Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feb 15 Cyrodiil Test Details

ZOS_BrianWheeler
ZOS_BrianWheeler
PvP & Combat Lead
Heyo gang!

Last year, we ran a series of tests on the Live PC megaservers in an effort to identify potential solutions for the ongoing performance issues in Cyrodiil (you can read the full details surrounding the reasons behind these tests in this forum post). Our previous rounds of testing in Cyrodiil last year concluded with some interesting data that pointed us towards various avenues to explore for both future tests and long term solutions. However, those tests did not provide a definitive “This will fix all the things” solutions. We did find that slowing down calculations on the server per combat action does indeed help with performance, but again, not to an appreciable amount where it could be a permanent solution; more tests are necessary to follow various branches of thought regarding server performance and combat calculations. As such, we will be performing at least 1 more test where we are affecting how much information is processed per combat action by limiting item set procs in Cyrodiil.

On February 15th, we will be disabling Item Set bonuses outside of pure stat gains. This means any item set which has a proc, or condition which is driven by an ability, will have that ability disabled. This includes Item Sets like Seducer, as that set reduces Magicka cost abilities by 10%. That reduction of cost is done via an ability, which has to check anytime you cast an ability if it’s cost should be reduced. Other sets, such as Hunding’s Rage, is completely unaffected by this change as it simply grants stats without requirements.

The full list of Sets which are not affected by this test are as follows:
  • Amber Plasm
  • Armor of the Trainee
  • Beekeeper’s Gear
  • Crafty Alfiq
  • Draugr Hulk
  • Endurance
  • Fortified Brass
  • Grace of the Ancients
  • Hunding’s Rage
  • Impregnable Armor
  • Law of Julianos
  • Leviathan
  • Mother’s Sorrow
  • Plague Doctor
  • Shacklebreaker
  • Spinner’s Garments
  • Spriggan’s Thorns
  • Willpower Agility
At this time, we are planning for this test to run for at least 3 weeks, and will let everyone know when we have next steps locked in.

When this test begins on February 15, we will also be reverting a prior test where abilities cast on allies were restricted to group targets only. This adjustment gave no appreciable gains towards performance improvements, so this restriction will be removed until further notice and abilities which target/can be triggered by players outside of your group will once again function as they do outside of Cyrodiil.

We look forward to your feedback and seeing the effects of this test!

Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on February 8, 2021 9:31PM
Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
Staff Post
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *continues to farm the listed sets*
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if healing outside of groups is possible; is it kind of pointless to keep groups capped at 12?

And does this mean other sets will not work at all? Or just their conditions? Like if I ran New Moon, its just the ability cost thats the condition?
    Edited by techyeshic on February 8, 2021 9:23PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when Elder Procs Online was coined, when Monster Helms were introduced?

*looks at very short list of sets w/ or w/o Shacklebreaker*

Yeah.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 8, 2021 9:30PM
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is shackle not on the list? Its pure stats.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    NMA acolyte is not on the list. Does that mean the entire set won't work or just the conditional element: increases the cost of active abilities

Ie will all the stats work but not the increased cost?

Talfyg’s Treachery is similar as are several other sets
    Edited by thadjarvis on February 8, 2021 9:24PM
  • prof_doom
    prof_doom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feels overly restrictive.
    I can understand damage proc sets like Illambris, Maw of the Infernal, and things like that.
    But if something like Armor of the Seducer counts as a proc set, that borders on the ridiculous.
    You might as well just say the list of sets you put out are the only viable pvp sets for the foreseeable future.

Though I suppose if the test really does show a performance improvement, you could change things like Seducer to just be a straight number set that decreases all ability costs by 10% so that it doesn't need to do the check on cast.
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Shacklebreaker???
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance that double AP will be active during this time to ensure that more people will participate in this test?
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sorts of questions. Your "Feb 15 Cyrodiil Test Details" seems to lack details. Are the sets you mentioned just earmarked to work? Is that how you did it? No biggie if so, just would tell us better how this is going to work.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker should be active
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Will jewellery traits be affected? For example Bloodthirsty
    Also is twice born star set considered a proc?

