The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Video of various lag and fps issues. (updated with new video)

Hypertionb14_ESO
Hypertionb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
to help investigate the issues, i decided to record this video of the issues i have been encountering in the game... it is 14 minutes long.. at the start the FPS was 30+. by the end it had dropped to 5-6..

It clearly shows the various ability and animation lag issues that have plagued me horribly since 1.2.4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBODxoIwzM&feature=youtu.be

please note this topic is for customer service support.

UPDATE:

recorded gameplay with sound turned off, showing improvement with ability lag and lack of FPS drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7FdN9jn6Cs&feature=youtu.be
Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on July 4, 2014 12:10PM
I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • tom.danhelb16_ESO
    Welcome to my world. Already made post here but this is exactly the same thing that is happening to me. I discovered that If you turn particle effects off the fps lag is gone, so it is definitely something with abilities animation that is causing this.
    Edited by tom.danhelb16_ESO on July 2, 2014 4:41PM
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should at least have the decency to credit us until this is fixed. I can't even play the game right now. My experience is even worse than this.
  • superfluke
    superfluke
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is worse too, when I log on fresh my Inner Light takes about three or four seconds to show up, yours was fairly quick after casting at beginning of vid.

Somrthing new I noticed this morning: the framerate was proportionate to my speed, if I slowed it would slightly catch up and if I stopped completely it would recover. The instant I started moving it degraded.
    Do you even backstory, bro?
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    superfluke wrote: »
    Mine is worse too, when I log on fresh my Inner Light takes about three or four seconds to show up, yours was fairly quick after casting at beginning of vid.

Somrthing new I noticed this morning: the framerate was proportionate to my speed, if I slowed it would slightly catch up and if I stopped completely it would recover. The instant I started moving it degraded.

Depending on the situaition, that innerlight cast can take 3-4 sec for me too...

it was plesently fast in that video, which made me laugh all the more when that first salvo of Relective lights launched delayed in a volley....

i have noticed that CPU use goes from 20-30% when i am standing to 60+ when i start moving.. that's a interesting thing to point out..
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is really good example even my is worse I can't see any effect texture animation ...
    Edited by ArconSeptim on July 2, 2014 6:26PM
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world. Already made post here but this is exactly the same thing that is happening to me. I discovered that If you turn particle effects off the fps lag is gone, so it is definitely something with abilities animation that is causing this.
    It doesn't help with effect turned off, it's the same.
  • Arizona_Willie
    Arizona_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, LAG may not be caused by Zenimax / this game.

LAG can be, and probably is, caused by the Internet and the circuits being busy.

While the game can be blamed for many things ... to be fair ... I'm not sure that the game causes the lag.

I'm not sure how we could prove it one way or the other.

The fact that it is intermittent also points to the 'net.

And, the fact that many of us have little to no problem with lag.

I have seen some on a few days, but most days I can only blame the deaths of my players on my poor playing ability.
    If I wanted a Signature I would have a Signature --- but i don't want one so I don't have one.
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    You say maybe solar flares are guilty for this we experience? LOL
  • rotatorkuf
    rotatorkuf
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, LAG may not be caused by Zenimax / this game.

LAG can be, and probably is, caused by the Internet and the circuits being busy.

While the game can be blamed for many things ... to be fair ... I'm not sure that the game causes the lag.

I'm not sure how we could prove it one way or the other.

The fact that it is intermittent also points to the 'net.

And, the fact that many of us have little to no problem with lag.

I have seen some on a few days, but most days I can only blame the deaths of my players on my poor playing ability.

the video does not demonstrate lag caused by internet

it's showing graphic lag

"internet" lag is desync issues....clicking a button and watching the ability go off and register 5 seconds later

"graphic" lag is clicking a button and watching the ability go off but it takes like 5 seconds for the animation to complete, even thought the ability immediately registered

most of the "lag" being complained about right now is due to some kind of bug introduced by the latest patches...causing graphical lag

i've experienced it, but only in cyrodil....where i never experience it before

[snip]

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting Comments.
    Edited by MaeO on July 3, 2014 12:05PM
  • Arizona_Willie
    Arizona_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    [SNIP]
    The graphic lag can be caused by internet lag just as well as any other.
    Lag can easily cause your computer to not receive the commands to make the graphic changes just as well as it doesn't get the command to fire an ability.

