The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Door "Gankers" on the PTS

• alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have had loads of gankers a lot of players seem hell bent on just ganking spawn zones and getting in to spawn zones
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps spawn gankers could be recognized by the system and generate the unkillable guards after a set period? The same people keep killing the same people in the same spot. After the third go-round, it's clear that the spawners can't mount an assault, so the guards show up. After the bottleneck calms down, the guards go back on break.

I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xael wrote: »
    If I wanted Trammel I would play UO.

Sorry, I disagree with the majority of people in this thread. It's a PvP zone, you should be fair game. I am against having super guards at an entrance or an immune area. This is PvP and ganking is part of the mix.

Age of Conan had this problem with a few zones in the newbie area(s) like Whitesands. What they did was eventually make a person a immune for x amount of seconds after zoning or logging into the game. The catch was they needed to stand still or they would lose the buff. I think this might be a fair work around as the ESO loading screens are wretched unforgivable things that often crash the game. PTS loading screens seem longer than live.

I overall agree, and feel like the only change that's needed is what you describe AoC having done... I didn't get the idea from there (I just thought it up in my post earlier in this thread), but sounds like it worked well :)?

This is exactly what ESO needs.
    incidentally, this would not only help in IC, but also with cyrodiils tower farming...
    (even though the later has counters already, it's still a somewhat stupid mechanic)
    Edited by Morvul on July 30, 2015 6:40AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd just drop in a list here of everywhere I think should have a "dead zone" or "immunity timer" against door/spawn ganking. Whatever such a thing is, I think it should have a wide enough radius or last long enough for players to get their bearings and enter stealth if they want to.
    • The places where the ladders from your Alliance Base come out in the Districts
    • The doors into/out of the crafting sites and vaults
    • The gates between Districts
    • The main ladder access into the Districts from the Sewers
    • The main ladder access into the Sewers from the Districts
    • The balcony areas between Sewer sections
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people tried to door gank me a few times, but it never worked so well except for once. I don't think it is a super big issue currently, but it may end up becoming an issue as time goes on and people get better at abusing mechanics.
  • Djeriko
    Djeriko
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get it...

In the PTS what is the point to grief others players experience?
    You farm TV stones? You cant keep them since zos can reboot to zero the server at any time.
    You are a pve only "carebear" player and you want that others understand how bad IC is and you wish that this update will fail, because is not what you want?
    You want other players to quit so the dlc cant be tested the right way?

I just don't get it srsly...

I actually think that this is the best way to test the devs design. Get out there and pull exploits now. When you find them in this stage they should be easy (HA!) to fix. * cough shield dyes cough* So if you find something that gives you a quick edge because the ZOS testing team doesn't have the drive to pull cheap shots like regular players then do it so other players will see it and have it reported. Easy way to get reported for pvp exploit, beat a lot of other players to a pulp!
    "When in doubt, kill it with fire."
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorry, I disagree with the majority of people in this thread. It's a PvP zone, you should be fair game. I am against having super guards at an entrance or an immune area. This is PvP and *** ganking is part of the mix.

Age of Conan had this problem with a few zones in the newbie area(s) like Whitesands. What they did was eventually make a person a immune for x amount of seconds after zoning or logging into the game. The catch was they needed to stand still or they would lose the buff. I think this might be a fair work around as the ESO loading screens are wretched unforgivable things that often crash the game. PTS loading screens seem longer than live.

since everyone can stealth, such a buff would be abused as a "oh your here, better stay still because the moment you move and remove thet buff we'll kill you" and you cant say people wont. the lowlifes of "hardcore" pvp features know no bounds. as exploiters on live have proven.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I disagree with the majority of people in this thread. It's a PvP zone, you should be fair game. I am against having super guards at an entrance or an immune area. This is PvP and *** ganking is part of the mix.

and we all know how well this game turned out, trammel was created because of BS like this, you cant have both pvp and pve in the same area. its like mixing acids and bases.
  • Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been an issue a long time in cyrodiil anyone who likes to farm delves there already knows. Is this going to be addressed in the rest of cyrodiil as well?
    Edited by Sithisvoid on July 30, 2015 12:12PM
  • phaseadept
    phaseadept
    ✭✭✭
    So to sum it up I have to roll a night blade in order to enjoy the new content?
    Edited by phaseadept on July 30, 2015 7:16PM
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    mtwiggz wrote: »
    This is absolutely a huge issue already. Being killed during a load screen takes no skill on either end. Hope that ZoS fixes this well before IC goes live. Otherwise IC will become a giant zerg farmfest, which I'm sure it'll be anyways, but not due to load screens.

