The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Class Boosting & Battle Levelling Suggestion

Tryxus
Tryxus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Serious Tryxus: You done yet?
Joker Tryxus: Yep, here are your notes, my sour-faced self.
Serious Tryxus: Any inappropriate jokes worked in them?
Joker Tryxus: You dare accuse me of such a low, devious and cunning tactics? How dare you?

-Joker quickly snatches a card-

Joker Tryxus: I'll just take this then, HEH!
Serious Tryxus: ...
Joker Tryxus: Get your BEE-hind on the stage. Go on, the ppl love you. AND ME! :D
Serious Tryxus: ...never should've done that Mages Guild Questline...

*ahem*

Serious Tryxus: Ladies, Gentlemen and... DAMMIT JOKER!

-throws the first card away-

Joker Tryxus: Party Pooper!
Serious Tryxus: Screw it, I'll just do it the old-fashioned way!

:D

So welcome again to another suggestion thread, this time dealing with the Class Balancing and a suggestion for the Battle Levelling in Cyrodiil.

Why did I make this thread? Simple, because of this comment:
Tryxus wrote: »
Surprise, surprise... it's the DPS classes that got most of the votes (not taking the "None" option into consideration)

And its reply
Surprise surprise all 4 four classes could be considered DPS.

So, ZOS created 4 classes for us to use, and these 4 follow the generic RPG classes being:

Dragonknight -> Warrior -> Tank
Nightblade -> Rogue -> Stamina/Melee DPS
Sorcerer -> Mage -> Magicka DPS
Templar -> Cleric -> Healer

You can say that all classes in this game can be DPS, but these 4 have been made for a specific role in mind, and they excel at it more than they do at the other roles.

NB and Sorc are the DPS Classes: they both have an Execute (Mage's Fury and Assassin's Blade), an escape skill (Bolt Escape and Cloak) and a Burst DPS ability (Crystal Shard and Grim Focus)
DK have less mobility, because they were made with high defense in mind in order to tank
Templars have low DPS, since they were made to mostly heal

But this is an Elder Scroll game, and all classes can do anything. It's no surprise to see a NB Healer, or a Stam DPS Sorc,...

What's this all have to do with Class Balance?

Everything.

Allow me to explain my ideas for each class in PvP:

Dragonknight
Ah, the shield of the group and the bastion of each alliance. Really, we should give these guys kudos and cookies and medals for everything they do for us.

The DK is a natural tank, but they have been nerfed so badly it's getting harder and harder for them.

A tank class that can't tank?. Really ZOS, they needed severe buffs

or UnNerfing

But not for every skill. You guys can start by undoing the nerfs on all of the DK's defensive skill nerfs and turn them back to the way they were before at the beginning of the game (or at least to a fair level without crippling them).

DK are supposed to be "in your face" fighters: they need to take the field, take the hits from other players and then come back for more. It's their given right to do so. A DK doesn't have the mobility or gap closers that NB and Sorc have, but if they in place of those get their defenses hightened, it would definitely bring them back to top level.

DPS-wise, the DK is in a good spot. With their defenses back up, and their mobility kept low, the DK will feel like a real warrior again, ready to challenge whatever gets in their way

Templar
Joker Tryxus: Dem self-righteous, Aedra butt kissing ...
-silences Joker Tryxus-

Templars are the healers of the bunch. Now, I don't personally know much about them since I haven't rolled one... yet. But from what I hear, Templars don't have much to work with in PvP. And they never did apparently.

The problem (IMO) would probably be that since the Templar is the healer, many of their skills have decent selfsustaining and healing capabilities not just for the Templar, but for their allies too. Which is also why probably their DPS is being kept low: being a killer and a healer at the same time could end with the Templar being OP

And since I don't know much about the class, it's hard for me to try and find a solution to this. Maybe:
- make certain Templar skills do extra damage vs Daedra, undead and Werewolves (synergizes great with the Fighter's Guild skills and with Stamplars)
- make only their Restoring Light skills heal, and increase the DPS output on the other 2 skill lines (again, no idea about what Templar skills can do)

any suggestions from Main Templars are more than welcome

Nightblade
A class that actually feels like an assassin now, and which ZOS managed to get right. Should only need a few tweaks here and there, but if ZOS could upgrade the other classes the same way they did to the NB, it'd be epic.