Edited by AoifeO on July 3, 2014 12:10PM
    If I wanted a Signature I would have a Signature --- but i don't want one so I don't have one.
  • Arizona_Willie
    Arizona_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    No actually, I blame it on Republicans :wink:

You say maybe solar flares are guilty for this we experience? LOL

• Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    And your post, rotatorkuf, is rude, condescending, and ignorant.
    The graphic lag can be caused by internet lag just as well as any other.
    Lag can easily cause your computer to not receive the commands to make the graphic changes just as well as it doesn't get the command to fire an ability.

Willie, how did upwards of 3,000 people suddenly have their "internet circuits" overwhelmed when playing ESO?

If that was the case, why am I not experiencing any issues between major SQL replication occurring from my office in Bethesda, MD to my office in NY across a secure VPN tunnel? It's the same internet, with much, much larger packets than the client-server comms occurring in ESO.

[snip]
    No actually, I blame it on Republicans :wink:

ignorant

k.........

Edited by MaeO on July 3, 2014 11:59AM
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm as much an ESO fanboy as one can be, but those FPS issues (which are nicely documented in the OPs video) are quite clearly caused by some bug(s) introduced with the latest set of patches, not by "the internet going funky".
    ZOS even acknowledges as much.

personally, I believe it has something to do with the changes to the lighting system, but that is obvioulsy pure speculation and conjecture.

also obviously, ZOS should find a solution quickly, as large portions of the game are currently unplayable, or at least unpleasant to play.
  • Metalingus67ub17_ESO
    Metalingus67ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I too am having issues with skill animations, sound and invisible enemies. All of which came about after the latest patch. I tried repairing my installation and have not noticed any change in the issues listed above. I have also noticed bugs in quests were there where none before. I hope there is a fix coming soon. I miss playing ESO. If any of you have advice I would gladly try anything to get my game up and running again.
  • vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    That video shows the issue im getting tho im not getting that much fps drop the delay in spells and invisible mobs is worst that what you can see in the video.Also sound get delayed.
  • Nickers
    Nickers
    ✭✭
    Bug? Or maybe exploit? I had a pretty interesting experience last night which made me suspicious. Is there even a remote possibility that this lag BUG is actually an exploit? E.g. get the upper hand by lagging your opponents?
    Faction:AD
    Server: NA Megaserver
    Campaign: WabbaJack
    Guild: DCREW
  • Arizona_Willie
    Arizona_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I dont' do PVP but, for myself, I've seen very little lag problems.
    It happens. I've had my Ultimate Ability fire after I got killed and resurrected, but -- for me -- that has been better since the patch.

However, I'm not a real big fan of the game. Sooooo much grinding and no auction house makes it difficult to get materials for crafting.

Buying from guild stores is no substitute for an auction house.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the programmers know HOW to make an auction house so they claim we don't need one.
  • tom.danhelb16_ESO

SET ParticlesEnabled "1" Change this to 0 and you will have max fps all the time (lag is still there). I have an addon that can change it in game and when my fps drop to 10 i turn i turn it off and I am back to 60. It's still not resolving the issue as mobs are still invisible or load very slow.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SET ParticlesEnabled "1" Change this to 0 and you will have max fps all the time (lag is still there). I have an addon that can change it in game and when my fps drop to 10 i turn i turn it off and I am back to 60. It's still not resolving the issue as mobs are still invisible or load very slow.

framerate ususally is stable in non PVP situations... Fraps seemed to be part of the factor that was causing it to drop..

that said thats a intresting point, if the particle effects being disabled are clearing the FPS issues, that means there is a leak in graphic memory associated with them..
    It happens. I've had my Ultimate Ability fire after I got killed and resurrected, but -- for me -- that has been better since the patch.

However, I'm not a real big fan of the game. Sooooo much grinding and no auction house makes it difficult to get materials for crafting.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the programmers know HOW to make an auction house so they claim we don't need one.

the guild stores are basically auction house systems, just limited to 500 players..

the problem with the mega server is that any kind of AH would be horribly flooded, this can be solved by creating World AH instances that players are automatically assigned too and have upper limits of 10k or so buyers and sellers...

the problem is they dont seem to want to do that.
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on July 3, 2014 10:45AM
  • Larira
    Larira
    ✭✭✭✭
    Against the lag, try this please:

Shutdown the game
    Go into the Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live(eu)-Folder.
    Delete the ShaderCache.cooked file
    Delete the UserSettings.txt file
    Start the client
    Set the particle- und shadow effects to maximum. I don't know why but the game runs better. :dizzy_face:

It will not help against the fps drops in Cyrodiil but the overall gameplay may be much better after this.

