Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Selling Carries - Group claims Gina was in their Discord and that it is sanctioned

Stratti
Stratti
✭✭✭✭✭
So, on the NA server and this guy is spamming the zone chat in Wayrest peddling carries for 3mill a pop.

I messaged him and reported him both for spamming and for selling carries. He and I spoke and he said it was sanctioned by ZOS and not bannable. I

Is this the case?

So you are pay to win? $ to Crowns to Gold to Carry

This puts you worse than many other MMO and frankly I would like to know if this is indeed sanctioned by ZOS - I won't name the person as per forum rules. This is an important issue, given that a segment of the game will be likely to convert $$ to Gold for this.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should it be illegal for someone to hire some in-game mercs using in-game money to accomplish an in-game goal?

What are you mad about, the price?
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is sanctioned by ZoS
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    Should it be illegal for someone to hire some in-game mercs using in-game money to accomplish an in-game goal?

So...

Snarky...

Should it be illegal to hire some in-game mercs using real money?
    Should people get an advantage in an MMO by paying for it?
    Should teens who may feel pressure to be cool steal credit cards for it?
    Go and look at WoW what happened after the carry economy took over - completely destroyed end game.

Your 'opinion/snarky comment' is based on the falsehood that they do not exchange real money and that kids don't exchange crowns for gold, those crowns purchased with real $$$.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People can pretty much trade anything in game. Gina has specifically said we can trade items from the crown store for gold. That is trading an in game item for an in game item.

Zos also does not prohibit selling clears for gold but using the forums to drum up business is not permitted. This is not P2W as none of it makes anyone stronger. No aspect of it is P2W.

Also, I see you say nothing about Gina being in their Discord or even what that has to do with any of this.

BTW, I am sure some will thank you. The tend to use threads like these to find new customers.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh please. If players have the gold to buy a carry and others have spent all the time necessary to provide it and can earn some gold from mastering this game's buggy, overclicky combat system, NBD. It's SKINS and MESHES, not getting some kind of material advantage in the game. If they allow crowns sold for gold, this is not really any different.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

As much as I want to believe you, perhaps a source or an official comment.

I find it disgusting that in this day and age a company would sanction this sort of thing to bring real world $$$$ into the endgame.

Love to know... be another reason to be disappointed with them
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would carries be bannable? And its definitely not even P2W. People really need to learn what P2W means before they sling it around. Ive seen it used on this forum dozens of times and never once was the person(s) who were offended about how ESO was becoming P2W using it correctly.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on November 27, 2019 4:54AM
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stratti wrote: »

Oh FFS REALLY? You are going to equate this to a crime IRL? ROFLMFAO
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    People can pretty much trade anything in game. Gina has specifically said we can trade items from the crown store for gold. That is trading an in game item for an in game item.

Zos also does not prohibit selling clears for gold but using the forums to drum up business is not permitted. This is not P2W as none of it makes anyone stronger. No aspect of it is P2W.

Also, I see you say nothing about Gina being in their Discord or even what that has to do with any of this.

BTW, I am sure some will thank you. The tend to use threads like these to find new customers.

He was using Zone chat to do it.

Also if you are running endgame trials , which they were offering at vet HM with titles and gear that would give a very significant advantage both in gear and be able to sneak into other trials using that title. Let's be clear this is P2W and seeing it advertised in Wayrest was too much.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭

I find it disgusting that in this day and age a company would sanction this sort of thing to bring real world $$$$ into the endgame.

You can send crown store items to other people. It wasn’t always that way, but zos made that a feature. What more evidence do you need that zos supports a player driven economy?

Also - Sounds like you’re the one making assumptions about where that gold comes from, not me. Personally I don’t sell crowns, but I still have gold. I also suck at “end game”, so I appreciate that I can hire help if needed. I am thankful you’re not the one who makes the rules, but you’re fun to have around.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also if you are running endgame trials , which they were offering at vet HM with titles and gear that would give a very significant advantage both in gear and be able to sneak into other trials using that title. Let's be clear this is P2W and seeing it advertised in Wayrest was too much.

