Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

[GUIDE] Paladin of Stendarr - Templar DPS Support Build (Thieves Guild Update)

James-Wayne
James-Wayne
✭✭✭✭✭
Introduction
I’ve always loved playing god-like roles with immense power of healing and destruction, the ability to take life as well as grant it is very appealing to play so I present my DPS Support build for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. This build has it all for the perfect Paladin, single target and area of effect magic attacks, burst heals and long duration support abilities.

Paladin of Stendarr - DPS Support Build
Updated for The Thieves Guild DLC

12778715_10154734426188782_459840804214888213_o.jpg

Character
This build is about an Breton knight who serves under the name of Stendarr protecting the many temples spread throughout High Rock and Hammerfell. Life was fairly peaceful and quiet till the year of 2E 582 where the Daedric prince Molag Bal initiated the Planemeld to merge the worlds of Nirn and Oblivion. While visiting the Temple of Stendarr in Chorrol, Molag Bal’s forces broke through and stole his soul, whisked away to the prisons of Coldharbour. It was time to fight back the evil forces, return to Cyrodiil to rescue the lands surrounding Chorrol and take the fight right to the heart of the Imperial City!

After defeating Molag Bal and his minions a message was delivered by a scrupulous individual who claims they need help restoring The Thieves Guild to its former glory, a long journey to Hew’s Bane was ahead.

Class
Our class of choice for this build is the Templar. The Templar is the perfect fit for the DPS Support role mainly due to the wide range of skills in dealing damage, battle aids and restoration. The Templar is the only class to be able to pull this style of build off.

Race
I won’t dive into racial choice to much as most will work with this build but if you follow Stendarr, the God of Mercy then preferably choose Breton for the magicka passives, Altmer for the spell passives or Imperial to assist with health and stamina so you don’t have to worry about them.

Attributes
Ultimately you need a minimal of 18k health for most areas but I recommend 20k health so you’re not too squishy. Once you get loads of champion points you could go everything into magicka here but try and keep close to the health requirement first. It’s best to setup everything else (including food buff) and adjust these values last once you know where you need it as they are the easiest and cheapest to move around.

Morph
The Knights of Stendarr don’t take keenly to demonic races like Vampires and Werewolf’s so ensure you get yourself a cure before embarking on their grand mission to rid the world of evil, they won’t be required in this build.

Mundus
The Mage is great for the extra magicka as is The Apprentice for the extra spell damage or The Thief for the critical damage bonus but choose based on what you think you need more in. This Paladin prefers the effects of The Thief over all others.

Food
Melon-Baked Parmesan Pork VR15 Health and Magicka is all you need for the long fight against the forces of evil but you could also use The Skald-King’s Patty Melt VR10 if you thought you needed the additional fat content in your health diet on a lower budget otherwise The Emperor’s Venison Fricassee at VR10 is quite a balanced tasty meal too that also doesn’t hurt the purse.

Potions
This build depends on the usage of potions during fights so I prefer the tri-pot Panacea of Spell Power that grants major sorcery, major prophecy, major intellect and regenerates Magicka. Preferably look out for VR15 versions otherwise the cheaper VR5 version will also suffice. This ensures you can keep up the major sorcery buff 100% of the time during combat however any potions will enable you to use this style of build.

Items
These sets are based on VR16 but most of the pieces can be crafted so its workable for lower levels and achievable for even the average/casual player which is how I prefer to write most of my guides, keeping them within reach of the majority of players. This setup is not meant to be the ultimate DPS setup (it’s close thou) but with what you are provided it does enable you to do all solo PvE content, grouped PvP content, swap roles from DPS to Healer which makes you versatile in dungeon raids and arena challenges. This build is not setup for single PvP and besides, achieving a Templar lone wolf build for PvP are things of legend.

Weapons
Our first choice for destructive damage are dual swords for a boost to our spell damage, with a choice of either precise or nirnhoned for traits on both weapons. An Restoration Staff is our second choice for the art of healing with nirnhoned for the trait and the rare prismatic onslaught or the cheaper absorb magicka being the best choice for glyph.

Armour
We are going with 5 light to get the passives and running all magicka glyphs. We’re also going with one heavy chest and one medium legs for the Undaunted passive bonus, if you don’t have the undaunted passive you can go with two heavy for the most mitigation and we’re using divines on all pieces.

Jewellery
If you have enough magicka recovery then use spell damage for glyph choices with arcane being the best choice for the trait because more magicka means more damage and healing done.

Sets
Kagrenac’s Hope: Crafted from deep within ‘The Earth Forge’ this magical set provides lots of buffs to your magicka, magicka recovery, health and spell damage. It also provides assistance in resurrecting your fallen knights plus with the passives Battle Resurrection and Master Ritualist you get a 50% boost to resurrection speed which is massive! The Templar also has other resurrection passives which makes them the perfect class for raising the dead.
Willpower: Only drops from Imperial City content but will provide magicka and spell damage at the VR16 rate. To be optimal ensure you hunt for these from within the Imperial City Vaults of Bone Shard & Ethereal or wait for the stupidly high prices to drop from Guild stores.
Clever Alchemist: If your ‘clever’ enough this set can be crafted from No Shira Workshop in Hew’s Bane and will provide a tasty amount of health as well as a mouth-watering amount of spell damage while chugging your favourite potions back which is how we roll in Australia.

Skills
The below skill bars are what I’ve found to be a great combination to complement each other, they help the tank roles and they help the DPS roles as well as an entire group plus they give you defensive and offensive abilities for playing solo if you choose to however there are lots of other great skills to use so adjust where you need.

If you wanted to focus mainly on DPS you would chose dual wield on both bars for maximum spell damage with skills to compliment lots of damage on both bars. The healing bar enables you to heal yourself and others against most encounters and recover resources very quickly while helping groups so you can get back in the fight quicker with your damage bar.

Damage Bar (Dual Wield)
Puncturing Sweep: This is your number one damage making machine because with huge amounts of spell damage and magicka this can hit like a truck per hit, four times over 1 second… with the burning light passive and critical bonus it will destroy your opponents very quickly! That’s not all because you also restore health on every hit based on the damage you do!!
Dark Flare: Long range destruction from above which is super deadly in almost any environment. This skill works great in PvP especially when coupled with Aurora Javelin.
Radiant Oppression: Your terminator skill! This is strictly to be used as your fatality move so only use when enemies health is below 35% also usable when you need to reach those trash mobs from a distance like healers and archers. Due to this build having high spell damage and magicka your execute will be doing insane damage!
Proximity Detonation: The nuclear bomb of the Elder Scrolls Online world. It’s now a much shorter grind to acquire in PvP but it produces a massive amount of area damage so will be a worthy addition to your skill set. Simply cast before diving into a mob with your puncturing sweep!
Inner Light: This skill is amazing and can be a key to your burst DPS. It provides you 10% Spell Critical and 5% Max Magicka as well as the mages guild passives. It also now provides a small area to uncover sneaky individuals once cast.
Ice Comet: I prefer running with Ice Comet for the massive amount of damage with reduced movement speed especially while playing solo but check out other options below you may wish to swap in for different scenarios. Ice Comet also provides an extra 2% with the Magicka Controller passive.

Additional Ultimate Options
Crescent Sweep: Crescent Sweep does massive area of effect damage you can keep up most of the time, great for solo content.
Solar Prison: Solar Prison produces huge damage against players and bosses alike plus it has a synergy effect which is great when running with groups. They both do magic damage so pick your super weapon based on solo or group play!

Healing Bar (Restoration Staff)
Rapid Regeneration: This skill is great because it provides a heal without having to target your comrades. If your group is on the move (and they will be during PvP or Dungeon runs) then Rapid Regeneration is much better then Healing Springs. You can cast it a few times to apply a heal to everyone for 16 seconds, use your damage skills and then return to Rapid Regeneration to apply the tick again.
Blazing Spear: This ranged AOE is great to stun enemies and to use the damage over time tick to assist with the DPS. The tanks and stamina players in your groups will also love you for this support so drop it on top of them, friend or foe.
Purifying Light: This skill I call ‘The Punisher’ because it can push your DPS way above 20k when you unleash a number of these for yourself, your tank and your other group members and when it goes pop it provides a heal for yourself when in melee range plus everyone else that’s close enough to one, even if you don’t reach the maximum magic damage so it’s always healing your group. It’s also a great tool to use to let your other team mates know which mobs you are going after or which mobs they are going after, paint the target gold!
Radiant Aura: Provides 10% regeneration to all attributes when slotted and grants additional 20% regeneration to all attributes to yourself and allies within your healing home plus it gets a bonus from focused healing and benefits from the mending passive.
Channeled Focus: Provides a rune of celestial protection while recovering magicka, just keep close to provide longer protection & restoration.
Aggressive War Horn: This provides 10% magicka, health and stamina for 30 seconds to you and your group so is great to start off a fight. It also provides 30% increase to critical damage which is great to finish a fight and when paired with Proximity Detonation from your damage bar watch your enemies melt into each other!

