The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Game is Selling Well

poodlemasterb16_ESO
poodlemasterb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Just a small post to point out that the game is doing very well. At the top of sales in the UK;

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

I'm sure this will upset many trolls. ;)
  • Gawdfather
    Gawdfather
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it today.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But I want to play a game that ISN'T number 1.

GG Zos. Now I can't play as I want! What a scam!
    Edited by Sallington on August 20, 2014 7:17PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One would think, reading the forums, that they got ESO on the wrong chart. It was supposed to be on the "Top Games Where Players Are Cancelling Subscriptions" chart.

:wink:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh who cares about the UK. That's what 3 copies sold. Just kidding of course its selling well its a fun game.
  • Arabth
    Arabth
    ✭✭
    Gawdfather wrote: »
    I bought it today.
    welcome to the game :), you will have mounths of playtime before you meet the things that are mostly talked about in the forum this days, would tho recumend looking in to some addons for the game as some elements that are used to from mmo are lacking, atlast for me, but take it from me you will have days and weeks of fun questing infront of you
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just convinced 5 friends to buy it, zeni bonus me 1 month pls ^^.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the amount of people just buying the game has a relevant relationship with the argued end-game issues.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because the amount of people just buying the game has a relevant relationship with the argued end-game issues.

There's more new players coming in than there are people leaving because they ran out of things to do in the first couple months. That sounds good to me.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it today.

Bought today yet you have three stars in the forum.
    Is something wrong here?
    Brandoid - Templar - Ebonheart Pack
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandoid wrote: »
    I bought it today.

Is something wrong here?

If you take even a second to glance at his profile, it's obvious that he was in beta.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »

There's more new players coming in than there are people leaving because they ran out of things to do in the first couple months. That sounds good to me.
    That sounds unsustainable to me.

If your boat springs a leak, it's great that you can grab some buckets and keep it afloat, but you really should look to that leak sooner than later.
    Edited by Maverick827 on August 20, 2014 7:58PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is probably true of about half the gamers out there with their games. They get it close to release, inhale the content, then move on to the next game on the list.

However, with TES, people tend to stick around long after the Min/Maxers have moved on. I think the same with this game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    who-is-awesome.jpg
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought it today.

Nice! Good to see you back @Gawdfather (yeah we're on each others friend list)

• Gawdfather
    Gawdfather
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it today.

Nice! Good to see you back @Gawdfather (yeah we're on each others friend list)

Oh cool, Hey man, can you lend me a fiver?
    lol jk
  • Gawdfather
    Gawdfather
    ✭✭✭
    Brandoid wrote: »
    I bought it today.

Is something wrong here?

Beta Tester/Forum spammer. Mystery SOLVED
    Edited by Gawdfather on August 20, 2014 8:19PM
  • yelloweyedemon
    yelloweyedemon
    ✭✭✭
    Competing against.... none.. Wait a couple of months 'till new games come out.
  • Akula
    Akula
    ✭✭✭✭
    Competing against.... none.. Wait a couple of months 'till new games come out.

You mean the other games on that list aren't real games?

Oh you probably meant Archage. Yeah that game has already bombed.
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭
    Just a small post to point out that the game is doing very well. At the top of sales in the UK;

Not for nothing but, a lot of MMO games that went belly up *sold* really well. For P2P MMO's it's about subscribers rather than boxes sold.

• Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

Indeed.

Good sales figures is a positive sign to growth in that market, but I wonder how much that had to do with moving of the UK server to the UK so low bandwidth players could enjoy the game.

Though as of July 2014 the top ten games by sales are:

1. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
    2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    3. FIFA 14 (360,PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
    4. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    6. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, PC)
    7. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
    8. Sniper Elite III (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
    9. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
    10. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
    (source)

ESO doesn't even register on the list as per NPD groups market analysis. Though it's difficult to gauge digital sales volume handled expressly by a first party as they rarely disclose that information (easier to cook the books on taxes if you don't go around telling on yourself ;) ), so it's hard to say for certain just how well ESO is selling. With not even a requirement to publish a quarterly investors report since Zenimax Media Inc. is privately held there's literally only guessing and conjecture we can make.

I guess Zenimax Media inc. is doing OK, but I also wager to guess ZOS isn't doing nearly as well as they hoped they'd be doing right now. Missing that console launch of ESO in June was likely a big set back to their projected ROI. Never a good time for a business to miss a product's launch date, screws up all of the accounting work. Luckily their real money maker Bethesda hit it out of the park with Wolfenstein to keep Zenimax Media racking in the money.

My guts tell me when the titles start to slow down coming out of Zenimax Media's subsidiaries (think Battlecry is up next), big changes will hit the business model for ESO if the subscriber base is lower than they would like. Might be a better business decision to go with a "buy-to-play" model just in time for the console launch to lean more into the DLC content delivery strategy and implementation of more micro transactions to get a big surge in profit to hopefully fund a full on expansion to the IP, and potential sequel some years down the road.

Suffice it to say I wouldn't take that UK top 20 list very seriously. D3 reaper of souls edition is just now going to PS4, Destiny (the most pre ordered game in history) is coming out soon, Dragon Age 3 (one of the top 10 most anticipated games of 2014) is going to be out in October, Super Smash Bros will be out some time in Q4 for Wii U (October for 3DS), and early 2015 we've got the Witcher 3 slated for February. The next 6 months are going to be a thrill ride for gamers...and I didn't even mention Sunset Overdrive in October!

Lists are just lists, getting crap loads of awesome games raining all over the market in such a small window of time is the good thing to take away from how 2014 has been and will continue to be straight on into 2015.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »

Indeed.

Good sales figures is a positive sign to growth in that market, but I wonder how much that had to do with moving of the UK server to the UK so low bandwidth players could enjoy the game.

2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    10. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
    (source)

ESO doesn't even register on the list as per NPD groups market analysis. Though it's difficult to gauge digital sales volume handled expressly by a first party as they rarely disclose that information (easier to cook the books on taxes if you don't go around telling on yourself ;) ), so it's hard to say for certain just how well ESO is selling. With not even a requirement to publish a quarterly investors report since Zenimax Media Inc. is privately held there's literally only guessing and conjecture we can make.

I guess Zenimax Media inc. is doing OK, but I also wager to guess ZOS isn't doing nearly as well as they hoped they'd be doing right now. Missing that console launch of ESO in June was likely a big set back to their projected ROI. Never a good time for a business to miss a product's launch date, screws up all of the accounting work. Luckily their real money maker Bethesda hit it out of the park with Wolfenstein to keep Zenimax Media racking in the money.

My guts tell me when the titles start to slow down coming out of Zenimax Media's subsidiaries (think Battlecry is up next), big changes will hit the business model for ESO if the subscriber base is lower than they would like. Might be a better business decision to go with a "buy-to-play" model just in time for the console launch to lean more into the DLC content delivery strategy and implementation of more micro transactions to get a big surge in profit to hopefully fund a full on expansion to the IP, and potential sequel some years down the road.

Suffice it to say I wouldn't take that UK top 20 list very seriously. D3 reaper of souls edition is just now going to PS4, Destiny (the most pre ordered game in history) is coming out soon, Dragon Age 3 (one of the top 10 most anticipated games of 2014) is going to be out in October, Super Smash Bros will be out some time in Q4 for Wii U (October for 3DS), and early 2015 we've got the Witcher 3 slated for February. The next 6 months are going to be a thrill ride for gamers...and I didn't even mention Sunset Overdrive in October!

Lists are just lists, getting crap loads of awesome games raining all over the market in such a small window of time is the good thing to take away from how 2014 has been and will continue to be straight on into 2015.

TL:DR
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed.

2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    (source)

TL:DR

Games = Good
    Lists = just stuff in a sequence
    Gamers = Win
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not really. This works in "bite and run" games like F2P MMOs. Subs bases MMOs rely on long term fidelization. Sure, as long as ESO is "new and fresh" it can afford an high turnover, but past 2-3 years the new players usually subside a lot and then it's long term players that keep the game running.
  • RedMiniStapler
    RedMiniStapler
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... Judging by the list, I should buy some actiblizz and ea stocks.
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭

Indeed.

2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    (source)

Not one single game on that list is an MMO. All of them are single player games. Although some of them do have Multiplayer/Co-op options with the game.

Keep in mind that we have just finished seeing a massive number of summer sales going on here in the US as well. From the Steam to Microsoft, to Origin, and Sony. All of them have just completed their summer sales.

It stands to reason that during the months where there are summer sales of Single Player Games, that those games will then rate higher on any list that is showing sales alone.

• Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »

Indeed.

2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    (source)

Not one single game on that list is an MMO. All of them are single player games. Although some of them do have Multiplayer/Co-op options with the game.

Keep in mind that we have just finished seeing a massive number of summer sales going on here in the US as well. From the Steam to Microsoft, to Origin, and Sony. All of them have just completed their summer sales.

It stands to reason that during the months where there are summer sales of Single Player Games, that those games will then rate higher on any list that is showing sales alone.

They sold ESO on Steam, too.

The key component of that list is it is dominated by consoles. That's why, even though the game still lurches along like a gaspunk steam engine, they will keep moving forward and fixing stuff until they can land on the platforms they want.

Sadly, that's consoles. 5 skills, one radial item use slot and an ultimate has always been for console controllers (all the way back to morrowind).

Before the ZOS/Bethesda defenders chime in... that doesn't mean the stories or games are bad... just the fact of the design.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You actually mean to tell me , that those games are the most sold in the UK?
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    JessieColt wrote: »

Indeed.

2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    (source)

They sold ESO on Steam, too.

The key component of that list is it is dominated by consoles. That's why, even though the game still lurches along like a gaspunk steam engine, they will keep moving forward and fixing stuff until they can land on the platforms they want.

Sadly, that's consoles. 5 skills, one radial item use slot and an ultimate has always been for console controllers (all the way back to morrowind).

Before the ZOS/Bethesda defenders chime in... that doesn't mean the stories or games are bad... just the fact of the design.

Yeah, but you can also pull graphs and numbers showing that consoles, on the whole, are on the way down in revenue generation. Or at least fluctuate widely enough that any single month stat is utterly worthless on its own.

http://techreport.com/r.x/2013_7_25_EA_financials_show_growing_PC_game_revenue/ea-rev-quarterly.png

The main problem is that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)

• PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One would think, reading the forums, that they got ESO on the wrong chart. It was supposed to be on the "Top Games Where Players Are Cancelling Subscriptions" chart.

You can make as many 'I quit' threads as you like even if you don't. You can make them even if you never played the game.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »

You can make as many 'I quit' threads as you like even if you don't. You can make them even if you never played the game.
    You need to have owned the game and have an active subscription to post and make threads.
    Edited by Maverick827 on August 20, 2014 10:48PM