Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[PS5 BUG] On-Screen keyboard forced

Paha_Vaatturi
Paha_Vaatturi
✭✭✭
The new patch brought a horrible new function. When using an external keyboard and hitting ”ENTER” to allow writing to the text chat, A HUGE on-screen keyboard appears. It covers 1:4 of the screen.

Please add an option to remove this.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on February 23, 2022 11:11PM
  • Ryno4ever
    Ryno4ever
    Soul Shriven
    It's not just PS5 it's doing this on PS4 as well, and it isn't just blocking the screen it also interferes with typing in chat in several ways.
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is very annoying indeed.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm. It's annoying as hell.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for letting us know about this, @Paha_Vaatturi. The dev team is aware of this and are investigating a fix for a future update as this will take some time to resolve.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • MsGurrl
    MsGurrl
    ✭✭
    I’ve gotten killed multiple times in cyrodiil for this. Also, you can’t whisper unless you know the party’s psn exactly. It doesn’t give you the short list option from before or if it does, I can’t see it since my bottom screen is covered by the on screen keyboard
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things happen, I suppose - but it's a head scratcher that it was even changed in the first place... never mind that it will now take "some time to resolve" - It's a very poor experience for console users with an external keyboard for sure. Hope it's fixed quickly.
    PS4NA
  • KT_Fox
    KT_Fox
    When is this going to get fixed? It is really annoying
  • DragonJedi
    Tgis MUST BE FIXED ASAP causing ALOT OF PROBLEMS and we should not have to wait for u to release another update a simple patch would work jus as well and if done correctly it would not even force us PLAYERS to download another 20gig OR MORE UPDATE for a very simple fix
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree this need to fixed sooner than later. Not sure why it will take a while but please put another hamster wheel on it for sanity sake.

Plus take the skooma from whoever’s idea it was to do this in the first place before they do anymore harm.

Stay safe everyone and ZOS please fix the green tree micromanaging :)
  • EpicHero
    EpicHero
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Why will this take some time to resolve?

A: It used to work fine BEFORE the patch, at least for the quick chat.
    B: I doubt that players on PC that hit ENTER get a huge keyboard dialog popup on their screen.

if input from keyboard: don't show keyboard dialog.

There... fixed... you can forward that one to the developers :)
  • KT_Fox
    KT_Fox
    Will they fix this
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EpicHero wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin Why will this take some time to resolve?

A: It used to work fine BEFORE the patch, at least for the quick chat.

Somebody forgot the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy.

Seriously, though, this monstrosity is an abomination. How it made its way into production is a real head-scratcher.

PS4NA
  • Grotleren
    Grotleren
    ✭✭
    Please fix this, it's beyond annoying text chat not working properly.
    PS4 EU Server
  • Bc_bmx
    Bc_bmx
    ✭✭✭
    Is the any update on this, even if this pop up were able to be locked into a different corner of the screen would be functional. It's current state is no bueno.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really hope this is fixed in the next update but no word in over 6 weeks is worrying.

Stay safe and happy hunting :)
  • Paha_Vaatturi
    Paha_Vaatturi
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin, is there a workaround for a functionality that used to work before this new bug/feature? The functionality I am after is linking a guild into zone chat with some custom text.

How I used to do it: Change chat to something else than zone (e.g. /say ). Go to Options>Guild>Recruitment. Click ”Link to Chat”. This will post the guild link to the chat. Change chat to zone (/z). Then, click up arrow from the external keyboard to bring that message back to the input line. After this, it was possible to edit the message to be in a custom format, such as:
    • <Paha-Vaatturi> zone: Interested in a PvE guild? Join: **link-to-my-guild**

This does not work anymore. The HUD keyboard blocks using the up arrow for accessing message history.

Question: Is there a way to manually link a guild? By using in-text code. A similar code can be used in guild roster to show some custom icons such as trial skin icons.
  • Horny_Poney
    Horny_Poney
    ✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    Somebody forgot the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy.

Probably the same person that “fixed” blocking a while ago.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there any update on this? It's still driving me nuts!
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there any update on this? It's still driving me nuts!

Think this is just one of the many things that get lost in the noise unfortunately for console players.

Stay safe and happy hunting :)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is now a few months old we are going to close the discussion. Currently there are no updates regarding the on screen keyboard issue on PS5. You can post in the bug report forum to help provide more details for our dev team.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.