The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Live Recap? (And Justice System Discussion)

SG_Celerrimus
SG_Celerrimus
✭✭✭✭✭
Did ESO live happen today?

If so, could someone who watched it just quickly post the interesting facts that were discussed?
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of Q&A's. Here are some points about the Justice System:
    • NPC AI has been upgraded and they will now perform activites such as sleeping, cleaning and taking walks among many other activities. An NPC could be sleeping in their home one moment and the next moment they could wake up and take a walk around town, go to the tavern, or go fishing in the nearest body of water.
    • In addition to your bounty, you will now have a Heat meter. Heat measures how much you're wanted, and it works alot like Just Cause 2 in the fact that guards will come running after you, the amount of guards and bounty cost getting bigger every level of heat, and if you manage to hide your heat meter will cool off. Guards will kill you on sight above a certain level of heat. If lower, they will stop you and attempt to arrest you.
    • There will not be jails in the first phase of the Justice System in Update 6, although they are talking about adding it for Phase 2.
    • Cities will have hidden Outlaw hideouts where fences are located, as well as safe havens from guards.
    • You will have a fame and infamy level, which determines NPC's reactions towards you. For example, a high infamy may cause vendors to set higher prices for their goods or even not sell to you at all, although you can still steal their goods. A high fame meter affects positive NPC behaviour, and having higher fame may get you lower prices at vendors. Infamy is increased by criminal activities e.g pickpocketing, murder, while fame is increased by acts such as stopping criminals as an enforcer, or completing quests.
    • Killing livestock will count as murder.
    • Animals cannot witness crimes.
    • If you kill everyone that witnesses your crime, your bounty and heat meter will be cleared.
    • A list of all known crimes is: Murder, Theft, Assault, Pickpocketing, turning into Werewolf Form, being a Stage 4 Vampire, feeding on people as a Vampire, breaking into houses, trespassing, and aiming weapons at people.
    • Enforcers vs. Outlaws is a prominent part of the system, with PvE activites for both sides having a big role.
    • You can become a guard in PvE and catch criminals. This will also increase your fame.
    • There will be skill lines that revolve around the Justice System.
    • The time of day may play a role in the system, and affects when shops are open and NPCs are sleeping in houses.
    • All houses now have locks on them, and you need to use lockpicking to get in. Make sure you aren't spotted or guards will come running after you.
    • Houses now have some extra goodies inside, such as safes and lockboxes.
    Edited by Neizir on December 5, 2014 10:54PM
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    In case you want to see all the fun, here's a link to today's show: http://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/b/596053449
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you want to see all the fun, here's a link to today's show: http://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/b/596053449

Thanks Gina! :D
  • Kreetar
    Kreetar
    ✭✭✭
    thank you for the recap, Neizir. so excited. :heart_eyes:
    dip me in the blood of mortals and throw me to the Dremora

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    • NPC AI has been upgraded and they will now perform activites such as sleeping, cleaning and taking walks among many other activities. An NPC could be sleeping in their home one moment and the next moment they could wake up and take a walk around town, go to the tavern, or go fishing in the nearest body of water.
    • In addition to your bounty, you will now have a Heat meter. Heat measures how much you're wanted, and it works alot like Just Cause 2 in the fact that guards will come running after you, the amount of guards and bounty cost getting bigger every level of heat, and if you manage to hide your heat meter will cool off. Guards will kill you on sight above a certain level of heat. If lower, they will stop you and attempt to arrest you.
    • There will not be jails in the first phase of the Justice System in Update 6, although they are talking about adding it for Phase 2.
    • Cities will have hidden Outlaw hideouts where fences are located, as well as safe havens from guards.
    • You will have a fame and infamy level, which determines NPC's reactions towards you. For example, a high infamy may cause vendors to set higher prices for their goods or even not sell to you at all, although you can still steal their goods. A high fame meter affects positive NPC behaviour, and having higher fame may get you lower prices at vendors. Infamy is increased by criminal activities e.g pickpocketing, murder, while fame is increased by acts such as stopping criminals as an enforcer, or completing quests.
    • If you kill everyone that witnesses your crime, your bounty and heat meter will be cleared.
    • A list of all known crimes is: Murder, Theft, Assault, Pickpocketing, turning into Werewolf Form, being a Stage 4 Vampire, feeding on people as a Vampire, breaking into houses, trespassing, and aiming weapons at people.
    • Enforcers vs. Outlaws is a prominent part of the system, with PvE activites for both sides having a big role.
    • You can become a guard in PvE and catch criminals. This will also increase your fame.
    • The time of day may play a role in the system, and affects when shops are open and NPCs are sleeping in houses.
    • All houses now have locks on them, and you need to use lockpicking to get in. Make sure you aren't spotted or guards will come running after you.

