The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PSA - STOP THE WEREWOLF/VAMPIRE GRIEIFING - Want to be a were/vamp? Think again!

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
Hello guys - wanted to drop a line at ya real quick about some despicable shiz I just heard.

Apparently there are guilds forming now, that will camp Werewolf/Vampire spawn sites, killing off the beasts ONLY to prevent other players from getting bit.

They keep the mobs for themselves so when a player wants to become one, they can EXPLOIT the player for inordinate amounts of money. I've seen bites sell for 20k all the way up to 40k... there is even talk of these guilds using paypal accounts for people to pay them.

DON'T DO THIS - THEY WILL SCAM YOU
I REPEAT IT IS A SCAM

Selling bites is NOT ILLEGAL in the game, but there is no system to ensure you will be bitten.

ZENIMAX - Stop these low-life griefers - I am NOT paying $15 a month to pay a scammer in game to exploit a skill tree that should be open FOR ALL PLAYERS.

Any thoughts?
  • Midgardian
    Midgardian
    ✭✭✭
    They should just implement special quest lines that allow you to become a vampire or werewolf, hence solving this problem.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Midgardian wrote: »
    They should just implement special quest lines that allow you to become a vampire or werewolf, hence solving this problem.

Exactly.

• Eldrenath
    Eldrenath
    ✭✭
    Or log out and log back in. You'll be in another phase, they can't camp every phase.
  • moondoggy
    moondoggy
    Actually there is a quest line for each that you have to complete BUT you don't get the quest line until AFTER you are bitten. At least to my knowledge.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Eldrenath wrote: »
    Or log out and log back in. You'll be in another phase, they can't camp every phase.

Or Zenimax fixes this issue - I didn't read on the back of my retail box that I can "re-log to avoid no-life griefers!"

• magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Please report these guys for harassment. They should be banned, or at least suspended.
    Sienna Nightsky | Aldmeri Dominion | Nightblade Woodelf
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The usual , people found an way to exploit others , they do it till the devs make it stop.

Nothing new here.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    The usual , people found an way to exploit others , they do it till the devs make it stop.

Nothing new here.

This thread is to hopefully gain the attention of higher ups.

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing new here.

This thread is to hopefully gain the attention of higher ups.

there was a thread before where one of the mods said they would look into it.

God knows how long it will take.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Was any Q/A or testing done outside the first playable areas???
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Was any Q/A or testing done outside the first playable areas???

yeap , there was, you can watch force videos about before the game came out , he was vet 2 then , but i think the vamp/werewolf stuff was only added when the game came out, not sure.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think the vamp/werewolf stuff was only added when the game came out, not sure.

What I'm trying to say, is that it would seem these obvious exploits should have been found before release, but since they were not, I ask if it was actually tested.
    Edited by CrimsonThomas on April 10, 2014 1:59AM
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are not just going to be in you home lvl 1-50 zone, get to vet ranks and go to where they spawn in the 50+, and 50++ area, they cant get them all. plus i heard the other day someone got turned in a dungeon in cyrodil in dagger fall territory. patients is a virtue, just level past them or wait it out, its not going to make or break the game if you are or are not a vamp or werewolf.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the vamp/werewolf stuff was only added when the game came out, not sure.

What I'm trying to say, is that it would seem these obvious exploits should have been found before release, but since they were not, I ask if it was actually tested.

The closed server where people could lvl until a really high level was meant only for a "few" people , all of them invited.

Problems like this would never appear then.

The game works ( atleast about this :P ) , it is the playerbase that undermines it.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is the playerbase that undermines it.

It's also the tester's job to find these exploits and solve them before they become a real problem post-release.
  • mattias.snakeb16_ESO
    There's nothing wrong with roleplaying in a roleplaying game that features the role you're playing as.
  • Skeksi
    Skeksi
    ✭✭
    Except this isn't an 'exploit'. The vampire and werewolf mobs are just that, mobs. There is nothing to stop people killing them, and there may be good roleplaying reasons to kill them.

Also there is no necessity to become a vampire or a werewolf. You may like to become one, but it doesn't impact on the playability of the game. Any rare mob is likely to be farmed. There will be people with the time and inclination to prevent other people from accessing these mobs, but they can't do it forever. Just be patient and seek out the mobs another time, or find someone who is willing to sell you the bite for much cheaper than these people are asking.

They may be griefers, but you don't have to allow them to make you feel bad.
  • NombreDeLaBeast
    Roleplay wise that sounds kind of cool...Gameplay wise is kinda sucky. I know that if I was RP'ing as something akin to the dawn guard I would try and prevent the vampire plague from spreading. But I would kindly stop if the person trying to get bit asked nicely. (and at no cost too!)
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, folks. Thank you for letting us know. We will investigate exactly what's happening here based on reports and tickets that you submit. In order to help us investigate more quickly, when you see an incident, please include the phrase "werewolf/vampire camping" in your ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Syndica
    Syndica
    Soul Shriven
    The only problem with claiming roleplay for griefing like this is that no real roleplayer would purposely go out of their way to exploit it like this. Trying to horde the mob and sell the bite is exploiting.
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness I'm not interested in becoming a werewolf/vampyre then.

