The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Ultimate generation in 1.6

sweetasbabyrwb17_ESO
Just wondering what everyone things of the way ultimate is generated in 1.6. Personally i think it is too slow. It shouldnt be the way it is now, on my nb veil *** i can have 3 up at one time which is crazy. And i think 1.6 will benefit ranged users more as it is easier to get in a light/heavy attack first. More testing i guess.
Balas Dres Vr16 Temp
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it is fast enough if DK will be able to manage their resources well wnough with the loss of a lot resources fom battle spirit (I am Sorc).

But it's an awful mechanic for melee fighters as they suddenly have to use light or heavy attacks all the time. Especially it's pretty idiotic to force the tanks to do so every 8 seconds.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • christoph.dessleb17_ESO
    it's an uncreative and wrong way to force players into the usage of light/heavy attacks. if you want something to be useful then think about the base concept and do it right.

as a result of this change animation cancelling will be even more important than it is now.
    Edited by christoph.dessleb17_ESO on January 28, 2015 9:20PM
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering what everyone things of the way ultimate is generated in 1.6. Personally i think it is too slow. It shouldnt be the way it is now, on my nb veil *** i can have 3 up at one time which is crazy. And i think 1.6 will benefit ranged users more as it is easier to get in a light/heavy attack first. More testing i guess.

Staff and bow Light attacks have been sped up finally. PewPewPew!
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run an AOE bar and a single target bar. I previously had to start weaving in light attacks on my single target bar to cancel animations in order to compete dps-wise with other classes.

I will now need to weave in single target weapon attacks when I'm fighting multiple targets in order to generate ultimate.

Any player who currently has an AOE bar and a single target bar will now need to weave single target weapon attacks in,regardless of if they are fighting multiple/single enemies.

I personally don't like the weapon attacks of staves(which I use) as they are so slow and clunky. I can't be the only player who thinks there should be a weapon attack that hits multiple targets and isn't a weapon skill,due to the change in ultimate generation.

Besides that, I could have sworn that they said they were bringing some of the weaker ultimates up to the same standard of the more powerful ones.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Weapon attack weaving is now essential due to increased DPS and new ultimate generation system. How about a multiple target weapon attack? That would make sense :D
    Edited by angelyn on January 28, 2015 10:43PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly do not know why more people aren't complaining about this. Do people really prefer using light and heavy attacks instead of class and weapon skills to generate Ultimate? I don't think many people have looked at this, especially from a PVE perspective.
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    I honestly do not know why more people aren't complaining about this. Do people really prefer using light and heavy attacks instead of class and weapon skills to generate Ultimate? I don't think many people have looked at this, especially from a PVE perspective.
    I have commented about this in other threads and someone responded "no more skill spammers"/ "you think you are awesome cos you could take 10 mobs on" or something like that. I don't think that person realised that ultimate generation will affect all classes equally and especially when fighting multiple mobs :p

Yes, I run a crit surge destro build. However, ultimate generation will affect all players and all classes.
    Edited by angelyn on January 28, 2015 9:56PM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Lol guys, it is not rly hard to use a LA/HA every 8 secs >.> Seems for some ppl that is already a too big burden to have.
    Edited by Alcast on January 28, 2015 9:58PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Lol guys, it is not rly hard to use a LA/HA every 8 secs >.> Seems for some ppl that is already a too big burden to have.

It is not hard it is just a stupid, lazy mechanic with no style or creativity.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

On the live server, my DK kills 3 and 4 packs of trash mobs in less than 8 seconds and earns more Ultimate doing so than what I earn on the PTS now. I have to slow down my game play and use far less effective techniques if I want to build Ultimate. It is an absurd trade-off.

• LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP'er here - I went into Cyro last night and had some fun at Chal messing w/ DC. I was on my Templar healer (pure heals, rarely LA/HA) and had no problems generating ulti. Even my group of 10 people (from various big name guilds) had almost no problems generating ultimate, each with different classes and play styles. I really did not feel much of a difference, and that was the consensus from all of us. The whole ulti-generating change doesn't feel as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • sweetasbabyrwb17_ESO
    It is not hard to weave light attacks at all not the point of this discussion. I am talking about the speed at which ult generates now which is too slow imo. And also the fact that it will be much easier for range users to do so. Most ults aren't mind-blowingly destructive, take bat swarm which does approx 1500 damage at moment with half that in healing received. Spam impulse/crit surge for a while same result in about 6or 7 spams. Either tweak ult gen times or tweak the damage. And im not a batswarmin impulse monkey just example.
    Balas Dres Vr16 Temp
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

On the live server, my DK kills 3 and 4 packs of trash mobs in less than 8 seconds and earns more Ultimate doing so than what I earn on the PTS now. I have to slow down my game play and use far less effective techniques if I want to build Ultimate. It is an absurd trade-off.

It's not a trade-off, it's a nerf. Not to beat a dead horse here, but basically ZOS envisioned Ultimate usage to be less frequent - this is their solution to it.

As far as it being lazy, or not creative, or whatever...i'm not sure I see that. You could just as easily say AOE crit generation of ultimate is lazy, or not creative, or whatever.

Tanks are happy I think? It has to be better than their ultimate generation before.
  • kaorunandrak
    kaorunandrak
    ✭✭✭
    Ult generates fine, it's not hard or stupid to use a light or heavy attack every 8 seconds. It benefits weaving yes but doesn't make it any more important people who were weaving were doing so with every single skill usage already. This change doesn't make them HAVE to weave a weave with every weave and put them into some weave inception black hole.

Skill spammers will still be there, there are certain skills that grant more ultimate on use still, if they fire a light attack or heavy every 8 seconds between skill spams you will be golden ultimate generated just fine. Does this hurt super crit builds that were double stack ultimate or using an ultimate and instantly going back to full ultimate, yes but does it completely negate that ability not at all. There will still be players and builds that will be generating ultimate at an obscene amount just not use ultimate and have enough ultimate in 3 seconds to fire it again.
    Edited by kaorunandrak on January 28, 2015 10:51PM
    Guild Leader of The Crimson Moon PVE/PVP NA
    Join CM! http://thecrimsonmoon.enjin.com/page/724665/recruitment?gid=72859-0

Kaoru Nandrak - V16 DK Stamina DPS 2h/Heavy
    Jaoul Deathbringer - V16 NB Stamina DPS DW/Medium
    Zantare Deshuld - V16 NB Magicka Sap Tank S&B/Heavy
    Jarl Nan'Drak - Sorc Magika DPS 2h/Light
    Vilder Ymirson- Temp Magika DPS DW/Light
    Graywulf Odakai- DK Magika Tank S&B/Heavy
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, I don't mind it. Something needed to be done about the rapid ult generation. Is it the best solution? Probably not but it will work.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way I look at it, at least from some testing, is if you're a ranged fighter (bows, staff) then you'll probably generate ultimate fairly quickly but as melee users may not. As a melee user you're in the thick of the fight and laying down some light or heavy attack may not be the best idea depending where as staff and bow users typically do light and heavy attacks more often than not anyway.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have trouble with this update if you don't include light/heavy attacks in your fighting.

I like it, it's actually fast enough to use ultimates fairly often, but not spam them.

Edited by Domander on January 29, 2015 2:38AM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tanked Vet Wayrest and Vet Spindleclutch on PTS earlier. Throwing in light attacks can definitely be done and tanks do gain ultimate faster than on live. But throwing in the light attacks feels kind of forced and awkward. It is gonna be a big pain on bosses who teleport around, or bosses who have AoE around them that you need to stay out of, or bosses that you need to kite. Getting in a 1H+Sword light attack on bosses like that will be nigh on impossible. DPS and Heals can use ranged weapons to get light attacks. Tank really needs to stay 1H+S for the damage mitigation passives, plus the extra armor/enchant/set bonus on the shield.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like being forced to light or heavy attack if I don't need to (i.e. if it doesn't increase my DPS or if I don't need resource return). Why can't the buff be applied/refreshed when you do any damage? Overall it's still the same thing except without the unnecessary extra step.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaRae wrote: »
    PvP'er here - I went into Cyro last night and had some fun at Chal messing w/ DC. I was on my Templar healer (pure heals, rarely LA/HA) and had no problems generating ulti. Even my group of 10 people (from various big name guilds) had almost no problems generating ultimate, each with different classes and play styles. I really did not feel much of a difference, and that was the consensus from all of us. The whole ulti-generating change doesn't feel as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

I have not felt much of a difference either but I think it is a play style thing. I will make a VR14 and try as many different builds as I can to see if I can find any builds that are weakened by weaving in standard attacks.
  • ben_ESO5
    ben_ESO5
    ✭✭✭
    It is not hard to weave light attacks at all not the point of this discussion. I am talking about the speed at which ult generates now which is too slow imo.

I must be a light/heavy attack junkie, because my experience on PTS is that my Ult was up far faster than in the past...it kinda scared me how quick it was back up.

• Mantic0r3
    Mantic0r3
    ✭✭✭
    The way it works now is bad for tanks, really hard/fast hitting bosses or alot of stuff to evade makes it really hard on those poor guys.

Also it limits boss tactics as you most likely cant stack dmg mitigation ultis as much anymore, but that might not be a bad thing ;) as long as current and coming boss mechanics dont require it. (couldnt raid on pts so far)

for everything else its ok
    Edited by Mantic0r3 on January 29, 2015 4:50AM
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just change this to give the ultimate buff to anyone who deals damage, rather than restrict it to light and heavy attacks. Make all damage proc the buff. That way, you still get it in AOE situations, and tanks will get it when they reapply their taunts. I don't see why it is restricted to proccing from normal attacks.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new system ultimate generation feels much more uniform across my characters.
  • Sharkano
    Sharkano
    ✭✭✭✭
    The change is idiotic, and makes melees have to throw lights when reducing blocking hurts them the most. If they want to keep this moronic system they should at least allow light/heavy attacks from blocking, as with skills, so tanks perma-blocking can get off ultimate charging.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ben_ESO5 wrote: »
    It is not hard to weave light attacks at all not the point of this discussion. I am talking about the speed at which ult generates now which is too slow imo.

I must be a light/heavy attack junkie, because my experience on PTS is that my Ult was up far faster than in the past...it kinda scared me how quick it was back up.

I had the same experience. Seemed I gained ulti faster on PTS than on Live with my build.

Most of the complains here seems to be people with crit ulti buildup that could stack 2-3 ultis of their own during fight and of course PVP where you just block and block cast.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the new ultimate generation, now it feels more like a real ultimate.
    I'm sorry for you but i am the same sapp essence spec like you on live, and it isjust dumb and stupid. The only thing that i don t like it's the veil abosrb nerf, it wasn t really needed.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's dumb. Plain and simple. If they wanted your Ultimate abilities to be Ultimate. Then keep the current generation system, maybe even half it. And increase the damage of all the Ultimate abilities by a VERY large margin. We have twenty five thousand HP now? So make Veil of Blades and Standard of Might tick for 15-25% of our HP.

This change to Ultimate generation not only screws every DK's resource management and makes them squishier, but it also bends over my Sap Tank build, invested 120k + into my current builds for my DK and NB and now they'll prolly suckasomemajorballz. I obviously have to test them in PvP first but my hopes are very low.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the SPEED of the new ultimate generation.
    I don't agree with the METHOD of the new ultimate generation

a time triggered by light attacks, and no other option, is very very simplified.
    I'd prefere ultimate beeing granted in a way resembling the finess system (which was scapped a long time ago): successfull interrupts, blocks, dodge rolls, executes, and other meaningfull combat actions/decissions should all grant ultimate, imho
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I tanked Vet Wayrest and Vet Spindleclutch on PTS earlier. Throwing in light attacks can definitely be done and tanks do gain ultimate faster than on live. But throwing in the light attacks feels kind of forced and awkward. It is gonna be a big pain on bosses who teleport around, or bosses who have AoE around them that you need to stay out of, or bosses that you need to kite. Getting in a 1H+Sword light attack on bosses like that will be nigh on impossible. DPS and Heals can use ranged weapons to get light attacks. Tank really needs to stay 1H+S for the damage mitigation passives, plus the extra armor/enchant/set bonus on the shield.
    +1
    And if we add the same situation in PvP range players will be in a big advantage.

Because I can!
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Penny will drop eventually - This change is not good so many threads have been made about this already.

Seriously looks like the new system was designed by a 10yr old.