The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Will There Be An Halloween Event?

• Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a few folks have already mentioned, we won't be conducting any Halloween celebrations in-game, as Halloween isn't a Tamrielic holiday. That being said, let us know if you're holding any in-game events of your own!

It would be wonderful if we could get any Tamrielic holidays in game :D

Here are some from the link coming up soon that I think would make super fun in game festivities:

The Emperor's Birthday - 30th Frost Fall (30th October)

On the 30th of Frostfall, the Emperor's Birthday was the most popular holiday of the year. Great traveling carnivals entertained the masses, while the aristocracy of Tamriel enjoyed the annual Goblin Chase on horseback.

The Serpents Dance - 3rd Sun's Dusk (3rd November)

The Serpents Dance in Satakalaam may or may not have begun as a serious religious holiday dedicated to a snake god, but this day is a reason for a great street festival.

Moon Festival - 8th Sun's Dusk (8th November)

On the 8th of Suns Dusk, the Bretons of Glenumbra Moors hold the Moon Festival, a joyous holiday in honor of Secunda, goddess of the moon. Although the goddess has no active worshippers, the traditional celebration has continued through the ages as a time of feasting and merriment.
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a few folks have already mentioned, we won't be conducting any Halloween celebrations in-game, as Halloween isn't a Tamrielic holiday. That being said, let us know if you're holding any in-game events of your own!

If I could give this post a thousand thumbs down.. I would. Why is it important to ZOS if players are holding in-game Halloween events (assumingly that's what is being referred to) if it isn't a "Tamrielic" holiday? It sounds more to me like an easy excuse to save some effort. Very disappointing ZOS.. not that there is no Halloween event.. but there is NO event that will be during Halloween.

I mean your creative team couldn't think something up as to what type of celebration they could use in order to celebrate during the time many other MMOs will be celebrating? Lazy and highly disappointing.

On that note people, The Secret World will be having awesome events during that time.

Well 1st off i would like to see ZOS work on thing to fixing game issuse we 1st this event thing may sound nice and cool now but like WoW after 10 year with no chance in the event people are basic beg blizzard to add new thing to event which never do.

Do really want to see samething here as well?

I like event a lot but fact is i think it is better that ZOS fix game and add all thing to make game better before add so call "eye candy" to game like event hopeful we will see event in future who knows.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Stroggnonimus
    Stroggnonimus
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that not everybody celebrates Halloween, half of Europe doesn't give a sh** about it... and I think the same goes for Asia...
    Whoever said that argonians aren't sexy, is obviously not a sexy argonian.

OG Argonian tank

BLOOD FOR THE PACT !

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenTea wrote: »

I count 26 holidays alone since the game launched. I don't expect the game to feature all of them but it's not marked any of them so far. Surely some festival events would be good for the game?

The problem with that is most of the events are not celebrated all throughout Tamriel and are instead region specific. That would mean pouring resources into events that only one faction can freely enjoy, while the other ones would be out of luck unless they are at the appropriate vet level.

Good point. However, ESO has MMO-ized an awful lot of stuff from the original ES games to this one. So ideally I'd like to see them settle on four seasonal events and simply make them "world-wide." Then the winter festival one could coincide with, roughly, our Xmas, Spring could be around Easter, Fall festival could be towards the end of October RL and the summer festival could be... well darn near any time but somewhere near one of the summer holidays. I say this not because I want to "force religion" on anyone but because these are times where a lot of the player base is on vacation and spending more time playing the game anyway so the max amount of people would get to experience and enjoy the "holiday" content. I'll leave it to those better versed in the lore than I to help us figure out which ES festivals best suit this idea.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

I count 26 holidays alone since the game launched. I don't expect the game to feature all of them but it's not marked any of them so far. Surely some festival events would be good for the game?

The problem with that is most of the events are not celebrated all throughout Tamriel and are instead region specific. That would mean pouring resources into events that only one faction can freely enjoy, while the other ones would be out of luck unless they are at the appropriate vet level.

