The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will There Be An Halloween Event?

• Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can do without the judeo-christian "holidays" cluttering up yet another game, thanks though.

Always hated on EQ2 seeing people running around with pumpkins on their heads, or candy cane swords.

I think when people say they want real world judeo-christian holidays in-game (because nobody ever asks for stuff like muslim holidays), what they really mean is "I want a period of time where we get free stuff".

No twizzler shaped swords or witch hats for you I guess.

If you want to celebrate a holiday which is celebrated and appropriate to your region and/or beliefs, do it in reality. Don't demand that it be forced upon everybody else in video games as well.

As a final thought, Tamriel has it's own holidays, and those are what we should push to see represented in-game. They are lore-friendly, and not tied to any single cultural tradition or religious dogma in reality.
    Edited by Sarenia on October 17, 2014 9:57AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh at ease already, a little levity won't turn the game into WoW.

On the one hand, I agree. Back when I played WoW I did think the holiday events were cute. But then I thought all of WoW was cute. And it is. ESO is NOT cute nor do I want it to be. IF they are going to do holiday content (and yeah, I hope they do, 'cause it's fun and a change of pace) I want them to do lore based holidays. I'm okay with it if they fudge the calendar a bit to make those holidays coincide with our real world ones 'cause with the way time works in the game anything else isn't particularly practical. But I see one Santa hat and I'm out! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KenjiJU wrote: »
    Dremora costume, that's all.

My thought exactly.
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Ideas for a Halloween "Event":

-Traveling NPC who tells ghost stories.
    -Contest out of game to come up with ghost stories for traveling storyteller.
    -An Oblivion Plane of a haunted house to explore (or some sort of haunted area).
    -Guest able only PVP zone of Cyrodiil that has contagious zombie like virus where you can infect each other while doing the usual Cyrodiil shenanigans (us vs. them vs. them vs. zombies).

Don't need special costumes or prizes (well getting your story into the game is kind of a prize I guess), just something different that happens during the season and most will be happy.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideas for a Halloween "Event":

-Traveling NPC who tells ghost stories.
    -Contest out of game to come up with ghost stories for traveling storyteller.
    -An Oblivion Plane of a haunted house to explore (or some sort of haunted area).
    -Guest able only PVP zone of Cyrodiil that has contagious zombie like virus where you can infect each other while doing the usual Cyrodiil shenanigans (us vs. them vs. them vs. zombies).

Don't need special costumes or prizes (well getting your story into the game is kind of a prize I guess), just something different that happens during the season and most will be happy.

I really like your first idea about the NPC ghost story teller with player supplied stories! Not AS keen on the "haunted house/area" because frankly we already have PLENTY of those to deal with in regular questlines. HOWEVER, it might be a lot of fun to incorporate a "Hallowen-ish" theme into some of those for a short time. In DC the ghostly mother from the Baleborn Child quest could reappear as a quest giver attempting to lay a new curse on some [snip] who had done his lover wrong and you must choose to either help or thwart her. Or the ghost haunted village of Westry (I think I've misspelled that) could have a new outbreak of ghostly activity with a mystery your character has to solve. And quest rewards should TOTALLY be cool costumes for the disguise slot. Also, you should be able to purchase a costume from the storyteller as well... but only AFTER listening to his or her story in its entirety.

Obviously it's too late for them to do anything nearly this cool this year...but I hope they are taking notes for NEXT year!

It WOULD be nice if, this year, they'd set up a special vendor where you could buy a variety of costumes for the disguise slot. Even this late I'm pretty sure they could actually come up with like 5 of them at least.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on October 17, 2014 7:20PM

• ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a few folks have already mentioned, we won't be conducting any Halloween celebrations in-game, as Halloween isn't a Tamrielic holiday. That being said, let us know if you're holding any in-game events of your own!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a few folks have already mentioned, we won't be conducting any Halloween celebrations in-game, as Halloween isn't a Tamrielic holiday. That being said, let us know if you're holding any in-game events of your own!

