The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Magicka vs Spell Power for DPS

Feynn
Feynn
✭✭✭
I am trying to determine which gear bonus will add more DPS: an "add max magicka" bonus or an "increase spell power" bonus. Of course that is considering that I am a magicka- based sorcerer, keeping up Major Sorcery and Mage Light the entire time. Is there a formula anywhere for how much damage respectively magicka and spell power will add? Is the relation linear? Are there diminishing returns? Thank you so much for your help!
Join us on Stormhaven RP! The largest TESO roleplay community of the Daggerfall Covenant, EU Megaserver.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 spell damage = 10.46 magicka worth.

You can calculate yourself ;)
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka>Spellpower>Crit
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there is a formula. Both Spell Power and Magicka affect how much damage a skill that magicka uses. The same goes for stamina.

Before you can use the formula, you need a few pieces of information.
    • You're base Magicka with no attributes points spent, no armor, no buffs, no CP spent, no nothing. If you're VR 14 it's 7,958.
    • The skill's base damage with nothing spent/equiped.
    • Note: if you need the two above numbers, you can hop on to PTS and figure them out for VR14 pretty easy. For skills just make a new VR14 character and don't equip or spend anything and equip the skills.

Once you know you're base stuff, you can calculate how much the skill would do with different levels of Magicka and Spell Power.

You also need to factor in any Passive Increases. These would be from armor and CP buffs.

*Note: This calculates within a range of +3% to -9% due to rounding error. It's not perfect but it gets you really close.

{[Skill Base Dmg * 0.0001260819076114 * (Buffed Magicka - Base Magicka)] + (Buffed Spell Power * Skill Based Damage * 0.001306135) + Skill Base Damage} * (1 + Passive Increases)

The formula works for Stamina as well. Just swap Magicka and Spell Power for Stamina and Weapon Power.

Edit: This formula doesn't work for Ultimates.

Edited by Bouvin on April 19, 2015 4:55PM
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »
    Yes, there is a formula. Both Spell Power and Magicka affect how much damage a skill that magicka uses. The same goes for stamina.

Before you can use the formula, you need a few pieces of information.
    • You're base Magicka with no attributes points spent, no armor, no buffs, no CP spent, no nothing. If you're VR 14 it's 7,958.
    • The skill's base damage with nothing spent/equiped.
    • Note: if you need the two above numbers, you can hop on to PTS and figure them out for VR14 pretty easy. For skills just make a new VR14 character and don't equip or spend anything and equip the skills.

Once you know you're base stuff, you can calculate how much the skill would do with different levels of Magicka and Spell Power.

You also need to factor in any Passive Increases. These would be from armor and CP buffs.

*Note: This calculates within a range of +3% to -9% due to rounding error. It's not perfect but it gets you really close.

{[Skill Base Dmg * 0.0001260819076114 * (Buffed Magicka - Base Magicka)] + (Buffed Spell Power * Skill Based Damage * 0.001306135) + Skill Base Damage} * (1 + Passive Increases)

The formula works for Stamina as well. Just swap Magicka and Spell Power for Stamina and Weapon Power.

Edit: This formula doesn't work for Ultimates.

@Bouvin oops I didn't update browser...lol, is this formula good for 2.0.5 or is this the pre 1.6 formula from the old spreadsheet? I will be happy to try building it if this is the current correct calculation. I'm not sure how feasible it is yet since it relies on hidden information and I would like it broken down to easily accessible info for the general user.

If there is data somewhere I might be able to derive a better formula or the hidden skill base damage scaling formula ....if so the vr14 values could be determined and then the values for all vr and 1-50 levels reverse engineered. Then a very accurate calculator could be built.
    Edited by Faugaun on April 19, 2015 5:33PM
  • Feynn
    Feynn
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the answers! Unfortunately I do not have the PTS, but if my understanding is correct the contribution of both magicka and spellpower to DPS is linear - no diminishing returns (especially since there are no soft caps anymore). This means that if additional 1 point of spell power is equivalent to roughly 10 points of magicka, given the current set bonuses a spellpower bonus will always be better than a magicka bonus. Although I would need to look at all the passives and buffs to take that into account, considering that any additional spell power or magicka that I get will be multiplied accordingly. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Thanks again!
    Join us on Stormhaven RP! The largest TESO roleplay community of the Daggerfall Covenant, EU Megaserver.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also in the formula:

What exactly is base magicka? Is that attribute points + level based magicka?

Passive increases is cp only or passive skills or what?

I'm really confused on this one. It appears that base magicka is completely removed from the equation...but I know that as i level my magicka pool gets larger and this adds to spell damage.....unless the skill base damage is taking this increase into consideration automatically....

Can you elaborate on the variables in the equation ?

It looks like it might be able to be simplified such that an end user could input their current spell power and magicka and their proposed new spell power and magicka and an output of increase/decrease in the damage could be calculated...which could then be directly multiplied against the current spell damage for the new damage value for a specific skill?

