Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not use vast Elder Scrolls lore more in the game?

Xinz'r
Xinz'r
✭✭✭
Before ESO Tamriel : Unlimited was released, I was regular gamer who played all sorts of games, most of them fantasy MMORPGs, and The Elder Scrolls series by far has richest lore. It's a shame that developers don't use it much. In this topic I'm talking especially about NPC guilds. Why do ALL RACES AND ALL ALLIANCES have the same guilds? There are many guilds that have the same purpose as Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild/Fighters Guild/Mages Guild that are native to certain areas. Here are some alternatives:

DUNMER

Morag Tong - Dark Brotherhood

moragcopy.jpg

House Telvanni - Mages Guild

1382037350599.jpg

House Redoran - Fighters Guild Just look at this badass!

redoran_noble_by_swietopelk-d7asqgy.jpg

ARGONIANS

Shadowscales - Dark Brotherhood

3efb34393e69bdea7cf17549e6f99e03d4h4cmu.jpeg

An-Xileel Warriors/Sorcerers - Fighters/Mages Guild

Argonian_Emote_Online.jpg

NORDS

College of Winterhold - Mages Guild

the_college_of_winterhold_by_deerydeerth-d6idzq9.png

Companions - Fighters Guild

Take_Up_Arms_(Achievement).png

REDGUARDS

Alik'r - Dark Brotherhood & Fighters Guild

sand_ninja___boss_by_tervola-d41a68x.jpg

ALTMER

Psijic Order - Mages Guild

1339679350_86747076-efc4-486a-9e67-d0ddfc9ef558.jpg

I don't know much about other races so I don't know if they have some other guilds. If you do, please let me know in the comments. :)
Edited by Xinz'r on April 4, 2015 8:37PM
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Runhent
    Runhent
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer Houses aren't guilds, actually.
    Gilryne Telvanni, at your service.
    EU | Ebonheart Pact | ElderScrolls.Net & RuESO
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    Runhent wrote: »

I know -.- But they could be used to create certain questlines that could be an alternative to the some of these three guilds.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Runhent
    Runhent
    ✭✭✭
    Xinz'r wrote: »
    Runhent wrote: »

I know -.- But they could be used to create certain questlines that could be an alternative to the some of these three guilds.
    More questlines will be good by themselves!

But Fighter and Mages Guilds, for example, were created for all Tamriel, and have... missions, headquaters in many regions - so all races and alliances members can join. If they wish, of course. And no one is deprived!

For example, I'm Dunmer, so I can't become a member of Shadowscales (and not all Argonians can!), but I may be interested in them, and can perform their tasks as an... outside expert.

Yeah, my position is quite uniting and... well, there is good Russian untranslatable idiom "в каждой дырке гвоздь" (or just I can't properly translate it), it means to take part in all possible activities :smiley: So say "no" to all too closed organisations!!
    Edited by Runhent on April 5, 2015 12:47AM
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you mean and somewhat agree with it. I just think it's a pitty not to use lore like this. TES has one of the richest lores in the whole gaming industry, and they are just throwing it away.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Runhent
    Runhent
    ✭✭✭
    Well, TESO is just starting its way - today is the first Anniversary. So there will be a lot of possibilities to add some new factions in the future. Seems Zenimax cares for the lore and doesn't forget to continue do it.

And I think Dunmer Houses will use mercenaries. Why not - it's cheaper and safer rather than risk on their own!
    Edited by Runhent on April 5, 2015 12:58AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the question: "Why do ALL RACES AND ALL ALLIANCES have the same guilds?", it's because these guilds are Tamriel-wide, and accept members from everywhere. I like how they have used the Tamriel-wide NPC guilds for these quests, as it gives all players the chance to experience the content and introduces those guilds as fully alliance-neutral. Other factions, being native to the areas they are from, will likely have dispensation towards (or against) certain alliances. I'm sure that other cultural factions will make appearances in the future; we've already seen some Morag Tong, Shadowscales and Companions during the Pact quests, and there's scope for future content based on House Telvanni, the College of Winterhold, and others which can be more cultural.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Molagent
    Molagent
    ✭✭
    All of the things you asked for are in the game... You may not be able to join the order, but that's for a reason very simple. Marketing and deploying the code.