Hey @mtwiggz, did you get ganked after my wife and I took off last night? We never did make it back online to try anything else out. We are going to try out some PVP tonight, hopefully from the sounds of it there will be other factions running too so we can test the LOS changes and see if lag's still there.

Several times. After getting through the door gankers and into the City it wasn't too bad. Much easier to survive through several enemies attacking you now, but much more difficult to dwindle down their numbers. TTK needs to be readjusted before live, IMO.

But obviously load screen ganking is OP.
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    So far our testing internally with the immunity buff has been pretty good. The tester gang is still hammering on it as we know people have variable load times between districts and between the sewers to districts. If you all could post your usual load times between district to district and sewer to district, that would be appreciated so we can tune the immunity timings.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So far our testing internally with the immunity buff has been pretty good. The tester gang is still hammering on it as we know people have variable load times between districts and between the sewers to districts. If you all could post your usual load times between district to district and sewer to district, that would be appreciated so we can tune the immunity timings.

as helpful as it will be, it wont be enough the dedicated will just camp the whole spot and cover a decent size area. we need a safe spot at the faction entrance into the city else they'll still be there just rather then standing on the spot they'll just move to following you and melting you down which solves nothing, as past suggestions have said = get invincible stealth vision guards around them, prefferably ranger ones with chain so it's to discourage you even attempting to camp spawns.

we know the idea is to make imperial city a fighting ground but not even having a chance to have a spot when you enter to prep and be ready isn't giving non-groupies much hope.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

would it be possible to design the "immunity buff" in a way that it holds a pretty long time by default (say 20-30 seconds) but dissipates the moment the player moves or uses an ability?

That way it would automatically account for varying load times...
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think immunity buff is a good idea? Quite simply the biggest problem with gankers is annihilating you before you can even react/)spawn.

This just means they'll have to camp further back, but it means if you and 5 of your team mates go through the door, spawn and instantly cast Shields/buffs, it'll just be a regular pvp fight. No one will have an advantage as per the Battlefield.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That this is even an issue shows just how bad ESO designers are, this should never have been a problem in the first place, almost like the people designing have no knowledge of what's gone before :(
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's a test server, they've had feedback on the issue and are implementing a solution, not bad I wouldn't say
  • SeptimusDova
    SeptimusDova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was meant to be for testing purposes. I am recording and saving a lot of it. Not for amusement. But for My niece who is in the field of criminal psychology. She finds this stuff fascinating.
    Edited by SeptimusDova on August 1, 2015 1:59PM
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morvul wrote: »

would it be possible to design the "immunity buff" in a way that it holds a pretty long time by default (say 20-30 seconds) but dissipates the moment the player moves or uses an ability?

That way it would automatically account for varying load times...

If it dissipated straight away it wouldn't do much good I think, likewise if there was an arbitrary 5 second delay from first movement then it would be too predictable for gankers to ignore. I'd suggest a randomly timed debuff between 5-10 seconds after first movement but before any ability is used..

Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    It will be on you after you've zoned in, and will drop if you use an ability, stealth, or drink a potion. It will not drop if you move or weapon swap.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will be on you after you've zoned in, and will drop if you use an ability, stealth, or drink a potion. It will not drop if you move or weapon swap.

Have you set a limit to how far you can move with the immunity?

If it lasts for 30 seconds, wouldn't this allow someone (with a fast PC) to get half way through a district without any risk?
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

If it lasts for 30 seconds, wouldn't this allow someone (with a fast PC) to get half way through a district without any risk?

