The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Custom events

Olivierko
Olivierko
✭✭✭
Hello,

Would it be possible to add the possibility to raise custom events or similar to the API?

What I'm suggestion could be a simple event that could be manually raised, for instance:

- EVENT_CUSTOM_ACTION(string eventCode, string addonName, table data)
- function RaiseCustomAction(table data)

I'm looking for a solution in order to communicate between clients without abusing the current state of the API, currently we can raise existing events manually and do the best with what we have but it has limitations and it's obviously not a intended implementation, I'm referring to the map ping handling.

Would love to have a response on this topic whether or not it's something that could possibly be considered at all.
Addons:PointificatorRaidificator

1. Dar'diov ★ AvA 25 ★ Nightblade
  2. Tig'ger ★ AvA 9 ★ Dragonknight
  3. Ba'bushka ★ AvA 28 ★ Sorcerer
  4. Hails-To-Putin ★ AvA 18 ★ Templar
  5. Ba'boon ★ AvA 13 ★ Sorcerer

6. PC EU ★ Aldmeri DominionYoutube
  • Atropos
    Atropos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that they would be willing to consider a background chat channel for addons to use to communicate before they would consider triggering custom events, but I'll keep an eye out for an official response.

I can certainly agree that the ping method is far from ideal.
    Creator - Tamriel Foundry
    Author - Foundry Tactical Combat
    Guild Master - Entropy Rising
    Noob - Twitch streamer.
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it seems that if Zenimax wants to allow people to communicate across clients they'll want to do some kind of addon communication channel similar to World of Warcraft. At least that way they could probably throttle it and allow authors to control who gets what information sent to their client.
    I love Lua
    Mac: Pawkette< Templar, DC >
    PS4: Pawkette< Templar, AD >
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are already custom channels, we just can't talk and listen on them.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • Olivierko
    Olivierko
    ✭✭✭
    Ayantir wrote: »
    there are already custom channels, we just can't talk and listen on them.

Right, please by all means elaborate, there's no such thing as far as I'm aware in the current API.
    Atropos wrote: »
    I suspect that they would be willing to consider a background chat channel for addons to use to communicate before they would consider triggering custom events, but I'll keep an eye out for an official response.

I can certainly agree that the ping method is far from ideal.

If the offset values would be accurate I wouldn't bothered posting this topic in the first place, since the values are "normalized" I can't fulfill the purpose that I wish to accomplish.

I would love to see a solution which would allow me to send strings between clients in any way, my initial idea was to ascii format data, unfortunately the offset values are not corresponding to the values that I send to the actual ping, meaning I can't translate/convert the values back to the corresponding characters.

I can't see a reason why Zenimax shouldn't implement a custom event handling, afaik it wouldn't affect the performance if it would work as the map ping (group specific).

This suggestion would improve the quality and features to many add-ons and I can't see any downside of the actual implementation as long as it's group specific.
    Pawkette wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems that if Zenimax wants to allow people to communicate across clients they'll want to do some kind of addon communication channel similar to World of Warcraft. At least that way they could probably throttle it and allow authors to control who gets what information sent to their client.

I never did any add-ons to WOW, and I don't know what you mean by channels, would love to get some insight in what the foundation of a channel actually is.

Edited by Olivierko on June 20, 2015 12:42AM
    Addons:PointificatorRaidificator

1. Dar'diov ★ AvA 25 ★ Nightblade
    2. Tig'ger ★ AvA 9 ★ Dragonknight
    3. Ba'bushka ★ AvA 28 ★ Sorcerer
    4. Hails-To-Putin ★ AvA 18 ★ Templar
    5. Ba'boon ★ AvA 13 ★ Sorcerer

6. PC EU ★ Aldmeri DominionYoutube
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lua