Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Too much XP need a way of disabling it

Ojustaboo
Ojustaboo
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all, apologies that this isn't the proper section, i cant find any section that is suitable for a general discussion/suggestion. I have given in game feedback, just wondered what other peoples views are.

I'm the sort of player that enjoys a bit of everything but am in zero hurry to get to end game. I will enjoy endgame when I do get there though.

I enjoy PvP now and again, I might spend a couple of nights simply going around gathering crafting mats and levelling my crafting, sometimes I want to work through the quests.

However, I've hit a little problem.

I'm level 23 and have only recently started Stormhaven, some of the quests are grey before I even start, many of the others I can stand there and spam the left mouse button ignoring bothering to block or move etc.

I like challenging content, I don't like faceroll content.

I thought the idea was that we could play this game as we liked, if we liked exploring, reading all the books etc and slowly levelling, we could do so. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

I seem to be levelling far too quick just running around collecting mats and killing any mobs that attack me.

I have now had to stop opening any locked treasure chests I come across while gathering mats as these give XP too.

I was level 21 when I did the second part of the mages guild quest, if memory serves me right, it was meant for level 15? Even if I'm wrong, I was still too high and it spoilt all the fun for me.

I have level 16 to 21 quests for Stormhaven and I've already gone from level 21 to half of level 23 by killing mobs that attack me as I did the other Stormhaven quests. I will be level 24 before too long and I will still have not finished this area.

I end up with a choice, do I skip entire areas except for the main quest, or am I always overpowered.

I really wish there was a way of disabling XP completely so that I could catch up to the correct questing level and also use it when I'm gathering crafting mats, fishing etc.

As for PvP, I've only run two PvP evenings with my guild, it's not like I have PvP'd all the time and raised my level that way. However we are scheduling one a week for the guild and while I want to take part, I don't want to outlevel any more than I already am doing.

I'm wearing crap gear too, I don't really expect this early on to have to be wearing much lower level gear/weapons in order to find it slightly challenging.

One of the main reasons I left my last game and came to this one is because my previous one had become such a faceroll game, and I wanted something that would offer me challenging content. I don't want to be told it's challenging at later levels, I want my journey to end level to be a fun challenging experience too.

It's not that the levels are set wrong, it's just that there are too many ways of gaining XP, I run into locked chests all the time when I'm gathering mats, having to purposely not open them is a little disappointing.

Wondered if anyone else felt the same or if it's just me?

Edited by Ojustaboo on April 22, 2014 9:45PM
  • scneedl_ESO
    I hear ya! An xp slider or some other way to level lock would be great.
  • scneedl_ESO
    Sorry double post
    Edited by scneedl_ESO on April 22, 2014 9:53PM
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies that this isn't the proper section, i cant find any section that is suitable for a general discussion/suggestion. I have given in game feedback, just wondered what other peoples views are.

I'm the sort of player that enjoys a bit of everything but am in zero hurry to get to end game. I will enjoy endgame when I do get there though.

I enjoy PvP now and again, I might spend a couple of nights simply going around gathering crafting mats and levelling my crafting, sometimes I want to work through the quests.

However, I've hit a little problem.

I'm level 23 and have only recently started Stormhaven, some of the quests are grey before I even start, many of the others I can stand there and spam the left mouse button ignoring bothering to block or move etc.

I like challenging content, I don't like faceroll content.

I thought the idea was that we could play this game as we liked, if we liked exploring, reading all the books etc and slowly levelling, we could do so. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

I seem to be levelling far too quick just running around collecting mats and killing any mobs that attack me.

I have now had to stop opening any locked treasure chests I come across while gathering mats as these give XP too.

I was level 21 when I did the second part of the mages guild quest, if memory serves me right, it was meant for level 15? Even if I'm wrong, I was still too high and it spoilt all the fun for me.

I have level 16 to 21 quests for Stormhaven and I've already gone from level 21 to half of level 23 by killing mobs that attack me as I did the other Stormhaven quests. I will be level 24 before too long and I will still have not finished this area.

I end up with a choice, do I skip entire areas except for the main quest, or am I always overpowered.

I really wish there was a way of disabling XP completely so that I could catch up to the correct questing level and also use it when I'm gathering crafting mats, fishing etc.

As for PvP, I've only run two PvP evenings with my guild, it's not like I have PvP'd all the time and raised my level that way. However we are scheduling one a week for the guild and while I want to take part, I don't want to outlevel any more than I already am doing.

I'm wearing crap gear too, I don't really expect this early on to have to be wearing much lower level gear/weapons in order to find it slightly challenging.

