The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

M'aiq in the Elder Scrolls Online

Gedalya
Gedalya
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a good article in general on M'aiq:
elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/M'aiq_the_Liar

M'aiq, pronounced Mike, is an easter egg NPC placed into a number of the Elder Scrolls games; he spouts misinformation.

For the curious, here is Content Designer David Zeb Cook with ZoS in a clip in which he pronounces or mispronounces the name M'aiq:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eVcMqGryww

Some questions have been posed as to if he would be in the game; with the answer of no being the answer. Clearly he is in the game; other questions suggest the character we see is an ancestor.

These two QAs are from the Knowledge-base:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1738/~/will-maiq-the-liar-from-the-elder-scrolls-series-be-in-the-elder-scrolls

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/~/will-we-meet-an-ancestor-of-maiq-the-liar%3F

And a video showing him in TESO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02FT36D4N8

And another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u26shGfgt4

If you spot M'aiq, please share where you saw him and what he said.
Edited by Gedalya on April 24, 2014 3:01PM
Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AD Khenarthi's Roost, east/northeast beach behind the quest temple.
    DC Glenumbra south shore, east of Aldcroft, next to the set crafting station in some ruins.

He'll tell you three things before he's out for that location. A couple gems:

"Everyone talks about more spacious bags, but no one ever talks about the weight of things that go in them." (Paraphrase, also 4th wall break)

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of sea. M'aiq is not so sure yet about High Elves."
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Nation
    Nation
    In Shadowfen, M'aiq spawns at the NW corner, just a little SW of the larger of the two islands - under the big tree.

He only spawns at night.
    Edited by Nation on April 13, 2014 3:52AM
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    M'aiq, pronounced Mike, is an easter egg NPC placed into a number of the Elder Scrolls games; he spouts misinformation.
    Not always misinformation. He also comments on development decisions.

Remember some of his skyrim quotes?

"What does it mean to combine magic? Magic plus magic is still magic." (Dual casting)

"Something strange happens to Khajiit when they arrive in Skyrim."
    Going from digitigrade (Morrowind / Oblivion) to plantigrade (Skyrim / ESO)
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    Actually M'aiq is not pronounced "Mike". If you listen to him (in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and now ESO) he pronounces his name as My - eek. ie long i sound and then long e sound.

Great thread, been looking for him in Shadowfen for ages. Been to every single location of the map and nothing. Didn't know he was actually in the game at all until I found him in Stonefalls by accident. Now I'm on M'aiq hunt. Must have that achievement.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's not pronounced 'Mike,' it's 'My-eek.'
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    Nation wrote: »
    In Shadowfen, M'aiq spawns at the NW corner, just a little SW of the larger of the two islands - under the big tree.

He only spawns at night.

Actually he showed up very early in the morning for me. I got there just at dawn - the stars where just beginning to fade. Thought I'd have to wait around all day untill night fall, but he showed up as the sun was just peeking through mountains across the water.
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    He's not pronounced 'Mike,' it's 'My-eek.'

I just said that. :)
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one usually finds UESP to be more complete: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:M'aiq_the_Liar
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    Just found him in Eastmarch. NE of Windhelm on the same side of the river. Up near where the mountains touch the water.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't note any times of day (if that is when he moves about)

Bal Foyen: Plantation Point Overlook (had to go right to the cliff edge to get him to fade in)

Stonefalls: 1. north of the gate from Bal Foyen, close to the cliff face
    2. just west of Armature's Upheaval

Eastmarch: On the coast at the river mouth north of Windhelm (i have not seem him there since though...)

Shadowfen: confirming the above location (SW of the larger NW island under the large tree), he appeared around sunset.
    Edited by Mix on May 2, 2014 1:57AM
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    He can spawn any time of the day or night from what I've seen.

This is NOT a comprehensive list. Just where I found him. There are lots of other known locations, some given in the comments in this thread.
    Also check http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/95054/m-aiq-s-words-of-wisdom-i-like-m-aiq-achievement-locations-of-m-aiq-in-every-zone/p1 thread from @CoUsT

M'aiq is not present in Coldharbour at the moment, despite the achievement.

