The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game Crash while logging out

Wikter_Bravo
Wikter_Bravo
✭✭✭
When logging out to the character screen or when alt tabbing out while logging out, the game counter reaches 0 on the logout, then freezes. When you try to use task manager to kill the process, it will freeze with the screen of your eso character you logged off on but with no log out timer indicator. I have never experienced it before this patch.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 3, 2022 6:12PM
  • jasonleitch1_ESO
    jasonleitch1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I encounter this bug as well when logging out. Not certain it is a 100% freeze or a very long hang. Either way, I have been using task manager to kill the task. After tabbing out to kill the task, I get the flash of an image on screen showing my character in a different location than where I actually log out (home base Cyrodiil/wayshrine even when logging out in my home or the center of a city). Logging back in does put my character in the correct logout location.
    PC/NA: Pentar Stonedrake (mag sorc) - Undefined (technically my main)
    PC/NA: Pentora Stonedrake (stam sorc) - Death Huntress (NB hunter / speed build)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have posted some troubleshooting for this crash issue in the thread linked below.

ESO Launcher does not close elegantly PC/NA
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • AshenArtifice
    AshenArtifice
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    We have posted some troubleshooting for this crash issue in the thread linked below.

ESO Launcher does not close elegantly PC/NA

That thread is about the Launcher not closing properly. This thread is about the entire game freezing or crashing when trying to log out to the character selection screen. I'm having the exact same issue - I try to log out to select a different character, and when the timer hits zero the game freezes. So far whenever it happens it then ends up completely crashing my pc and I have to force a shut down and restart.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Linked below is another thread that more directly addresses this issue with the game crashing when being closed out.

Quitting the game brings up a 'ESO has stopped working' window
    Staff Post
  • AshenArtifice
    AshenArtifice
    ✭✭✭
    Linked below is another thread that more directly addresses this issue with the game crashing when being closed out.

That one still doesn't cover the issue. There is no box that comes up saying ESO has stopped working. Everything just freezes. No spinning cursor, no greying out, no error boxes, nothing. Just a completely frozen PC that has to be forcibly switched off and rebooted. And it's not only when quitting/closing the game. It happens even when just logging out to get back to the character selection screen. ESO is the only program I have this issue with.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If the troubleshooting listed in either of the links has not helped with the game crashing, please go ahead and open a ticket with customer support for further assistance.
    Staff Post
  • On2wheels
    On2wheels
    Soul Shriven

That one still doesn't cover the issue. There is no box that comes up saying ESO has stopped working. Everything just freezes. No spinning cursor, no greying out, no error boxes, nothing. Just a completely frozen PC that has to be forcibly switched off and rebooted. And it's not only when quitting/closing the game. It happens even when just logging out to get back to the character selection screen. ESO is the only program I have this issue with.

Did you ever figure this out? I get this exact thing, and it seems the longer I have the game running the longer the freeze is. I'm testing it today to see if the minimap addon has anything to do with it but I think it got worse after the last patch a few weeks ago.

Edited by On2wheels on January 13, 2022 4:08PM
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    I got this problem too how to fix!
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is nearly a year old, we've decided to close the discussion. If you need further help, please go ahead and start a new thread in the PC Support forum.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.