The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

9th trait - Nirnhoned

Sasky
Sasky
✭✭✭
Is the research time for the 9th trait going to follow the progression? If so, you're looking at close to 2 months for the people who have already researched 8 traits to add it in on their main crafting character or starting a new craft character just to be able to use the new traits on sets in a reasonable timeframe.

Edit - It looks like the major concern about 2-month times was addressed by an undocumented change. As such I'm editing this first topic to include that info (and info on the trait itself, since the topic's gone there anyways).

Trait info -- called Nirnhoned:
Armor: Uses Fortified Nirncrux. Increases spell resistance by 2.5 - 4.5% according to quality.

Weapon: Uses Potent Nirncrux. Tooltip is "Increases Spell resistance by 0" from craft stations and link info on the trait stone.

Research:
There is a new 4th-level research passive reading:
"Reduces research times by 20%, limits research time to 30 days, and allows research of three items at once."
Edited by Sasky on August 20, 2014 5:36PM
Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess that all of the money will be in being a low level crafter now lol.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see traits unlocked in a better way. Perhaps through crafting achievements or something of that nature.
  • zso72
    zso72
    ✭✭
    "Nirnhoned equipment can be obtained by completing the main quest line in Upper Craglorn."

Here's hoping this isn't the only way- as I envision this quest will be group-or-bust.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zso72 wrote: »
    "Nirnhoned equipment can be obtained by completing the main quest line in Upper Craglorn."

Here's hoping this isn't the only way- as I envision this quest will be group-or-bust.

If that is indeed the case that the ONLY way you can learn this trait is by completing the quest, I give up.

Why is the ONLY way to get special dropped sets and now maybe traits by completing GROUP quests?
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    so... what does this new trait do?
  • Illumous
    Illumous
    ✭✭✭
    Here is what I found in the PTS under the crafting station about Nirnhoned... Unfortunately the description for its effect on weapon is bugged (just says 'increases Resistance by 0'), so I pulled the research description instead.

EDIT: Also they added new passives for crafting that caps the total research time to 30 days.
    Edited by Illumous on August 20, 2014 2:04AM
    Sol-Illumous | Breton Templar | Mag Support/Healer | EP
    Sol-Ventus | Imperial Templar | Stam DPS | EP
    Famìne | Argonian Templar | Mag Support/Healer | DC
    NA Azura's Star (PC) - WCFC (Myrmidons) & Horsemen of Apocalypse
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So a trait that is pointless due to soft caps. Good job ZOS.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zso72 wrote: »

If that is indeed the case that the ONLY way you can learn this trait is by completing the quest, I give up.

Why is the ONLY way to get special dropped sets and now maybe traits by completing GROUP quests?

One would assume you can research off of someone else's item like the other traits that currently exist.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »
    Well, not entirely pointless. Soft caps are just soft. It's perfectly fine to go past them. Whether a particular player feels that it's worth using up a precious trait for a little more spell resist or not is up to him.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oberon wrote: »
    Well, not entirely pointless. Soft caps are just soft. It's perfectly fine to go past them. Whether a particular player feels that it's worth using up a precious trait for a little more spell resist or not is up to him.

My current spell resist on PTS is 2185 overcharged by 251 without it. Needless to say it's pointless.

Edit:
    On live, 2193 overcharged by 301.
    Edited by Lionxoft on August 20, 2014 4:34AM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are adding a trait to protect you from the most used element in the game, rather than redesign things as necessary for physical actions to become more utilized. Just another 30 day waste of research time. It would have been better as reduced damage from spells by a %, but instead they decide to make it add spell resistance which will have a minimal increase in mitigation.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on August 20, 2014 4:36AM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This trait is meaningless. On the live server, I am currently soft capped for my Spell Resistance at 1984 and this is without any scroll bonuses in Cyrodiil. I have not noticed any particular difference in my ability to resist damage from spells as a result.

It's only been a little over 12 hours since this trait was announced and it is already a failure in my eyes before it is even used.
    Edited by LonePirate on August 20, 2014 4:52AM
  • pinstripesc
    pinstripesc
    ✭✭✭
    In heavy armor I've gotta wear a necklace to get my spell resistance up to cap. I'm actually kinda happy to see this trait added.
  • zmanu
    zmanu
    ✭✭✭
    This is clearly a try to make medium armour a thus stamina builds more viable. Having 7 medium will leave your spell resist at an uncomfortable level, but to be honest I do not think the trait will see much use outside of solo leveling builds.
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any1 else think that weapon Ninhorned trait are useless ?
    Why have a "Chance to increase spell resistance on hit" when you can have it all the time with Defending trait ?

