Raistlin. Lastly, player can play Evil character is kind of 90s too, after WoW and LOTR movie, hero stuff and good wins always kind of appeared.
    Edited by Sausage on July 2, 2015 3:19PM
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    possibly. as old as TES and the comics are its likley.

at the very least the modern iteration definitly bears that semblance
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • FelixTheCatt
    FelixTheCatt
    ✭✭✭
    I still have that huge Malebolgia on a shelf centerpiecing my McFarlane collection. That's kinda freaky the resemblance between the two seeing them side by side.
    Xbox - Kuchini07
    Eso - FaCoffinDye (EP)
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭

But the movies were based on a comic book that debuted in 1992, before the TES franchise.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4unh9p-eezg

Reccomend you also check out the guys channel for alot more Lore and fun facts not only about elder scrolls but dragon age fallout and so on.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The first issue of Spawn came out in May of 1992.... So who knows!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(comics)
    Edited by Robbmrp on July 2, 2015 4:20PM
    NA Server - Kildair