The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[Spoileralert]The toughest decision in the game - The Mad God's Bargain

Eccentric
Eccentric
✭✭✭
2OCh2AE.jpg
  • buffbcub17_ESO
    Funny, I wouldn't have thought twice about taking the 2 skill points. :wink: Better than a pat on the back and a green item!
  • Eccentric
    Eccentric
    ✭✭✭
    It is a moral choice. Really hurts picking either.
  • Haboom
    Haboom
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be more to it when you save her otherwise it is just too unbalanced.
    "Learn to dodge and block or you won't get healed" -Me
  • AlchemyDevil
    AlchemyDevil
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is no benefit to saving the girl... If I had known there would be no advance quest or benefit to saving her apart from a clear conscience I would have sent her packing. I was hoping that the good moral choice would benefit me in the long run with something other than a thank you but alas, no, the quest line ends and you end up feeling like a right royal dumb@ss for passing on the 2 skill points.
  • Eccentric
    Eccentric
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Alchemy Devil. It would be funny if Zenimax released a patch with content where Velaste discovers something which gives you like 3 skillpoints or 1 extra attribute point, or anything else that might be useful. Then all who agreed to send her away would feel like *** :wink:
  • mandrakethebard_ESO
    I'll confess that I haven't reached this point yet, but if an immoral choice leads to an obviously superior reward of skill points then I'd say that someone made a bit of an error here... unless there's some sicko dev out there who believes that being bad is "cool."

I agree with loading these choices with real consequences, but no item could be worth 2 skill points. This is more like a punishment to heroes... or an encouragement to players to be nasty. I, for one, have never enjoyed entertainments that glorify the lives of those individuals with an odious nature. I'm disappointed to find an event that seems (upon first observation) to reek of such notions in the midst of a game that I quite adore.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeep, this is evil. Pure evil. I love playing the hero, but I'd be stupid if I sacrificed 2 skill points for RP reasons. That said, you've got to admire their guts. Another victory for TES-brand moral ambiguity, I say.
    Edited by MorHawk on April 14, 2014 3:15PM
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Zikai_Enakis
    Zikai_Enakis
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I came across this thread prior to finishing the quest. With my moral compass, I may have saved her.

But after reading their dialogue, Sheo will keep her safe and she wants to go (probably because she's mad). Either way, Sheo and Valaste get what they want. I get what I want. Only Shally gets the shaft, and he still gives you his boon afterward anyway.

Sheo just wants Valaste because out of all the nonsense she'll spout out, perhaps she'll say something worthwhile to him. Meh, why not?
  • Kathleen.Flynn02b14_ESO
    I don't think it's a problem that the rewards are uneven. I think that is what makes it one of the more real moral choices so far in the game. We all know the 'immoral' choices in life are usually the more tempting ones (should I steal this money if I know I'll never be caught, etc). The whole point is that it takes more strength to turn down rewards for what's "right."

With that said, I made all of what I assumed were the 'nice' choices in the game, except this one and one from the end that I won't spoil. My volume wasn't high enough and I initially thought I heard Sheo say he would make her sane by killing her. I was also concerned that the book would be a trick. However, to me Valaste seems like a happy crazy. She wants to go see those butterflies. Some other people from Shivering Isles seemed unhappily crazy. She'll be fine. My conscience is clear.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'll confess that I haven't reached this point yet, but if an immoral choice leads to an obviously superior reward of skill points then I'd say that someone made a bit of an error here... unless there's some sicko dev out there who believes that being bad is "cool."

It fits exactly with whom we are dealing with Sheogorath. It makes it a real decision.
  • memmel17b14_ESO
    memmel17b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I contacted customer support about this decision, directed at if these 2 skill points are entirely lost to our characters based on our decision, and here was their response...

Greetings Adventurer

I can understand your dilemma but have no fear. every character is on the same footing when it comes to skill point every class every race and every alliance by the time they have hit veteran rank 3 will all have the same exact amount of skill point I hope this helps settle your question.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
  • Eccentric
    Eccentric
    ✭✭✭
    I contacted customer support about this decision, directed at if these 2 skill points are entirely lost to our characters based on our decision, and here was their response...

Greetings Adventurer

I can understand your dilemma but have no fear. every character is on the same footing when it comes to skill point every class every race and every alliance by the time they have hit veteran rank 3 will all have the same exact amount of skill point I hope this helps settle your question.

Warm Regards,

Huh, is this really true?
  • memmel17b14_ESO
    memmel17b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Eccentric wrote: »

It's what they told me, so maybe there is a follow up quest or something that will give you 2 skill points if you decided to save her.
  • AlchemyDevil
    AlchemyDevil
    ✭✭✭

It's what they told me, so maybe there is a follow up quest or something that will give you 2 skill points if you decided to save her.

I am VR7, I saved her, and have received no such follow up quest. I am 2 skill points behind a player that decided to send her away.

• memmel17b14_ESO
    memmel17b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven

I am VR7, I saved her, and have received no such follow up quest. I am 2 skill points behind a player that decided to send her away.

I'm still VR2 so I have no idea, if what you're saying is true then the CSR that sent me that was straight up lying lol.

Edited by memmel17b14_ESO on April 18, 2014 3:29PM
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is doing the bidding of Lord Sheogorath not the moral choice? He said it was the right thing to do! He wouldn't lie...
  • Liquidus
    Liquidus
    ✭✭
    I sent her away , not for the points but for her own good.. Early in the chain you see visions of her as a troubled person.. Yes her personality is altered but she is finally happy so I felt good about her moving on to butterflies.
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    Liquidus wrote: »
    I sent her away , not for the points but for her own good.. Early in the chain you see visions of her as a troubled person.. Yes her personality is altered but she is finally happy so I felt good about her moving on to butterflies.

That's what I was thinking, on the Circus of Cheerful Slaughter she shows as troubled, so she may find happiness with Sheo, maybe. But it's not like we are sacrificing her to molag bal.
  • Hellorush
    Hellorush
    ✭✭
    Someone can confirm anything about this “Remembering all the books you have read before” which you recieve if you choose to pass on SP? Is it really a reward for passing on SP?

Does it provide an option in your Journal tab? Does it contain all readable objects, including notes? Is there no other way to make your char “remember” all readen books if you chosed Skillpoints?

Question for those who got a skillpoints: Which books you can see in your Journal tab? Only collections (like dwemer 2/10 and so on.)? You got any SP from Shalindor afterwards?

Question for those who passed on skillpoints: Which books do you see in your Journal tab? Do you see notes or other books which wasn't there before you made a choise against Sheo? Does Shalindor gives 1 skillpoint for the "good" decision?
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you take the skill points, you are a fool.

A deity offers you "power"... with that kind of dramatic flourish... and you actually believe him?

Oh he wanted you to take the tome... he hoped you would take the tome.

I'm so glad I didn't... So very...VERY... glad.

I'm certain we'll be seeing Valaste and Sheogorath in the future.

Well... some of us will. >:)
    Edited by liquid_wolf on April 21, 2014 4:56PM
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I frankly LOVE that there are moral choices. I was a bit put off by the Bal Foyen conclusion (Fort/Docks), because there was NO good choice. I love something that makes me choose IN CHARACTER. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME after all!
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • wilz124
    wilz124

How did you know if you 2 skill point behind from the player sent her away?
    maybe you gain 2 skill points from other quest which other not. no?
  • Jastilus
    Jastilus
    ✭✭
    For me it was the right choice to send her away. She was an incredibly boring person with no friends or real purpose in life. With her intelligence she just needs a little creativity to be great.

So you get rewarded for the good choice, not fpr the obvious one. Fine by me. ;)
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Greetings Adventurer

Warm Regards,

My guess is this is an example of a customer support rep with no idea what he's talking about making random reassuring statements.

@NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... some of us will. >:)
    All of us will. Sheogorath is drawn to adventurers like the Vestige.

We're -interesting-.
    Edited by Sihnfahl on April 23, 2014 4:47PM
  • Severan
    Severan
    ✭✭✭
    When you can get 300+ skill points in the game, I don't think 2 matters very much. It was also your decision to not take the 2 skill points.
    Xbox One - BeScurred
  • Eccentric
    Eccentric
    ✭✭✭
    To all those who felt they were "forced" to send her away, to gain the 2 skillpoints. I can tell you Sheogorath might not be such a bad guy, even though he is in fact a Daedric Prince.

Sheogorath's real name is Jyggalag and former Daedric Prince of Order. He used to be one of the most powerful Deadra Lords with great influence. Because of jealousy, the other Daedric princes decided to curse him to live as Sheogorath, the incarnation of Madness,

Even though he might seem hostile, he certainly do hold a grudge against the other Daedra princes. He act mad, because he is cursed, but I believe he is in fact trying to help in his own way. Velaste is hopefully in good, but not too mad hands. :wink:
  • ESObtst_Grig
    Need to save her.. neeed .. too .. save her .. AND sold to Uncle Sheo for 2 skill points !! ..

If i didn't know i might have saved her .. but i know .. sadly .. i know..

Omg i saved her ! can't believe i did it !! Yhaa !!
    Edited by ESObtst_Grig on April 25, 2014 10:33PM
  • OgreSamanosuke
    OgreSamanosuke
    Soul Shriven
    Pick whichever you want, with the knowledge that 2 points are completely unimportant unless you're lazy or buying up way too many skills.
  • twisteddm
    twisteddm
    Soul Shriven
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I frankly LOVE that there are moral choices. I was a bit put off by the Bal Foyen conclusion (Fort/Docks), because there was NO good choice. I love something that makes me choose IN CHARACTER. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME after all!

Yeah, same here, although I actually loved the Bal Foyen choice for that very reason... you may be the hero, but sometimes there isn't a "right" choice to make. Just one you feel you can live with.
    Edited by twisteddm on April 29, 2014 8:26AM
This discussion has been closed.