Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Is Going On With Mat Prices?

ZomZom
ZomZom
✭✭✭
Some materials are three or four times their regular selling price this week. And just as bad, they're being sold in low quantities many times, filling up page after page on TTC. Heartwood is a good example of this.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The event writs often take heartwood which is eating up the supply. I've just been trashing the writs for wood items as the cost is astronomically high compared to the metal, cloth or provisioning versions. Some people will just pay whatever price is required and do the writs anyway, with no care for the economics of it.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are New Life crafting writs which yield collectibles, and those writs mostly require crafting furniture
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    New Life crafting writs that require like 24 heartwood are chewing up all the supply and driving up prices. Especially because people are worried that the writ hand-in NPC in Eastmarch will disappear at end of event, so they are determined to finish writs ASAP and hand them in for style page.
  • ZomZom
    ZomZom
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight, all. My ability to keep my guild store slots full is really hurting. At least I now know why.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    New Life crafting writs that require like 24 heartwood are chewing up all the supply and driving up prices. Especially because people are worried that the writ hand-in NPC in Eastmarch will disappear at end of event, so they are determined to finish writs ASAP and hand them in for style page.

ESO continues to be unable to predict the consequences of the changes they make...shooting themselves in the foot and trashing their own game? Or...could it be that here are nefarious intentions unknown to the avg player???

Very high mat prices reduces crafting and selling of crafted items (can't pay for the mats...need to charge too much?)...the intention?
    I know nutting....
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    current materials prices are Extremely Way Too High right now.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    material prices change with every event . the event ended and heartwood is already going down in the traders.

this has happened during every event for years now. its simple supply and demand.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    material prices change with every event . the event ended and heartwood is already going down in the traders.

this has happened during every event for years now. its simple supply and demand.

Last time this happened it took maybe 6 months for prices to drop (MM was working and I kept track of it)...then they started up again...ending up even higher this time. Because many jump on the bandwagon and pump up the prices... Some buy mats up when they are cheap...then try to profit when they are pumped up.

Has only happened to this degree about 2Xs so far.

"Explaining" it doesn't make it go away...about like explaining a hurricane by the laws of thermodynamics...then ending up picking up the pieces???

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 12, 2021 11:01AM
    I know nutting....
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    There are New Life crafting writs which yield collectibles, and those writs mostly require crafting furniture

Translation: the devs have decided that the rich/long term/heavy trader types are the folks currently being catered to.

Or (alternate translation): the devs have somehow failed to notice that this is what is happening.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erliesc wrote: »

Last time this happened it took maybe 6 months for prices to drop (MM was working and I kept track of it)...then they started up again...ending up even higher this time. Because many jump on the bandwagon and pump up the prices... Some buy mats up when they are cheap...then try to profit when they are pumped up.

"Explaining" it doesn't make it go away...about like explaining a hurricane by the laws of thermodynamics...then ending up picking up the pieces???

[snip]

mundane runes skyrocketed to 100k per stack during the event before this one --- they have since dropped to 50-60k a stack --this took a few weeks, not months.

maybe its different on xbox but i remember a ton of different mats going higher and eventually coming back down - i remember temps and was and rosin going for 20k each during one event.

the market fluctuates and as i already said heartwood is already dropping in traders.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Events always do this. Wait until the anniversary event. Motif prices will be cut in half...or more.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Explaining the phenomenon doesn't make it go away any more than explaining that "We're in the middle of hurricane season" makes hurricanes go away.

For housing mats, we're finishing up:
    ZOS releasing a big house for the Greymoor Event
    New Life Crafting writs

Of course demand spiked. Of course players who noted that its hurricane season a high demand time for housing mats cashed in
    This is entirely predictable, like the water getting warmer and fueling more, stronger hurricanes. For the second year, ZOS released a big house. For the second year in a row, ZOS required housing mats for new life writs. The impact on the market is predictable: the worst time to buy housing mats cheaply is the same time that everyone else wants to buy housing mats to furnishing their big Chapter house or to do their New Life writs.

What could ZOS do to stop the predictable annual spike in demand for housing mats?
    Simple.
    Don't release a giant house for all players who bought the new chapter.
    Don't require housing mats for event writs.

Are they going to do that?
    I dunno. They seem to like it.
    But if you don't like predictable annual price spikes in housing mats, its something to consider that ZOS is driving this player demand through their event rewards.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

mundane runes skyrocketed to 100k per stack during the event before this one --- they have since dropped to 50-60k a stack --this took a few weeks, not months.

maybe its different on xbox but i remember a ton of different mats going higher and eventually coming back down - i remember temps and was and rosin going for 20k each during one event.

the market fluctuates and as i already said heartwood is already dropping in traders.