Bal Foyen : Plantation Point Overlook. Easy for characters who have not done the quests around but once the zone is phased it's a bit harder(don't know the quest that phases the zone). You have to stand at the very edge of the cliff - one way to tell if you're in the phase where M'aiq spawns is to look for Netches around the terasse. They're absent outside of M'aiq phase.
    • MaiqEbonIBalFoyen_zps2fb7f070.png
    "M'aiq wonders why no guards stand watch on the mushrooms. They are taller than towers and far more comfortable."

Stonefalls: Near Steamlake Encampment, by the lake.
    • MaiqEbonIIStonefalls_zpsd86b291d.png

"M'aiq learned the brothers of Strife are either volcanoes or Elves. If one of each, their mother could have some explaining."

Deshaan: Following the river to the North West from the Ghost Snake Vale Wayshrine, you reach a waterfall. M'aiq is usually at the top. Just have to follow the edge of the cliff to the right until you can go up.
    • MaiqEbonIIIDeshaan_zpsf1d8dfcb.png

"M'aiq would gorge himself in a kwama mine, if time allowed."

Shadowfen:By the river, under the roots of a giant tree, between the Shrine of the Blackmaw and the Telvanni Acquisition Camp, and down the road going south from the Graceful Dominator.
      1. MaiqEbonIVShadowfena_zpse76f9eff.png
      2. MaiqEbonIVShadowfenb_zps5701a5dd.png

"M'aiq regrets few things. Failing to wear boots in a swamp is one of them".

Eastmarch:On the north eastern coast of Windhelm. Easiest way is to follow the road going north east from Wayshrine in the city, then climb the stairs on the wall and jump from there.
      I forgot to screen what he said :(
      • MaiqEbonVEastmarch_zps6173c149.png

The Rift:On the dragon mound north of Smokefrost Vigil and on the north-western lake border of Faldar's Tooth dungeon.
        1. MaiqEbonVIRifta_zps42f1210b.png
        2. MaiqEbonVIRiftb_zps27052c19.png

"It is so cold here, yet M'aiq sees Nords in sandals. Madness!"

Betnikh: On a small beach on the coast west of Moriseli.
        • MaiqDaggerIBetnikh_zps0ee7f0db.png

"Have you seen dragons ? No ? M'aiq thinks they must be hiding... for now."

Glenumbra: On the island of Methantano's Tower (crafting station), behind the stone wall doorway.
        • MaiqDaggerIIGlenumbra_zps155e9a39.png

"M'aiq father was Q'iam, from a long line of Qia'ms. But M'aiq does not believe this. His father was a known liar."

Stormhaven:On Fisherman's island, at the top of the tower.
        • MaiqDaggerIIIStormhaven_zps28b7ad59.png

"M'aiq doesn't care if the tunnels beneath Wayrest are a feat of engineering. The smell is horrific !"

Rivenspire: On the island north of the crafting station of Vaewend Ede.
        • MaiqDaggerIVRivenspire_zps2975cd2f.png

"M'aiq despises bats. Tiny winged skeevers. Disgusting !"

Alik'r Desert: On top of the hill in Easterly Aerie.
        • MaiqDaggerVAlikr_zpsa4519666.png

"Redguards fear the undead, but why ? The gnawing upon the flesh ? The stench of death ? Hmm. Perhaps M'aiq understands."

Bangkorai: Sacred Springs and on the sanded beach above Silaseli Ruins.
          1. MaiqDaggerVBangkorai_zps750f2734.png
          2. MaiqDaggerVBangkoraib_zps5dec173d.png

"M'aiq once met Captain Blackheart and his raiders. M'aiq can think of a better word to describe them.""

Khenarthi's Roost: North of Bolga's Hunting Camp.
          • MaiqDominIKhenarthi_zps6594c5e2.png

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

Auridon: Between the Skyshard and the Isle of Contemplation, Smuggler's Cove and hidden in the ruins on the beach south of Soulfire Plateau.
            1. MaiqDominIIAuridonb_zpsfe935f7d.png
            2. MaiqDominIIAuridona_zps43883643.png
            3. MaiqDominIIAuridonc_zpsd509c199.png

"M'aiq was soul-trapped, once. A mad Elf tried to bind him to a stone !"

