The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Can't Rank Up

• Borgir
    Borgir
    Soul Shriven
    I got the same problem from V1 to V2. i'm on European Server
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't we have this same issue with skill XP, just a few weeks ago?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the skill lines still getting XP even if the char is VR14?
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just encountered the same problem, I couldn't level up to VR8 although I just did, theoretically. I'm looking forward to a fix.

Edit: NA server.
    Edited by Moonshadow66 on November 11, 2014 9:32PM
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We have identified the issue where you are unable to level up to a higher Veteran Rank even though you are continuing to gain XP. We are working on a fix for this as quickly as possible, but please be aware that you are not losing any XP by playing in the interim. Once we roll out the fix, all you’ll need to do is earn one point of XP (by killing a monster or discovering a town) and you’ll rank up to the correct Veteran Rank and receive skill points owed to you.

Also, we have heard your concerns about the overall amount of time it takes to earn Veteran Ranks, and are planning to reduce the amount of XP required to earn a Veteran Rank to 1,000,000 XP from 1,432,550 XP, decreasing the amount of time it takes to gain a Veteran Rank by a third. We’re aiming to have this available to you in our next patch.

Great... so 2 vr zones per level instead of 3... still a damn far cry from the "should be faster to level in VR zones" you talked about before Update 5.

If you want to throttle the xp gained by top ranked players, then do it... stop crapping on the rest of us.
  • Heartcarver
    Heartcarver
    Soul Shriven
    Hi everyone,

We have identified the issue where you are unable to level up to a higher Veteran Rank even though you are continuing to gain XP. We are working on a fix for this as quickly as possible, but please be aware that you are not losing any XP by playing in the interim. Once we roll out the fix, all you’ll need to do is earn one point of XP (by killing a monster or discovering a town) and you’ll rank up to the correct Veteran Rank and receive skill points owed to you.

Also, we have heard your concerns about the overall amount of time it takes to earn Veteran Ranks, and are planning to reduce the amount of XP required to earn a Veteran Rank to 1,000,000 XP from 1,432,550 XP, decreasing the amount of time it takes to gain a Veteran Rank by a third. We’re aiming to have this available to you in our next patch.

If they do that, will the excess experience currently earned be applied to additional levels...? As in, if we are VR3, we basically will have earned enough XP to be VR4, so when implemented will we get a level increase as a result?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

If they do that, will the excess experience currently earned be applied to additional levels...? As in, if we are VR3, we basically will have earned enough XP to be VR4, so when implemented will we get a level increase as a result?
    Yes, that's correct. You'll just need to gain any amount of XP in order to trigger the new level.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me again. I just posted here, and when I got back to the game (which was just minimized while posting here), I got the message that my Veteran Rank levelled up every time I killed something.
    Now it looks like I'm VR8 instead of 7, but I still got no skillpoint, and I can't get rid of these messages in the middle of the screen.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my question as well. Would love an answer on this. :smile:
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Heartcarver
    Heartcarver
    Soul Shriven
    Hi everyone,

Yes, that's correct. You'll just need to gain any amount of XP in order to trigger the new level.

Let me amend my question, I mean for the patch to reduce XP needed for level, not for the fix that will be instituted for the current bug. When they drop the level requirements down to 1mil instead of 1.45m per level, will that excess be a applied to our XP to knock us ahead levels...?

• GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Given how much 1.5 slowed leveling in VR, reducing XP required by 1/3 will still be far slower and "force" XP grinding for those who just want to play through the content on level.
    Why? and
    How does this fit with the pre-1.5 announcement that VR leveling would be faster?
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again it is not the time there is the issue.... its the content compared to the xp needed level up. One veteran zone only equals around 700k xp.
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

So you nerf Vet xp gain by 50%+ with patch 1.5 and now propose to give back 30% so the nerf will only be 20%+ now.

BRILLIANT!!
    Edited by Garetth on November 11, 2014 10:44PM
  • Jamesbr1b14_ESO
    Not wanting to beat a dead horse... I left a message last night in game and it appears to be addressed, but I am surprised at all the complaints of 1,432,550 being too high. In every game there are people that complain that the cap is too high, but many of those same people are the ones that get you wiped because they don't know how to play their characters very well. The cap isn't outrageous at 1.4 mil and can be done by completing Gold and Craglorn without much effort. Conversely, now that I have a couple of VR14s, that 432K reduction in required XP is GREAT for any future characters I plan to level, but should be in place for everyone's first character. Nobody likes the guy that gets you wiped because he spent more time in a zerg grinding mobs or bought his/her character and never learned how to play!
  • Sheaden
    Sheaden
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

Any updates or eta on this issue of not being able to rank up?
    Edited by Sheaden on November 12, 2014 12:26AM
  • Arandear
    Arandear
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, this is good news about reducing XP, at least in my opinion, but when you said it will be in next patch do you mean as in Update 6 or the Thursday's Fix/Patch?

Thanks B)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arandear wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, this is good news about reducing XP, at least in my opinion, but when you said it will be in next patch do you mean as in Update 6 or the Thursday's Fix/Patch?

Thanks B)
    I was wondering the same thing, or indeed whether it'll be Monday (1.5.4) rather than Thursday (1.5.3 part 2). Also if by having a patch on Thursday whether they are still going to patch on Monday as well.

