The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

WebGet request failed

Firestar1992
Firestar1992
✭✭
I am guessing this just has to do with the download speed...

I managed to get the download going by setting the game to never allowing automatic updates. My download has been going extremely slow, and twice in the process, it stops working altogether with a little message instead of "downloading" saying "WebGet request failed."

Is there a way to fix this, or is it just due to my crappy college wifi?
  • Olebrumgreven
    I have the same problem, but with me it stops at 10% every time and then give me the WebGet error.

I have tried running as Admin, disable firewall and antivirus + adblock in browser and cleaning cache and cookies. Still nothing works.
  • ZOS_LenaicR
    ZOS_LenaicR
    ✭✭✭✭
    The error message "webget request failed" can be caused by a variety of reasons. Below are several possible solutions to the problem.
    • First, try starting the program through the Start Menu.
    • Click Start.
    • Then All Programs, then The Elder Scrolls Online Beta.
    • Instead of left clicking on an item as you generally would, players should try to right click on it and to select Run as Administrator.

If this does not help, you should try to temporarily disable your virus protection, firewall and ad blockers in your browser. Most virus protection programs have an option to be temporarily disabled by right-clicking on their icon in the lower right hand corner and selecting the "Disable" or "Suspend" option. Once the game has been updated, please remember to turn them back on.

Players who are using Trend micro security software can read this specific article for additional troubleshooting steps.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Base de connaissance ESO

Staff Post
  • SkylaBloodwing
    Same problem and tried every solution. Still not working. I can load like 20mb and after that I get the webget request failed message for 10 mintues. Then I am able to load again for a bit until I get the same message. Pleas help! It was fine for the first hours of downloading.
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    Hmm...I keep getting the Webget messages for a few minutes, then the download resumes. Still makes for mind-numbingly slow progress. Download's been going for 3 hours and I'm at a whopping 3%.
  • BKS_ELITE
    BKS_ELITE
    Soul Shriven
    I've found, at lease on the Mac client, that if I pause the download then resume, it continues perfectly where it left off.
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    Oh, man! Thank you! The download is still ridiculously slow, but this is sure to save me at least a couple of hours.
  • BKS_ELITE
    BKS_ELITE
    Soul Shriven
    Yea, I've been going for about 5 hours now and I'm at 10%. I'm pretty sure that's total installation steps though, and not representative of total time. The download is about 45% of the way complete for me, so I'm sure once I hit the installation steps, the % complete will jump up pretty rapidly.
  • SkylaBloodwing
    That kinda works for me. I have to press the button every minute or so, because I will get the webget error again, but at least I don't have to wait for 10 minutes for it to automatically start the download again. Thank you! :)
  • Olebrumgreven
    The error message "webget request failed" can be caused by a variety of reasons. Below are several possible solutions to the problem.
    • Click Start.
    • Instead of left clicking on an item as you generally would, players should try to right click on it and to select Run as Administrator.

If this does not help, you should try to temporarily disable your virus protection, firewall and ad blockers in your browser. Most virus protection programs have an option to be temporarily disabled by right-clicking on their icon in the lower right hand corner and selecting the "Disable" or "Suspend" option. Once the game has been updated, please remember to turn them back on.

Players who are using Trend micro security software can read this specific article for additional troubleshooting steps.

I've tried all these steps as I already said in my posts. Still it does not work. So far it has taken me 5 hours to get to 13% on a 100 Mbps line.

• BKS_ELITE
    BKS_ELITE
    Soul Shriven
    The speed of your download doesn't really matter in situations like this. You're only going to get it as fast as their servers will give it to you. It'll be capped by their upload speed.
  • killkillmultiply
    • Click Start.

Thank you so much! It was just Trend Micro blocking ESO!
    "Kill, kill, multiply.
    Until the skies are black and the rivers dry."
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    • Click Start.

Yeah, I've tried following your instructions and it actually made my download speed even worse. And I use Zone Alarm; turning off the firewalls didn't help.
  • Pzychoo
    Pzychoo
    Soul Shriven
    5kb/s is not acceptable when we are paying monthly sub to play... fix this ***, it's like suicide