Greetings
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope it's the same I did this same process 10 times or more so far...
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Larira wrote: »
    Against the lag, try this please:

Shutdown the game
    Go into the Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live(eu)-Folder.
    Delete the ShaderCache.cooked file
    Delete the UserSettings.txt file
    Start the client
    Set the particle- und shadow effects to maximum. I don't know why but the game runs better. :dizzy_face:

It will not help against the fps drops in Cyrodiil but the overall gameplay may be much better after this.

Greetings

i have tried this, again the video was shot after attempting this fix. it was no better or no worse before..
  • ZOS_EveP
    ZOS_EveP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

We had to moderate some comments in this thread. Please remember to stay constructive at all time, there is no need to resort to personal attacks when debating on the forums.

Regarding the issues you are reporting in this thread, please make sure to check this message from our community manager:
    We're continuing to work on the issue causing FPS drops and general game unresponsiveness. We've identified a handful of issues with ability PFX, and a potential memory leak cause. We have fixes we're working on for all of them now. The details some of you have provided have helped. Thank you.

We apologize for the frustration this issue has caused. We want you to know we're still here, and still working on it. We know that an update of "We're still working on it" with very few new details is disappointing, but that is what we can offer right now. We'll continue to provide you updates.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Qumulous
    Qumulous
    ✭✭✭
    There is a program the game uses called Awesomiumprocess.exe running in your task manager and if it is end process. Go to eso.exe and set the priority to high. This did wonders for me and a couple buddies.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be getting worse instead of better. Just this morning I experienced the worst lag yet. Battle-lag, lag while lockpicking, NPCs that I had to wait a good 5 mins to load and running into "invisible" items that hadn't loaded yet. Sure hope they can get a handle on this soon.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on July 3, 2014 12:40PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qumulous wrote: »
    There is a program the game uses called Awesomiumprocess.exe running in your task manager and if it is end process. Go to eso.exe and set the priority to high. This did wonders for me and a couple buddies.

Good suggestion. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qumulous wrote: »

i tried ending that process on your suggestion, sadly it had no effect on any of the issues highlighted in the video.

As for Priority changing... i have set it to high on startup every time i have loaded ESO since i first started playing it on early release... it solved a issue i had with random hangups while playing the game.

i really hope that some Developers see this video, maybe it will help them get some idea of the issues some of us are dealing with..

its easier to fix something that you have seen yourself than just something that has been described to you..
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on July 3, 2014 7:39PM
  • tom.danhelb16_ESO
    It's been confirmed by many that the issue is VRAM not refreshing itself. So no matter what you try we'll still need to wait for Zenimax to fix the code.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reported this in a ticket, sent in screens of my task manager showing the memory leaks on the launcher and game, reported my fps drops and what I was doing at the time it happened and they replied. Said they know about it, working on a hot fix and the work around to stop it is disable all sound in the game. Haven't tried it yet but if my fps keeps dipping to five from 60 even killing a wolf and the need to keep logging out of the game because memory is being used at an alarming rate, then I may have to go mute to see if it works. Hope they get a hot fix out ASAP...ugh... Last night after a bad fps drop in battle with one NPC enemy, my game added almost another gig of memory use in 30 seconds.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    I reported this in a ticket, sent in screens of my task manager showing the memory leaks on the launcher and game, reported my fps drops and what I was doing at the time it happened and they replied. Said they know about it, working on a hot fix and the work around to stop it is disable all sound in the game. Haven't tried it yet but if my fps keeps dipping to five from 60 even killing a wolf and the need to keep logging out of the game because memory is being used at an alarming rate, then I may have to go mute to see if it works. Hope they get a hot fix out ASAP...ugh... Last night after a bad fps drop in battle with one NPC enemy, my game added almost another gig of memory use in 30 seconds.

The weird lag issues of the abilities that you can see at the start of the video do indeed seem to be solved by simply turning off the sound..

i will be doing further experimentation and will document the results in the next few hours.