Also it is some how repeat the defending trait bonus on weapons.
    Edited by killedbyping on August 20, 2014 7:07AM
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Umm you are all lightarmorers?
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kypho wrote: »

Wait, light armor isn't the only type in the game? :D. Seriously though, it's a good trait ;) especially for non-light users in pvp but with spell pen reduction in 1.4 the extra 4.5% per piece @ legendary will be pretty slick to go past the softcap significantly with.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is still better than certain existing traits such as exploration...And for those who already have 8/8 traits, would it takes 50 days to research?
  • Horrum
    Horrum
    ✭✭✭
    Kypho wrote: »

7/7 heavy 1h-s and I have reached the spell resistance softcap (no mundus or jewellery either), but I am still looking forward to the option. Like others have said, it's still better than many of the other traits.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have 2k spell resist, this will get you to ~2.4k
  • Navaya
    Navaya
    ✭✭✭
    There is a trait to increase armor, so only makes sense that there is one to increase spell resistance. Great trait to add. Just not so sure if I like the weapon version of it.
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    ONLY f they fix the problem with spell penetration being MULTIPLIED by sharpned weapons... if they don't do that no matter how much spell resist you stack it will be worthless -_-'

and even if they do that... in PvP impenetrable will still be better;
    2,5% increased spell resistnace will probably translate in something close to 1% less damage from spell if you already have a good spell resistance... and something like 0,5 if you have it low... compare it with a 10% reduced chance to be critted... do the mat and see that already on magic damage alone impenetrable will be more usefull... and it also work against phisical attacks that goes against armor rather than resist ^^'

in PvE where monster don't crit... it may become usefull for heavy armored tank... but even there I would probably prefer to overcap resist with some skill (and there is plenty for such use) rather than sacrifice all my armor trait..
  • Richard.A.Ferrellub17_ESO
    Illumous wrote: »
    Here is what I found in the PTS under the crafting station about Nirnhoned... Unfortunately the description for its effect on weapon is bugged (just says 'increases Resistance by 0'), so I pulled the research description instead.

EDIT: Also they added new passives for crafting that caps the total research time to 30 days.

Weapon
    Nirnhoned trait
    Increases Resistance by '0'.

Is this simply a tooltip error or does it functionally not give a resistance boost when it procs?
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want to introduce it incrementally so as not to unbalance things. LOL
    /sarcasm off
  • Illumous
    Illumous
    ✭✭✭

Weapon
    Nirnhoned trait

Is this simply a tooltip error or does it functionally not give a resistance boost when it procs?

It's a tooltip error I believe. I highly doubt they would make another weapon trait that increases spell res since Defending already does that. I will see if I can't find a Nirnhoned weapon in Craglorn once I get off work tonight so I can confirm what the trait actually does on weapons (unless, of course, someone else has already used one and can clarify).
    Sol-Illumous | Breton Templar | Mag Support/Healer | EP
    Sol-Ventus | Imperial Templar | Stam DPS | EP
    Famìne | Argonian Templar | Mag Support/Healer | DC
    NA Azura's Star (PC) - WCFC (Myrmidons) & Horsemen of Apocalypse
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, updated original post with that. It still is a bit odd, since for a single type of crafting (woodwork, clothing/light, clothing/medium, blacksmith/armor, etc) you're looking at 3 months of research time per new trait added to learn it on all items and 5 months if doing all of clothing or blacksmithing to 8.

I agree the armor trait is something more useful than most of them, but really needs some underlying mechanics adjustments for armor/resist and penetration to be truly useful. The weapon is bizarre, since unless they put it at really high levels of spell resistance (like 300-400 gold or more at v12/14) it's trumped by the defending trait (which is also up ALL the time).
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Weapon
    Nirnhoned trait

It's a tooltip error I believe. I highly doubt they would make another weapon trait that increases spell res since Defending already does that. I will see if I can't find a Nirnhoned weapon in Craglorn once I get off work tonight so I can confirm what the trait actually does on weapons (unless, of course, someone else has already used one and can clarify).

Defending trait is only on the weapon tho, not armor.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭

Weapon
    Nirnhoned trait

Defending trait is only on the weapon tho, not armor.

Nirnhoned has a weapon and an armor trait (like Infused). They're looking at the weapon nirnhoned trait compared to the defending trait.
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My current spell resist on PTS is 2185 overcharged by 251 without it. Needless to say it's pointless.

Edit:

What type of armor are you using? Light? i think this trait is ment to help bring of spell resist for Heavy and Medium armor without having to put +magic resist on jewelry meaning they can hit the soft cap and have more +weapon damage from jewelry
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

What type of armor are you using? Light? i think this trait is ment to help bring of spell resist for Heavy and Medium armor without having to put +magic resist on jewelry meaning they can hit the soft cap and have more +weapon damage from jewelry

I hit the soft cap in heavy(2079) and medium(1961) as well. I do agree that this could be beneficial for some builds but for the majority of the players it's a pretty useless trait(Which is a good thing). Maybe it will inspire some folks to wear something other than dresses. :) Don't think it's quite there yet but it's creepin'.
This discussion has been closed.