The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

M'aiq's Words of Wisdom/I Like M'aiq (achievement) - locations of M'aiq in every zone!

CoUsT
CoUsT
✭✭✭
Hello!

I think I can call myself a "achievement hunter". This time I almost finished M'aiq's Words of Wisdom, after 1.1.2 patch renamed to I Like M'aiq. I want to share with you his locations in every zone to help you doing this achievement. It took me around 7 hours to gather informations about his locations and find him in 17 zones. Started around 18:30 in Glenumbra (http://i.imgur.com/7noPvYY.jpg) and finished 01:10 in Shadowfen (http://i.imgur.com/a3BLilN.jpg). I still didn't found him in 1 zone. If you know his location in Coldharbour - let me know and I will confirm and update this post.

When you try to talk to him in small time intervals, he won't tell you anything new. He told me 3 things.
IOFp3yV.jpg
YUoQF9F.jpg
ZKRJ0NY.jpg

But after that "Come back later" all the time.
kpMAmrd.jpg
QshOt9V.jpg
5uIgkmX.jpg
odva8tV.jpg
BZ9wcgn.jpg
0DaCLzi.jpg
rTJwBHD.jpg
N2XTCMX.jpg

I'm using minimap addon in game. You can see M'aiq on screen and my position on minimap.

The * means that there is comment for that zone. You should check that comment.

You also shouldn't stop searching when you can't find him here. Go to next zone, "come back later" - as M'aiq says! Never stop looking for him! He will spawn in 5 min, 15 min... or 5 hours. :P

Remember that there are many locations where he can spawn. I just showed you one of many (I know people that found M'aiq in 3 different locations in some zones). You can find him somewhere else. (thanks for pointing that out @tangorn)

Daggerfal Covenant
  • Betnikh
    YPEs9bj.jpg
  • Glenumbra
    7noPvYY.jpg
  • Stormhaven
    AduhUQS.jpg
  • Rivenspire
  1. WMeO0xP.jpg
  2. Screenshots by @Gexy‌
    Screenshot_20140509_223009.png
    Screenshot_20140509_223017.png
  3. r3ts49t.jpg
  • Alik'r Desert
    89hhdGw.jpg
  • Bangkorai
    l1tjtn2.jpg

Aldmeri Dominion
  • Khenarthi's Roost
    tVLbjYk.jpg
  • Auridon
    bgNmfHc.jpg
  • Grahtwood
    nQN24GR.jpg
  • Greenshade
    cRztnKh.jpg
  • Malabal Tor
    Srr3jow.jpg
  • Reaper's March
    WRfoddd.jpg

Ebonheart Pact
  • Bal Foyen ***
    KgBoxh5.jpg
  • Stonefalls
    QcbJ7dF.jpg
  • Deshaan
    k5lysPw.jpg
  • Shadowfen ***
    a3BLilN.jpg
  • Eastmarch
    4IuaFOw.jpg
  • The Rift
    mR9Yw6G.jpg

Coldharbour
MISSING KNOWN LOCATION

Meanwhile I was trolling low level players in Alik'r Desert. LOL
Ql114LK.jpg

*Bal Foyen - There is strange thing after you complete this zone.
Bal Foyen is kinda tricky.
You need to see Netches to see M'aiq.

kjFYH9Y.jpg

Now I don't see M'aiq and Netches:

woQ93BE.jpg

And now I see Netches but he despawned:

kal0QD0.jpg

And I needed to enter that Overlook point 25 times. He randomly spawn when you enter it.

KgBoxh5.jpg

*Shadowfen
People say that he appear on sunset. I also couldn't find him on night and very, very early morning. Checked this place after half hour and he was there.

I used few sources to find him in game.
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/66442/m-aiq-in-the-elder-scrolls-online
This thread helped a lot. But there are still missing zones.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:M'aiq_the_Liar#Locations

Same as above. There are also wrong informations, for example: Glenumbra, The Rift (not sure about these locations, checked them but I couldn't find M'aiq there), missing location for Alik'r Desert.

http://teso.gamepedia.com/M'aiq_the_Liar

It helped me with Glenumbra, Rivenspire and Khenarthi's Roost.

@komodosaurianeb17_ESO‌ created cool video with all M'aiq the Liar quotes! Check his thread, there are more videos!
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/99640/m-aiq-the-liar-in-teso

Special thanks for:
- Minthis, who showed me M'aiq location in Bangkorai and Alik'r Desert!
- @Gexy, for telling me M'aiq location in Malabal Tor.
- @Usara, for his useful tips - check them! (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/776826/#Comment_776826)
Edited by CoUsT on June 4, 2014 1:35PM
  • tangorn
    tangorn
    ✭✭
    I only saw M'aiq once in Glenumbra and it was not in the location you show, it was close to the AD landing side so he moves around as always
    Edited by tangorn on May 9, 2014 2:46AM
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    tangorn wrote: »
    I only saw M'aiq once in Glenumbra and it was not in the location you show, it was close to the AD landing side so he moves around as always