Or conversely when you get one of those occasional out-of-the-blue extra long load screens chances are you would arrive dead, which would be uber frustrating..
    Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • nun_nonrb19_ESO
    The idea of creating a buffer zone seems so much wiser to me. I know it'll give a bit of trouble to redesign the zones but it'll be a full-proof solution. So everybody wins with it......well, all except the gankers.
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you be able to zone back to previous district while on that buff?
    Edited by Kupoking on August 1, 2015 5:17PM
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides the large central doors between districts, there are two doors to the left and right down the walls which lead to an elevated safe location in the neighboring district. We will however look at solutions at the main doors as well.

Pro tip!
    <X-Raided>
  • Laplace
    Laplace
    ✭✭✭
    Denaia wrote: »
    People who gank these doors should be banned from ever accessing PTS again... PTS is for testing, if we cannot test the patch will not be able to be launched properly. Have fun doing this behavior on live, but not on the pts.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm glad they aren't waiting until IC goes live to show their true colors. If we didn't catch this until the server went live, IC would be DOA.

I am a PVE player. I've never been a fan of PVP in any game. That said, I am willing to give Imperial City a chance. But the way things are going, I'm starting to reconsider. RNG grindfests? Ruining endgame crafting? Making Glass prohibitively grindy to get when you just know it's gonna end up on the Crown Store anyway?
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SkylarkAU wrote: »
    DDuke wrote: »

Or conversely when you get one of those occasional out-of-the-blue extra long load screens chances are you would arrive dead, which would be uber frustrating..

Both, excellent points: my hunch is, however, that @ZOS_BrianWheeler thought of this too, and will be aiming at having it activate the timer once the game's UI is initialized, the same as most (possibly all?) buffs look to work now, and it is the last (or one of the last things) to be loaded when you zone between areas. In other words, it wouldn't start its 30-second countdown before you loaded in and could already see the game world. :)
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on August 1, 2015 9:03PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes UI activation will be a great place to start the timer./ As loading screens can vary depending on many factors. Except when your cat bites your DVI cable. Zos cant help you on that one.
    Edited by SeptimusDova on August 2, 2015 9:40PM
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kerioko wrote: »
    Like I said above, I have no problem with traditional gankers, I consider it a valid playstyle, and I can build to counter that. I do think something needs done to prevent the trolls from camping doors and killing people as they zone, as there is no way to counter load screens!

Fighting other players = Fun.
    Fighting the loading screen boss = Not Fun.

The loading screens seem to be slower than ever in this build of the game. My brand new computer has 2 second loading screens on Live, and never, ever generates a loading screen as I'm running around because it hasn't loaded the physics yet. On the PTS, my loading screens are long enough to go to the bathroom and back. Even outside of Cyrodiil.

I'm hoping it's just because it's the PTS and so doesn't have as many, er, resources as the Live version of the game.

Also, my fps is horrendous in Cyrodiil. My computer can handle Ultra-high graphics with 80+ fps in the main game. In Cyrodiil and the Imperial City (excluding instanced dungeons), it has to be knocked down to Medium graphics before I get more than 15 fps. I know that it's normal to have to turn your graphics down one notch in Cyrodiil, but two notches? Is that expected?

(Also, if I'm only able to play on Medium graphics with an Nvidia 980M graphics card with 8 GB of dedicated graphics RAM, who on earth gets to experience the Imperial City in Ultra-high?)

I'll certainly grab a stopwatch and start measuring my loading screen times :).
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Brian.

District to district. Minimal. 3 seconds or less.

Sewers to district and vice versa? Oh gods. I sat with a stopwatch on Friday night and timed it every time I remembered.

Arena District to Sewers - 54 seconds
    Sewers to Elden Gardens District - 1 minute 5 seconds. (96 fps, 167 ms latency)
    Temple District to Sewers - 1 minute 3 seconds (100 fps, 222 ms latency)
    Temple District to Sewers again - 1 minute 4 seconds (99 fps, 155 ms latency)

I've posted my fps and latency to show that it doesn't seem to be either graphical or network lag.

It would be really helpful if some people other than me posted their timings ;).
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50