The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Apology and request for patience

Greywolf46
Greywolf46
✭✭✭
Yesterday I made the person I was grouped with mad at me. He told me in no uncertain terms that I should not be allowed to play ESO and that “U suck”.

I got the message.

Up front he/she most likely was right, at least from his/her perspective. I am most certainly not the gamer I used to be. But I hold my own, most of the time. There are moments when my fingers seem to have a mind of their own and refuse to hit the proper key. This always happens at the most inopportune times as well.

I plead guilty for being human and foible.

I am 68 years old and enjoy the game. I will make more mistakes playing it than I used too when I was playing the FPS Duke Nukem on the TEN, Total Entertainment Network, more years ago that I care to remember. Yet, somehow I managed to level my nightblade and partially figured out how to play the class effectively, at least for me.

So at the same time I plead guilty for not being the very best nightblade in the game; I ask for patience and a request to keep the game in perspective. Interpersonal relations are far more important that loot, level, or skill. At least they are in my life. If you take the time to get to know me you may find that I am not a bad sort and that am semi-worthy to play the game.

What is really bothering me about this experience is that I missed an opportunity to make a new friend, instead I made an enemy, strictly by accident. For even now I am not sure what I did or did not do to warrant such venom. I was not given a chance to redeem myself. I even followed this person and helped him/her kill a World Boss; but never got an acknowledgement.

I appreciate the medium provided here to voice this.

Thank you
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm right there with you. I'm 64 and between diminished eyesight and arthritis I'm not the gamer I was anymore either. Fortunately not everybody around here wants us kicked off and the game made harder. I have toons in every faction on the NA server. Look me up!
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that would get bent out of shape over an error in a video game is probably not someone you'd want to maintain a relationship with. That you came here to voice your concerns says as much about your character as the other individual's actions say about theirs.

Fortunately, I've run most of my dungeons with people who understand that feces occurs and, when things went all sideways and pear-shaped, kept a good attitude about it all.

Hopefully, you'll find more of the latter kind in your continued travels in Tamriel.

Sincerely,

An Original Atari Girl. (Before it was called a 2600! )
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I give you an awesome for your age and because I sometimes have similar problems - since a stroke 6 years ago, my hands are just not as dexterous as they were, and sometimes I spaz up because my brain isn't talking to the fingers properly! Such is old age!

Perhaps the younger folks should bear in mind that not all of us are as sharp as they are. Before the stroke, I was a high end Quake 3 player with many wins under my belt. I can do but a fraction of that stuff now.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the tryhards who think they're better than everyone, he had no right/reason to insult you like he did.
    I've entered dungeon groups where I've been kicked for stupid reasons (e.g. I've been kicked for being a sorc healer rather than templar) and I've heard of even worse, such as dps being kicked for using a bow >.>

Often people just want someone to blame for their failures.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like you missed the opportunity to make a new friend. You simply encountered an awful, rude person you're much better off not knowing. Consider yourself lucky he revealed himself as such early on so you didn't waste too much time.
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • NorthernFury
    NorthernFury
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep being awesome, Greywolf. Sometimes you just gotta chalk it up to 'ignore the kids', and by kids I don't always mean chronological age.

There are plenty of nice people in game too that will not attack you for making a mistake. Most of one of my guilds is 40+ age range and we all have families and kids.......even when dungeons take longer than they could, or we have problems with a boss, fun is had by all.

Don't take it personally, jerks are just jerks, just keep enjoying the game, I am sure you are just being hard on yourself and do fine =)

Skadi Storm-Blade - VR14 Altmer Sorcerer
    Brynnhild Valkyrja - VR12 Nord DragonKnight
    Haakon Hardrada - VR12 Nord Templar
    Sanguine's Tester (retired)

Cattle die
    kinsmen die
    all men are mortal.
    Words of praise
    will never perish
    nor a noble name.

- The Havamal
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks who don't take the time to get to know the person behind the toon they're partnering with for PvE or PvP really should take the time to do just that. I've found some pretty cool people in ESO that way.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people can be extremely rude, sorry you went through that. There is no need to be such an elitists in such a casual game as ESO. There is nothing that is hardcore or progressive about the raiding and you can make due with about any group composition as long as they don't stand in fire, block, and interrupt when needed.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, anybody that reacted to you in that manner, is the person that should not be allowed to play. If anything, the maturity level shows that they are not eligible to play video games without parental supervision looking over their shoulder.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you met an a-hat. Not someone you want to be with... no loss.
  • RedMiniStapler
    RedMiniStapler
    ✭✭✭
    Pffffffft, forget about that jackass. There are a lot of impatient people, which is the reason why I hate random grouping.
    I'm about half your age and yet I have a bit of slow reaction time, which is a big no-no when it comes to raid, I don't even think about when I'm over sixty, I'll have reaction of a tortoise or a dying snail.
  • Muletide
    Muletide
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry, people are rude... especially newer generations of gamers. Just continue to have fun the way you want to. I tend to disregard any opinion or statement from a person who can't fully type out Y-o-u.
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would not want to be a friend with that person anyways. No worries, mate!
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    If any of you having trouble with your hands, may want to give a controller a shot. I played all the way to VR12, Tamriel Hero with a controller. PM if you want advice/help.
    Edited by LariahHunding on August 5, 2014 7:38PM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• meba
    meba
    ✭✭
    Truth.d7d4a52f9ed01bd0c802ea0696bed43439ac77886bb2490ef2418d8e94a32a64.jpg
    playstation/na • òbłìvîón
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best friend sucks at this game. He knows it, I know it, my wife knows it. Doesn't mean he can't have fun. And doesn't stop him from being my best friend.

I, myself, and noticing an extreme loss in multi-threading, as I call it. I used to be able to talk in three channels (two TS and one vent) while typing to someone else and rocking to music. Gaming on multiple screens and computers was a norm.

Now, if the headsets on, the musics off. And don't try and talk to me at all while I'm typing, cause I don't hear anything. My focus has gotten far narrower, albeit more precise. When I'm in my groove, I can do really well in most games I play.

This evolution in myself and my own mannerisms (from someone who had very poor hand-eye coordination when he started gaming as a kid, and was simply awful), makes me more aware of what others deal with and what hurdles they may experience.

So cudo's for knowing who you are, op. That's my top priority. You can bs everyone else, but don't bs yourself.

Secondly, keep trying to make those social connections. As you can see from this very post and it's replies, there are many gamers willing to accept you for who you are and how you play.

And finally, hit me up in game if you are looking for some fun. @lobo0084. Good or bad, as long as you've got a personality, I can usually deal.

/salute
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Grayaxeb14_ESO
    I will never understand some people, it's just a video game people need to relax. I'd rather the other players in my group be fun and cool to explore/fight with, rather then get angry when they die.

I'm only thirty and have a tendency to hit the wrong keys at times, one of the reasons I'm worried about the justice system. Can just see myself accidentally using Bitting Jabs on the stable master one day...

My wife and I are only VR1, but if you want to group or really do anything, even an emote dance fest at anytime look me up name is @Grug. We're always searching for cool people to play with!
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my 60s here as well. Not the best player, no doubt but I have fun and try to stay out of the "we're very important and only want über folks in our vicinity" sorts. They seem so very, very intense and uptight, I do hope they are having more fun than it seems they are.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're making better connections here from reasonable folks than you would have from some blowhard that thinks they're better than everyone else.

My husband and I have chars in every faction on NA server, are super casual and are always looking for fun folks to run dungeons and dolmens with. We have chars ranging from newly created to vr1.

Hit me up @sylviermoone‌ .