Grahtwood: East of the Ossuary Wayshrine, down the hill side, on the way to the Scuttle Pit solo dungeon and on the edge of the cliff on the right of the Tower Mundus Stone.
              1. MaiqDominIIGrahtwoodb_zpse6c08af3.png
              2. MaiqDominIIGrahtwooda_zps9f882b15.png

"Why the need for embassies ? M'aiq thinks all are embassadors, wherever they go."

Greenshade: Echo Pond, by the water.
                1. MaiqDominIVGreenshadea_zps7be7354e.png
                2. MaiqDominIVGreenshadeb_zps13fb6bf3.png

"Why should M'aiq stay off the grass ? He always steps lightly."

Malabal Tor: Next to the shack north of Starwalk Cavern, and right between Ouze and Valeguard.
                  1. MaiqDominIVMalabalTor_zps20960af1.png/spoiler]
                  2. MaiqDominIVMalabalTorb_zpsd6798ad9.png

"Wood Orcs are Orcs who live in the wood, yes ? If they were made of wood, M'aiq thinks they'd stop using torches."

Reaper's March: South of Researcher's Camp, down the hillside, and above Dawnmead Ruin Camp.
                    1. MaiqDominVReapersMarchb_zps4029c427.png
                    2. MaiqDominVReapersMarcha_zpsf9fb31c8.png/spoiler]

"Khajiit tells M'aiq he is unlike most Khajiit. M'aiq tells Khajiit he is most like M'aiq. Then, we eat moon-sugar."

Edited by Usara on July 19, 2014 1:41PM
                    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
                    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
                    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
                    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
                    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
                    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
                    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
                    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
                    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
                    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
                    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
                  • Emmeraldasb14_ESO
                    Does M'aiq disappear after interactions? I looked for him in Glenumbra but he was not there.
                  • Beerbong_Ginn
                    Beerbong_Ginn
                    ✭✭✭
                    I also saw him in Stonefalls. He said something like:

M'aiq asked an Argonian if he could breathe underwater. The Argonian asked if M'aiq could see in the dark. M'aiq did not understand the question.
                    Edited by Beerbong_Ginn on May 5, 2014 4:46PM
                    Helvius Inebriato - Imperial Dragonknight, Ebonheart Pact
                    Belladonna Faleri - Imperial Sorcerer, Aldmeri Dominion
                    Drinks-under-tables - Argonian Templar, Daggerfall Covenant
                    Koh'rona gra-Beerchugger - Orc Nightblade, Daggerfall Covenant
                    The Beerwench - Nord Warden, Ebonheart Pact
                    Ican Hazbeer - Khajiit Sorcerer, Ebonheart Pact
                    Yukan Hazbeer - Khajiit Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
                    Mama'Emeritus - Dunmer Dragonknight, Ebonheart Pact
                    Mama'Meretrix - Dunmer Sorcerer, Ebonheart Pact
                    Mama'Ignitus - Dunmer Templar, Ebonheart Pact
                    Mama'Obscurus - Dunmer Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
                    Faeliinyth - Bosmer Warden, Ebonheart Pact
                    Byress Ginerva - Breton Warden, Ebonheart Pact
                    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/beerbong_ginn Twitter: @BeerbongGinn
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    Does M'aiq disappear after interactions? I looked for him in Glenumbra but he was not there.

He does after afer one/two minutes if nobody's around.

Edited by Usara on May 5, 2014 7:11PM
                    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
                    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
                  • highrisedrifter
                    highrisedrifter
                    ✭✭✭
                    Found him in Reaper's March, just south of Grimwatch wayshrine.

Screenshot_20140502_092056.png
                    Edited by highrisedrifter on May 6, 2014 9:20AM
                  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
                    Ran into him at Faldar's Tooth near the water in The Rift.
                  • CoUsT
                    CoUsT
                    ✭✭✭
                    Bal Foyen is kinda tricky.

You need to see Netches to see M'aiq.

kjFYH9Y.jpg

Now I don't see M'aiq and Netches:

woQ93BE.jpg

And now he despawned:

kal0QD0.jpg

And I needed to enter that Overlook point 25 times. He randomly spawn when you enter it.