One of the main reasons I left my last game and came to this one is because my previous one had become such a faceroll game, and I wanted something that would offer me challenging content. I don't want to be told it's challenging at later levels, I want my journey to end level to be a fun challenging experience too.

It's not that the levels are set wrong, it's just that there are too many ways of gaining XP, I run into locked chests all the time when I'm gathering mats, having to purposely not open them is a little disappointing.

Wondered if anyone else felt the same or if it's just me?

Lol
    Brave New World.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this, levelling is way too quick in this game and yet people complain about slow levelling lol
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    People don't complain about slow leveling, but rather the lack of alternative ways to level other than quest grinding.
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    I support this, levelling is way too quick in this game and yet people complain about slow levelling lol

Define too fast. I think I have 40 or more hours in and am only to level 23. I have no problem with only being level 23. I think it is a fine pace and will put me close to the original statement from ZOS that there is about 100 to 120 hours of content per faction. I can't imagine I would want it any slower though.
  • felixgamingx1
    felixgamingx1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea too fast I should reach end game before my free month ends I don't think extra content gonna keep up
  • crusabella
    crusabella
    ✭✭
    Take off your gear.Bam hard again.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too fast = being able to outlevel content without grinding for exp
    When I finished shadowfen (25-30 zone) I was lvl 37, and I only played all the content there without grinding for exp.
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    Too fast = being able to outlevel content without grinding for exp
    When I finished shadowfen (25-30 zone) I was lvl 37, and I only played all the content there without grinding for exp.

What's strange is that so many people are finding that not to be the case, myself included. I was two levels below the starting quests in Greenshade when I got there. I had done all skyshards and had the acheivements for quests in every zone.

So the question I have is where is all this content and exp that I must have missed? Maybe it is different in every faction.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    No idea, I have yet to experience the problem of running out of content for my level or below.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    I'm VR1 and still doing the coldharbor quests. I have done almost no mob grinding whatsoever. So unless looting all those chests is the culprit this game awards exp too easily in the open world.
  • Aaron_Spellcaster
    Solution, dont do the grey quest, skip to harder stuff :) Unless its important for lore progress. I doubt there will be less ways to lvl in the future..
    Terran is a term used to refer to a hypothetical progenitor race that colonized New Eden prior to the collapse of the EVE Gate. Little is known about this race, though they left numerous artifacts across the cluster, including old stargates and the EVE Gate itself.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    4days, 17 hrs, 16 minutes, 59 seconds -- And im still level 24. Yall play to fast :P. Doesnt anybody enjoy the scenery? the loot, the lore?
    Edited by Reignskream on April 22, 2014 10:19PM
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solution, dont do the grey quest, skip to harder stuff :) Unless its important for lore progress. I doubt there will be less ways to lvl in the future..
    Thats exactly what we dont want to do... Skipping content.
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm VR1 and still doing the coldharbor quests. I have done almost no mob grinding whatsoever. So unless looting all those chests is the culprit this game awards exp too easily in the open world.
    lets talk again in 2-3 lvls :)

• george.smithb16_ESO
    I'm with you... I stop to smell the roses. Unfortunately fast leveling has been with us since WoW and is here to stay. Too many impatient folks want to "beat" a game instead of enjoy it, or think the only way to enjoy it is with end game content.

Then of course they rush to end game and complain they are bored. So not much Zenimax can do about it.

It would be interesting though if they implimented an XP slider and allowed tuning it down, how many would use it. =)
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run into this as well. Wanting to explore each area as well as do all the quests and pvp just doesn't seem to level up properly. It seemed ok up until aobut lvl 15 but now it seems like I always end up having to skip entire sections/quests because they are just too low level to even bother with.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I heard it gets super grindy in the later VR's which I'm not looking forward to. But 1-50 is a joke with regards to exp. So there's some disconnect in how they're handling the spread.
  • kamohs212eb17_ESO
    kamohs212eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I play since first day of early access and today i get lvl30. Dunno what TS talking about... Anyway, its too late for changing something.
  • george.smithb16_ESO
    I play since first day of early access and today i get lvl30. Dunno what TS talking about... Anyway, its too late for changing something.

LOL yes, because we all know that everything is set in stone and can never be changed... =)

• curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dolenz wrote: »
    What's strange is that so many people are finding that not to be the case, myself included. I was two levels below the starting quests in Greenshade when I got there. I had done all skyshards and had the acheivements for quests in every zone.

So the question I have is where is all this content and exp that I must have missed? Maybe it is different in every faction.