Cheers!
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    Ignore the tryhards who think they're better than everyone, he had no right/reason to insult you like he did.
    I've entered dungeon groups where I've been kicked for stupid reasons (e.g. I've been kicked for being a sorc healer rather than templar) and I've heard of even worse, such as dps being kicked for using a bow >.>

Often people just want someone to blame for their failures.

heheh kicked for being a sorcs healer, the once that did that are the true noobs:

My resume of being a sors healer as second weapon:

Healed Shada Tear (Craglorn hardest 4 man dungeon)
    Healed Crypt of hearts (vr12 hardest 4 man veteran dungeon)
    Healed 2nd and 4th boss in AA trails

So anyone saying sorcerers cant heal, dont know the game so well as they think :)

back 2 topic, first I think you are amazing coming here to express your feelings in the matter you do it, an apology for me is not needed what so ever, its the kid that insulted you that should start thinking about the game as a mmo and not a single player game.

• rbenkepub19_ESO
    rbenkepub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 49, and even at my age I can't compete with the reflexes of a 15-year-old. I've been insulted and yelled at more times than I can count, in this game and in many others. I just ignore it and go about my day. You can't let that kind of thing bother you. You have just as much right to be here as anyone else.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most fun I have had so far in this game was when four absolutely clueless people, myself included, tried to do Selene's Web a dozen times and failed miserably each time. We died horribly and shamefully on most encounters before we slowly learned, or sometimes just got lucky, and we laughed.

The point of this game is to have fun, not to treat it like a job. Some people just fail to understand that, and I stay away from them. Fortunately, the majority of players in ESO seem to be nice people.

To make an analogy, I like to ride my bike from time to time for leisure. If someone on the road told me that my posture, pedalling and breathing technique sucked and that I should not be allowed on a bicycle because I will never be fast enough to compete, I would rightfully tell them that their elitism was misplaced, insulting and pathetic, ask them to understand that not everyone has the time, desire or ability to become a professional cyclist, and remind them that most people ride a bike for entirely different reasons.

Keep sucking. Have fun. Hope to meet you in the game some time.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'll admit it. I am not only 68, myself, but I'm a woman and Mom who took up RPGs with Morrowind in 2007. Other than a brief, and unsatisfactory, foray into LOTRO last year, this is my first MMO. Though I do try to help at dolmens, I otherwise try to just stay out of people's way and do things my way which is slowly and carefully since I hate to die.

Don't let the turkeys get you down.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm 53, nearly 54 and my reflexes are no where near what they use to be. Don't worry about it and just have fun. There will always be stupid people who think they're elite, just ignore them. I'm playing AD on NA server. Right now I'm in Cryodiil collecting sky shard, but I'll be more then happy to jump back to the rest of the world to help out with dungeons, etc. Just message me @starlizard70.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on August 5, 2014 8:19PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    Anyone that would get bent out of shape over an error in a video game is probably not someone you'd want to maintain a relationship with.

This, oh so much this. I'm not your age but I still hit the wrong button ALL the time. And I don't even have the excuse of age, a medical condition or - most of the time - not even intoxication.

I guess I just suck at the game. :(
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Breg_Magol
    Breg_Magol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stick at it pal. I'll group with you anytime. But be prepared ... I'm probably suckier than you!
    We should all group up us oldies ... Feel free to friend me @Breg_Magol‌ .. Cheerio!
  • Aenra
    Aenra
    ✭✭✭✭
    i had my own humbling experience yesterday, so i can definitely relate to all this :)

kudos to you for being so up front with this
    Pride, honour and purity
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a guild in the future called Old Hagz :)

• kassandratheclericb14_ESO
    Well I am in my 40s and I never was the best of the best and my dexterity has also seen better days (thank you diabetes!). I play this (and all games) for fun. If someone doesn't think I am up to par, so be it. I can't fix stupid.

Though if my children ever show those kinds of manners to someone in a game or anywhere else...I suppose my dexterity may get a workout. ;P
    Edited by kassandratheclericb14_ESO on August 5, 2014 10:29PM
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole idea of internet anonymity is really the driving factor behind people being just general pieces of trash to one another.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT