Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

New Weapon Suggestion - Scythe !

Phantax
Phantax
✭✭✭✭✭
I've always liked the scythe as a weapon in games. Personally I think it's a very cool and intimidating looking weapon. Frankly it surprised me ESO didn't put them in the game to start? However, with that in mind here are some pics and possible associated races to go with them -

Breton-
1wfo0cb2hg7c.jpg

Barbaric-
d5cn2v18uxx8.jpg

Khajiit-
6628tpyd4ptx.jpg

Daedric-
7rqzmpw5a1nl.jpg

Imperial-
0kkhv6ew244f.jpg

Orc-
mzoweg17163l.jpg

Nord-
bwrit5u5gzuh.jpg

High Elf-
ue8ao2nykeoj.jpg

Primal-
5ealr1iqq39e.jpg

Wood Elf-
sqipwv3mxusb.jpg

Redguard-
o9nnipo8t3mk.jpg

Ancient Elf-
5zembkv6dy7f.jpg

Dark Elf-
jy74v9txlz31.jpg

Animations wouldn't be a problem, those already used for 2-hand weapons and Staff weapons would cover it. Melee range isn't affected, a scythe is no longer than a staff or greatsword.
Skill-tree could be new or same as the staff (in the way a greatsword / battleaxe use the same skill-tree)
Adding scythes should not really affect anything in the game, other than adding a really cool looking cosmetic addition AND allowing players to further personalise their characters !

:)
Edited by Phantax on July 2, 2014 5:28PM
High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather they added spears first than Scythes. As cool as scythes are, they aren't really a practical weapon, despite fantasy games trying to suggest that they are. They are a tool for harvesting grain. Warscythes are possible, but then they're more like a long spear anyways.
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scythe's for me wouldnt really fit in with the game...Spears should definitely be added though
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a reason why scythes weren't used in war IRL. They're totally impractical as weapons. When scythes were all that were available to arm peasants with, they would remove the blades, and mount them on poles in a vertical fashion, rather than perpendicular to the pole (as you would see in a regular scythe). The fauchard developed from this practice.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what you are looking for is a Halberd or Glaive type weapon. These were actually used in combat. Scythes are a farming tool.

And in general, at this point in the game's development, no. Balance the existing weapons and magicka/stamina issues first.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Koshchei
    Koshchei
    ✭✭
    Yes to scythes!

Inasmuch as farmer's tools aren't practical in a military context, neither are brooms or smocks, yet high level veteran content might as well be a drag queen fashion parade.
    Edited by Koshchei on July 2, 2014 7:12PM
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. spears
    2. I like the scythes too
    3. kamas
    4. katanas
    5. hand and half sword a change up to the overly large great swords
    6. short swords
    7. crossbow
    8. flail
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rynth wrote: »
    1. spears
    2. I like the scythes too
    3. kamas
    4. katanas
    5. hand and half sword a change up to the overly large great swords
    6. short swords
    7. crossbow
    8. flail

Crossbow and Katana definitely ! Katana being another that should have been in from the start !
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice collection of images. Your Breton model is my favorite. Would be really cool if ZOS added a polearm weapon type and skill tree. Perhaps some day.......

new-polearm-thumbs.jpg

Check out War Scythes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe
    Edited by kewl on July 2, 2014 6:14PM
  • DanteVFenris
    DanteVFenris
    ✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    I'd much rather they added spears first than Scythes. As cool as scythes are, they aren't really a practical weapon, despite fantasy games trying to suggest that they are. They are a tool for harvesting grain. Warscythes are possible, but then they're more like a long spear anyways.

Not a practical weapon. You dodge a sword with the metal part of your staff. Then the scythe blade part pulls back. Your sword is already blocking, so your only options are to be impaled or very fast thinking and body.

Sources: plastic sword fighting with my brothers. Scythe wins everytime.
  • DanteVFenris
    DanteVFenris
    ✭✭✭
    Also because a scythe weighs less, it means you can increase the range(have longer scythes) with not too much stress on body as well have faster strokes with a very unpredictable weapon
    Edited by DanteVFenris on July 2, 2014 7:28PM
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice toothpicks.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also because a scythe weighs less, it means you can increase the range(have longer scythes) with not too much stress on body as well have faster strokes with a very unpredictable weapon
    Um, what? Scythes are heavy... Have you ever held a real one?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • DanteVFenris
    DanteVFenris
    ✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »

Their heavy but depending on the sword a sword can be heavier. Or maybe I've been watching too much beserk with his massive sword. Then if you are using a smaller sword a scythe will have more range.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »

Not a practical weapon. You dodge a sword with the metal part of your staff. Then the scythe blade part pulls back. Your sword is already blocking, so your only options are to be impaled or very fast thinking and body.

Ah, yes, plastic sword fights, a great source of information. Quite unlike the hundreds of historical sources where only peasants used scythes, and even then they had to convert them for use as a weapon.
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all about diversity in weapons (You forgot a few races in the pics too, Argonian pops into mind.)