A question for anyone who has said that there's not enough content to gain one Vet Rank per Zone who tried to rank up between 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 - was the value of 1,432,550 working at that time, and you could not get that much XP within one zone, or was it unintentionally (invisibly) set to 4,000,000 already, and that's why you couldn't rank up in one zone? I think it's a very odd coincidence that 4,000,000 is 2.7 times 1,432,550 and it was taking 2 to 3 zones to rank up, which is why I suggested that maybe 4,000,000 had been in the back-end since 1.5.2.
    I'd just be interested in knowing whether that theory has any backing. If so, then the proposed change to 1,000,000 would mean that you'd gain a rank about 2/3 the way through a zone, which is on par with the intention that levelling will be faster; if not, then you'd gain a rank after 1.8 zones, which is still under-level for the content and still takes "too long" (content-wise, not time-wise).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • GranularNote429
    GranularNote429
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem going from V1 to V2. European server.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We're being stonewalled, don't think they want to admit to anything or clarify exact values on the worth of xp after this coming patch vs what it was before this 1.5 debacle.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Thanks B)
    I was wondering the same thing, or indeed whether it'll be Monday (1.5.4) rather than Thursday (1.5.3 part 2). Also if by having a patch on Thursday whether they are still going to patch on Monday as well.

A question for anyone who has said that there's not enough content to gain one Vet Rank per Zone who tried to rank up between 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 - was the value of 1,432,550 working at that time, and you could not get that much XP within one zone, or was it unintentionally (invisibly) set to 4,000,000 already, and that's why you couldn't rank up in one zone? I think it's a very odd coincidence that 4,000,000 is 2.7 times 1,432,550 and it was taking 2 to 3 zones to rank up, which is why I suggested that maybe 4,000,000 had been in the back-end since 1.5.2.
    I'd just be interested in knowing whether that theory has any backing. If so, then the proposed change to 1,000,000 would mean that you'd gain a rank about 2/3 the way through a zone, which is on par with the intention that levelling will be faster; if not, then you'd gain a rank after 1.8 zones, which is still under-level for the content and still takes "too long" (content-wise, not time-wise).
    Thought I'd add on to this with some numbers:

Under VPs, it took 456,000 VP to get from VR1 to VR2. That's 300 instances of 1520 VP, a common VP reward.
    Under XPs, it will take 1,000,000 XP to get from VR1 to VR2. That's 200 instances of 4990 XP, a common XP reward.
    This suggests that, following this change, gaining a rank will be 2/3 quicker (content-wise) than it was under VP.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Nikse
    Nikse
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

It means that all vr11-vr13 will be vr14 ?
    The excess experience for a vr11 is
    432k*10=4mil=4vr levels

o:)
    Edited by Nikse on November 12, 2014 12:34PM
    Eskin - Wood Elf Nightblade, Daggerfall Covenant
  • sonyboy30neb18_ESO
    I have the same problem on all characters ESO EU.V8 for a second and then again V7 :-(
    Maybe the new patch will fix this.

r9p7iubckv4a.jpg
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

Thanks B)
    We're planning on including the XP reduction in tomorrow's patch, not Update 6.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on November 12, 2014 2:53PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Arandear
    Arandear
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! Great news! B)
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    When will the quest xp be fixed?
  • Blo0dstorm
    Blo0dstorm
    ✭✭✭
    Same here:
    Stuck at VR9 with 'Veteran rank level up' flashing on my screen each time I kill a mob.
    European server.
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks B)

Under VPs, it took 456,000 VP to get from VR1 to VR2. That's 300 instances of 1520 VP, a common VP reward.
    Under XPs, it will take 1,000,000 XP to get from VR1 to VR2. That's 200 instances of 4990 XP, a common XP reward.
    This suggests that, following this change, gaining a rank will be 2/3 quicker (content-wise) than it was under VP.

I'm curious where you are getting this information: That's 200 instances of 4990 XP, a common XP reward.

Everything I have see from others is that you barely get that amount of xp from finishing one of Caldwell's main quests let alone other quests which give less than a 1000xp, and everything after much less.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Let me amend my question, I mean for the patch to reduce XP needed for level, not for the fix that will be instituted for the current bug. When they drop the level requirements down to 1mil instead of 1.45m per level, will that excess be a applied to our XP to knock us ahead levels...?
    Yes, that's correct. Here's how everything is going to work:

When we release patch 1.5.4 (tomorrow), we'll be reducing the amount of XP required to earn a Veteran Rank to 1,000,000 XP. We are also fixing the issue where you are not gaining any Veteran Ranks, even though you've earned enough XP.

If you have 999,999 XP before tomorrow's patch, you'll just need to gain 1 XP to rank up. This is all as expected.

If you have over 1,000,000 XP, you will automatically level up to the correct Veteran Rank, and any additional XP will rollover once 1.5.4 is released. That said, there is a known UI issue where your bar will show you need 4,000,000 XP to gain a rank. This is wrong, and is only a visual error. So, let's say you're VR2 with 2,500,000 XP before we have tomorrow's maintenance. When you log in after patch 1.5.4 is published, you will automatically be VR4 with 500,000 XP toward VR5. However, due to the UI issue, your progress bar will only be 1/8 full. Don't worry, you will still gain the next rank when it reaches 1/4 . This issue will be fixed in our next patch.

Hope that makes sense and helps explain what you can expect!

(edited because math)
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on November 12, 2014 8:14PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *edit*
    Edited by babylon on November 12, 2014 9:53PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Garetth wrote: »

Thanks B)

I'm curious where you are getting this information: That's 200 instances of 4990 XP, a common XP reward.

Everything I have see from others is that you barely get that amount of xp from finishing one of Caldwell's main quests let alone other quests which give less than a 1000xp, and everything after much less.
    I haven't done any Cadwell's quests since the patch, so I'm not sure how much XP they give, but I was getting 4990 for Cyrodiil dailies.

This discussion has been closed.