The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Improving Dark Anchors (refined edition)

nicholaspingasb16_ESO
nicholaspingasb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
1. Make Them Feel Like an Event

Dark anchors are currently confined to a small area, and have no impact on the world around them. Change that! make it so that anchors, if left open for too long, begin to impact the world by filling it with Daedra of all types. For example, an anchor left open for 10 minutes will begin to send out scamps and clanfears to various towns and cities, harassing players and killing NPC guards at the edge of town. If left open for 30 minutes, an anchor will begin sending organized squads of scamps, clannfears and dremora to raid and seize towns , preventing quests in the town from being completed until the daedra are repelled in a siege-style endeavor. After 4 hours of being open, a massive army of 200 high level daedra will pour out and begin slaughtering players, low level and high level. At this point, a zone will become absolutely overrun, with the only way for players to access it being a concerted effort to siege and take back various cities and towns. The times that these things occur will be adjusted with the zone's population, of course.

2. Cross Over Into Coldharbour

You should have to cross over into Coldharbour to close an anchor. Once the outside defenses of the gate have been breached, you and everyone else can go into the anchor, entering a wailing prison-type zone, where you must clear a large area and fight a zone boss that requires team work to kill. This boss should be big and powerful, and it should feel like a true incarnation of Molag Bal. Around the boss would be areas of different heights, with the boss moving from large cliffs and shooting balls of flame down to ground level where he smashes players with powerful AoE melee attacks. Once defeated, the anchor closes in a flash of light and the players are scattered to various places around around the zone, with a small buff called "Favor of Arkay" that gives you an additional 10% damage against the undead for the next 2 hours.

3. Cyrodiil Dark Anchors With Vampire Defenders. MUAHAHAHAH! (the first part of this one I'm not so sure about, but something similar to it would be an interesting mechanic)

Vampires, being the children of Molag Bal, should naturally have the option to take up arms for their father. In cyrodiil, vampires can choose to defend a dark anchor from invaders, regardless of their faction.

Secondly, dark anchors should drop down at random in the middle of PvP battles, forcing alliances to either give up their hatred for each other and work together, or continue slugging it out while Daedra pour onto the field and slaughter their troops.

Obviously, dark anchors will have to work differently in cyrodiil than in PvE zones in order to keep the focus of the players in cyrodiil on each other and not on closing the anchor (unless it drops onto them in the middle of a PvP battle). This means that there would be no gradual invasion by Daedric forces across cyrodiil, and that there would be no Coldharbour section for PvP anchors. Instead, there would simply be an instant and deadly attack from a force of 50 or so high-level daedra.

4. LOOOOOOT

Give players who complete a dark anchor a sigil-stone type item, similar to the ones from Oblivion, where you can apply it to an item and receive a powerful enchantment.

5. Scaling

Scale the number and power of the monsters that drop out of an anchor based on the number of players in an area around the anchor. That way, no matter how large the group doing the anchor is, it will always be challenging.

NOTE 2: This is a refined, edited re-post of the version I put up about 3 months ago that only got 200 views or so, and barely any discussion. I'm putting it up again because I think the ideas are still valid and should be discussed.
Sanguine's Beta Tester

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like number one best, although the 2000 high level daedra is a bit much. I would add an environmental effect radiating out from the anchor after a certain amount of time that changes the color filter and begins transforming the landscape itself.

I would replace the 2000 daedra after some length of time with the crossing over bit from number two.

As for number three, there are already non-anchor drop-spawns in PvE only zones in Tamriel where daedra appear from the sky with a deep horn blast. This could be placed in the same spots where crossed swords appear on the map in Cyrodiil.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for number three, there are already non-anchor drop-spawns in PvE only zones in Tamriel where daedra appear from the sky with a deep horn blast. This could be placed in the same spots where crossed swords appear on the map in Cyrodiil.

Those little rifts are boring. Anchors are big, scary, evil looking things that pose an actual threat and could draw alliances to work together to put it down.

Sanguine's Beta Tester

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Anchors are usually far enough away from cities that the roaming attacks would not be practical. However going into Coldharbor or some Deadric Realm to finalize the battle might be fun.

I do agree that they could scale to population around the Anchor, but how would that be determined? Greifers could camp near the Anchor, but never do anything and drive up the spawn rate. It might also cut down on the number of people who approach a Dark Anchor if they think it will drive up the spawn rate. Finally, people could just camp outside the "detection zone" until the battle starts and then swoop in on a reduced population. Too many variables and too many ways to mess them up for a scaled population.

Rewards from the Anchors should be improved from what they are, no matter what avenue that takes. Also, destroying a Dark Anchor for the first time, or one that has unique Bosses should offer up a reward no matter the level of the player. Repeats of generic anchors should remain as they are, no reward if your over leveled.

As for going into Coldharbor to finalize the battle, that could be fun. But I would want to see more of an outcome to that. Like if you destroy the link, that Anchor would never come back. However that mechanic would not fit with an MMO unless the Instancing could support that. So, I guess it would be just a fourth stage or wave to the battle (Cultists, Lessor Deadra, Greater Daedra/Bosses, then Coldharbor link)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Venereous44
    Venereous44
    ✭✭✭
    I like the concept of these ideas.. but the main idea is sort of a catch 22 to players.. if no one is around to close it in the beginning then it becomes a lot less likely to be closed as it starts taking compounded numbers of players to achieve it.