Champion System
The average player according to Zenimax Online appears to have 300 Champion Points so the following will be based on that. This guide gives you an idea of where to spend them so as you get more just keep adding them on or feel free to tweak where you wish.

The Warrior
Start with The Lady and put 45 points each into Elemental Defender and Hardy which gives you three great passives Spell Absorption, Resilient and Critical Leech. Finally put 10 points into Expert Defender which can be found on The Lord tree.

The Lady
Hardy: 45
Elemental Defender: 45

The Lord
Expert Defender: 10

The Thief
Not much here for a magicka based character but head to The Lover tree and put 60 points in Arcanist to increase magicka regeneration and then put 40 points into the magican which sits under The Tower tree.

The Lover
Arcanist: 60

The Tower
Magician: 40

The Mage
The recent changes to the Champion System with The Thieves Guild has made The Mage really easy for Magicka users. You want to spend all your points in The Apprentice tree and you can start off by putting 27 points into Elfborn and the rest of the 73 points into Elemental Expert. This provides you the Spell Precision passive which increases your spell critical rating by 12% and another really important passive called Foresight. Foresight reduces your next skill cost by 80% after you chug a potion and as you know this build contains lots of drinking so they work hand in hand! As you level up more you can start to put more points in Spell Erosion but focus on Elfborn and Elemental Expert in the first instance.

The Apprentice
Elfborn: 27
Elemental Expert: 73

Character and Skill Tooltip Stats
Here are my in-game stats for resources and skills, remember these are base stats and don't take into account things like crit damage but as you can see DPS and Healing amounts are pretty slick. The In-Combat buff for Spell Damage includes Minor and Major Sorcery plus activation of the Clever Alchemist 5 piece bonus without Clever Alchemist spell damage buff is around 3200k which is more then enough for non-boss related content and healing. The current setup of skills with CP provides no issues for sustain, you can see Sweeps and Blazing only cost me 23 Magicka each (I thought it was a bug or the tooltip display but every time I buff it does that) so yeah sustain is definitely not a issue with this build. In regards to healing you can see the Purifying Light heals for 3500k per every 2 second for 6 seconds so that's a 10k heal for everyone standing in it plus you can launch multiple of these on a stack of mobs unleashing heaps of heals for everyone so just with this skill up healing is also no problem with this build.

10550097_10154770020563782_2204804241393077124_o.jpg

Conclusion
This is the end of the build outline for my DPS Support, Paladin of Stendarr! If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the comments below. I should have a video with the build outline up soon but in the meantime thanks for reading, go holy burn some daedra sending them back to Oblivion for the Knights of Stendarr!

@James-Wayne

NOTE: This build will be kept up to date as changes happen.
Edited by James-Wayne on 16 March 2016 00:35
PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont see a gap closer
    also why nirnhoned on rest staff?
    what stats does this get you to? character sheet?
    nice build overall, but im not sure how viable aclhemist will be with potion cooldown
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bfish22090 wrote: »
    i dont see a gap closer
    also why nirnhoned on rest staff?
    what stats does this get you to? character sheet?
    nice build overall, but im not sure how viable aclhemist will be with potion cooldown

This build does not need a gap closer as its not a dedicated DPS or solo PvP build.
    Nirnhoned works better with Blazing Spear and Purifying Light, only marginally better you can go precise if you like here.
    I've got character sheets but prefer to keep things simple to read to start with.
    I've been testing alchemist and as a DPS Support role it fits very very well, insane burst damage during damage buff and as it cools plenty of support and heals all round till the next buff. I've found it to be a very versatile build for lots of different scenarios (except solo PvP of course) but interested to see what people can achieve with it themselves.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated build with Character and Skill Tooltip Stats.

Should have some videos up soon with the play through.

Options
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm would be keen to see the videos, im not convinced on the alcamist yet - can you confirm that the effects from clever alcamist continue once you weapon swap?
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    Hmmm would be keen to see the videos, im not convinced on the alcamist yet - can you confirm that the effects from clever alcamist continue once you weapon swap?