But like others have said, Scythes just aren't that good of a weapon. Spears, katanas, flails, and smaller greatswords sound good though!
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    you say scythe and I can accept it, although I would never lower myself to use a weapon of peasants and rabble of all mudded sorts.

give me a tower shield and three headed flail firstly and I shall bless your idea.
    or maybe give me this^ and spear-1h+2h and twinblade and bo staff and then I shall blless it!

ah yes, and definately Bow of Auri-El
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their heavy but depending on the sword a sword can be heavier. Or maybe I've been watching too much beserk with his massive sword. Then if you are using a smaller sword a scythe will have more range.
    Yeah, no, that's just not true.

For an example, the Scottish claymore is on the larger side when it comes to swords, with a blade that averages a bit under 4 feet long. The average claymore would weigh about 5.5 lbs. The average scythe has a shaft about 6-7 feet long (because of the angle of the blade, the length of the blade really isn't relevant), but because of the way you need to hold it if you want to have any control, you're only going to get about the same reach as you would with a claymore. That scythe would weigh roughly double what the claymore weighs, and be far slower and more cumbersome to use.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sources: plastic sword fighting with my brothers. Scythe wins every time.

Very funny! +5 bacon.
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it was a Plastic Inferno Sword...lol

;)
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, no, that's just not true.

For an example, the Scottish claymore is on the larger side when it comes to swords, with a blade that averages a bit under 4 feet long. The average claymore would weigh about 5.5 lbs. The average scythe has a shaft about 6-7 feet long (because of the angle of the blade, the length of the blade really isn't relevant), but because of the way you need to hold it if you want to have any control, you're only going to get about the same reach as you would with a claymore. That scythe would weigh roughly double what the claymore weighs, and be far slower and more cumbersome to use.

The thing with impractical weapons (the ones you can actually handle that is) is that if you spent enough time and effort in to learning how to use it, you could be quite effective with it. Problem is, by the time you have mastered effective use of a clumsy weapon like a sythe, the other guy has probably mastered use of a sword, a spear, and a bow. You only end up handicapping yourself. The only benifit to using an unconventional weapon like that is that your enemy will not be familiar with its use, allowing you the element of surprise. Against an experienced weaponsmaster, this advantage disappears very quickly.
    Nunchucks and sai are such weapons. Yes, they are widely taught in some schools, but that does not exclude them from being unconventional and difficult to master. The nunchaku, origonaly a tool for threshing grain, has as good a chance to injure the user as the oponent until it is mastered. It is in essence a blunt flail, and a shortstaff could produce a similar effect with greater controll (ex.Shillelagh)
    The sai by design is better suited as a parrying/disarming tool than a dagger. The tines are more likely to get in the way during any thrust or slash, as they are protruding from the center, causing a leverageing effect which can twist it to an undesired angle.
    Both of these weapons can be deadly in the hands of a master, but they take time. The biggest advantage of spears is that they can reach combat proficiency within a week of training.
    So I guess that's my 2¢

Edit: from a physics standpiont, to be able to even wield something like the dragonslayer or the buster sword, you would need to be as big as the hulk. And I'm not just talking about strength. You would need to weigh at least a ton to be able to counterbalance the forces applied by the weapon. Otherwise you would be throwing yourself across the room rather than swinging such a weapon.
    Edited by Shunravi on July 3, 2014 3:04PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Booba
    Booba
    ✭✭
    Orc-style scythe comes with the girl? =)

But to be serious I'd like to see an arsenal variety of Morrowind.
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully this is a Fantasy MMO, unconventional works fine for me. Hell I'm already using a stick that has flames on it and shoots fire...lol
    The scythe (IMO) just looks cooler

:)
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah , polearms , spears even scythes would all be cool.

The one i really want to most is the spear , but anything along those lines would already be a great plus.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • f0rc3503ub17_ESO
    A Scythe doesn't seem very Elder-Scrolls-Like to me, personally... Scythes as weapons seem to be going more along the lines of certain popular animes (Soul Eater, for example) and other fantasy genres/games (TERA: Rising)... Let's try not to deviate away from the Elder Scrolls feel...

What I would be interested in seeing, is a weapon skill line based upon a 1-handed sword/axe/mace build with your offhand being free... So basically, sword and board without the board...

The reason why I say this is because it seems that a lot of npc's in this game tend to go the route of having a 1-handed sword and nothing in their off-hand... It would be interesting to provide this to the game to add more customization. Perhaps it could integrate punching/kicking into the skills as a source of damage/interrupt?

Another alternative would be a Spear weapon skill line (as has been mentioned several times in this post thus far) which I have seen examples in-game with npc's sparring outside of the warrior's guild in Skywatch (one appeared to be wielding a spear).

However, since the game is still technically in its beginning stages, I wouldn't be surprised if more weapon skill lines were released later on.
    Edited by f0rc3503ub17_ESO on July 3, 2014 4:04PM
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Soul shriven axe looks like real scythe
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • ZOS_RikardD
    ZOS_RikardD
    admin
    Greetings,

We're closing this thread because it is an old topic and the information may no longer be relevant.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.