Back around 2016-17 on XB-NA tempering alloy were selling at 25k/ea all day long and wasn't tied to any event. This lasted about 8-12 months if I recall. Seemed like it only died down once Homestead was introduced and more people started farming in order to get furnishing mats I guess.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wondered if mundane rune prices had gone up. I swear I’ve been seeing the single bots with volatile familiars farming the enchanting nodes and I’ve never seen that in many years of farming mats.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if mundane rune prices had gone up. I swear I’ve been seeing the single bots with volatile familiars farming the enchanting nodes and I’ve never seen that in many years of farming mats.

Yes I used to always skip those, now I'll stop in the middle of something and get off my mount to grab them lol.

Change is not a bad thing. More like the opposite.

I can never tell if people who say things like "in-game things are too expensive for me, the devs did something wrong" expect to be taken seriously. I certainly hope not.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are seriously complaining about natural fluctuations in prices due to entire predictable changes in supply and demand? Really?

Wait until I tell you about real life economy.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So much for jewellery mat prices coming down,120k for gold plating now on pc-eu.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On XB NA, dreugh wax has fallen to 5k each. I can sell alloy for around 8k. Haven't sold rosin in a few weeks, but last I did, it was around 8k.

I don't sell much on PC, but last time I sold gold mats, I sold wax for around 8-9k, with alloy around 4-5k, and rosin at 3-4k. IIRC.

It's just weird to me that prices are basically flipped, with rosin going usually for the most on XB, but the least on PC.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on January 13, 2021 10:03PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes I used to always skip those, now I'll stop in the middle of something and get off my mount to grab them lol.

Change is not a bad thing. More like the opposite.

I can never tell if people who say things like "in-game things are too expensive for me, the devs did something wrong" expect to be taken seriously. I certainly hope not.

I guess what I was trying to say is when bots were bad at least you could get something from enchanting nodes. Not necessarily the case now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RedMuse wrote: »
    People are seriously complaining about natural fluctuations in prices due to entire predictable changes in supply and demand? Really?

Except it's not supply and demand. There is plenty of supply to meet the demand. I think what we might have is people going around sucking up anything below a threshold and relisting it for a much higher price. We have an influx of new players and with crown to gold trading, A new player can become wealthy by using start up capital created from crown:gold trading. In other games, especially ones with auction houses, this is a normal way to control ( and break) the market. Those same players may have infected our trade system.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except it's not supply and demand. There is plenty of supply to meet the demand. I think what we might have is people going around sucking up anything below a threshold and relisting it for a much higher price. We have an influx of new players and with crown to gold trading, A new player can become wealthy by using start up capital created from crown:gold trading. In other games, especially ones with auction houses, this is a normal way to control ( and break) the market. Those same players may have infected our trade system.

Not in regards to OP's complaint. It was a very predictable change in prices of things like heartwood at the time of an event where the demand for heartwood took a sharp rise but there is not a similar significant increase in supply.

And I'd love a source for your claim, brcause it sounds like complete specualtion based on spurious theories. Further what is your idea of wealthy, because people have very different ideas about what wpthat means. And crown:gold exchange doesn't generate gold, it just reallocate what already exists, not all that dissimilar from a guild trader.

Quite honestly, you seem to have little to no graps on economy or how wealth (and gold in general) is generated,
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭

My guess is that with the recent "gift" of 200K (?) the perpetuators [snip] started buying up any low priced mats and then doubling or tripling the price. This is "speculation" vs any kind of value added activity.

There are endless denialists who will explain it away...mentioning "supply and demand"...blah...blah...blah... Heads up butts?

Since those running the game didn't want to deal with the issue...the game's economy is now trashed. Not only didn't they want to deal with the issue...they started the ball rolling with the master writs...

I really don't care that much about the issue at this point...I have enough game gold accumulated that I can weather this mess and probably the next few messes...

[Edited to remove Naming and Shaming]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 9, 2021 6:58PM
    I know nutting....
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How do you buy billions in gold of mats with only 200k? And then physically go to 200 guild traders to control the market? Gotta work on that conspiracy theory a little better next time.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

so time for me to sell all my HEARTWOOD? ;)
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that with the recent "gift" of 200K (?) the perpetuators [snip] started buying up any low priced mats and then doubling or tripling the price. This is "speculation" vs any kind of value added activity.

