The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to Win at TESO?

Hawke
Hawke
✭✭✭✭
I will tell you how. You have to learn how to fight.

There are two techniques that you must employ to be successful in Tamriel.

Blocking and Interrupting.

Blocking is used to not take as much damage and to control your opponent. When there are white lines coming from your opponent, this is a power attack. Press and hold the right mouse button until the attack hits you. Then the enemy will be disoriented and you follow up with a power attack (holding down the left mouse button).

Interrupt is used to stop someone from doing a charged attack (channeled ability) and the visual queue are red lines coming from your opponent. Hold down the right mouse button and the tap the left mouse button. This will disorientate your opponent and you can follow up with a power attack to knock em down and do more damage.

When people were having trouble with Doshia (first boss in the Fighter Guild quest line) people were talking about their builds being all wrong. Certain classes had an edge over other classes.

Well that is just total crap, and an excuse.

What I did was take a video of a Nord Sorcerer with no skill points used (except one for each skill set) and no passives, no attribute points and all crafted equipment with no bonuses on em and the Restoration staff going toe to toe with her.

The reason is to show everyone that if you can master the two techniques above you can take just about anything on.

This is not a boast, just trying to help others understand how combat works in TESO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNb0qv6De_M
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an artesian well on my property and the water pressure is lowsy. Anything I can do?
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
    Options
  • Aylio
    Aylio
    Thanks for showing this. Doshia is only hard if you are not paying attention and you just proved this.
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I have an artesian well on my property and the water pressure is lowsy. Anything I can do?

What?
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Aylio thank you. As long as it helps others to understand the game and that it is not like the other games out there.

Granted my voice is not the most epic in the world, but hopefully the point gets across.
    Options
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Hawke, you get my vote for Forum Emperor. That was the best howto I have ever seen. Thank you for making that. I thought I knew something about the block/interrupt. I see I don't and need much more practice.

The Sidekick Order
    Options
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you Hawke from SWG? ;)

Also, it's AMAZING how many people don't understand the visual queues for charged attacks and AoE attacks. I mean, this game probably has the most clear indicators of any game I've ever played.
    Options
  • Morvoldo
    Morvoldo
    ✭✭
    very Nice Hawke thank you, tho i am a sorcerer i didnt have any trouble with Doshia but many did but as at that time i was Duel weild i actually forgot to do the blocking and interupting, mostly used my spells with a couple of blood craze hits, but did take me a a while (not dying just missed orbs and interupts :)
    thanks loads very insightfull
    Options
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭

First get yourself a holding tank, then inline between your tank and you main water line add a pressure tank. Just make sure your GPM is high enough to suppy the flow; or have a bigger holding tank.

Edited by Inactive Account on April 18, 2014 9:35PM
    Options
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent video. Too many people are bashing the combat in this game without really understanding it; it's actually a lot of fun.
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dolmen Hmmm Forum Emperor... That title will suit me fine. LOL! Only kidding. But I appreciate the props.

@crush83 I was Jaeson Hawke in SWG yes. Intrepid server.

@mr_s_fisherb16_ESO2 Thank you. I just hope folks will realize that classes have nothing to do with combat , other than adding flavor. Anyone can be accomplished as long as they understand the combat system.

@Melian This is most appreciated, and wish others would listen as well. I think they would find the game much more enjoyable.

Also, when you are in Cyrodiil, doing PvP and you are trying hit someone with crystal shards and they come up and interrupt you and you cannot move... now you understand why that is, rather than giving up on the game.

At least I hope.
    Options
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    Excellent video. Too many people are bashing the combat in this game without really understanding it; it's actually a lot of fun.

Once people realize that Blocking and Interrupts are MUST use skills, combat becomes very fun.
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @nobertpaulb16_ESO This is very true.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another tip is to look for red shapes on the ground (rectangles, circles, triangles, etc.). Roll or run or whatever to get out of the red shape. Some baddie is about to flood that area with damage.
    Options
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while I certainly appreciate the value of block and interrupt, neither of those were my *personal* issues with the Doshia battle. It was *hitting* those damn orbs...