Sure, there are many locations where he can appear. I know people that saw him in 3 different locations. Good point, I will add this to first post! Thanks!
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    in malabal tor is in one of the little isles at ovest of windshriek strand skull point
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    @Gexy, here?
    M60lVEW.jpg

This is only one island, all other "islands" are big stones. Waiting for him here for ~1h but he isn't spawning.
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    yep it was there..
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting for him around 3 hours but he is not spawning here. :( Are you sure it's correct island?
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    I will ask my friend when he comes online. Actually he found m'aiq and then i went there for talk with him
    Edited by Gexy on May 9, 2014 2:29PM
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    I logged in half hour ago, checked place and he spawned after 5 minutes. What a bad luck this morning... :P

http://i.imgur.com/Srr3jow.jpg

Now we need to find him on Coldharbour. I checked west side of Caldharbour yesterday but without luck. :(
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    Screenshot_20140509_223009.png
    Screenshot_20140509_223017.png

don't check the graphic i'm on a old pc until i get new pc :(
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for screenshots, added them to first post. :)
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    I regularly check Coldharbour but traveling in this zone is so complicated !

I will give you a sign if I ever spot him there of course.
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • HARDGAME
    HARDGAME
    Soul Shriven
    So, still no idea for his Coldharbour loc? Searched him for two days there, no luck (
  • Fablelost
    Fablelost
    HARDGAME wrote: »
    So, still no idea for his Coldharbour loc? Searched him for two days there, no luck (

Same here except i did search him in CH for a week now.
    "Come Nerevar, friend or traitor come. Come and look upon the Heart and Akulakhan. And bring Wraithguard, I have need of it."
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if M'aiq even exists in Coldharbour... I'm spamming in /zone too but never got any reply.
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    since they changed the achievement name it may be possible to find m'aiq in coldharbour now D:
  • Gexy
    Gexy
    ✭✭✭
    old SS when i was still lvl 43 (now vr11) lol
    Screenshot_20140415_151647.png

Screenshot_20140415_151650.png

another one with just map SS
    Screenshot_20140508_012745.jpg

and shadowfen
    Screenshot_20140510_121923.png

Screenshot_20140510_121930.png

btw i'm currently play elder scroll online with morrowind graphic lol
    Edited by Gexy on May 25, 2014 10:29AM
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    I think M'aiq doesn't exist in Coldharbour. NPCs for Golden Palms and other that achievements don't exist in Coldharbour. They probably forgot to remove it from M'aiq Words of Wisdom. I can't belive that noone shared his location in Coldharbour...
  • Shadowhorn
    Shadowhorn
    ✭✭
    Come on, Maiq! Show yourself in Coldharbour.
  • Fablelost
    Fablelost
    Shadowhorn wrote: »
    Come on, Maiq! Show yourself in Coldharbour.
    We have not even a chance.
    "Come Nerevar, friend or traitor come. Come and look upon the Heart and Akulakhan. And bring Wraithguard, I have need of it."
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi CoUsT !

I have not been able to update my list of location for a while because I got stuck in Bangkorai for a long time thanks to a bugged main quest.

Just to share my feelings on what you said about M'aiq in Coldharbour : I too have the impression that it's an oversight. I'm regularly trecking Coldharbour, and no sight of him, nor did I ever met any player that found him there.
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few other screenshots of him in other places so I'll add the ones you don't have. :) (I've edited out the chat for privacy reasons)

Glenumbra (sorry I wasn't using the mini map at this point, so no map location, but the dock to Betnikh/Stros M'kai is in the background.
    MaiqTheLiarGlenumbra.jpg

Stormhaven
    MaiqTheLiarStormhaven.jpg

Rivenspire
    MaiqTheLiarRivenspire.jpg

Alik'r
    MaiqTheLiarAlikr.jpg

Bangkorai
    MaiqTheLiarBangkorai.jpg

I've only just reached VR so I haven't found him in the other factions yet. :)
  • Shadowhorn
    Shadowhorn
    ✭✭
    I have an idea for location in CH. Must test first though.
  • Krovax
    Krovax
    EDIT: changed global timer reset for talking to M'aiq: doing other events kept me from finding M'aiq, however I was able to find M'aiq twice in less than 10mins in locations I was missing and completing the achievement in those zones. What is odd though, that talking to M'aiq will not sound the achivement sound. My current working thesis is, that doing other things will trigger global timer and M'aiq won't spawn, but talking to M'aiq won't reset it and you can find him in any of his locations without waiting time.