Oh! Finally! Thanks a lot!
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well some of us don't want real holidays interfering with the game. Some of us have no problem with game based holidays occuring in game, but think real holidays should be celebrated with friends and family in the real world.

I know this because others have said so, and I agree with them. (not using any variation on the Royal We or anything)
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Might we perhaps one day see the Witches Festival? It could get interesting with wild summonings running about terrorizing people.
    Witches's Festival - 13th Frost Fall (13th October)

Today is the 13th of Frost Fall, known throughout Tamriel as the Witches's Festival when the forces of sorcery and religion clash. The Mages Guild gets most of the business since weapons and items are evaluated for their mystic potential free of charge and magic spells are one half their usual price. Demonologists, conjurers, lamias, warlocks, and thaumaturgists meet in the wilderness outside city, and the creatures created or summoned there may plague Tamriel for eons. Most wise men choose not to wander this night.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well some of us don't want real holidays interfering with the game. Some of us have no problem with game based holidays occuring in game, but think real holidays should be celebrated with friends and family in the real world.

I know this because others have said so, and I agree with them. (not using any variation on the Royal We or anything)

Absolutly agree. Real holidays for real life!
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this could mean we eventually see Tamrielic holidays.
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brace yourselves, there will be skeletons and goblins everywhere. I think I might dress my char up as a goblin with the shadow silk gem XD
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could give this post a thousand thumbs down.. I would. Why is it important to ZOS if players are holding in-game Halloween events (assumingly that's what is being referred to) if it isn't a "Tamrielic" holiday? It sounds more to me like an easy excuse to save some effort. Very disappointing ZOS.. not that there is no Halloween event.. but there is NO event that will be during Halloween.

I mean your creative team couldn't think something up as to what type of celebration they could use in order to celebrate during the time many other MMOs will be celebrating? Lazy and highly disappointing.

On that note people, The Secret World will be having awesome events during that time.
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    +1 awesome - thanks for keeping that kind of nonsense out of ESO

╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    αӡѻυг
    ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^
    ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heishi wrote: »
    Brace yourselves, there will be skeletons and goblins everywhere. I think I might dress my char up as a goblin with the shadow silk gem XD

There are skeletons everywhere all the time now, so that won't different. Even people using the Goblin disguise is quite common.

In fact I'll bet half of the people using them now will take them off just to be different.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I propose a mass skeleton hangout in Daggerfall City - possibly right outside the door where new characters land in town ......

That should be quite a welcome .....
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I propose a mass skeleton hangout in Daggerfall City - possibly right outside the door where new characters land in town ......

That should be quite a welcome .....

Errrr. Are you trying to scare off new players by any chance,
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »
    In german forum @ZOS_KaiSchober told us that there will be no official Halloween Event. Besides that they are open to support player created events.

Bethesda (and now ZOS by association) are too used to letting players fix their games for them (all the modding for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and now the addon community for ESO). It's just laziness not to add events for us.

You do get that ZoS are not the same peoples as the Bethesda studio, right? I mean, that's like saying because Infinity Ward and Trearch have worked on the same franchise they're practically the same dev.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    babylon wrote: »
    In german forum @ZOS_KaiSchober told us that there will be no official Halloween Event. Besides that they are open to support player created events.

Bethesda (and now ZOS by association) are too used to letting players fix their games for them (all the modding for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and now the addon community for ESO). It's just laziness not to add events for us.

You do get that ZoS are not the same peoples as the Bethesda studio, right? I mean, that's like saying because Infinity Ward and Trearch have worked on the same franchise they're practically the same dev.

Um, You do know that Bethesda is a department of Zenimax, Zenimax literally own Bethesda, not merely share a franchise.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On that note people, The Secret World will be having awesome events during that time.

Grinding random, despawning mobs for crap drops, and an infinity small chance of something decent dropping doesn't sound like "awesome" to me.

Also, the 40+ worldbosses sound really cool until you experience it first hand, and sit there spamming an AR builder along with 50 other players, because the lag is too bad to even use another ability (except red mist)... then jump to a different instance so you can start all over, on the hope you might get something cool, and the probability you'll just get a candy consumable or your 83rd brown handwrap that's been renamed.
    Edited by starkerealm on October 17, 2014 5:21PM
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about " Witches's Festival - 13th Frost Fall (13th October)"?