I've heard people complain about lag, and about targeting, but whatever it was, I sometimes spent 10 solid minutes fighting Doshia - she couldn't kill me, but I had the hardest time in the world tracking down all 4 orbs and killing them before one of them could reach her - I would get down to the last 2, and then for whatever reason my blows just wouldn't connect with one of them, and it would reach her, nearly healing her full up

I did that over and over and over for about half an hour, absolutely CONVINCED that I must be missing some third component of the battle...and then, I finally just played a little more conservatively with the orbs, and got lucky and managed to intercept them a bit more accurately than I had been

this was dual wielding night blade, to be fair - and daggerfall covenant (glenumbra) which I understand has a smaller combat arena for the battle than the other zones (at least, I've heard people mentioning things along those lines) but for my own part, my sole issue with Doshia was hit registration on those damnable orbs.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
    Options
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Or...make a mage...I'm kicking butt with a mage right now, and I never usually role a mage...She's my fave :)
    Asira Avalis - Mage
    Options
  • jdandrews108b14_ESO
    I would like to point out that color blind players are having difficulty with this. I argued with my friend for 20 minutes the other day about blocking/interrupt mechanics until I was able to prove to him that the enemies are in fact fact glowing red (he can't see shades of red/green).

This also affects AoE attacks which create a red area on the ground.

Can we get a color picker for these notifications?
    Options
  • wizzerd_lg_ESO
    Great video, thanks for putting that up. I have a lot of lag issues (my comp and bandwidth are both sub-par), but seeing how that battle should go, hopefully I'll be able to compensate better now.
    Options
  • JunkyardWolf
    JunkyardWolf
    ✭✭
    Well done Sir! ty!
    Options
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an artesian well on my property.
    I do also!

Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, but remember, the class and weapon does not matter. I mean, I used a restoration staff for crying out loud. It's all with the techniques. Now for later bosses this is different of course, you will need your abilities and powers.

As far as the lag I got hit with. I have FIOS. Speetest has me at 5 ping and around 150mb/s down and 70mb/s up 3448920638.png

I still am affected by the lag of the server... Also my machine is top notch as well. So it is definitely the game, and missing can be disastrous.
    Options
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.
    I think the coldharbour tutorial could be a little clearer on explaining blocking/interrupting.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
    Options
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Inversus the coldharbour tutorial is adequate, but it does need to emphasize more on "You have to master these techniques" Because it is used not only in PvE but PvP as well.

Best I can do is provide an awareness to the public.
    Options
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    Wait! I saved the king in Daggerfall already. I thought I beat the game! :wink:

Thanks for sharing that - I didn't even realize the visual queues on the mobs until playing a while.

White lines = big melee attack incoming and you need to block - then immediately follow up with a Basic Heavy attack to knock them down.

Red lines = Big casted spell incoming and you need to interrupt (bash) them - then quickly follow up with a basic Heavy attack to knock them down.

Makes a huge difference and the combat more engaging.

Thanks again for the share!
    Edited by Kyotee0071 on April 19, 2014 2:49PM
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

Options
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    idk how many times I have said this exact thing, maybe your video will help it stick...
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
    Options
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Hawke - today I made up a standard (white) heavy armor set, sword and board, all L12 for my L12 DK. Went in and fought her. Beat her. Didn't use my bar at all other than to use Extended Chain to get things rolling. I died a few times because I do need more practice. But I did beat her using nothing more than block/interrupt and the sword.

So again, thanks for reminding us of how to fight and posting that awesome video.
    The Sidekick Order
    Options
  • Pixie123
    Pixie123
    dolmen wrote: »
    @Hawke, you get my vote for Forum Emperor. That was the best howto I have ever seen. Thank you for making that. I thought I knew something about the block/interrupt. I see I don't and need much more practice.

this, thank you so much for this it will undoubtly help so many players. I also thought i knew about blocking and interrupting and I also find i need more practice :D
    Options
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plot twist

the boss allready got nerfed a few days ago

so even naked i could kill it now LOL
    Options
  • draco_bengali86
    I definitely need to pay more attention. I had previously just been soaking (or attempting to soak) up all the damage. Once I started interrupting her, I didn't even get to see the soul drain/orbs. Just kept hitting till she was dead. Scamps still give me problems though...guess I still need more practice.

Thank you for the great post and video.
    Options
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    @Hawke - today I made up a standard (white) heavy armor set, sword and board, all L12 for my L12 DK. Went in and fought her. Beat her. Didn't use my bar at all other than to use Extended Chain to get things rolling. I died a few times because I do need more practice. But I did beat her using nothing more than block/interrupt and the sword.

So again, thanks for reminding us of how to fight and posting that awesome video.

yeah after she got nerfed...

the boss is phatetic easy now compared a week ago....
    Options
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @‌Hawke
    Very nice video!
    I shared it on Anook.com for new players there: Hope you do not mind ;)
    Edited by Elloa on April 19, 2014 4:25PM
    Options