So if it worked a user would need:
    Current Magicka
    Current Spell Power
    New Magicka
    New spell power

And these could tell you if it made you stronger

Then for a specific skill the current damage value could be entered to produce the new damage value with the rest of the work done behind the scenes in a simple interface where a user can enter 4 required values and up to 10 optional values (5 active skills on two bars) to know the full change before buying/crafting the gear....dunno if this is useful?
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feynn wrote: »
    Thank you for the answers! Unfortunately I do not have the PTS, but if my understanding is correct the contribution of both magicka and spellpower to DPS is linear - no diminishing returns (especially since there are no soft caps anymore). This means that if additional 1 point of spell power is equivalent to roughly 10 points of magicka, given the current set bonuses a spellpower bonus will always be better than a magicka bonus. Although I would need to look at all the passives and buffs to take that into account, considering that any additional spell power or magicka that I get will be multiplied accordingly. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Thanks again!

That sounds like sound logic but I have not looked to see that all of your assumptions are correct. With no diminishing returns the effects should be constant as power increases...this would likely be linear. The conversion 1:10.46 as posted above if correct should maintain through out the range of possibilities....this is assuming that linear is correct (I'm not sure I understand bouvins equation well enough to definitively determine or guess on the linearness). Finally I am not even sure of stat bonuses on pieces being the same every time or set bonuses. It's a pretty complex ball of wax you've turned up here and without knowing somewhere where the research is done for ESO 2.0 (which is still fairly new) and without verify that all those assumptions always hold true, then it would be difficult to provide a hard and fast rule ....which of course could change next time zos tweaks any of the involved numbers.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Also in the formula:

What exactly is base magicka? Is that attribute points + level based magicka?

Passive increases is cp only or passive skills or what?

I'm really confused on this one. It appears that base magicka is completely removed from the equation...but I know that as i level my magicka pool gets larger and this adds to spell damage.....unless the skill base damage is taking this increase into consideration automatically....

Can you elaborate on the variables in the equation ?

It looks like it might be able to be simplified such that an end user could input their current spell power and magicka and their proposed new spell power and magicka and an output of increase/decrease in the damage could be calculated...which could then be directly multiplied against the current spell damage for the new damage value for a specific skill?

So if it worked a user would need:
    Current Magicka
    Current Spell Power
    New Magicka
    New spell power

And these could tell you if it made you stronger

Then for a specific skill the current damage value could be entered to produce the new damage value with the rest of the work done behind the scenes in a simple interface where a user can enter 4 required values and up to 10 optional values (5 active skills on two bars) to know the full change before buying/crafting the gear....dunno if this is useful?

Base Magicka is the amount of magicka your character has with no attribute points spent, no champion points spent, no skill points spent, no armor. It's the magicka your character has with nothing basically.

Buffed Magicka is the amount you have with skill points spent, armor, CP, attribute points, etc.

Buffed Magicka - Base Magicka is basically how many additional points you have by putting in attribute points, cp, etc.

Spell Power however starts at 0. So you don't have to figure out base...because well that's 0.

I collected that data by starting with a V14 character on PTS that had no armor on and no attribute, skills or CP points invested. Then added points into Stamina 1 at a time to get data points.

When I was done, I went back and did it again, but instead of looking at Stamina, I bought a TON of weapons and increased Weapon Power a little at a time by increasing different weapons, and collected data point.

Stamina & Weapon Power scale the same as Magicka and Spell Power.

When I was done with that, I rolled another blank character and collected the damage values for a bunch of skills with nothing invested into the character. Haven't gotten all of them though... After that I tested the equation on probably 20 skills to how close it was. And it's fairly close.. for most skills it's within +/- 2%.

But it doesn't work on Ultimate..they scale different.

Anyways, shoot me a message and I can send over my data. Data includes a worksheet that you can plug your Stam/Magicka and Weapon/Spell power into along with a skill's base damage to see how much damage it would do at different combos.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and this is derived off of the last 1.6 update that was on PTS. Which was either 1.6.4 or 1.6.5. I think it was 1.6.4 and they went live with 1.6.5.

As far as I know nothing has changed, but worth double checking.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting some more data and refining the equation.

As far as 1-50 vs. V14 go.. I don't think level matters. I think it's solely based off Resource Pool and Wep/Spell power.. it's just that 1-50 chars have different pools.

The one caveat here is that all the testing was done with skills at V for unmorphed and IV morphed. While I don't think that changes the equation, for most skills it does change the base damage. So collecting all the base damage for all skills would be essential in making any type of skill calculator. But that would also be crazy time intensive.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    @Feynn Op

Here OP provided the above numbers are corrcect from the other posters you can simply put your numbers into the calculator for an answer.

http://asolutionaday.com/general/magicka-v-spellpower-calculator-tesotu/

Sorry for the necro.

Is this link still accurate?

Edited by Thrasher91604 on October 23, 2015 12:27AM