Good point. However, ESO has MMO-ized an awful lot of stuff from the original ES games to this one. So ideally I'd like to see them settle on four seasonal events and simply make them "world-wide." Then the winter festival one could coincide with, roughly, our Xmas, Spring could be around Easter, Fall festival could be towards the end of October RL and the summer festival could be... well darn near any time but somewhere near one of the summer holidays. I say this not because I want to "force religion" on anyone but because these are times where a lot of the player base is on vacation and spending more time playing the game anyway so the max amount of people would get to experience and enjoy the "holiday" content. I'll leave it to those better versed in the lore than I to help us figure out which ES festivals best suit this idea.

No, thank you.

I don't want an ingame equivalent of the real world, seen that in SWTOR, and it was just plain wrong.

Leave Real Life in the Real World.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, thank you.

I don't want an ingame equivalent of the real world, seen that in SWTOR, and it was just plain wrong.

Fair enough , you may not want it , but that wont change the fact these events are really popular in other MMOs.

This could be excusable of zen if they had actually spent the time to then have the lore linked events. problem is they dont have neither in the game , which is just lazy.

Lets hope they start to work on this soon.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, thank you.

Fair enough , you may not want it , but that wont change the fact these events are really popular in other MMOs.

Yes, and as I said they are usually just plain wrong. They feel like an event that has been imported just because something is happening at that time.

I have no Object to some sort of celebration per say, but the people doing them are usually the laziest hacks in the industry.

They create a thinly veiled version of Halloween/Christmas/Easter/Fourth of July (not a holiday outside of USA but everyone gets it nevertheless), and each time the effort is less, and the tarnish to the game is more.

Which is why I don't want Real life events. I understand why people want them, and if they were done properly I might even agree, but until then.....
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with Real World events left out but if they wanted to do something special for Tamriel holidays. Been in many mmos with many halloween events I've had enough.
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just it, this isn't like other MMO's. It's better! Hate when people complain oh we need a map to show holidays and different things going on. We need holiday's because it is in other games. We need Auction house like WoW does.

Guys I have a secret to tell ya.

THIS ISN'T WOW AND WE DON'T WANT IT TO BE!!!
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »
    Here are some from the link coming up soon that I think would make super fun in game festivities:

The Emperor's Birthday - 30th Frost Fall (30th October)

On the 30th of Frostfall, the Emperor's Birthday was the most popular holiday of the year. Great traveling carnivals entertained the masses, while the aristocracy of Tamriel enjoyed the annual Goblin Chase on horseback.

So... we're celebrating Uriel Septum's birthday, roughly 700 years before he was born? I... uh... how does that work exactly?
  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    That is just it, this isn't like other MMO's. It's better! Hate when people complain oh we need a map to show holidays and different things going on. We need holiday's because it is in other games. We need Auction house like WoW does.

Guys I have a secret to tell ya.

THIS ISN'T WOW AND WE DON'T WANT IT TO BE!!!

And yet WoW is 10 years old and it's next expansion will pull in more players than ESO will ever see.

Not that WoW is the only game with an AH and holiday events, heck, it wasn't even the first to do those things.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay okay okay.

Got it, the lore-knights don't want RL holiday, we're tracking, everybody is picking up what you're putting down.

But how about this:

Festivals!

In a text-based MUD my wife and I used to play, every so often a fest would roll into town.

With it would come mini-games, special food and drink, special armor with unique looks and other awesome UNIQUE things.

Make it as lore-faithful as possible and run with the idea.

There's so much potential for awesome. Don't waste it.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to argue that WoW has pulled in more people than ESO or any other game LIKE IT all because of AH and Holidays then you really are delusional.

To me WoW is a one in a life time game that may or may not happen again.ESO is NOT WoW and never will be thank God.

I agree we could have festivals as long as it holds true to the lore of ESO. Amazes me how many people yelling for WoW AH and Holidays are a lot of the same people complaining when games copy from other games and or WoW. You just can't win with these people and most of the time these are the same people that end up getting what they want then complain when it isn't done to their liking or not done exactly like WoW or EQ, or any other number of games.

ZOS you have so far stayed as close as you could to the lore of ESO and I hope you stay on that track. Fix the bugs like you have been and end game then you can think about doing other things that at least stay true to Elder Scrolls.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Rhaegon
    Rhaegon
    ✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    You want to argue that WoW has pulled in more people than ESO or any other game LIKE IT all because of AH and Holidays then you really are delusional.

To me WoW is a one in a life time game that may or may not happen again.ESO is NOT WoW and never will be thank God.

I agree we could have festivals as long as it holds true to the lore of ESO. Amazes me how many people yelling for WoW AH and Holidays are a lot of the same people complaining when games copy from other games and or WoW. You just can't win with these people and most of the time these are the same people that end up getting what they want then complain when it isn't done to their liking or not done exactly like WoW or EQ, or any other number of games.

ZOS you have so far stayed as close as you could to the lore of ESO and I hope you stay on that track. Fix the bugs like you have been and end game then you can think about doing other things that at least stay true to Elder Scrolls.
    I want the events so the game will feel more alive. Also, I see no reason for an AH, it's much more fun to bargain your price.
  • MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, am I right to understand that statement as an official confirmation that there will be in-game events at the appropriate TES-holidays?
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be sporting a Mannimarco costume because it's by far the scariest.
  • Elvinfire
    Elvinfire
    ✭✭
    The special Halloween event will be in Craglorn just before Halloween and during the day. Sneak up on me near the Wayshrine, and will scare the f
    Cr-- out of you. :-)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »
    In german forum @ZOS_KaiSchober told us that there will be no official Halloween Event. Besides that they are open to support player created events.

Bethesda (and now ZOS by association) are too used to letting players fix their games for them (all the modding for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and now the addon community for ESO). It's just laziness not to add events for us.

You do get that ZoS are not the same peoples as the Bethesda studio, right? I mean, that's like saying because Infinity Ward and Trearch have worked on the same franchise they're practically the same dev.

Um, You do know that Bethesda is a department of Zenimax, Zenimax literally own Bethesda, not merely share a franchise.

By that logic, because Trearch and Infinity Ward are both owned by Activision...

I'm aware of the relationship, but the fact is the ZoS guys are not related to the Bethesda dev team. These guys are veteran MMO developers. They seem to be doing a good job building on Bethesda's setting, but it isn't the same as saying, "oh, yeah, alls them are thah saime folk."
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In german forum @ZOS_KaiSchober told us that there will be no official Halloween Event. Besides that they are open to support player created events.

Bethesda (and now ZOS by association) are too used to letting players fix their games for them (all the modding for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and now the addon community for ESO). It's just laziness not to add events for us.

You do get that ZoS are not the same peoples as the Bethesda studio, right? I mean, that's like saying because Infinity Ward and Trearch have worked on the same franchise they're practically the same dev.

Um, You do know that Bethesda is a department of Zenimax, Zenimax literally own Bethesda, not merely share a franchise.

By that logic, because Trearch and Infinity Ward are both owned by Activision...

I'm aware of the relationship, but the fact is the ZoS guys are not related to the Bethesda dev team. These guys are veteran MMO developers. They seem to be doing a good job building on Bethesda's setting, but it isn't the same as saying, "oh, yeah, alls them are thah saime folk."

Oh, I wasn't saying they are the same team, no way, two seperate teams.
    But what I was saying is that ZOS aren't going away either.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, thank you.

Yes, and as I said they are usually just plain wrong. They feel like an event that has been imported just because something is happening at that time.

I have no Object to some sort of celebration per say, but the people doing them are usually the laziest hacks in the industry.

They create a thinly veiled version of Halloween/Christmas/Easter/Fourth of July (not a holiday outside of USA but everyone gets it nevertheless), and each time the effort is less, and the tarnish to the game is more.

Which is why I don't want Real life events. I understand why people want them, and if they were done properly I might even agree, but until then.....

I do agree that unless they are "done right" I have no interest in them either. That said, I DO have a large interest in them because I doubt ZoS WOULD give us a "thinly veiled" Xmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, etc. An event about mid-February having to do with Dibella would certainly not ruin it for me just because it happens near a real world holiday that celebrates love.

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, am I right to understand that statement as an official confirmation that there will be in-game events at the appropriate TES-holidays?