A happy medium of this idea would work though... perhaps a few waves of spawning mobs, kept to a manageable number... but perhaps they go further away from the anchor as time intervals pass. This would effect a further and further radius making it likely to be dealt with.

Definitely don't like the idea of zoning out for anything... to either get enough players to deal with an anchor that hasn't been touched because its 2am CST and now its just an open spigot for mobs... or to get zoned into coldharbor just to close it.
    Edited by Venereous44 on August 12, 2014 10:48PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those little rifts are boring. Anchors are big, scary, evil looking things that pose an actual threat and could draw alliances to work together to put it down.

They could be made much bigger and scarier for Cyrodiil. Anchors include specifically built structures and a sacrificial ritual, and if they are altered as per your suggestions or my modifications the existing anchors in Cyrodiil would become more of a threat anyway if the roaming spawns got close to keeps.

Besides, there is already a mechanic in place for random location Coldharbor incursions, so why not just beef those up to make them real terrors on the Alliance battlefields by using the huge daedra (Daedric Titans, Daedroth, that big fleshy creep from The Arrival trailer, and maybe some new variety just for drop-spawns in Cyrodiil).
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Has OP ever done the vampire quest?

Clan Lamae actually hates Molag Bal since the progenitor of vampires never got over the whole deadric prince forcing himself on her thing. Since the pc is officially part of this clan if their a vamp that idea makes little to no sense.
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

They could be made much bigger and scarier for Cyrodiil. Anchors include specifically built structures and a sacrificial ritual, and if they are altered as per your suggestions or my modifications the existing anchors in Cyrodiil would become more of a threat anyway if the roaming spawns got close to keeps.

I said in the OP that there would be no roaming spawns in Cyrodiil to keep the focus on PvP. Also, there is an anchor over top of Cloud Ruler Temple that is not connected to a dolmen, so clearly they don't all require a ritual to open.
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anvos wrote: »
    Has OP ever done the vampire quest?

Clan Lamae actually hates Molag Bal since the progenitor of vampires never got over the whole deadric prince forcing himself on her thing. Since the pc is officially part of this clan if their a vamp that idea makes little to no sense.

Nope, vamp free since 4.4.14!

However, if what you say is true, you make a good point.
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I said in the OP that there would be no roaming spawns in Cyrodiil to keep the focus on PvP.

I was responding primarily to the parts that didn't strictly keep the focus on PvP:
    Secondly, dark anchors should drop down at random in the middle of PvP battles, forcing alliances to either give up their hatred for each other and work together, or continue slugging it out while Daedra pour onto the field and slaughter their troops.

Obviously, dark anchors will have to work differently in cyrodiil than in PvE zones in order to keep the focus of the players in cyrodiil on each other and not on closing the anchor (unless it drops onto them in the middle of a PvP battle). This means that there would be no gradual invasion by Daedric forces across cyrodiil, and that there would be no Coldharbour section for PvP anchors. Instead, there would simply be an instant and deadly attack from a force of 50 or so high-level daedra.

The whole not wanting to have to be distracted by needing to close the random anchor thing is why I was suggesting just beefing up the random sky drops attacks. Whether there are random patrols from anchors or not is secondary, but honestly, they would add something to the PvP experience in terms of environmental hazards.

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Make Them Feel Like an Event

Dark anchors are currently confined to a small area, and have no impact on the world around them. Change that! make it so that anchors, if left open for too long, begin to impact the world by filling it with Daedra of all types. For example, an anchor left open for 10 minutes will begin to send out scamps and clanfears to various towns and cities, harassing players and killing NPC guards at the edge of town. If left open for 30 minutes, an anchor will begin sending organized squads of scamps, clannfears and dremora to raid and seize towns , preventing quests in the town from being completed until the daedra are repelled in a siege-style endeavor. After 4 hours of being open, a massive army of 200 high level daedra will pour out and begin slaughtering players, low level and high level. At this point, a zone will become absolutely overrun, with the only way for players to access it being a concerted effort to siege and take back various cities and towns. The times that these things occur will be adjusted with the zone's population, of course.

2. Cross Over Into Coldharbour

You should have to cross over into Coldharbour to close an anchor. Once the outside defenses of the gate have been breached, you and everyone else can go into the anchor, entering a wailing prison-type zone, where you must clear a large area and fight a zone boss that requires team work to kill. This boss should be big and powerful, and it should feel like a true incarnation of Molag Bal. Around the boss would be areas of different heights, with the boss moving from large cliffs and shooting balls of flame down to ground level where he smashes players with powerful AoE melee attacks. Once defeated, the anchor closes in a flash of light and the players are scattered to various places around around the zone, with a small buff called "Favor of Arkay" that gives you an additional 10% damage against the undead for the next 2 hours.

