The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Kicked for message rate limit - what the?!

ItsGlaive
ItsGlaive
✭✭✭✭✭
I was in Worm's Retreat, in group chat with one other, sent about five messages to him and him to me - all skills froze on boss, could only run, then I'm killed (no skills to fight back remember) and suddenly kicked for hitting some 'message rate limit' - what the hell?
Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Damanta
    Damanta
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on the receiving end of that kick as well, though in a slightly different situation.
    For me it was during a slightly laggy period in the daggerfall bank, when I had just closed it and was trying to open my mail to send a few items to guildmember.
    Never happened again, and because I could log back in straight away I filed it under a lag burst of commands going through and registering me as owner and thus kicking me.
    Edited by Damanta on April 2, 2014 2:01PM
    Lady Luck grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of everyone who pissed me off along the way.
  • Lookoutitsdomkeub17_ESO
    This has happened to me for the second time just now. On top of that I am experiencing some prominent lag issues. Combined it's making the game less enjoyable.
  • powerfantasticb14_ESO
    Just happened to me... the thing is I hadn't typed anything into the chat window during that play session. It must be erring on something else.
  • Celdryn
    Celdryn
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this issue if you get the "falling through the world" bug. Its a spam filter of sorts but I'm not sure if its configured for ALL inputs or filtered for actual /zone/say commands
    Deathrow Inc.
    Talloth Delong: Breton -Sorcerer-Tank
    "For King and Covenant!"
  • Persephone
    Persephone
    Soul Shriven
    Damanta wrote: »
    I filed it under a lag burst of commands going through and registering me as owner and thus kicking me.

I think Damanta is probably right. I've been kicked for this before but it has only ever happened to me during combat lag (for me it was in Cyrodiil), when I started repeatedly hitting keys to fire and cast spells because my character would slow down or stop executing actions because of the lag. I'd definitely suggest filing a /bug report when it happens and you are able to log back in again.

Edited by Persephone on April 4, 2014 3:06PM
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    It happened to me the first day without saying a word, three times in a row. Probably a bug.. I quitted the game and came back, since it never occurs again.
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • Booie
    Booie
    ✭✭
    This happened to me too. I had just joined a grp in AvA and was in an area alone nowhere close to any action.

Everything froze and it ended with being kicked for spamming. Only two things i did was ask for invite and accept it.

Told it to a cs but no reply.
    "We will make sure that no matter where you live, every player in North America, Europe, Oceania, and many places beyond will have a polished, lag-free launch experience," -Matt Firor

"The Elder Scrolls Online is all about having a premium experience; from gameplay to customer service. So yes, we planned on having premium customer support from the beginning of the project, and put a lot of emphasis on best-in-class service." -Matt Firor
  • Persephone
    Persephone
    Soul Shriven
    Celdryn wrote: »
    I've seen this issue if you get the "falling through the world" bug. Its a spam filter of sorts but I'm not sure if its configured for ALL inputs or filtered for actual /zone/say commands

Sorry, I missed your post while I was typing.

I think your assessment is spot on, and I think it's probably configured for all inputs (I know I wasn't using chat when it happened to me). Lag probably causes the commands to back up and then they go through all at once (or in rapid succession) like Damanta pointed out, causing the server to basically tag us as spammers, resulting in us being kicked.
    Edited by Persephone on April 4, 2014 3:59PM
  • Celdryn
    Celdryn
    ✭✭✭
    Persephone wrote: »
    Celdryn wrote: »

Sorry, I missed your post while I was typing.

I think your assessment is spot on, and I think it's probably configured for all inputs (I know I wasn't using chat when it happened to me). Lag probably causes the commands to back up and then they go through all at once (or in rapid succession) like Damanta pointed out, causing the server to basically tag us as spammers, resulting in us being kicked.

Haha, no biggie but yeah, seems to be the case. Not a bad system if it actually cuts down on the spam too :)
    Deathrow Inc.
    Talloth Delong: Breton -Sorcerer-Tank
    "For King and Covenant!"
  • Lookoutitsdomkeub17_ESO
    This literally happens to me about every hour. It is becoming a huge pain in my side. This NEEDS to be addressed and fixed.
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    Same thing happened to me as well earlier this evening. Annoying as hell. Was fighting a lowly trash mob, all skills froze and he inevitably killed me in the end. I thought I had lagged out, but nope another player came and killed the mob.

When I respawned I got the spam warning note. I had posted like half a dozen lines in guild chat over the course of 45mins, that's all lol.
    Edited by murklor007neb18_ESO on April 5, 2014 7:32PM
  • seangcxqb14_ESO
    Happened to me when promoting guild members.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auto kick seems a bit harsh.

I know chat channels tend to just prohibit you from sending any more messages.
  • Kyreni
    Kyreni
    I've gotten this message 3 times now... while running around Dagerfall. The first two I was able to directly log back in, but the third got me an "Unknown error".

I hadn't sent ANY chat messages before it happened, and by the zone chat it seems to have happened to several others too. An auto-kick for spammers would be nice - if it works properly.
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    I had this when I was seriously bugged, falling through the floor of an area resulting in 15 minutes of being able to do nothing. During that time I got booted once with that error message. I assume that sometimes your character passes parameters 'behind the scenes' that can cause this error to occur if something is not working as intended, flooding the system.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • Zagadka
    Zagadka
    ✭✭
    Yep, similar thing happened in combat - it stalled, felt like lag-drop, then suddenly I died and got kicked.

Glad I'm not alone.

EDIT: Also, when I tried to log back in, I was stuck in a queue with an eternal 1 second wait.
    Edited by Zagadka on April 7, 2014 12:28PM
  • darkangel13777_ESO
    I just got kicked while in a group dungeon with this same message. I did not message anyone at all. The game kept lagging on me and then got kicked with this message.
  • Adryssa_Joneley
    Adryssa_Joneley
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, i was soloing in Coldharbour and running along when i got kicked from game for spamming. I wasn't even typing a darn thing. /shrug So annoying
This discussion has been closed.