There are endless denialists who will explain it away...mentioning "supply and demand"...blah...blah...blah... Heads up butts?

Since those running the game didn't want to deal with the issue...the game's economy is now trashed. Not only didn't they want to deal with the issue...they started the ball rolling with the master writs...

I really don't care that much about the issue at this point...I have enough game gold accumulated that I can weather this mess and probably the next few messes...

AUCTION HOUSE like all other MMOs...
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 9, 2021 6:59PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

AUCTION HOUSE like all other MMOs...

No, because then people could actually control the market and the problem would be much worse.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 9, 2021 6:59PM
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

should have sold it a month ago --- its back down to 45-50k per stack now. which happens after every event but people would rather say it is a conspiracy set forth by the shadow establishment to control the virtual economy.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    How do you buy billions in gold of mats with only 200k? And then physically go to 200 guild traders to control the market? Gotta work on that conspiracy theory a little better next time.

Not sure if what I see when I visit a guild trader is the same that everyone else sees ("they" could have an algorithm that specifically modifies what each player sees... that would explain the ignorance seen?)...but...at every trader I visit..I see the same thing...way overpriced mats for sale.

And at this point it's not just the mats...it's the finished products. I base my selling prices for crafted stuff off of the avg mat cost...more or less have to...since what is the point of making something to sell if you could sell the mats that were used for more?

Heartwood is not the only mat that is overpriced. After the previous run up in prices..heartwood never fell to it's previous level...though most other mats did....after 6 months or so. But then in anticipation of the next runup...prices started inflating a few weeks early.

Next time I predict a mess...

Think about? Set of monkeys see the 200K or whatever coming up on the calendar...decide to capture the mat markets...10 or 20 could do a lot of damage...the motivation being the lure of a big profit.

I do a lot of trading/crafting etc. and have price charts going back a year or so...I visit a large variety of traders...I have INFORMATION...others have opinions?

Pointless to argue about this though...reminds me of the recent political insanities...wishful thinking vs factual based reality?

COVID is a factual-based construct/reality that beats bullpucky every time and did...not sure what the "COVID construct" in this game is or will be...but I'm pretty sure it's there. Wait for it...wait for it....

Pretty scary when you see the craziness people are capable of....
    I know nutting....
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

should have sold it a month ago --- its back down to 45-50k per stack now. which happens after every event but people would rather say it is a conspiracy set forth by the shadow establishment to control the virtual economy.

I love the complaint posts. If not for those posts, I wouldn't know when to post things for sale. I am a super lazy merchant.

I was able to sell a bunch.

I also put some gear improving mats up at high prices. Tempering Alloy sat there for 2 weeks and just started selling this week. I really only sell to make my guild quota and am happy to just hoard mats in crafting bag, but I might as well sell when price is high. Can always buy back later for less if needed.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »

Not sure if what I see when I visit a guild trader is the same that everyone else sees ("they" could have an algorithm that specifically modifies what each player sees... that would explain the ignorance seen?)...but...at every trader I visit..I see the same thing...way overpriced mats for sale.

And at this point it's not just the mats...it's the finished products. I base my selling prices for crafted stuff off of the avg mat cost...more or less have to...since what is the point of making something to sell if you could sell the mats that were used for more?

Heartwood is not the only mat that is overpriced. After the previous run up in prices..heartwood never fell to it's previous level...though most other mats did....after 6 months or so. But then in anticipation of the next runup...prices started inflating a few weeks early.

Next time I predict a mess...

Think about? Set of monkeys see the 200K or whatever coming up on the calendar...decide to capture the mat markets...10 or 20 could do a lot of damage...the motivation being the lure of a big profit.

I do a lot of trading/crafting etc. and have price charts going back a year or so...I visit a large variety of traders...I have INFORMATION...others have opinions?

Pointless to argue about this though...reminds me of the recent political insanities...wishful thinking vs factual based reality?

COVID is a factual-based construct/reality that beats bullpucky every time and did...not sure what the "COVID construct" in this game is or will be...but I'm pretty sure it's there. Wait for it...wait for it....

Pretty scary when you see the craziness people are capable of....

Information is only as good as the context it’s used in. When you continually refuse to accept the reality of events, meta changes, sticker books, less people farming, and simple supply and demand than that information really serves no purpose.

Not to mention the amount of hours and billions of gold needed to visit every trader all day and night to try to manipulate the market is just not feasible. Gotta say though the underhanded insults and conspiracy theories are amusing.
This discussion has been closed.