Joker Tryxus: Don't try to sound TOO biased there dude.

Sorcerer
The class that needs the most work IMO. Let's go over the skill lines and keep this as short as possible

Dark Magic:
Looks pretty good, though maybe Crystal Shards could get a Stamina morph to give Stam Sorcs smth extra to work with

Daedric Summoning:
Here's the main problem: the pets. They become all but useless at endgame PvE and PvP, even the Storm Atronach. I would suggest removing them enterily and replace them with a couple of entry hazards (like moving Lightning Splash here instead, Daedric Splash?) and replacing the Atronach with... I dunno... a Daedric Titan (everybody wants his own Bogdan the Nightflame, should have a high Ulti cost then).

Anyways, simply get rid of the pets (or pests) and give this skill line a new name (Oblivion Binding or smth) and better spells

Storm Calling:
For a DPS skill line, I rlly don't see any DPS here. Sure, it has an execute and the Ulti screams "POWAH! UNLIMITED POWAH!"

But srsly, I think this skill line should be treated like Siphoning from the NB. NBs have a powerful Funnel Health and an AoE version of it in Sap Essence. Storm Calling should receive similar spells so that the Sorc doesn't have to completely rely on a Destro Staff to proc that Crystal Frag. It could have a single target and AoE spell with different effects so the Sorc can choose between those and the Destro Staff spells.

Mage's Fury, Surge and Bolt Escape should be kept, but Lightning Form is a bit redundant (Bound Armor and Hardened Ward are there to increase Defense, though Bound Armor could receive a boost to extra Armor Rating if Lightning Form goes away) and Lightning Splash could get remove too (or moved to Daedric Summoning)

My idea for the Sorc: they are great Magicka Tanks and DPSers, but their Magicka DPS could be made a bit easier and flexible while their Stam DPS deserves a Burst attack. Healing is no problem for them either thanks to Dark Conversion.

My ideas for a bit of class balance in PvP.

Speaking of PvP, I have a suggestion for the battle levelling.

Battle Levelling

We all know the Stam Block Regen and Dodge Roll Fatigue got added from a PvP point of view: to prevent Stam builds from dodging everything that gets thrown at them and to prevent block casting.

But both of these changes have had a great impact on PvE, and weren't really needed for that either.

My Solution: have them become a part of the Battle Levelling in Cyrodiil

Tanks can once again shine, the changes remain where they're supposed to be, and the Battle Levelling could find a new use as the bridge between PvE and PvP to take away the unfair elements of the classes.

Battle Levelling could introduce several tweaks and changes, not just for general gameplay, but also for each class. Cuz quite frankly, I don't think a NPC is gonna complaing about a Sorc Bolt Escaping around the entire time, or a DK spamming his Scales. The changes/nerfs made for several Class skills could be added to Battle Levelling to make PvP more fair, and keep PvE fun.

It also has 2 other advantages:
- there's no need to mess around with the classes again, the class changes could be added to Battle Levelling (although if a tweak/buff/nerf is in need, it could still get added to the class)
- the Battle Levelling could be made unique for each campaign (like a Campaign without class changes, a campaign without Champion Points (BWB!!!) or even a campaign without the reduced damage/healing/shields)

Phew, this was a lot to type!

Joker Tryxus: Zzzzzzzzz

Yeah, you're right.

Gonna end this long post right here and let you guys think about this.

Remember: the suggestions for the classes SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

If you think there are better ways to increase balance, post it here and let us know. The ones I posted are simply ideas

Anyways, have fun
Tryxus
"The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to point out that Sorcs are no slouch with Stamina DPS right now, in fact they can be extremely good.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>