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Can you confirm this test won't be happening during any other events?
    And will you put this up on PTS for a day for us to confirm things work as expected?
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on February 8, 2021 9:32PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Artorias24 wrote: »
    Why is shackle not on the list? Its pure stats.

Apologies, this was inadvertently missed. Just edited the original post to include Shacklebreaker as a set that is not affected by this test.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Shacklebreaker???

Armor of the Trainee should probably be included as well.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Nyaarla
    Nyaarla
    Soul Shriven
    Do the crosshealing from 15th applies also to other platforms ?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Will jewellery traits be affected? For example Bloodthirsty
    Jewelry traits will not be affected during this test.

Aliyavana wrote: »
    Any chance that double AP will be active during this time to ensure that more people will participate in this test?
    Checking on this and will let you all know.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Rhygam
    Rhygam
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think, only giving double Ap is gonna be enough of a recompensation. First destroying Cyrodiil with Procalypse 2.0 and instead of stopping it adding more and more Proc Sets. The nice thing is, now everyone can see, how balanced this game really is...not. Magsorcs, Stamcros and Stamdens gonna dominate everything. And THREE weeks. At least it looks like Cyrodiil is gonna feel like 5 years ago, only with more broken classes. Also 1st, its not us, its you ZOS who adds these sets. I pay eso+ and then have to suffer through so many tests all the time... Also how long are procsests in the game? And NOW its thought to be an Issue???
    Edited by Rhygam on February 8, 2021 10:04PM
  • Eclipse0990
    Eclipse0990
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What about flat damage stats like war maiden?
    Raid leader for Undead Nuns (DC-EU-KaalWhaterveritscallednowdays)
  • Squeaky_Clean
    Squeaky_Clean
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS: I think also skills and abilities are bad for performance in general .. just allow white non-set armor, and light and heavy attack only. .. Btw potions are also bad, please remove them as well from PVP.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I would assume this falls under the seducer bracket of 'Checking if the ability does x dmg'.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I was wondering, will set bonuses that do things like 4% healing taken/received still work?

Also Oblivions edge should work partly. It has 2 5 piece bonuses, one gives flat weapon damage and should be fine, and the other fills a soul gem/heals you and is not fine.
    Edited by Greasytengu on February 8, 2021 9:54PM
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden tanks in beekeeper's + plague doctor again xD

Sorc best go with amber plasm + alfiq + 2 willpower or another combination?
  • NotTaylorSwift
    NotTaylorSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are u going to confirm that this is strictly a test and has no chance of remaining after the 3 weeks?

If something like this remained will u give refunds to all the people who bought past content with the premise of being able to use new items in cyrodiil, like me. I have even bought the new chapter, nowhere did it say I wouldn’t be able to use new items in cyrodiil :smile:
    Edited by NotTaylorSwift on February 8, 2021 9:59PM
  • Dietche
    Dietche
    ✭✭✭

I would say War Maiden would function like Seducer was mentioned as functioning. Seducer only affects magika abilities, the same as Maiden does. So that would have to proc as an ability too.

<0.02g lands in a far away bucket>
    Guild Leader: Sardonically Synthesized
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guessing Mythics won't be working during this test as well?
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow so no monster sets or mythic sets?
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will we be taking the 50% damage reduction off Battle Spirit then in the spirit of calculations being naughty? >:)
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the test DO confirm that proc sets are at fault with the server performance; I wonder how it'll be adjusted from a balance and performance perspective.

If not, then what is next can they do?

What classes will benefit the most from the testing? Nightblades and Sorcerers?

This will be exciting to see.
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • ExoY
    ExoY
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno could you clarify if other sets than the named above do not work entirely or only its bonus afflicted by the proc.

E.g.
    Can I wear two pieces false god for 1x spell crit, or even 5 pieces perfected false god for 2xspell crit and 1xspell dmg
    New Moon would be another example which was already asked about a few times.

Thanks!
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    There goes Maelstrom/Vateshran Hollows weapons.
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rykoth wrote: »
    There goes Maelstrom/Vateshran Hollows weapons.

About time
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
This discussion has been closed.