I was not arguing about them advertising in Zone chat. I just stated you have in the title that Gina was in their discord. That seems both irrelevant and you do not mention how it is relevant in your OP.

Also, that is gear all obtainable in game which means it is not P2W.

I will be straight up with you. Regardless of how you want to try to define it, if this is something you want no part of and would never play a game this is part of I suggest deleting ESO now. Probably avoid any major MMORPG with good gear locked behind the hardest content.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can send crown store items to other people. It wasn’t always that way, but zos made that a feature. What more evidence do you need that zos supports a player driven economy?

Also - Sounds like you’re the one making assumptions about where that gold comes from, not me. Personally I don’t sell crowns, but I still have gold. I also suck at “end game”, so I appreciate that I can hire help if needed. I am thankful you’re not the one who makes the rules, but you’re fun to have around.

Actually once the crown store came out you could have someone gift you a house through tickets but basically only those big ticket items I believe or else they wouldn't answer the ticket way before the crown trading option came in
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the culture where people charge for carries.

Didn't like it in WoW, don't like it in any game.

Someone once bought me a carry in WoW, shortly before I started raiding, without me knowing that is what he had done (I was geared sufficiently, so I just thought a group needed a replacement player) and then, afterwards, acted like "Well, you must be OK with it, now, right? As you were carried.".

Um, no, still not OK with it, sorry...
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on since the dawn of MMOs and it wont go away.
    Stop trying to control how people play.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay to win.... a title, perhaps a skin & some random trial gear pieces? So much win for a mere 3000000g!
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The same people have been advertising in every zone chat for it for years.
    They never get banned. When it comes to money, violators are always banned.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • EnemyOfDaState
    EnemyOfDaState
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am in multiple guilds that literally raffle carries every week, why would this be an issue? Lets assume no money was exchanged and a guild just decided to take a garbage player through Vet trials to get him all the gear, would that be an issue? This is no different then buying stuff with alliance points and selling it to PVE only players.
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not against TOS..... As for zone chat advertisement, as long as it's not spammed it's not against TOS either. I have links to a few PC EU and PC NA discords for those Looking for them. Carries are expensive Because it takes a good while to organise and 11 other people.
    Most OwOrated healer of all time
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Actually once the crown store came out you could have someone gift you a house through tickets but basically only those big ticket items I believe or else they wouldn't answer the ticket way before the crown trading option came in

I’ve been here since beta but have taken breaks from time to time, so you’ll have to forgive me if I mix up my timeline here. As I recall, the crown store was introduced well before housing, and when housing came about I don’t recall being able to gift a house. Even if you could my point stands - gifting crown items wasn’t possible initially, then it was made possible.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heelie wrote: »
    It's not against TOS..... As for zone chat advertisement, as long as it's not spammed it's not against TOS either. I have links to a few PC EU and PC NA discords for those Looking for them. Carries are expensive Because it takes a good while to organise and 11 other people.

Oh yes. Even with a core group running at scheduled times it can take a bit to form up.

This is merely a service. For various reasons some people focus on other aspects of the game and do not want to stress about putting in the effort to raid the hardest content but are interested in experiencing it. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone interested benefits.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't make it a good thing.

The more people can charge for carries, the less incentive there is for them to help players, who want to raid/do trials, learn to do them for free.

Everything ends up locked behind a transaction, with virtually the only people progressing for free being those who already knew the people they play with in real life.

This is what was happening in WoW - almost no guild was recruiting and almost everyone was trying to charge the players, they had intentionally kept down, to experience raids.

Only thing that saved the game from it was LFR and then Flex (which was a level between LFR and Normal) and yet, some guilds still tried to continue with the carry culture.

I think this was also part of the problem players, from these guilds, had with LFR - that it wasn't locking enough players out of raiding for their liking, meaning they were less likely to resort to paying for carries.

The whole thing is perverse and damages games.
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 27, 2019 5:23AM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

I’ve been here since beta but have taken breaks from time to time, so you’ll have to forgive me if I mix up my timeline here. As I recall, the crown store was introduced well before housing, and when housing came about I don’t recall being able to gift a house. Even if you could my point stands - gifting crown items wasn’t possible initially, then it was made possible.

You could, I've been here since Alpha / Beta as well and yes the crown store came out pretty much half a year or so before the housing came out if I remember just been way to long don't exactly know when but yes you could have had someone send a ticket in for a big priced item IE: House to have it transferred from one account to another
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could throw cash at ZOS for perfected gear, that’s P2W. There’s no valid argument to be made against that.

Being able to pay cash for gold for a carry to get perfected gear is at least a player-driven process. So far that’s the ONLY thing that makes what’s essentially a cash -> BiS gear pipeline not P2W. Take out the player element, and it absolutely is P2W.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carry culture doesn’t stop you from leading your own raids.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Doesn't make it a good thing.

The more people can charge for carries, the less incentive there is for them to help players, who want to raid/do trials, learn to do them for free.

Hate to break it to you but many top raiders help other players, other guilds and teams get their clears without charging. Just in the forums I know Alcast, Woeler and others have been happy to answer questions, even via PM. I used to run a few times a week with training groups including leading some. I cannot begin to count how many of those groups has player getting their first clear. It is not fun wiping on content time after time when you can clear it easily, but it is worthy.

So players still help other players. Just some are more willing to put forth the effort and others to put forth the gold.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, on the NA server and this guy is spamming the zone chat in Wayrest peddling carries for 3mill a pop.

I messaged him and reported him both for spamming and for selling carries. He and I spoke and he said it was sanctioned by ZOS and not bannable. I

Is this the case?

So you are pay to win? $ to Crowns to Gold to Carry

This puts you worse than many other MMO and frankly I would like to know if this is indeed sanctioned by ZOS - I won't name the person as per forum rules. This is an important issue, given that a segment of the game will be likely to convert $$ to Gold for this.

Dude 3 milion is so cheap and so easy to make without selling crown, I don't even have a single clue what are you overreacting for. Let people do what they want, like geez. Some people don't have the time or ability to do hard content, this allows them to get their achievements.

Please be more considerate.
  • Shievarei
    Shievarei
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty much the same as paying someone to craft you gear imo. Got nothing against it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could throw cash at ZOS for perfected gear, that’s P2W. There’s no valid argument to be made against that.

Being able to pay cash for gold for a carry to get perfected gear is at least a player-driven process. So far that’s the ONLY thing that makes what’s essentially a cash -> BiS gear pipeline not P2W. Take out the player element, and it absolutely is P2W.

I could agree with that. That if you could outright buy the top weapons and gear directly from Zos. it would be P2W.

But some people come up with their own definitions to suite their needs which is why some call buying a clear P2W.

Edited because I misread what I quoted.
    Edited by idk on November 27, 2019 5:31AM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So...

Snarky...

Should it be illegal to hire some in-game mercs using real money?
    Should people get an advantage in an MMO by paying for it?
    Go and look at WoW what happened after the carry economy took over - completely destroyed end game.

Your 'opinion/snarky comment' is based on the falsehood that they do not exchange real money and that kids don't exchange crowns for gold, those crowns purchased with real $$$.

Yes it should be legal. Some people rather focus on their real life and career than spend unnecessarily high amount of time ingame where things only matter from a hobby perspective.

Also... As I said before, it's not even hard to make 3 milion gold, it's extremely easy and in fact inefficient to exchange for crowns,so just relax.
    Edited by Nyladreas on November 27, 2019 5:28AM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If people want to pay in game gold for carries, that’s their business. I don’t care.
This discussion has been closed.