The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

how is the damage from unstable/volatile familliar calculated: spell damage or regular damage?

99LukeKBub17_ESO
title says it all. Think: the lightning that the familiar shoots. I'm looking for a 100% factual answer, not an answer that you ASSUME, but the answer that you KNOW. This plays an integral part of my build, and I need to know for sure, but I can't find it anywhere online. Guess I'd also like to know about the lightning that the twilight launches as well.

Thanks ahead of time

Perhaps i could get an answer from a staff member to be sure about this one.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Think about it logically. The familiar is a spell thats casting a spell. They arent wielding a weapon. The familiar isnt a weapon ability

Spell.
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure which it is, or if it is even one of those; its entirely possible that the summons have their own scaling templates.
    The Psijic Order
  • 99LukeKBub17_ESO
    Think about it logically. The familiar is a spell thats casting a spell. They arent wielding a weapon. The familiar isnt a weapon ability

Spell.

does this mean that the lightning launched from a destruction staff isn't calculated as weapon-damage but as spell damage? Im pretty sure its weapon damage (not positive) but this leads me to believe that just because its a magic looking attack doesn't mean that it will be computed as spell-damage

but yeah, the fact that it's a spell that I cast makes me believe that it's calculated as spell damage... but I'm not 100% sure... and as I said this will play a huge rule in my build and is the deciding factor on some of my morphs that I'm holding back on right now... so i need to be 100% sure
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar to its explosion, the volatile familiar's basic attacks scale based on the caster's maximum Magicka.
    Edited by ZOS_AmeliaR on April 23, 2014 8:55PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Rajani Isa
    Similar to its explosion, the volatile familiar's basic attacks scale based on the caster's maximum magicka.

Base, Altered, or Altered but not including anything putting a hold on a portion of your magicka like the Familiar ability itself?

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌ Is there some sort of calculator for this? Also, can we get a solid answer on what attributes power up which lines? I'm told that your Stamina is what determines your staff damage (light and heavy attacks only), and your Magika is what determines your skills, regardless of class and what attribute it drains. Is this true? We need answers, please!
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rajani Isa wrote: »
    Base, Altered, or Altered but not including anything putting a hold on a portion of your magicka like the Familiar ability itself?
    It's based on maximum Magicka including all buffs and gear. The familiar's damage isn't reduced by abilities that reserve a portion of your Magicka pool (e.g. Magelight or summoning the familiar itself). Hope this helps clarify!
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • JJDrakken
    JJDrakken
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌ Is there some sort of calculator for this? Also, can we get a solid answer on what attributes power up which lines? I'm told that your Stamina is what determines your staff damage (light and heavy attacks only), and your Magika is what determines your skills, regardless of class and what attribute it drains. Is this true? We need answers, please!

That would be *** stupid if Stamina determines Resto/Destro Staff dmg. It should be mana, since all it's abilities are mana based.

While the other stamina weapons abilities are based on Stamina as well as the actual weapon dmg itself.
    Leader of Oblivion Crisis. Bunch of Daedric Worshiping MF's. We'll Bang Ok.
  • 99LukeKBub17_ESO
    Similar to its explosion, the volatile familiar's basic attacks scale based on the caster's maximum Magicka.

Thank you so much for the response! But is this attack registered with spell damage or regular damage? Te reason being is my current character was going to focus on lowering my opponents spell resistance to increase the damage by summons.

---edit---
    Also what is the percentage of the users magicka that one basic lightning attack from a familiar does. In the spell description it says that the familiar does 15% damage" which is incredibly vague.
    Edited by 99LukeKBub17_ESO on April 23, 2014 9:14PM
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for the response! But is this attack registered with spell damage or regular damage? Te reason being is my current character was going to focus on lowering my opponents spell resistance to increase the damage by summons.
    He clearly stated "maximum Magicka". So magical damage bonuses don't apply. Use "add X Magicka" instead.

With that said, it's a spell.
    Edited by Gix on April 23, 2014 9:13PM
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basic weapon attacks (light and heavy), regardless of weapon, are based on Stamina. Abilities will indicate in their tooltip what the cost is, and it will vary from one ability to another. Damage rendered by those are not necessarily based on cost. For instance, damage of spells increases based on maximum Magicka as well as spell damage, while weapon abilities are based on maximum Stamina and weapon damage.
    Staff Post
  • 99LukeKBub17_ESO
    Gix wrote: »

He clearly stated "maximum Magicka". So magical damage bonuses don't apply. Use "add X Magicka" instead.

But certain morphs allow me to lower my opponents spell resistance. I'd like to know if this will affect the damage my summons do. I'm curious what negative affect I can put on an opponent that will cause y summons to do more damage. Aside from weakness to lightning
    Edited by 99LukeKBub17_ESO on April 23, 2014 9:20PM
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Basic weapon attacks (light and heavy), regardless of weapon, are based on Stamina.