3. Cyrodiil Dark Anchors With Vampire Defenders. MUAHAHAHAH! (the first part of this one I'm not so sure about, but something similar to it would be an interesting mechanic)

Vampires, being the children of Molag Bal, should naturally have the option to take up arms for their father. In cyrodiil, vampires can choose to defend a dark anchor from invaders, regardless of their faction.

4. LOOOOOOT

Give players who complete a dark anchor a sigil-stone type item, similar to the ones from Oblivion, where you can apply it to an item and receive a powerful enchantment.

5. Scaling

Scale the number and power of the monsters that drop out of an anchor based on the number of players in an area around the anchor. That way, no matter how large the group doing the anchor is, it will always be challenging.

NOTE 2: This is a refined, edited re-post of the version I put up about 3 months ago that only got 200 views or so, and barely any discussion. I'm putting it up again because I think the ideas are still valid and should be discussed.

awesome!!! great ideas!!!
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nearly a 1.5yr necro thread. Impressive.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Withdrawn due to necromancy.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on November 27, 2015 11:59PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the normal zones are fine with the anchors they have

However for Cyro or future zones, i think anchors could use a boost. - Bigger, tougher - More mechanics to clearing them (like having them spawn enemies steady as you kill them until you shove one (or trick one) (wihtout killing it) into the middle to have the anchor blow up, could be pretty darn interesting - something of the sort.

I remember back at launch, anchors were a crazy big thing. I hope for new players (not rerolled characters, actual NEW players) - they still are
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy necro-thread Batman!

I like the idea of making them an event though. I'd go one further mind you - make them mobile. Why they were ever designed as static is beyond me, I imagine it was due to technical limitations. But they should be able to pop up in the world anywhere and at any time, seemingly entirely random.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always hoped Dark Anchors would develop into something like invasions from Rift and would come with powerful world bosses to be killed for cool, unique rewards. Granted I realize this game doesnt really do the 'cool rewards' thing and unique looking rewards are pointless when theres no transmog/vanity system... but one can dream.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on November 27, 2015 8:57PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like your ideas especially number 1 but crossing over into pocket realms of Oblivion is just gosh darn cool too. Im going to keep you on my radar op I like the way you think :)

Edit: lol necro thread got me :p still good ideas are timeless.
    Edited by nimander99 on November 27, 2015 11:35PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worthy of a necro. I saw an idea once where the anchors would upgrade and increase in radius and power the longer they're open.

In short... these things need an overhaul.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Make them appear at random places throughout Cyrodiil. The higher gathering of people, the higher spawn chance; and the greater amount of adds that spawn out of it :-)
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could take credit for this necro. This was a fun thread when it first came up. Who cares how long a thread is dormant if the ideas are still interesting.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xabien wrote: »
    Holy necro-thread Batman!

I like the idea of making them an event though. I'd go one further mind you - make them mobile. Why they were ever designed as static is beyond me, I imagine it was due to technical limitations. But they should be able to pop up in the world anywhere and at any time, seemingly entirely random.
    Make them appear at random places throughout Cyrodiil. The higher gathering of people, the higher spawn chance; and the greater amount of adds that spawn out of it :-)

Yes! This is why I suggested when this thread first began having something *like* anchors, like those sky drops with a few daedra from PvE zones, be buffed up a bunch and added to Cyrodiil where the crossed sword pop up on the map. Not every time of course, but some RNG probability would be greater for a drop at the swords.

• Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn this is one impressive Necro.

Seriously, though, I've been pining for RIFT-style zone invasions and true open-world events in ESO since before launch. Dark Anchors disappoint me with how bland they are. I'd love more variety and have true invasions happen in zones that have consequences. Redguard fleet shows up on the shores of Greenshade and no one attacks them? Then the NPCs proceed to take over the entire map and players need to fight them off. Give me a reason to go back into those zones, ZOS! That'd be fun as all heck!
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Daedra event for a limited time such as an invasion would seem kinda cool. But not permanent.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • AMadAussie
    AMadAussie
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancy aside, nice ideas from OP and still totally relevant. If world dolmens shared more similarities to the Unfinished Dolmen world boss in Wrothgar they'd be far more entertaining. Mainly the little things like area damage and lighting.
    Edited by AMadAussie on November 28, 2015 7:33AM
    ESO; Where the issues far outnumber the fixes.
    I tell it how it is.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMadAussie wrote: »
    Necromancy aside, nice ideas from OP and still totally relevant. If world dolmens shared more similarities to the Unfinished Dolmen world boss in Wrothgar they'd be far more entertaining. Mainly the little things like area damage and lighting.
    Might be a bit much for regular Alliance zones for newer players but I could see something tougher/more involved in Cyrodiil. Especially if they added more types of/greater chances of set item pieces to the loot.

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say more enemies but at same time I think there should be larger anchors that function like in the trailers where the hooks land all over and between fighting daedra you'd have to smash the hooks loose rather than the lame pinions. Also daedra should take a page from the fates on ffonline and have them run to towns have guards try holding them at the gates. Leaving thieves a chance to steal while the law holds the gates until enough players can close the gates.
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno PLEASE ask some of the devs about this. It would be so cool and also give a sense of oppression and urgency to close them that this game is lacking.
    Edited by jackleminer55 on November 28, 2015 5:26PM