Yes you have missed stuff. Just because the markers on your map are all white doesn't mean you have done ALL the quests in the zone. There are a lot of quests that you will find if you just wander out in the world, which aren't associated with any map marker, and won't make any visual completion mark on your map when they are done. I just started in Greenshade, at level 27 - well above the starting quests for that zone. I don't grind mobs, just quest and explore.
  • kamohs212eb17_ESO
    kamohs212eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. I mean it'll be too unfair for new folks if they will be leveling in other way than prevous. Most of MMO put 50-60% of XP in quest rewards. Even in WoW MoP fastest way to get lvl90 is questing, not happy train through dungeons with 4 guys each can kill boss in 5 sec.

They could set leveling system as in C9 (all maps except starting ones was blocked untill 50% of players get level cap, than they opened 21-30, 31-40, 41-50... and leveling takes MONTHS). So if they uses this way they cound concentrate their ultimate admin powers to fix areas one by one and prepare next ones step by step. But they put game "as is" and hey - tons of bugs even in starting areas, first lvl50 on 2nd day of early access etc.
  • rwood0604_ESO
    rwood0604_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lvl 37 with over 4 days of play time on it so leveling to fast is not a problem, you must be exploring well past your quest area to be at such a lvl in a low lvl zone and at what point through lvling so high did you stop to think oh I should do my quests now knowing full well you would out lvl them if you didn't? i mean you know that chest farming gives exp and I understand wanting to farm the crafting mats to refine for items but you can do that just fine as you quest and wouldnt have the problem you are facing now, just seems more like poor management and yes everyone bring up the fact "you said we can play how we want"and YOU CAN doesn't mean that how you choose to play wont effect the gameplay in anyway I mean really? So many sheep
  • rwood0604_ESO
    rwood0604_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I mean no one is stopping you for playing how you want.If you want to explore, can you not explore while you are out questing? or maybe quest first to get them done before you out lvl them and then explore what you missed after the quest is over? But I will agree with you on the fact you asked for a lvl lock out instead of nerfing the exp that way people how think it is fine or already slow now wont get more upset and for people who think they lvl too fast can enjoy not lvling when they choose so.
  • TyrelionPrime
    Dolenz wrote: »

Yes you have missed stuff. Just because the markers on your map are all white doesn't mean you have done ALL the quests in the zone. There are a lot of quests that you will find if you just wander out in the world, which aren't associated with any map marker, and won't make any visual completion mark on your map when they are done. I just started in Greenshade, at level 27 - well above the starting quests for that zone. I don't grind mobs, just quest and explore.

very true. Did a comparison with another player recently. He couldn't believe I had been able to get about 5 levels higher than he was while we were in the same zone, on the same quests (in fact that is how we met and ended up talking).
    He also claimed to have done every quest in every previous zone as all his map markers had turned white and he got the achievement for each zone...
    Until we compared the questing achievement... and I had obviously done a lot more quests than he had.
    Some people just do not explore every corner of the world and only go to the places the quests take them.

To each his or her own play style, of course, yet I fully agree that levelling is overly fast when you are exploring every freaking rock and tree you run into, do every single quest you encounter and spend hours simply exploring, gathering crafting resources and taking that one perfect screenshot... Which I do all too often.
    Enjoy the journey, not the destination...
  • rwood0604_ESO
    rwood0604_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes the chests give a set percentage of your lvl no matter the lvl or zone I have been in even as a lvl 30 in the started island chests there give me 1% of my lvl when opening them so I think that chest is how most of you are so over lvled in the quest, because i have 2 characters both in same faction and i play them the same way except only one i open tons of chests on and he seems to be 5 lvls high than my other toon that is in the same area doing the same quests.

• maurotdo
    maurotdo
    ✭✭
    I find leveling 20-30 much faster than previous levels. My guess is that Zeni put an undocumented change in their patches where they sped up exp progression, making people outlevel zones as originally NOT intended.

If they felt this urge after 3 weeks the game is out... well hope they produce new content faster than light.
  • rwood0604_ESO
    rwood0604_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Craglorn will be out soon and trust me it will be hard so im sure people will enjoy the challenge and it will keep them busy for a while atleast a week for elite players
  • Gulgir
    Gulgir
    2 days 16 hrs 48 mins and i am level 31 in Alik'r. I am having trouble there now in killing mobs and actually continue. So i have to go back to Rivenspire and explore a little more even though i have the quest achievement there.
    No complaint from my side.
    www.twitch.tv/gulgir
    Redguard Dragonknight