This is despicable. And sadly human nature.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • NombreDeLaBeast
    Syndica wrote: »
    The only problem with claiming roleplay for griefing like this is that no real roleplayer would purposely go out of their way to exploit it like this. Trying to horde the mob and sell the bite is exploiting.

Well yeah, that is why I would stop if I knew I was actively disturbing someones game play. What is happening now is really sucky...but like I said the RPer in me could see...me...doing something like that. (if I was bored one day and slightly a little obnoxious. But again would stop if I was causing undue problems.)
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is the playerbase that undermines it.

It's also the tester's job to find these exploits and solve them before they become a real problem post-release.
    @CrimsonThomas‌ , in defense of my fellow pts testers, some of these conditions are only seen when you have a large player base in game.

Edit: Turns out some of us did spot this potential abuse. They just didn't make a big deal about it because it didn't seem feasible to corner the market in this way.

Edited by driosketch on April 10, 2014 3:55AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello guys - wanted to drop a line at ya real quick about some despicable shiz I just heard.

Apparently there are guilds forming now, that will camp Werewolf/Vampire spawn sites, killing off the beasts ONLY to prevent other players from getting bit.

They keep the mobs for themselves so when a player wants to become one, they can EXPLOIT the player for inordinate amounts of money. I've seen bites sell for 20k all the way up to 40k... there is even talk of these guilds using paypal accounts for people to pay them.

I REPEAT IT IS A SCAM

Selling bites is NOT ILLEGAL in the game, but there is no system to ensure you will be bitten.

ZENIMAX - Stop these low-life griefers - I am NOT paying $15 a month to pay a jerk-off in game to exploit a skill tree that should be open FOR ALL PLAYERS.

Any thoughts?

Not be an jerk about it, but you know that part right next to the M-Rate that says Online experiences may change? Yeah that covers them for the jerk offs. You are always going to get these type of *** in games like this.

People say well just don't pay them..that's never going to happen and we all know it. ZOS won't do anything about it, other than well be there before they get their for the day.

• Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This to me is the same as boss dungeon camping (minus the business gold end of it). But I would say a suggestion (same for boss camping) is once a player kills the particular werewolf/vampire type a timer kicks in before you can kill it again. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE THE RESPAWN TIME, just won't allow players to kill the particular enemy again for lets say an hour (it will spawn and glow yellow not red). This will essentially allow everyone to get their shot and will breakdown the business of bites for gold.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I REPEAT IT IS A SCAM

ZENIMAX - Stop these low-life griefers - I am NOT paying $15 a month to pay a jerk-off in game to exploit a skill tree that should be open FOR ALL PLAYERS.

Any thoughts?

Not be an jerk about it, but you know that part right next to the M-Rate that says Online experiences may change? Yeah that covers them for the jerk offs. You are always going to get these type of *** in games like this.

People say well just don't pay them..that's never going to happen and we all know it. ZOS won't do anything about it, other than well be there before they get their for the day.
    I see what you are saying but at the same time ZOS has been very upfront that they will always do their best to keep the game flowing and fun for all. So the days of camping werewolves and vampires will end surely. Hopefully very soon.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this is why they should have GM's in game that you can call to help you. I keep hearing folks poo poo this idea, but its the best way to take care of this kind of exploiting, when a GM can see it first hand.

For stuff like this I say suspend everyone who is in the group for 24 hours. If it is a guild that is making their own crime ring, well they made some money so wipe their guild store/bank/and any guild gold they have. I know this sounds harsh, but you would only have to do it once or twice before folks got the message and this crap stopped.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth, if you agree, "Great!". If you disagree, "Great!". I really couldn't care less either way.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax, Elder Scrolls Online Community, allow me to put it this way:

These people who deliberately block off this portion of the game are stealing from you. They are blocking off a portion of the game Zenimax created, and that you paid for, and are attempting to resell it for personal profit.

That, in my opinion, goes beyond simple exploit, it's theft. Zenimax, you like money, and you're proud of your product, and they're stealing your intellectual property. Fix it.
    Edited by CrimsonThomas on April 10, 2014 4:13AM
  • zshadez_ESO
    Nonsense. It's a game with creatures you're designed to be able to kill. It's not a main storyline progression issue, it's a side feature. Not all people being able to be bitten by vampires because they want to be because people are killing the vampires is a normal gameplay mechanic.

Not everyone's going to become emperor either, that isn't because people are stealing part of the IP. The game has hundreds of possibilities, you're not going to be able to easily achieve every one of them.
  • Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its an MMO.

People found a way to monetize a nieche.

Its not a problem, its brilliant !
    You want to be better then them ? Camp the NPCs your self, get biten, do the same for profit.

Putting some effort into a goal makes that goal worth while.

No one is "stealing from you". They are simply better at this game then you :D

Fact that we have all payed for the game doesn't mean you can simply log in, get stuff, because you paid and are entitled to get whatever you want.