KgBoxh5.jpg
                  • Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    Rivenspire: On the island north of the crafting station of Vaewend Ede. Took me forever to find him here...

• CoUsT
                    CoUsT
                    ✭✭✭
                    Usara wrote: »
                    Rivenspire: On the island north of the crafting station of Vaewend Ede. Took me forever to find him here...

There is info on the web about this location. :P

I also created big list of all known (by me) locations of M'aiq.
                    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/95054/m-aiq-s-words-of-wisdom-achievement-locations-of-m-aiq-in-every-zone

Only two zones missing atm.
                  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
                    I saw him a 2nd time in The Rift just NW of Smokefrost Vigil, up the stairs at the end of the road.
                  • Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    CoUsT wrote: »
                    There is info on the web about this location. :P

I usually try to find him on my own, and if he's still missing when I'm done with the quest and the Golden Palms/Bandit/Flame achiev, only then do I look for info on the net. I found nothing on the Rivenspire location. And since your post didn't exist a few hours ago... ;)

I always search every nook and cranny of a zone before leaving it (except Coldharbour that was getting on my nerves) so as a VR5, I can only update as I go along with the quests and exploration.

• CoUsT
                    CoUsT
                    ✭✭✭
                    This is not related to M'aiq achievement, so it's kinda offtop.

@Usara, so you are searching for Golden Palms/Bandit/Flame achievements too! Can you confirm some of locations on this website?
                    http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/golden-palms-locations-achievement-guide/

Maybe you found and remember locations for that achievements on missing zones (Grahtwood, Malabal Tor, Reaper's March)?

I have currently ~6170 achievement points. If you need something, you can ask me if you want. Already finished all dungeon-achievements, all quests, all skyshards and I need only 8 lorebooks to finish my collection.
                  • Gexy
                    Gexy
                    ✭✭✭
                    CoUsT wrote: »
                    This is not related to M'aiq achievement, so it's kinda offtop.

@Usara, so you are searching for Golden Palms/Bandit/Flame achievements too! Can you confirm some of locations on this website?
                    http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/golden-palms-locations-achievement-guide/

Maybe you found and remember locations for that achievements on missing zones (Grahtwood, Malabal Tor, Reaper's March)?

I have currently ~6170 achievement points. If you need something, you can ask me if you want. Already finished all dungeon-achievements, all quests, all skyshards and I need only 8 lorebooks to finish my collection.

hey, maybe you dont know but "golden palms" share same locations with "a bandit heart" achievement and "keeper of the flame" when you go at one of these points you may find one of these 3

• CoUsT
                    CoUsT
                    ✭✭✭
                    Sure, I know that. Sad thing - it's random and NPC spawn very rarely. You can also meet one NPC few times before other NPC spawn here. :(
                  • Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    Ah I've found them in all zone I visited, but as I said, I'm a VR5 Ebonheart Pact player, so I've not acces yet to the Dominion ! I'm just begining Alik'r Desert.
                    I screened every location I've found so I can add the ones I have.
                    Edited by Usara on May 9, 2014 12:14PM

• Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    I finally sorted my screens so I added two other locations to the list, one in Shadowfen and one in the Rift.

Shadowfen: Down the road going south from the Graceful Dominator.

The Rift: North-western lake border of Faldar's Tooth dungeon.
                    Edited by Usara on May 9, 2014 3:36PM

• Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    Alik'r Desert: Easterly Aerie. Thanks @CoUsT for the location :)

• shiva7663
                    shiva7663
                    ✭✭✭
                    I figure M'aiq is named in tribute to Michael Kirkbride.
                  • isengrimb16_ESO
                    isengrimb16_ESO
                    ✭✭✭✭✭
                    shiva7663 wrote: »
                    I figure M'aiq is named in tribute to Michael Kirkbride.

I was thinking it was a play on Eek! the Cat, but I can't remember when that cartoon was around.

• Usara
                    Usara
                    ✭✭✭✭
                    Auridon: Near the Skyshard of the Isle of Contemplation, and on the docks of Smuggler's Cove.

Grahtwood: West of the Tower Mundus Stone, on the edge of the cliff.

Greeshade: By the water at Echo Pond.