The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Random crashes/freezes using NVIDIA gfx card

Malaari
Malaari
Soul Shriven
Is anyone else really plagued by random crashes/freezes or is it just me?

Using a fairly high end machine with Win8.1, 16gb ram and an NVIDIA GeForce card with newest drivers, and the game randomly crashes or freezes for me. It can take anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 hours, but I have not yet played a session without crashing or freezing. Sometimes I can hear the game continue "behind" the frozen screen, and I have even been able to continue to craft items after the screen has frozen...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • krilleyy95
    krilleyy95
    ✭✭
    I freeze for a few seconds sometimes too with a brand new eVGA GTX 780, so my guess would be completely poor optimization on Zenimax's part :)
    Edited by krilleyy95 on April 13, 2014 9:57AM
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    win 7, 4 gb RAM, nvidia 650 ti boosted and i dont have any problems on ultra GFX settings
    I'm sure the problem lies within your computer :(
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • AmanitaMuscaria
    I got solution to my freezing and studdering by setting eso.exe priority as high from taskmanager/prosesses this can be done on account loading screen, too bad it needs to be done every time you launch game.
    Support your local bartender helping ugly people getting laid.
  • jpetro
    jpetro
    Soul Shriven
    Anyone having problems with ESO crashing with a 765m? I have the new haswell m14x...keeps crashing randomly (instantly in game or 1 hour in or randomly). Tried everything, drivers, ports you name it. Even tried priority high.
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    TieFighter wrote: »
    win 7, 4 gb RAM, nvidia 650 ti boosted and i dont have any problems on ultra GFX settings

Care to rephrase that last statement, cause I'm SURE you are wrong.

I have seen too many cases of this problem for it to just be their computer. It's usually related to the GTX 700 series cards. It doesn't to to affect the 650's
    There is some unusual combo of hardware that is causing a definite problem.
    Edited by LariahHunding on April 14, 2014 4:56PM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• Harkrider
    Harkrider
    ✭✭✭

I have seen too many cases of this problem for it to just be their computer. It's usually related to the GTX 700 series cards. It doesn't to to affect the 650's

I know that my experience is not the same as that as everyone else, but:

I am using a 700 series card and I've not had any crashes.

Just adding my own experience to the conversation.
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harkrider wrote: »

I know that my experience is not the same as that as everyone else, but:

I am using a 700 series card and I've not had any crashes.

Just adding my own experience to the conversation.

The most common problem that I have seen is poor performance, not crashes Another symptom that I have seen reported is change in-game video settings has very little effect, ultra->low, maybe +10 FPS.
    Also, mostly reported are AMD cpu's.

I think that is some sort of cpu-bound problem, but the CPU and GPU only report mid-level use. Also, may be overloading a single core.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• faalin
    faalin
    Soul Shriven
    I'm running two 580's and have the same problem, unistalled drivers/ safe mode driver sweeper, installed latest drivers still have issues with random crashes/freezes.

Good to hear its not just my computer that's doing it.
  • PhenomMasaki
    780ti and zero performance problems and no freezes BUT

I did update my Realtek ethernet drivers a few days ago and everything went wonky. Uninstalled them and went back to what I was using and back to zero problems.

This is for drivers 334.67/335.23 or 337.50 (most current and the ones I'm using)
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    faalin wrote: »
    I'm running two 580's and have the same problem, unistalled drivers/ safe mode driver sweeper, installed latest drivers still have issues with random crashes/freezes.

I came across the info that trying to force eso into SLI may denigrate performance. Sorry if I'm making assumptions.

• lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing crashes with about the same frequency as OP. The game will abruptly crash to the ESO crash report window. It happens in conditions ranging from low to high demand on the hardware, and lowering settings has not helped. I've been keeping an eye on temperatures, so it's not that. It's been happening for about a week now. FF14 does not crash.

I have a 740M. I just tried reinstalling the drivers. If that doesn't work, I'll try getting the beta drivers.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • jpetro
    jpetro
    Soul Shriven
    They need to figure out what is going on with the 700 series cards. There is no reason an i7-4700MQ and 765M can't run this game with stability.
  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a beta nvidia driver released last week that thier CSRs said included specific sli profile and optimizations foe teso.
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • faalin
    faalin
    Soul Shriven
    faalin wrote: »

I came across the info that trying to force eso into SLI may denigrate performance. Sorry if I'm making assumptions.

ive tried in and out of sli mode, tried moving physics between all 4 options. Nothing has worked, just did a fresh reinstall of the os and am now starting the download for the game, guess well see tomorrow if it was worth the trouble.
  • jpetro
    jpetro
    Soul Shriven
    337.50 has done nothing to alleviate the problem, hopefully tomorrows patch will shed some light on the problems related to Nvidia
  • Mauricio
    Mauricio
    I've same problem using my videocard Nvidia EVA GTS 450 =/
  • stabbykitteh
    stabbykitteh
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe you're just lucky :smile:

