Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healer that isn't a Healer

Earthewen
Earthewen
✭✭✭✭✭
Am I the only one that gets really annoyed in a hard/vet dungeon when the "healer" decides he/she is going to DPS instead? "Nah, I'm really a DPS. I just wanted to pretend to be a healer."

[snip]
[edited for profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 20, 2023 5:07PM
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I have a healer and run pledges everyday, some goes for my dps. My healer are able to do some dps and I only use it "if" the group have dps issues.

Today I ran FG1 Vet pledge and saw right away, that we had dps issues and added dps.

I see it like - a healer should not have to add dps, that´s up to dd´s to do that, Healers buff, debuff and heal but that´s not always the way it ends in a dungeon now a day´s :)
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not the only one...
    But for me when I see the healer isn't a healer I just smile and play just as I always do...
    When I preform I generally don't run with healers in 4 person content anyways so this is my preferred style of play anyways.
    1 tank 3 dps...
    Heck I even generally wear yolna/olo on my tanks lol.
    In fact most people I tend to encounter play 1 tank 3 dps...
    People each have their preferred play style and such its just the way it is.
    In this case why not try to embrace this style yourself?
    Try to add a skill for keeping yourself alive on your bar and get used to it, you may find yourself enjoying it lol
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run a magTempler healer in dungeon groups. But how much I heal depends on the composition of the group I find myself in. Usually I heal and rotate in a few heavy attacks to recharge my mana and ulti skill. But I do slot a few dps skills in case I have to take a more active role in damage production.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote kick the healer if they do not have any group heals.

I never queue up with less than 3 in the group because I do not want to deal with failed runs. I like knowing we will not only clear the dungeon but will do well. When I form the group I do not have to deal with these issues people complain about in the forums and it is easy to do.

When we do queue up with 3 we merely want to see what we find. We never kick a player because they do not know how to play the game well because we want them to enjoy the game. We only kick because someone was a jerk or idiot. In a vet DLC dungeon we had a DK DPS that queued as a healer. When we asked them if they had any group healers they did not just reply no, they had to be a jerk so we kicked them. It was worth the entertainment because they went wild whispering me comments that showed they were a complete idiot.

So the moral to the story is always queue with at least 3 in your group. You have control and can reliably get rid of those players.
  • sunpoebow
    sunpoebow
    I have two set of gear and abilities for my healer. One is pure healer for serious runs. Well the other is for normal pledges where you may end up with level 10 dds which today was the case. You got to be flexible when you're a healer or a tank in certain situations.

Though I understand where you're coming from and that's totally a different story and I despise it too. I never pug as fake. I also have a dd char and she waits for an hour sometimes.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »
    Am I the only one that gets really annoyed in a hard/vet dungeon when the "healer" decides he/she is going to DPS instead? "Nah, I'm really a DPS. I just wanted to pretend to be a healer."

[snip]

If the healer isn't doing ANY dps they arent doing their job correctly.

If they let people die so they can dps, thats also wrong.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 20, 2023 5:04PM
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »

[snip]

If the healer isn't doing ANY dps they arent doing their job correctly.

If they let people die so they can dps, thats also wrong.

@dazee

It does not seem OP is complaining that a healer is doing dps but that they are not healing, hence they are doing dps instead of healing.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 20, 2023 5:04PM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @dazee

It does not seem OP is complaining that a healer is doing dps but that they are not healing, hence they are doing dps instead of healing.

In that case thats a bad healer. Keeping people alive and buffed is first priority, after that is dps.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dazee

In that case thats a bad healer. Keeping people alive and buffed is first priority, after that is dps.

actually no, its to buff, debuff, and heal. you're thinking of final fantasy :) as usual. you should go play that.
    Argonian Master Race
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    @dazee

actually no, its to buff, debuff, and heal. you're thinking of final fantasy :) as usual. you should go play that.

DPS is the single most basic mechanic of all games with enemies that have HP and therefore everyone should contribute, Capiche?

ESO is not different in that regard. you're free to be a healer who wont do damage, I prefer to actually contribute as much as I can. :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's standard for dungeon healers to have one heal bar and one DPS bar.

Standard non-DPS duties for healers include:
    • Healing (duh).
    • Applying Major Courage.
    • Applying Minor Magickasteal. (At least the healer and tank will benefit from that.)
    • Supplying Orbs/Shards.

The buffs from Combat Prayer are good to add for stronger groups.

But all that leaves room for a DPS bar, ideally one that also has some utility value such as:
    • Crushing Shock for the interrupts.
    • Lightning Wall/Blockade for the off-balance.
    • Whatever group buffs your class DPS skills can provide.