Just some observations that Prometheus and I made during our quest to get the other achievements in the exploration tab (rob merchants, give to beggars, use matches):

- it seems all of these are on a global timer (not limited to a zone)
    - if you choose to activate one of the events, your global timer will reset
    - if you choose to NOT activate the event, these events will keep spawning at the known locations until you activate one, you can also try a different zone if you already finished the event that spawned and try there
    - when timer is still running, M'aiqs, Beggars, Merchants, etc. will not spawn in any of the known locations
    - global timer will reset by doing one of the following achievement events:
    - 1) giving money to a beggar (he spawns and is looting a sack on the ground, will get companion signal when you get near and talk to you)
    - 2) lighting the fire (two persons of different races arguing about not being able to get the fire running)
    - 3) robbing (intimidate) the merchant (merchant in standing next to a horse, when you intimidate him, he drops a backpack and sits down. Not to be confused with the merchant caravan ambush (case "e" below))
    - 4) finding and talking to M'aiq
    - global timer will also be reset by doing one of the following other events (which will all give you the achievement sound, even though there is no achievement for it (yet?)):
    - a) Duelling mages (start of as yellow, then turn red and attack each other only, until you join in)
    - b) Summoning gone wrong (summoner opening portal to Oblivion, can't handle what he bargained for)
    - c) Tied up hostage lures you into a trap (if you go near him, he apolgizes and enemies will spawn and attack)
    - d) Daedric portal spawn (you get the dolmen sound and a group of daedra spawns)
    - e) Merchant caravan ambush (caravan guard battling on 2-3 robbers, next to a horse and merchant)
    - f) Enemy trying to open a chest, summoning reinforcements when you attack him
    - g) in Grahtwood: the two guys arguing about cultural differences (Grahtwood achievement). Not 100% sure on this one

We figure that the global timer is about 30-60mins and I am under the impression, that logging out to check back later does not help, meaning it only counts down, when you're ingame (same as food). This doesn't really fit with the 17 locations in 6hrs of the OP, so my estimate might be too long.

So when looking for M'aiq in Coldharbor, keep that in mind.
    Edited by Krovax on June 19, 2014 4:19PM
  • Shadowhorn
    Shadowhorn
    ✭✭
    Shadowhorn wrote: »
    I have an idea for location in CH. Must test first though.

Tried to have a look near all the points of interest ( symbol of an eye on map ). Because he spawns near them sometimes. I think there are two problems we approach while trying to find him in CH. One is that CH is so.. how to put this.. weirdly formed, it has no order, I can never tell where I am, nor if I have checked all the places because its a jungle ( for me anyway ) and second, for most of us he is the last Maiq we are trying to find.. what if you can only see one Maiq at a time and only spawn another Maiq when you talk to him. It may be that our Maiq is spawned somewhere where we dont need him already and we never speak to him to trigger the CH one to spawn. Just a couple of suggestions. I wasnt able to look into all the points of interest more than couple of times since im battling my motivation because im not sure whether he even is there.
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 99.9% sure that M'aiq doesn't even exist in CH...

Of course there is no info from devs and they probably don't know about it, so they won't delete "Coldharbour" from "I like M'aiq" achievement.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌, can you please confirm this or tell others to change this?
  • VampiricOmen
    VampiricOmen
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, very much for this thread. I figured while I'm doing each Zone's worth of Lightbringer, Crime Pays and Give to the Poor, I might as well find M'aiq in my escapades. This thread has shed some light on where he hangs out, as I usually stumble upon him without the intent of finding him.

I found M'aiq in Shadowfen at the location you have in the first post, around noon time in-game. Not sure if the clock in the image below is accurate, but the sun was high in the sky. Like you mentioned, I did not see him there at sunrise when I checked earlier.

srNuAXa.jpg
    Edited by VampiricOmen on June 20, 2014 5:53AM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have anyone had ANY luck finding M'aiq in Shadowfen after the most recent update?? I've trawled both the locations given here for literally hours, but he simply doesn't show up
  • Zero_Tolerance
    Zero_Tolerance
    ✭✭✭
    And now there's going to be a dye tied to M'aiq achievement. Any news on his Coldharbour location?
    Edited by Zero_Tolerance on July 12, 2014 8:17AM
  • Kayira
    Kayira
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he doesn't exist in coldharbour. I hope they fix it in the next patch or we won't be able to get the dye linked to the achievement. Or he is incredibly hard to find in coldharbour which I doubt. Someone must have found him by now. I think he is bugged.

To the OP. Thank you and great guide. Finally tracked him down in all zones apart form coldharbour today. Now I have to get those merchants, beggars and fires lit....
    Edited by Kayira on July 12, 2014 11:21AM
    EU PC
    In Game Tag: @Silthoras

Raid Mains: Warden and Templar Heals
    DDs: Mag Sorc and Mag Necro
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kayira wrote: »
    I think he doesn't exist in coldharbour. I hope they fix it in the next patch or we won't be able to get the dye linked to the achievement. Or he is incredibly hard to find in coldharbour which I doubt. Someone must have found him by now. I think he is bugged.

To the OP. Thank you and great guide. Finally tracked him down in all zones apart form coldharbour today. Now I have to get those merchants, beggars and fires lit....

They recently said he isn't in cold harbour, but he sheould be, and they will fix it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule