The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Spell damage with 2 hand and staff

sput4ueb17_ESO
sput4ueb17_ESO
✭✭✭
it is a well known issue and fact that 2 hand weapons give more spell damage to the player then the staff.

Is it going to change that ? will ever the staff get equal with the 2h ???
Zenimax did that on purpose and if so can someone explain pls?
thx
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While 2-handers DO have slightly more spell damage, they lack the regen the staffs have on their heavy attack, plus the 2-handers use stamina for their attacks, thus you now have a much weaker basic attack. It is a trade-off.
  • sput4ueb17_ESO
    sput4ueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    yeah ok you can say that is a trade off but it is not slightly more it is way more and really i dont understand why a 2hand weapon sword or whatsoever has spell damage what is that needed for?
    if you play a sorc you prob need to change to 2hand in 1 bar because the increase in spell damage is too much... especially for execute phases etc and this is not a way for a caster to play....
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    if your goal is to maximize spell damage regardless of weapon, why not go dual wield?

and have fun with maintaining that long term.
  • sput4ueb17_ESO
    sput4ueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    well no and yes ...
    For any sorcerer the goal is to maximize his stats np with that I am just wondering why is that happening like this dual wield also gives more spelll damage like 2h then 1 staff where the staff is logically any casters weapon......
    It is strange and wierd
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let me dual wield staffs and we'll call it even, ZOS.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think its stupid. Staffs should boost class magicka spells most.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Huggernaut
    Huggernaut
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more interested in knowing if the passives for the 2h weapon skill line work for magicka based characters (like sorc's for example).

I'm mostly interested in forceful and balanced blade.

Does anyone know if these work while wielding a staff? (technically a 2h weapon), or do they only count with 2h swords / axes / maces?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is a well known issue and fact that 2 hand weapons give more spell damage to the player then the staff.

Is it going to change that ? will ever the staff get equal with the 2h ???
    Zenimax did that on purpose and if so can someone explain pls?
    thx

FYI, the most you will accomplish by complaining about this is having them nerf the spell damage from melee weapons. Then you'll be doing less damage.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Nutronic
    Nutronic
    ✭✭✭
    Huggernaut wrote: »
    I'm more interested in knowing if the passives for the 2h weapon skill line work for magicka based characters (like sorc's for example).

I'm mostly interested in forceful and balanced blade.

Does anyone know if these work while wielding a staff? (technically a 2h weapon), or do they only count with 2h swords / axes / maces?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

No, they don't. If you read at the top of those passives it says "With Two-Handed Weapon Equipped". Which obviously does not include staves (according to ZOS).
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well no and yes ...
    For any sorcerer the goal is to maximize his stats np with that I am just wondering why is that happening like this dual wield also gives more spelll damage like 2h then 1 staff where the staff is logically any casters weapon......
    It is strange and wierd

um, do yo actually PLAY a sorc at endgame? if you did, you would know that in reality the staffs magicka regen is INCREDIBLY useful and generally FAR outways the small damage boost a two-handed weapon gives.
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    well no and yes ...
    It is strange and wierd

um, do yo actually PLAY a sorc at endgame? if you did, you would know that in reality the staffs magicka regen is INCREDIBLY useful and generally FAR outways the small damage boost a two-handed weapon gives.

On da execute bar tho
  • Stinkur
    Stinkur
    ✭✭✭
    dual wield gave me aprox 242 more spell power when I swapped out my sword/board, and I believe it was about the same over staff.

That is a healthy chunk of power, 3 monumental spell damage glyphs is only 192. I made the switch and then stacked 3 reduction costs and love it.

That being said, I am with a few other people, staffs get shafted and should be equal in power or greater the 2 daggers, staffs(2 handers) should also get double set bonus or something. :)