I've also started running a Weakening enchant, since tanks usually only run one full-strength enchant.

And that's all before we consider the ultimate skills.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    @dazee

DPS is the single most basic mechanic of all games with enemies that have HP and therefore everyone should contribute, Capiche?

ESO is not different in that regard. you're free to be a healer who wont do damage, I prefer to actually contribute as much as I can. :)

no capiche :) as someone whose conclusion in vMA for not completing it is that they do too much damage, id argue that you're opinion isnt worth much. Healers contribute a great deal to damage in many other ways, as the comment below you talks about, there are many ways you can help a dps do more damage :) ik its easier to say "derp, more damages is good damages" but they have a greater role than that.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol. There are tons of threads about healers not needed except in trials. The thing is that there's large skill gap between players. Some ppl need healer to spam heals like crazy so they can just stand still and dps. They are squishy af and unable to avoid aoes, block, shield, dodge etc. Other players can do all that and dps at the same time. They rather take another dps in group so everything can be burned even faster.
    Personally I like to go with 3 dps and tank. I have got most of my dlc no death, speed and HMs without a healer. The faster everything dies the less mechs to deal with. Yes you may have to heal yourself, no buffs and lose some dps but 3 dps is still better than healer with buffs.
    I know, you queued as healer and we expect bla bla bla. Dungeon finder is not only for noobs. We all take the same risk using it. You hate to get elitist pricks and I hate to get scrubs. If you want others to play your way then make your own group, join guilds and play with likeminded ppl. No need to complain here.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get what you're saying, @Kurat , but I am talking about people who just designate themselves as a healer so they can get into a dungeon faster. LOL I'm a vet when it comes to dungeons and can pretty much survive on my own with minimal heals, but for I still find it irritating when people misrepresent themselves. Goes for trials, pve, dungeons, AND PvP!
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Lol. There are tons of threads about healers not needed except in trials. The thing is that there's large skill gap between players. Some ppl need healer to spam heals like crazy so they can just stand still and dps. They are squishy af and unable to avoid aoes, block, shield, dodge etc. Other players can do all that and dps at the same time. They rather take another dps in group so everything can be burned even faster.
    Personally I like to go with 3 dps and tank. I have got most of my dlc no death, speed and HMs without a healer. The faster everything dies the less mechs to deal with. Yes you may have to heal yourself, no buffs and lose some dps but 3 dps is still better than healer with buffs.
    I know, you queued as healer and we expect bla bla bla. Dungeon finder is not only for noobs. We all take the same risk using it. You hate to get elitist pricks and I hate to get scrubs. If you want others to play your way then make your own group, join guilds and play with likeminded ppl. No need to complain here.

OP's not complaining about phenomena of 3DD runs in general. He complains about people straight up lying about the role they signed up for when using finder. When you check that healer role, you take on certain obligations; if people want to set themselves healer but do no heals, -they- better make their own groups instead, instead of lying and exposing potential newbies to discomfort of running with an impostor.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For most dungeons if it gives Elemental Drain, Shards/Orbs and an AoE heal over time it's enough IMO. Also in the non-DLC ones having an extra DPS is way better than a healer, since incoming damage is negligible.

If I queue as a healer I usually have all 3 gear options available:
    1) proper, pure healer, with buff sets and all healing skills
    2) mix, with mostly DPS abilities and the aforementioned buffs/debuffs and DPS/debuff gear
    3) pure DPS
    I ask the group whichever they prefer, before we start. If they ask for #1 and their DPS is bad, I switch to #2.
    Edited by Asardes on March 11, 2020 12:06PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

I'm more concerned about DPSers that can't DPS.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 20, 2023 5:05PM
  • xF1REFL1x
    xF1REFL1x
    ✭✭✭
    I will que as a healer for regular vet and hm dungeons... but not dlc vet content... (even then it's how my guild usually runs them to save time). It just takes way to long finding a group as a solo dps. If it was quicker I wouldn't do it but I just dont have 20+ minutes to waste every night for one run.

I thought they fixed it?
    Edited by xF1REFL1x on April 7, 2020 6:26PM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I see a fake, I vote to kick, on principle.
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts due to violating our rules around baiting and bashing. Please keep your posts constructive and civil. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake anything is not cool, unless you decide it with others before you go. Biggest problems according to me are: Fake Tanks, fake DPS and fake Healers. I mean, what's ****** worse than being a DD, and the other one is a S&B/2H PVP guy, with a full "dueling" setup of skills? Or being a tank, with TWO such DD's!? Get outta here ffs., get your desired monster set or level Undaunted some other way...