That would be nice too... but I kinda doubt it. :(

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »
    It's halloween already in the game. Ice wraiths everywhere :)

And so much people are visiting the zombies in coldharbor too.

Hmm come to think of it... just bring your ice wraith and go to coldharbor and it's halloween all the time :)

@Syntse , right. Already more costumes than a New Year's Eve party...

And as you say, dremora everywhere, zombies, portals.

I've been trying to give bainkin candy ever since the games started, but they just get pissed off. Guess liver and jazbay grapes aren't considered the treat I thought they were.
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I can do without the judeo-christian "holidays" cluttering up yet another game, thanks though.

If you want to celebrate a holiday which is celebrated and appropriate to your region and/or beliefs, do it in reality. Don't demand that it be forced upon everybody else in video games as well.

Halloween isn't exactly Judeo-Christian in origin. It has pagan roots. And asking for some levity in the game is HARDLY forcing anyone's religion on you.

Please take your righteous indignation down a few notches, people just want happy funtime games to alleviate the "oh so seriousness" of the game in it's current state.

@WraithAzraiel‌ , I was wondering this myself, but you beat me to the punch.

@Sarenia‌ , I was looking forward to your explanation of how this qualified as Judeo-Christian, but that's okay. I was more amused at the other proclamation of extremism. You don't want anything 'forced' on you, yet you expect to enforce any non-belief on everyone else.

Neither here nor there, the remaining Christian holidays you speak of are so overridden by commercialism that the resulting message is hardly religious based, more often than not anyway.

Keep the game the game. If you want IRL, logout and take as long as you like.

More than enough IRL crap to go around. The game should be an escape from it.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    I hope this could mean we eventually see Tamrielic holidays.
    We're looking at how best to celebrate the Tamrielic holidays in-game, after we've addressed some of the higher-priority gameplay matters.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We're looking at how best to celebrate the Tamrielic holidays in-game, after we've addressed some of the higher-priority gameplay matters.

With a festival atmosphere and tons of free loot, pets/costumes/mounts/emotes/trophies that do things/special themed potions/eventually furniture and etc for the houses we know you're going to be putting into game soon/and other fun stuff.
    Edited by babylon on October 21, 2014 3:07PM
  • Garbrac
    Garbrac
    ✭✭✭

With a festival atmosphere and tons of free loot, pets/costumes/mounts/emotes/trophies that do things/special themed potions/eventually furniture and etc for the houses we know you're going to be putting into game soon/and other fun stuff.

As much as I didn't like the overall gameplay, Guild Wars 2 does an amazing job with holidays. If Zenimax was to do something similar to the way GW2 handles their holidays events they would be nothing short of epic!
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Garbrac wrote: »

As much as I didn't like the overall gameplay, Guild Wars 2 does an amazing job with holidays. If Zenimax was to do something similar to the way GW2 handles their holidays events they would be nothing short of epic!

LOTRO is awesome as well. Some of the events they made, and the areas they created...just amazing. Take a look at that one as well.
  • Leijona
    Leijona
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help so much to feel more at home in Tamriel. And to make the world more alive. The holidays of GW2 were great and made me login, even if I did nothing else then doing holiday stuff. Therefore, I hope there is not so much prioritized stuff that we would see the first holiday not before 2016. That would be sad.
    Edited by Leijona on October 21, 2014 3:22PM
  • Rhaegon
    Rhaegon
    ✭✭

Exactly what I wanted to read!
  • UndeadBlood
    UndeadBlood
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about rl holidays. But I would like some seasoned stuff, like snowy cities in winter.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_AmeliaR, the creative talent, along with the Lore experts at ZOS and BGS, should come up with a Tamrielic festival that just happens to celebrate during the first week in April. In the game, it would be something trivial that is generally observed by all of Tamriel with no real-world meaning. Meanwhile, outside of the game, it is commemorating the anniversary of the game.

Edit: This does not have to be some elaborate in-game event, especially not the first year. Define the lore, describe the event, chat it up outside the game, let the players fill in the blanks the first time around. Just get it on the calendar.

Edited by Elsonso on October 21, 2014 10:33PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus