The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How to find rare motifs?

Yakum0
Yakum0
I know that are rare but for now (4 chars V3, 1 char V1) no drops. I farmed all the houses and all locations and all dungeons, with all 5 chars ... nothing. I bought 1 primal for 30k. I don't want it for sell, i want 1 drop for my professions. Anyone know the secret? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

• KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother 'farming' for motifs. Unless someone knows a secret spot where drops remain unchanged from patches ago, I think you are better just playing your game as normal and one day you may get lucky.

So far I have found Vet motifs in an urn and backpack in a public dungeon and one in a random backpack next to a skeleton.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you are at the rank you need to be, you can find them this way in the Wayrest Bank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWvCswZ-3ag
    Edited by Nestor on August 6, 2014 5:12PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Royalroacho
    Royalroacho
    ✭✭✭
    I think its just you vs the random number generator. Just like the lottery. Though I have occasionally ran into people at gas stations who have the lid of the frozen food chest covered with a spread of different newspapers, used car and horoscope magazines. Apparently theres a pattern in there, but you need a hebrew copy of the old testament to decode it. You could try that, but I wouldn't.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the purpose of motifs? They just for the style or look of the item, or do you any benefits choosing one over the other?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They change the style of the Armor you craft. You have to have read the Motif book, then you can see the difference, sort of, in what the armor will look like in the game in the icon when you choose each Motif in the Craft screen (assuming you also have the corresponding mineral to make that particular motif.

Here is a website that can show you how different each motif is

http://eso-fashion.com/

Now, with Dyes, it opens up even more possibilities. I used to pick a motif mostly on the colors, now I look at the style knowing I can change the color.

• stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs are just for looks. No impact on the stats whatsoever.

Motifs have a ridiculously low drop rate right now, after dropping like candy for a while before that. I have not found a single motif lately, not even a common one, but then again, I also stopped trying to find them when it was obvious that the drop rate was reduced without notice in some patch around 1.2.1 or so.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, maybe there is a market after all for the dozen or so Motif books I have that are taking up precious bank space.....

• Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Style and look only
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After spending some time in the VR content I finally picked up a rare motif from a chest in the bank in Windhelm: the Imperials. I was really excited about that, I'd expected the first rare I would pick up would be Barbaric or Primal which I didn't really want. I do want Ancient Elf and Daedric, but I think I'll have to be in the Daggerfall Covenant half of the VR content to get those.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the condition of the purple (rare) drop? Zone? Own level/rank? Container?

Would be nice to know
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • rbenkepub19_ESO
    rbenkepub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently VR6. From day one, every time I enter any building, I open every container and piece of furniture in the place before I loot quest items or talk to NPC's. I'm sure I've missed a few things, but I bet I get 90% of it or better. To date, I've found exactly one motif, and it was a blue one I already had. I can only assume finding them is pure luck (or lack thereof, in my case).
  • andre.roques.3b14_ESO
    VR1-5 = Primal and Barbaric
    VR6-10 = Ancient Elfin and Daedric
    VR1-10 for imperial
    At least that is what I understand

Playable race motifs can be found in any of the zones (<VR)
    NA MegaServer
    Alicron AD Altmer Templar
    Caltrinity EP Dunmer Sorcerer
    Brehhanon Moonblood DC Breton Nightblade
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skafsgaard wrote: »
    What is the condition of the purple (rare) drop? Zone? Own level/rank? Container?

Would be nice to know

My understanding is this, anyone who knows better feel free to correct me:
    1) During levels 1-50 you can loot any of the 10 racial motifs, though the Imperials motif is super rare compared to the others.
    2) In the first half of VR content, Cadwell's Silver, you are now able to loot Barbaric and Primal in addition to Imperial. You have to be looting in that particular content area to potentially receive them. (Ebonheart Pact if you started in AD)
    3) In the second half of VR content, Cadwell's Gold, you are able to loot Ancient Elf and Daedric, and possibly Imperial still. Again you have to be in that content area. (Daggerfall Covenant if you started in AD)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    As long as you are at the rank you need to be, you can find them this way in the Wayrest Bank:

So you can only FIND the rare motifs if you're Vet level 12? If so, I think that kinda sucks!

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

So you can only FIND the rare motifs if you're Vet level 12? If so, I think that kinda sucks!

If you look at his other video, he explains the different levels for the different books. It breaks down like VR1 to 5 for some, VR6 to 10 for some, VR 11 to 12 for the others.

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at his other video, he explains the different levels for the different books. It breaks down like VR1 to 5 for some, VR6 to 10 for some, VR 11 to 12 for the others.
    So...you have to PvP to get the rare motifs. Not cool.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um, you don't have to PVP to get to VR11-12
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭

No, I found both Primal and Barbaric in VR1 zones. Imperial I found at level 22 and didn't even realize it was rare since I went imperial edition lol! Still sitting in my bank since none of my dudes need it with the "Convert to Imperial" option they already have.
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its actually more tied to the Zones you can get to at each rank

courtesy of @MeowGinger‌

You'll have to buy some of the rarer motifs and crafting materials from other players, though; you can only find galatite (etc.) and Barbaric/Primal in the 2nd alliance, and quicksilver (etc.) and Daedric/Ancient Elf after going to the 3rd alliance (after completing Cadwell's silver).

• Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    I have a spare Primal I should probably trade...
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woogawoman wrote: »
    I have a spare Primal I should probably trade...

Don't feel bad, my Imperial Alt found an Imperial Motif book and promptly sold it to a merchant for like 9 gold as he did not need it. Maybe it was 20 gold, but it was taking up bank space.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my own personal experience and I have absolutely no references to back it up whatsoever but I've seemed to find most of my motifs and recipes in the shelves/chests/closets at the banks.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense as some banks have more of the containers that would hold these things. The bank in Daggerfall, the bank in Wayrest too. I have not found one like this in the AD that has a bunch of furniture and backpack containers, but they do have bookshelves. Well, the bank in Vulkhel Guard has containers in it, but it is a large manor house.

• Yakum0
    Yakum0
    Ty for the help, now i have some idea of how it work, could be nice if we have 1 drop per char at the correct lvl from the game ^_^.
    Edited by Yakum0 on August 6, 2014 9:49PM
  • SimonSays89
    Yakum0 wrote: »
    I know that are rare but for now (4 chars V3, 1 char V1) no drops. I farmed all the houses and all locations and all dungeons, with all 5 chars ... nothing. I bought 1 primal for 30k. I don't want it for sell, i want 1 drop for my professions. Anyone know the secret? Thanks in advance for any help.

I feel your pain, im oddly enough only hunting for the primal and barbaric styles myself. The best drops are in Cyrodiil if you ask me, cheydinal, burma, even the tents in high rock gate/eleswyre gate etc i have found blue recipes and motif books in
    "May your sword be sharp, and your tongue sharper!"
  • SimonSays89
    by drops i mean looking in wardrobes and cupboards nightstands etc
    "May your sword be sharp, and your tongue sharper!"
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to point out that Imperial can drop at any level - of the 3 that I have found so far, 1 was by a level 20 character in Deshaan, 1 in Cyro on a lvl 22, 1 in Cyro on a lvl 40 (both found in containers in city houses whilst doing city quests), you do not have to be vet rank or even in a vet zone for Imperial to drop.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.