The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Idea for new PvE / PvP zone

ThinkerOfThings
ThinkerOfThings
✭✭✭
Greetings,

This is an idea I have been working on for awhile and wanted to get some feedback from the community on. This idea incorporates what I assume ( which can get people in trouble ) some of the existing technology within the game to provide zones that are more like guided sandbox hubs. Additionally it would use the upcoming Justice System as well, but I am again making some assumptions on how that is going to work as well, please bare with me.

Assuming that with the Champion system players are able to earn some form of negative reputation for repeatedly breaking the law and can become wanted, much like in other Elder Scrolls Games, I wanted to make sure that those players are also represented. I understand the system is in development so anything could happen, these are just some thoughts.

There would be three zones, one per Alliance, each with a City hub and a Bandit hub as well as 2-3 forts controllable by either the City or the Bandits. Each hub would have various buildings that would be sponsored by a guild using the rotating weekly bidding system already in place. While sponsored the guild would get a static bonus based on the type of the building and possibly a vendor. These zones could also be made available to other factions through the completion of the Cadwell's silver and gold quests, potentially giving the completion of those quests a bit more weight.

The City hub would work as any normal city with guards keeping any bandits and those with bounties at bay. The bandit hub would have essentially the same buildings as the city hub but perhaps a different set of guild buffs. The various forts would be up for grabs by either factions and provide a small selection of guild sponsor opportunities.

For the various buffs and sponsor benefits, I was thinking things like, owning the bar would give your guild a 10% drop rate on Drink Provisioning Recipes, owning the bakery would give you a 10% drop rate on Food Provisioning Recipes. Each would give your guild access to a small selection of non combat recipes such as a drink that turns you into a Goblin.

All buildings in these zones would use the Cyrodiil mechanics and be fully destructible and it would be the responsibility of the guild sponsor to maintain and repair any damage to these buildings. Additionally these zones would be scaled like Cyrodiil and be available from 10-50, providing rotating daily quests with bags leveled to the character who completes the quest.

Through out the day or week respectively, PvE events would occur where the city hub must be protected by roaming monsters, bandits, cultists, daedra. Additionally the city or the bandits could organize raids on one another, hopefully through inter-guild cooperation or weekly quests. Quests could include crafting or PvP quests with materials or gear drops from leveled bags as well as some PvE quests that could give you access to a pet vendor of some sort.

Any ideas on things to add, different buffs, ways to make the zone more of an open sandbox feel?
"It is very, very sad being mortal. There is happiness, yes. But mostly sadness. As I have said, count only the happy hours." - Vivec
XBOX - EP: Sen Sadri ( DE NB )
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing against you, but there are quite a few issues with your ideas:

- PvE is the major selling point of an MMO. It has been proven on multiple occasions that mostly PvP endgame doesn't sell well.

- PvE players already quit or are whining due to lack of content. Yes we got Upper and Lower Craglorn, but that is clearly not enough to satisfy their needs.

- Adding 3 new PvP zones wouldn't benefit Cyrodiil at all. Also I can imagine they'd end up being barren zones 1 month after launch, eventually most of PvPers would go back to Cyrodiil anyway.

- Update 7 will be supposedly a big PvP update. With Imperial City coming and all the tweaks to Cyrodiil. Isn't that plenty of land to test yourself in a real scale PvP battlefield etc.?

- I'm all for adding Arenas, battlegrounds and Duels to ESO. At least they wouldn't hit Cyrodiil directly. However seriously after getting that Imperial City and Justice System (kinda world PvP), don't expect any other zones added specifically for PvP. It just wouldn't be worth it.
  • ThinkerOfThings
    ThinkerOfThings
    ✭✭✭
    I can certainly understand that and appreciate the constructive input. Even if ZOS were to like the idea, it could be many months or years before something like this came out. Additionally, I can see how from my article it may seem like this was a PvP focused zone as I did not really expound upon the PvE section.

The main idea being that this would be a zone where guilds could own or support property within a city and that city would come under threat from time to time, say from giants or daedra, PvE quests could be done to gather materials, fortify walls, stock rations, scout enemy territories ect. before a shared zone event where said bad guys assault the city. The city would then need to be defended, and the people saved.

YAY!

The PvP aspects were more of added flavor. The overall benefits of being wanted should not outweigh benefits of supporting your faction, the functionality of a bandit hideout was more about representation as the Justice system is still coming.

This was originally conceptualized as an alternative to the normal quest leveling but still provide benefit post 50, giving the world more of a do what you want feel. Providing more of a daily quest hub with tangible guild benefits that do not imbalance other aspects of the game.

So if anyone feels the PvP aspect could totally be thrown out, what other things would be good to add? What zone would be good for each faction?
    "It is very, very sad being mortal. There is happiness, yes. But mostly sadness. As I have said, count only the happy hours." - Vivec
    XBOX - EP: Sen Sadri ( DE NB )