I can confirm the effects continue after weapon swapping.

Options
  • Holy-Dope
    Holy-Dope
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very good setup and if I must say, it's a out of box thinking. My main DPS is a Templar and after going through the whole build above . Here are my observations-

1. In my DPS setup I've 2 options. 5 Julianos +3 arch Mage +1 kena with dual wield or replace arch Mage with 3 Toureg. Only difference is Magica recovery of arch Mage vs health bonus from Toureg. Now considering that if I switch 3 body parts of Toureg with 3 CA i loose 1 spell damage but gain 1 extra health which is never bad but then In the offbar I keep another 2 pc of CA and at the beginning of fight buff with 646 spell damage for 45 sec which equals to 646/3= 215 avg spell damage vs 129 from my previous setup and during the execute I get 646-129= 517 spell damage which surpasses even 2 pc kena buff. So in theory this is an amazing setup. Definitely going to try this. And for those who don't have kena or don't have it in perfect traits , just craft another pc of CA and you are set.

2. From the perspective of pure DPS,I'd recommend to replace dark flare with Trap beast . 12% extra crit damage is amazing. I've seen my Z-beam hitting for 52k+. Also in the beginning 2 hard hitting skills I.e. Ice comet and proxy det will give Amazing boost to DPS at the very Start. After that it's a simple rotation of proxy--->trap beast--->4 jab/ La and repeat. In my current setup I keep Z-Beam on offbar to slot spears on main bar as they provide very good sustained DPS while you are doing random stuff like charging proxy or switching for execute or in this case to buff CA, but sadly they have to go.

3. If OP can explain in detail to me how he got 21/23 spell cost on the PS and BS.

4. For the CP if you are at Cap, the best results so far I've got in terms of damage nos from a skill (in this case PS) using 2 nirn honed swords is 74/74 split into elemental expert/ thaumaturge with balance in elf born. If some has got a better result with some different setup please enlighten us.

Apart from that the best part of the build- ARMOUR SETUP IS LOOKING SO *** COOL AMD AWESOME. I'm going to rebuild my whole armour setup again.
    DC- Holy DOPE, Altmer Nightblade
    (And many those who did not make it to the end R.I.P.)

Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy-Dope wrote: »
    It's a very good setup and if I must say, it's a out of box thinking. My main DPS is a Templar and after going through the whole build above . Here are my observations-

1. In my DPS setup I've 2 options. 5 Julianos +3 arch Mage +1 kena with dual wield or replace arch Mage with 3 Toureg. Only difference is Magica recovery of arch Mage vs health bonus from Toureg. Now considering that if I switch 3 body parts of Toureg with 3 CA i loose 1 spell damage but gain 1 extra health which is never bad but then In the offbar I keep another 2 pc of CA and at the beginning of fight buff with 646 spell damage for 45 sec which equals to 646/3= 215 avg spell damage vs 129 from my previous setup and during the execute I get 646-129= 517 spell damage which surpasses even 2 pc kena buff. So in theory this is an amazing setup. Definitely going to try this. And for those who don't have kena or don't have it in perfect traits , just craft another pc of CA and you are set.

2. From the perspective of pure DPS,I'd recommend to replace dark flare with Trap beast . 12% extra crit damage is amazing. I've seen my Z-beam hitting for 52k+. Also in the beginning 2 hard hitting skills I.e. Ice comet and proxy det will give Amazing boost to DPS at the very Start. After that it's a simple rotation of proxy--->trap beast--->4 jab/ La and repeat. In my current setup I keep Z-Beam on offbar to slot spears on main bar as they provide very good sustained DPS while you are doing random stuff like charging proxy or switching for execute or in this case to buff CA, but sadly they have to go.

3. If OP can explain in detail to me how he got 21/23 spell cost on the PS and BS.

4. For the CP if you are at Cap, the best results so far I've got in terms of damage nos from a skill (in this case PS) using 2 nirn honed swords is 74/74 split into elemental expert/ thaumaturge with balance in elf born. If some has got a better result with some different setup please enlighten us.

Apart from that the best part of the build- ARMOUR SETUP IS LOOKING SO *** COOL AMD AWESOME. I'm going to rebuild my whole armour setup again.