It all depends. Sometimes you don't NEED a tank, and most often you don't need a healer. As high as the damage is now in most vet contents, nearly everything is one shotting you anyway - so what would you need a healer for? Purging negative effects or fast resurrects, most likely.

Ran vet (non HM) March of Sacrifice last night, with FOUR DD's in a random group. Only 2-3 deaths (or whatever) we had was at very first boss, that shield bashing girl - everything else, not nearly a problem. Biggest problem with missing tanks, is that you have to waste so much stamina avoiding high damage enemies, and have less time to focus them for damage, and they don't stay in AOE's etc.

I have a friend who PVE mostly on a magplar, and he "off-heals" us all the time and gives us Shards, but mainly does a DD's job. That's pretty much perfect imho. I have a more or less completely self sustaining NB tank, only thing I ever ask from a healer is an occasional cleanse when I'm burning or bleeding badly etc. I need no shards or orbs or anything, and no heals (at least in dungeons, trials are different).

BUT. It is really rude to group as something, and then not stick to that role. Others expect you to do it.
    Edited by Raudgrani on April 23, 2020 1:06PM
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    It´s pretty rude to saythat healer´s are not needed for whatever reson. Healer´s are needed even in dungdeon´s I se it everyday in non dlc, dlc´s, normal and vet and of cause non HM and HM.

I saw the same as dps and have never become more thrrue now.. As a dps I could rum 3dd and tank or even 4dd´s, but the more you selfheal, shiel you loose dps - of cause this is taboo in some clubs :)

For every non dps related skill´s slottet, dps are lost, that´s just how it is. That end´s in an I all over decrease n dps.

Some player´s need to have a look at, why they need three dd´s in a group. Do thing´s faster ? no time playing ESO ? running content you should wait doing until skilline are level up ? Old gear ? Very little or no rotation at all ?

Why do some need more damage ? Because they have to have a look at their damage and all and not point out other roles not needed.

All roles are needed see it everyday so please stop this. Many have dps issues and should not blame other´s

Have a nice day thx
    Edited by svendf on May 6, 2020 3:51PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    svendf wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a healer and run pledges everyday, some goes for my dps. My healer are able to do some dps and I only use it "if" the group have dps issues.

Today I ran FG1 Vet pledge and saw right away, that we had dps issues and added dps.

I see it like - a healer should not have to add dps, that´s up to dd´s to do that, Healers buff, debuff and heal but that´s not always the way it ends in a dungeon now a day´s :)

How do you fill your time when you're NOT adding DPS?
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

How do you fill your time when you're NOT adding DPS?

it´s above all of it. thx for quot btv
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am much more annoyed by these DDs that are not DDs. Nobody wants to lose his youth in random normal with DDs spamming LAs with their bows and occassionaly hitting with a Molten Whip. Guess my fault and experience, never queue as real tank for random normal.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem might be people who want to be carried through the dungeon and not really contribute to the success of the run. Does this also happen in Battlegrounds?
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I see it like - a healer should not have to add dps, that´s up to dd´s to do that, Healers buff, debuff and heal but that´s not always the way it ends in a dungeon nowadays :)
    Very much this.

I have 4 healers and depending on the dungeon and group dps i may add some dps myself if circumstances allow.
    Some dungeons are so ridiculously easy that mobs hardly do any damage but have tonnes of hp. A back bar with mainly dd skills really helps reducing the time to finish the dungeon.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »

Which is fine. It's your game and you play the way you want, no problem.

Just remember that when you go into a trial and need healers... well they have to learn their skills and get their experience from somewhere.

If everyone just cuts them out on low level stuff then eventually there won't be enough experienced healers go around.

When that happens just dm me and I'll roll a new one and bring him along in starter gear to make up the numbers..
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many times do forum posters have to remind some that, it´s not that easy for new player´s. After all Eso do have a gf tool abused by some people.

But looking from the otherside - being able to rush through a dungeon, skip and, what not - wouldn´t be the case if gf did apply to simple Mmo rules.

In one area gf do comply to normal Mmo rules. That´s when you have kicked the fake tank from vDLC or nDLC. Waiting on a replacement, who will never show up.

PS The healer not needed thing. They are just digging a deeper hole. There are alot of healers (tanks) in Eso - if people can´t behave in simple content, the door get closed.
    Edited by svendf on August 19, 2023 7:20PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

As this thread was originally created in 2020, we decided to close it down. Please feel free to start a new topic on this subject if you wish to discuss it further.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.