For starters, Dunmer houses aren't guilds. They're nothing short of feudal clans.
    The Psijic Order has already been formed in ESO. Read the lore or actually read quests and go for Tamriel Hero and you'd know this by now. It's made in response to Mannimarco's worm cult, yet Vanus and a thousand or so mages are killed in a battle between them.
    The Companions are already formed. No the Companions never was Lyris, Mannimarco, the Prophet and so on... The Companions are led by Ysgramor and called "The Five Hundred Companions." We're in the wrong era for this, but nonetheless the companions are more then alive and kicking.
    There's more than a few mentions of the Shadowscales.
    You do know the Alik'r are a people right...? Similar to saying southerns are southerns. It's not a guild, but birthplace and culture.

If you think these things aren't already in the game I suggest a 10 second google search.
    "Happiness is foolishness I don't care for. When a scientist discovers something new that person would be willing to die to uncover the result of it. In that moment there is no happiness but an obsessiveness with interest. And it is with great pleasure I say I am not, nor ever desire to be happy, but take luxury and with sense of halcyon that I am interesting."
  • ArterionAU
    ArterionAU
    ✭✭✭
    I agree hopefully they add more Guilds/Use the Elder Scrolls Lore more in the future because it is still early days for ESO. I'd personally like to see more of the Ansei or just tell some more lore about them, As well as the Psijic order (I thought they would play a part in the AD Quest at some point but was wrong). Hopefully in the future they add more in.
    Adalmor Devourer of All - Nord Dragonknight EP Tank
    Gah-Kaj-Mota - Argonian Warden EP Tank
    Soran Tailas - Breton Templar DC Healer
    Arterion Auduseus - High Elf Sorcerer AD Magsorc
    Ancarion Aeduseus - High Elf Templar AD Magplar
    Aonus Audeseus - High Elf Warden AD Magden
    Azarath T'rizain - Dark Elf Dragonknight EP MagDK
    Azaron the Dread Wolf - Dark Elf Night Blade EP MagBlade
    Azzan Ansei - Redguard Night Blade AD StamBlade
    Arius Artorious - Imperial Templar AD Stamplar
    Kayne Ansei - Redguard Warden DC Stamden
    Do'ashi Kharhan - Khajiit Sorcerer AD Werewolf Stamsorc
    Azah Ansei - Redguard Dragonknight EP StamDK
    Founder of the Victorious Brotherhood
    Bringer of Light I The Flawless Conqueror I Boethiah's Scythe | Dro m'athra Destroyer | Craglorn Trials Conqueror I Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor I Voice of Reason I Blackrose Executioner
  • Runhent
    Runhent
    ✭✭✭
    Molagent wrote: »
    The Psijic Order has already been formed in ESO. Read the lore or actually read quests and go for Tamriel Hero and you'd know this by now. It's made in response to Mannimarco's worm cult, yet Vanus and a thousand or so mages are killed in a battle between them.
    Actually no - Psijic Order was created before Mannimarco's deeds (first mention - 1E 20, Fragment: On Artaeum), and Mannimarco himself was a member of this Order and one of the greatest students. Until he was exiled for his Necromancy researches.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer Great Houses aren't guilds.
    Shadowscales ARE the Dark Brotherhood - a branch of it. You can't join, you have to be born into it as an Argonian under the sign of the Shadow.
    Morag Tong doesn't operate outside of Morrowind these days.
    An-Xileel are a political party formed during the Oblivion Crisis.
    The Alik'r are simply that, the people of Alik'r. You might as well say "Redguard warriors".
    The Psijiic Order is also a spiritual organization discouraging its members from recklessly pledging alliegiance to political leaders. I can't count all the political leaders with conflicting interests I worked for in ESO.

The reason why we have only the Mages and Fighters guild is that they operate internationally, aren't restricted to a specific race or strongly tied into any culture. To create faction-specific organizations, you need to triple the resources. Clearly ZOS doesn't want to do it, they haven't even given us the long-promised Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. However, regional organizations often appear as quest-related NPCs. Members of almost all of those you mentioned can be met or talked about in ESO.