1. My thoughts exactly. Kena is great for keeping the buff up but remember skills will cost you 50% more plus it’s hard to get and with the right trait but CA is craftable and yes its only for a short time and you need to use potions which can be expensive BUT you can use ANY potion to proc it at any time, you don’t need to attack anyone for the proc. I especially found this useful while playing MoL recently where by your running around doing the mechanics but you don’t have time to hit twice so chug a potion and you’re all fired ready to unleash that ultimate for the burn phase, it definitely has a place with some builds.

2. Thanks for the insight, I always thought Trap Beast goes well with Stamina builds but it never really cross my mind it would work with Magicka too so will definitely have a play with the idea.

3. This always happens when I drink a potion and then weapon swap. I’m not sure if that is the cause as it usually only lasts for a short time and then resets itself to the correct amount. I’ve reported it as a bug since patch 1.5 days but never been fixed yet so, eh let it go there are more pressing concerns for Templar to fix.

4. Remember magic is included within Elemental Expert now so no need to split your CP across to Thaumaturge anymore.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.
    Edited by James-Wayne on 16 March 2016 06:38

Options
  • Holy-Dope
    Holy-Dope
    ✭✭✭
    4. Remember magic is included within Elemental Expert now so no need to split your CP across to Thaumaturge anymore.

As per my testing if u put 100 CP in Elemental Expert and then balance in elfborn or elsewhere, your skills do less damage than the distribution i'v given. Important thing to keep in mind is, the skills we are using, apart from being magic damage they are dot/ chanel (PS/ BS/ RO) so they all get the buff from Thaumaturge as well as the dot damage from Ice comet gets buff from the Thaumaturge. So you might want to recheck your damage output by simply testing the various distribution of CP.

DC- Holy DOPE, Altmer Nightblade
    (And many those who did not make it to the end R.I.P.)

Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy-Dope wrote: »

As per my testing if u put 100 CP in Elemental Expert and then balance in elfborn or elsewhere, your skills do less damage than the distribution i'v given. Important thing to keep in mind is, the skills we are using, apart from being magic damage they are dot/ chanel (PS/ BS/ RO) so they all get the buff from Thaumaturge as well as the dot damage from Ice comet gets buff from the Thaumaturge. So you might want to recheck your damage output by simply testing the various distribution of CP.

I see where your going with this, thanks for the heads up will check it out!

Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Dark Brotherhood is on the PTS and I love finding new ways I can alter my Templar build and MAN do I have a ripper build that I think I can make work pretty damn good.

There is a new crafted set called the Pelinal's which takes your highest weapon or spell damage and makes them both the same number. Now I've seen tons of comments here on the official forums of people saying its crap for a hybrid build and hey it probably is but what if you don't use it for a hybrid build!?!

Ahhhh.... so I set forth to generate as much weapon damage as I could using standard passives from my skill set and adjusting my item sets ever so slightly and was able to produce a unbuffed 3876 spell damage (previously 2600) and once buffed a massive 5070 spell damage which for spell damage is unheard of!!

I still haven't even added in all my magicka points so it hits 40k or my magicka recovery buffs so once finished I think this is going to be a winner.... shame I may need to craft all my gear again!

13087029_10154946668783782_1903812724006945534_o.jpg

EDIT

Adjusted so my magicka now sits on 39k but I lost 186 weapon damage (because PTS templates don't have Agility sets in Arcane, but I did just buy a set on live for cheap) and now tool tip says 1826... GIGGITY!!!

13094346_10154946778668782_8335317345284764169_n.jpg?oh=e584f35ca2eadc77f38682daded9dd7a&oe=57B312DF

EDIT 2:

My build with 5359 spell damage, see this quick breakdown I've what's involved, pretty easy to make it happen. It's not fine tuned yet but has TONS of possibilities!

It's not a glass canon build (not in PvE anyway) but is it OP?? It's pretty damn awesome playing a Templar this powerful while out of my house!

13123055_10154947920293782_7116608654895734929_o.jpg

NOTE: Says Breton Templar as that is the stats from the right, Dark Elf was slightly lower Magicka but more stamina and not used in the end. With Molag Kena it hits around 5051 SD, so higher with Clever if you don't mind popping potions.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13123055_10154947920293782_7116608654895734929_o.jpg

Expect a revised build when The Dark Brotherhood hits live servers!
    Edited by James-Wayne on 29 April 2016 11:24

Options
  • herris_deviob14_ESO
    herris_deviob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    will we be seeing a one tam revision?
    Options