Any mention of when the PvP aspect will be implemented and we will have the complete system that was actually previewed instead of just the skeleton?

Did they give an expected time-frame for "phase 2" ?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, if you get a moment, could you please answer this question? I was wondering, say I decide to go full blown bandit on a random town somewhere. After a while, will all the NPCs that I mercilessly slaughter respawn, and if so, how long will it take?

• Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, if you get a moment, could you please answer this question? I was wondering, say I decide to go full blown bandit on a random town somewhere. After a while, will all the NPCs that I mercilessly slaughter respawn, and if so, how long will it take?

Nothing against you for doing that. But this is the main reason why I think it's a mistake to launch the justice system w/o pvp. There are builds that can withstand amazing amounts of damange. Even with elite guards, it's possible, even likely that a character with a good build can stroll into any town and completely whipe out the entire population while other players just stand there and watch.

That person might think twice if there were a few well built PCs ready to defend that town.

So call me a prophet, but here is the thread I see coming shortly after phase 1:

"ZOS PLEASE hurry up with the justice pvp! People are endlessly farming guards and citizens and there is nothing we can do but watch it happen"
    Edited by Alphashado on December 6, 2014 12:05AM
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a tiny question, when did they exactly confirm the information regarding Vampires and Werewolves? Last I checked it was only being said that there were risks, but not what specificly. Did ZOS confirm the info you wrote here, or is it just a guess jugding from past ES titles?
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »

Nothing against you for doing that. But this is the main reason why I think it's a mistake to launch the justice system w/o pvp. There are builds that can withstand amazing amounts of damange. Even with elite guards, it's possible, even likely that a character with a good build can stroll into any town and completely whipe out the entire population while other players just stand there and watch.

That person might think twice if there were a few well built PCs ready to defend that town.

So call me a prophet, but here is the thread I see coming shortly after phase 1:

"ZOS PLEASE hurry up with the justice pvp! People are endlessly farming guards and citizens and there is nothing we can do but watch it happen"

I can imagine sorcerers killing stuff and streaking away into the night.

I hope the justice system will not make "farming" citizens rewarding at all. That would be awful.
    Wololo.
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling ZOS is a bit smarter than people might give them credit for. I think ZOS is going to make to so people can take on 1-2 guards, maybe 3, but beyond that they are going to just smack people down.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling ZOS is a bit smarter than people might give them credit for. I think ZOS is going to make to so people can take on 1-2 guards, maybe 3, but beyond that they are going to just smack people down.

How long will you be alive, when you take on 2-3 guards, who deal 2.900 Damage per hit? :)

The sense of the guards is, that you have to flee or to pay the bounty. Otherwise they would be senseless in my opinion. Thiefes should always be careful!
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »

How long will you be alive, when you take on 2-3 guards, who deal 2.900 Damage per hit? :)

2900 damage per hit
    Video had 5+ hits from the guard before the player died, didn't it?

Are we looking at player HP pools in excess of 10 000 points after update 1.6?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does any one know if the enforcers will get a bounty for killing the outlaw? If so, then how is it going to be implemented?
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    Does any one know if the enforcers will get a bounty for killing the outlaw? If so, then how is it going to be implemented?

I don't think that enforcers will get a bounty for kill outlaws, I think it might just increase their level in the Enforcer skill tree (if there is one) based on the bounty height, and it might cap off after a certain bounty level, like if someone has a bounty of 2000 gold, the enforcer gets 100 points towards their skill tree, but any bounty above 2000 gold will still only award 100 points.
    Edited by SG_Celerrimus on December 6, 2014 1:59AM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »

I hope the justice system will not make "farming" citizens rewarding at all. That would be awful.

It would be a pretty pointless Justice System if you cant be a criminal at all because of the care bears who never played an ES game before ;)

Its important that a criminal can kill an NPC or steal from it. Why else should someone become a criminal if all that person can do is kill scripted no name NPCs that have no meaning to anyone?

What ZO must do is making criminals possible but with hard punishments like no more shopping in towns, losing their horses if caught, maybe even all their gold ...

• whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

2900 damage per hit

The high damage amounts is the champion system implemented, so 2900 is factored by 10, so 290 damage per hit for us, but Scott Nixon, Justice Lead advised that the guards will be UNKILLABLE.

See Kotaro's guide on theft
    Edited by whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO on December 6, 2014 3:15AM
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Justice System is all fun and games until some kills a chicken
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2900 damage per hit

Actually yes.
    Everything is supposed to be multiplied by 10 to allow players to better see the bonuses that they get from the champion system passives, that add small percentages.
    If you had 3k health, you'll have 30k. If you did 500 dmg with one attack, you'll do 5,000.
    Edited by Gyudan on December 6, 2014 2:41AM
    Wololo.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] A list of all known crimes is: Murder, Theft, Assault, Pickpocketing, turning into Werewolf Form, being a Stage 4 Vampire, feeding on people as a Vampire, breaking into houses, trespassing, and aiming weapons at people.
    ]

I can see this being a problem for some people, many salty tears will come of this. Mark Target my words.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I watched the justice system preview now and so far I like what I saw, also thanks @ZOS_GinaBruno for asking my question.

The idea of the lock boxes is great, also that vendors wont trade with a criminal at some time.

I hope the Devs keep working on the system after it was applied, so that a Criminal has some type of freedom in what he does and isn't limited to a specific NPC type, yet will be facing hard punishments when he attacks bigger targets or steals of higher NPCs like in a church, castle etc.

That some NPCs will be unkillable is a bit of a setback though, takes away some immersion :(

It might had been a better idea to just make them very strong or let them run away like to a save spot.

WOW also has unkillable NPCs and I always felt this was a bit silly in world pvp, as they kept running around calling for help / attacking players but a player couldn't get rid of them.

Time will tell I guess,

thanks for the show @ ZOS
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is a frightening thought. I've seen a non-vet build solo a resource with the help of PvP buffs. The very same buffs which still carry over into PvE land. I mean you can't expect strong VR14s to be guarding every town in every phase, so it will happen regardless. What's to stop VRs from hitting the starter islands for a murder spree for instance, the level 6s? And then what if you get a zergball group mowing everything down? *shudders*

What's the solution? Maybe get a little creative with scaling. PvP will likely need battle leveling like the Cyrodiil system, but limited to attacks versus players. (They were able to apply a nerf to stealth attacks versus players only.) Against guards and NPCs that count for the Justice System, perhaps a reverse scaling system that caps damage relative to their level. At least then one player couldn't quickly wipe a low level town.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2900 damage per hit

Actually yes.
    Everything is supposed to be multiplied by 10 to allow players to better see the bonuses that they get from the champion system passives, that add small percentages.
    If you had 3k health, you'll have 30k. If you did 500 dmg with one attack, you'll do 5,000.

It's a placebo effect that changes nothing. Everything else in the game is also getting multiplied by a factor of 10. You will still be doing the exact same amount of damage as you were before, you will still have the same amount of health as before. Nothing changes except for bigger numbers for those players who can't fathom what a 2% increase is.
    Edited by dharbert on December 6, 2014 2:59AM
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »

2900 damage per hit

Actually yes.

It's a placebo effect that changes nothing. Everything else in the game is also getting multiplied by a factor of 10. You will still be doing the exact same amount of damage as you were before, you will still have the same amount of health as before. Nothing changes except for bigger numbers for those players who can't fathom what a 2% increase is.

I agree with you, it's just cosmetic, but that wasn't the point.
    The x10 is just a possible explanation for 2900 damage per hit mentioned earlier.
    Wololo.
  • skillastat
    skillastat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the twitch part where you guys talk about the justice system and here are my questions:

You said in video that Guards are going to be invincible is that right ? If yes then why not? It should be possible in my opinion.

What will happen to dead NPCs, will they respawn the same or die definitely and other NPCs with different name and body will replace them ?

Will I get money for catching an outlaw player if I'm an enforcer ?
    (PC NA)
    -Saulo Stamina Sorcerer
    -skillastat Stamina Nightblade
    -a blade spirit Stamina Templar
    -Ultima Online I Magicka Dragonknight
    -'Solo DC* Stamina Sorcerer
    -'Ultima Online Stamina Dragonknight
    -Nerd Dk Tank Dragonknight
    -Solochi Magicka Sorcerer
    -Solo Lucci Magicka Nightblade
    -Sølomon Magicka Warden

*All characters are EP, except for one DC.

French Canadian!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It would be a good idea to allow looting/pickpocketing citizens only when you had no heat. So you could only "farm" as long as your crime went undetected, but not after. Would make slaughtering a town unprofitable after the first witnessed kill. Though class balance when it comes to hiding/escaping heat would need addressing.

Audigy wrote: »
    I watched the justice system preview now and so far I like what I saw, also thanks @ZOS_GinaBruno for asking my question.

The idea of the lock boxes is great, also that vendors wont trade with a criminal at some time.

I hope the Devs keep working on the system after it was applied, so that a Criminal has some type of freedom in what he does and isn't limited to a specific NPC type, yet will be facing hard punishments when he attacks bigger targets or steals of higher NPCs like in a church, castle etc.

That some NPCs will be unkillable is a bit of a setback though, takes away some immersion :(

It might had been a better idea to just make them very strong or let them run away like to a save spot.

WOW also has unkillable NPCs and I always felt this was a bit silly in world pvp, as they kept running around calling for help / attacking players but a player couldn't get rid of them.

Time will tell I guess,

Allowances have to be made in an MMO where other players need to access their bank or specific venders. Besides, TES has always had essential NPCs who where unkillable because they were story important or tied to a quest.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

It would be a good idea to allow looting/pickpocketing citizens only when you had no heat. So you could only "farm" as long as your crime went undetected, but not after. Would make slaughtering a town unprofitable after the first witnessed kill. Though class balance when it comes to hiding/escaping heat would need addressing.

Time will tell I guess,

Allowances have to be made in an MMO where other players need to access their bank or specific venders. Besides, TES has always had essential NPCs who where unkillable because they were story important or tied to a quest.

That's why these NPCs should be strong, run for cover etc.

Its just that if criminals really attack a village then its horrible if they cant kill the NPC´s there but the NPCs them.

Why would anyone become a criminal if he has to face that problem? Its a reason why world pvp is dead at WOW since you cant kill NPCs but they kill you.

This isn't about accessing a bank, its about actually having a point of competing in world pvp / the justice system.

As explained in the ESO live, once you reach a specific type of "ranking" you wont be able to enter banks or vendors anymore. A criminal who takes such a big setback must get something in return and not another setback by immortal NPCs that wipe the floor with them.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

Time will tell I guess,

That's why these NPCs should be strong, run for cover etc.

Its just that if criminals really attack a village then its horrible if they cant kill the NPC´s there but the NPCs them.

Why would anyone become a criminal if he has to face that problem? Its a reason why world pvp is dead at WOW since you cant kill NPCs but they kill you.

This isn't about accessing a bank, its about actually having a point of competing in world pvp / the justice system.

As explained in the ESO live, once you reach a specific type of "ranking" you wont be able to enter banks or vendors anymore. A criminal who takes such a big setback must get something in return and not another setback by immortal NPCs that wipe the floor with them.

Actually, no, a criminal doesn't have to get special treatment because they slaughtered a town full of people, for which they got loot for. They're a criminal after all, so you reap what you sew
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree that they shouldn't get backhanded by a super elite monstrous guard that eats nails and spits fire, but I disagree in that they should be compensated.

Lets not forget, they were the ones that decided to rob, loot, pillage, and steal. Doing said actions should have reprecussions, or it will feel like being a villian means you can get away scott free, and you can get away with your shenanigans. In games like Skyrim, if you kill a vendor, thats it, he/she is done, and you can't access their shop anymore. Now, with ESO, they respawn, but a similar concept is in place with the banks in this case. Now, unlike in Skyrim, you can take it back in ESO and regain access to your bank by doing good deeds, just enough so that you get access, store your junk, and then go back to merry slaughter. And who is to say that in the outlaw hideouts, there won't be an underground bank person?

Again, I agree that they shouldn't be slaughtered, but I also think they should receive penalties and results for the evil actions.
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »

Enforcers aren't in yet for 1.6. No details until follow up patch to add them
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭

Any mention of when the PvP aspect will be implemented and we will have the complete system that was actually previewed instead of just the skeleton?

Did they give an expected time-frame for "phase 2" ?

They did not.
    However considering they said it will be in with imperial city(big PvP centered patch) and Justice system was moved up basically only 1 patch ahead of schedule in place of imperial city my predicition is 1.7.

IN that case you will get 1.7 with...
    Champion system phase 4 first season set(imperial daedric) and Justice system part 2 with PvP(enforcers)