I have the same card / OS and 6gb RAM and was having horrible problems with freezing this weekend. Re-Installing the latest Nvidia driver seems to have fixed the worst of it, though.
  • faalin
    faalin
    Soul Shriven
    ok so I did a full reinstall of the os and the only thing I installed was the game and it's still having random crashes all the time.
  • markhonor83b14a_ESO
    I have been consistently crashing since day one and even throughout beta every 5-45 minutes. I have an AMD Radeon 9 200 series. It is a brand new computer and my dad has an identical one, lives 5 minutes away and he has no crashing problems. I have no internet issues and all other games run smooth as butter. Something is definitely messed up on their end.
    Edited by markhonor83b14a_ESO on April 17, 2014 3:34PM
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm running a GTX570 and get completely RANDOM crashs as well. Heck I've crashed logging into my character even. LOL

Very annoying when playing for a couple hours it will at least hourly crap out.
  • double0devb14_ESO
    I've got a 550 Ti that's doing this as well.
  • Lonegun
    Lonegun
    Malaari wrote: »
    Is anyone else really plagued by random crashes/freezes or is it just me?

Using a fairly high end machine with Win8.1, 16gb ram and an NVIDIA GeForce card with newest drivers, and the game randomly crashes or freezes for me. It can take anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 hours, but I have not yet played a session without crashing or freezing. Sometimes I can hear the game continue "behind" the frozen screen, and I have even been able to continue to craft items after the screen has frozen...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The game some times freezes for me once or twice an hour for about 10-30secs but then I'm in europe and the game server is in the US. So I've put it down to lag. Make sure your drivers are up to date and check your temperatures and stability if your running any overclocks. It doesn't push my old sandy bridge too hard but all mmo's have a tendency from my experience to find stability issues if they exist in the hardware we use due to the sheer length of time we play them. Hope they move the european server to europe soon :smile: .

• Malaari
    Malaari
    Soul Shriven
    I finally took the time to uninstall everything and then reinstall again, and that has fixed the problem for me, the game now runs perfectly and I have not had a single crash or freeze for 4 days now! :)
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My husband and I have GTX 570, and having the same problem so it is not just the 700 series. Everything is updated, but I can say we did not have this issue until last weeks maintenance. Everything was running smooth during beta and after launch until a week ago and then constant CTD. I know it is not add ons because of experimenting with and without them. Still crashing...... I know we will be upgrading out cards soon but if it is a problem on ESO's end and Nvidea i am not sure what to go with now. We have not had problems with any other online games by the way.
  • mihaiurudolpheb17_ESO
    Same problem as above including not having this issue prior to last 2 patches. (GTX580)
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im having the same issue with crashes and lag when in gruops I ahve a goodi standing pc which is why they need to upgrade their hardware
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem until I did the fixes listed in my post found here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64179/black-screen#latest

I had to make the settings file read only as ESO will change the setting back to default if you don't. Once I made the DX to 9 my game has worked fine. Crazy that I had to do that but support is aware and so is top level support. Hopefully they will fix this. It is something that is happening with NVIDIA cards. I have only crashed one time since the change so I call that a huge win considering I crashed and had screen freezes literally every 20 seconds.
  • gypsythief
    gypsythief
    ✭✭
    I got solution to my freezing and studdering by setting eso.exe priority as high from taskmanager/prosesses this can be done on account loading screen, too bad it needs to be done every time you launch game.

This can be done automatically; create a .bat file with the following content:
    (edit the first line to reflect where you installed ESO)
    cd "C:\program files\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\game\client"
    start /high eso.exe

This will start ESO with high priority. However, as it is by-passing the launcher it won't patch, so you will still need to run the launcher to patch.

As to the freezing / crashes, there is a problem with nVidia's drivers above 314.22, and the 460 to 560 cards (inclusive) (see here for info). If you have one of those cards and are running more recent drivers, it will be worth while rolling back to 314.22 or below.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a GeForce GTX 680 and I am running driver 331.82 on Windows 7 Ultimate. I did a fresh install and used old drivers, same issues. The only thing that fixed my crashes were the two things I changed in the UserSettings.txt file: Change the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9" AND Locate the line "SET RequestedNumThreads "X" change the X from whatever number it may be to 0. I also had to make the file read only. Regardless of running as admin or not, when you log in ESO will change those settings back to 11 and -1. Once I made the changes and made it read only, it worked. There is some kind of issue that has been around since beta with NVIDIA cards and crashes/freezes so they really need to figure out what the deal is.
  • Malaari
    Malaari
    Soul Shriven
    Sigh... After the last patch, the problem is back again :(
    Random crashes left and right, it is really annoying :(
    I've tried the various help given here in this post, but to no avail :(