Right.

But this part right here is silly.

Staff damage should be based on Magicka just like its abilities are.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Some damage is also based on max health, like the burn damage on Force Shock.
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mystborn did some nice testing on stats and their effects, this might interest you:

• Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    Is there actually a theorycrafting site, that can provide the neccesary information?
    and @ZOS_AmeliaR‌
    The staff working in the forums has different purposes i suppose?
    So are you responsible for our questions to game mechanics and stats, and perhaps abbilitys and so on?
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Amdirial
    Amdirial
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌ if I am understanding your post then my Restoration Staff depends on my stamina for healing? not my Magicka or Spell Damage / Magic Damage ? Can I get some confirmation on this please
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Basic weapon attacks (light and heavy), regardless of weapon, are based on Stamina. Abilities will indicate in their tooltip what the cost is, and it will vary from one ability to another. Damage rendered by those are not necessarily based on cost. For instance, damage of spells increases based on maximum Magicka as well as spell damage, while weapon abilities are based on maximum Stamina and weapon damage.

So, for a sorc, a crystal blast will be based off my maximum Magicka, but my destruction staff skill like wall of elements is based of maximum Stamina, correct?
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    While I understand that the light and heavy weapon attacks are based on stamina, is there anyway to know how much damage increase does stamina give to them(light and heavy attacks) as the weapon damage shown only factor in the damage of the weapon equipped?
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So, for a sorc, a crystal blast will be based off my maximum Magicka, but my destruction staff skill like wall of elements is based of maximum Stamina, correct?

@Kyosji‌

Wrong. Wall of Elements will scale with maximum magicka. Your D-staff light and heavy attacks will scale with Stamina.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭

But certain morphs allow me to lower my opponents spell resistance. I'd like to know if this will affect the damage my summons do. I'm curious what negative affect I can put on an opponent that will cause y summons to do more damage. Aside from weakness to lightning
    Because the familiar is a spellcaster, he deals magical damage. You can only boost his damage output by increase your magicka pool, but you can certainly increase it's effectiveness by decreasing your opponent's spell resistance.
  • 99LukeKBub17_ESO

Because the familiar is a spellcaster, he deals magical damage. You can only boost his damage output by increase your magicka pool, but you can certainly increase it's effectiveness by decreasing your opponent's spell resistance.

Thank you so much!! This, if correct, was the type of answer I've been looking for
  • Grithok
    Grithok
    ✭✭

The dragon knight absorb spell scales off of max health.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »

@Kyosji‌

Wrong. Wall of Elements will scale with maximum magicka. Your D-staff light and heavy attacks will scale with Stamina.

Yes, but Wall of Elements IS a Weapon Ability, so by AmeliaRs example, should be based on Stamina.. That's why I am asking for clarification from someone that would have a definite answer.

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌

Don't leave us hanging here, please! :(
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌

Don't leave us hanging here, please! :(

Yes, please, or have you just commented on this as a normal user and we are forced to search our way alone in the darkness, to find the secret hidden holy numbers of theorycrafting after we found out where to look for them?

Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amdirial wrote: »
    @ZOS_AmeliaR‌ if I am understanding your post then my Restoration Staff depends on my stamina for healing? not my Magicka or Spell Damage / Magic Damage ? Can I get some confirmation on this please

For all weapons, light and heavy attack damage scales based on Max Stamina and the weapon damage stat.

Abilities that come from weapon skill lines scale their damage/healing based on the weapon damage stat; abilities that come from non-weapon skill lines scale their damage/healing based on the Spell Damage stat. So, for example, your “Crystal Shard” spell causes more damage when you equip a ring that buffs Spell Damage and your “Grand Healing” ability heals for more when you upgrade your restoration staff.

Additionally, abilities that cost Magicka scale their damage/healing based of the Max Magicka stat; abilities that cost Stamina scale their damage/healing based off the Max Stamina stat. So, for example, the “Silver Bolts” ability causes more damage when you spend a point in Stamina and the “Healing Ritual” ability heals for more when you spend a point in Magicka.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grithok wrote: »
    That's correct. Scaling based on Max Stamina only applies to damage and healing values. Things like duration, armor increases, etc., often scale in other ways (for instance, the example you provided). Hope this helps clarify!
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ties into what's clarified a couple posts above. Both of these spells consume Magicka, so they both scale up in damage with increases to Max Magicka. Apologies if previous posts about this were confusing.
    Staff Post
  • Gunavar
    Gunavar
    ✭✭✭
    Grithok wrote: »
    That's correct. Scaling based on Max Stamina only applies to damage and healing values. Things like duration, armor increases, etc., often scale in other ways (for instance, the example you provided). Hope this helps clarify!

It really, really doesn't help clarify.

There should be indicators in game of how something scales so we aren't having to play "guess the stat that matters."

Edited by Gunavar on April 25, 2014 6:42PM