Quoting:
    Today is the 13th of Frost Fall, known throughout Tamriel as the Witches's Festival when the forces of sorcery and religion clash. The Mages Guild gets most of the business since weapons and items are evaluated for their mystic potential free of charge and magic spells are one half their usual price. Demonologists, conjurers, lamias, warlocks, and thaumaturgists meet in the wilderness outside city, and the creatures created or summoned there may plague Tamriel for eons. Most wise men choose not to wander this night.

I'm guessing this is non-canonical? Can we get some clarification for Mythos buffs like myself?

Works cited:
    http://www.imperial-library.info/content/calendar-tamriel
    Edited by Gedalya on October 17, 2014 7:01PM
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I can do without the judeo-christian "holidays" cluttering up yet another game, thanks though.

Always hated on EQ2 seeing people running around with pumpkins on their heads, or candy cane swords.

I think when people say they want real world judeo-christian holidays in-game (because nobody ever asks for stuff like muslim holidays), what they really mean is "I want a period of time where we get free stuff".

No twizzler shaped swords or witch hats for you I guess.

If you want to celebrate a holiday which is celebrated and appropriate to your region and/or beliefs, do it in reality. Don't demand that it be forced upon everybody else in video games as well.

As a final thought, Tamriel has it's own holidays, and those are what we should push to see represented in-game. They are lore-friendly, and not tied to any single cultural tradition or religious dogma in reality.

Halloween isn't exactly Judeo-Christian in origin. It has pagan roots. And asking for some levity in the game is HARDLY forcing anyone's religion on you.

Please take your righteous indignation down a few notches, people just want happy funtime games to alleviate the "oh so seriousness" of the game in it's current state.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭

I count 26 holidays alone since the game launched. I don't expect the game to feature all of them but it's not marked any of them so far. Surely some festival events would be good for the game?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is non-canonical? Can we get some clarification for Mythos buffs like myself?

It's probably from Daggerfall. IIRC, that was the only Elder Scrolls game that actually had a coherent, full, calender, complete with holidays.
  • GreenTea
    GreenTea
    ✭✭✭

I count 26 holidays alone since the game launched. I don't expect the game to feature all of them but it's not marked any of them so far. Surely some festival events would be good for the game?

The problem with that is most of the events are not celebrated all throughout Tamriel and are instead region specific. That would mean pouring resources into events that only one faction can freely enjoy, while the other ones would be out of luck unless they are at the appropriate vet level.
    Watch me derp around playing ESO twitch.tv/tea_the_khajiit
    In-game info: @Greeentea (with Three E's)
    Main: Ki'tea
    Morrowind Roleplayer since launch!
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenTea wrote: »

The problem with that is most of the events are not celebrated all throughout Tamriel and are instead region specific. That would mean pouring resources into events that only one faction can freely enjoy, while the other ones would be out of luck unless they are at the appropriate vet level.
    I think it wouldn't be too big of a stretch if some of those holidays became Tamriel-wide. Some probably already are: Old Life/New Life, harvest festivals, Heart's Day, summoning days (not exactly a holiday, but y'know). Not all holidays are as culture-specific as Broken Diamonds or Hel Anseilak.
  • Rhaegon
    Rhaegon
    ✭✭
    I do agree with that choice, but the Tamrielic celebrations are not really celebrated in-game. Do you guys have any plan on making events? Maybe temporary quest or decorations?

• kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is about as close as it gets to All Hallows' Eve in Tamriel.

13th of Frostfall: Witches' Festival is the day when the forces of Sorcery and Religion clash.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be noted, the tournament isn't being held because it's halloween, it's being held because it's harvest time. I put it on 10/31 as I have nothing to do that night and usually Fridays aren't too busy for RPing. It's a date I can remember.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, if this is the excuse for not having this event:

Then i wonder , where are all the events on that list that we havent even seen one until now?

Honestly to me this is just an excuse to not have to create such events at all.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor