Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeon finder broken

Fiewiel
Fiewiel
✭✭✭
25.11 EU. Took todays pledges, queued for 5 keys + 2 vet dungeons as healer. That was 20++min ago. Going to wait 10 more and than call it quits for today.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 29, 2022 4:17PM
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    Tank here on a 19min (currently) queue for pledges as well
  • 0lbertikus
    0lbertikus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am queuing for random dungeon, but do not find a group AND cannot leave the queue any more. That works as intended?! :trollface:
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, 30 min. Im out here and help relieving server load. Until tomorrow.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiewiel wrote: »
    Ok, 30 min. Im out here and help relieving server load. Until tomorrow.

wth ZOS?

if it can handle heavier queue, wouldn't it mean that more people get matched faster without crashing/disconnecting?

how did it become "people will have to wait longer" kind of solution?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    Guess I'll try again tomorrow... Either have instant queues as tanks or nothing at all for 30+ minutes. Something clearly isn't right.

Oh, and this is on NA. (in preparation for the inevitable crash of EU servers this coming event)
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now the fun part: the undaunted event thread says Gina will post updates about the groupfinder. Today a patch went live with fixes, but yet no update in said thread. Did you take the day off @ZOS_GinaBruno?
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Huyen wrote: »
    And now the fun part: the undaunted event thread says Gina will post updates about the groupfinder. Today a patch went live with fixes, but yet no update in said thread. Did you take the day off @ZOS_GinaBruno?

Nope, we're all at the office today and monitoring. Right now there are no updates, but we're looking into the issues you all are reporting.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • BringerOfOmens
    BringerOfOmens
    ✭✭✭
    From the patch notes:
    Activity Finder
    Restructured the Ready Check component of the Activity Finder to appropriately handle high queue volumes in an effort to reduce negative impact on performance and stability.
    Resolved several edge cases where players or groups could get stuck during points of the queue process.
    Note: One side effect of these changes is during periods of high volume, premade groups of 4 could experience a slight queue for dungeons.

Pre-made groups of 4 could experience a slight delay? Why is that even going through the queue? Appears to be faulty logic in the programming.

• Bloodraven187
    Bloodraven187
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a better question....

If it is designed to handle a heavier queue with only 4-man premades being delayed, why are people queueing solo as high demand roles like tank and healer waiting in excess of 20-30 minutes?

Whatever 'fix' was put in seems to have broken it even more. Roll back the code as it was at least slightly more functional.
  • JPS
    JPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sit in queue for 10 mins. I cancel and requeue and it immediately triggers. Ow yes it's broken. Nothing has been fixed.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I’m doing and don’t know if it will work for anyone else — I’ve been queueing as a healer, at the 2 minute mark I leave queue, restart, instant group. Don’t know if it will work for anyone else, but it’s worked for me.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also did some dungeons with premade groups, less than 2 minutes to get in.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people in zone chat on pcna were saying that they couldn't leave que unless they logged out of the game.
  • Bloodraven187
    Bloodraven187
    ✭✭✭
    All raging aside, of which a decent amount is expected as this is a core component of the game, I also question the QA. these are so obviously found and seen problems that if you tested under load for load performance, should never have gotten past QA. 'Should fix' is not good enough at this point because we are legitimately seeing it getting broken more with each fix. And the only way I can see that happening is if the QA team is not testing the fix under live conditions or are using a gold copy of the code instead of a clone of the live code. That or they are only testing with their own team members and not putting it on any kind of environment with the user load it is supposed to handle. This all assumes it is even being run by QA in the first place, as I am sure many of us are wondering if that is even happening at this point

I used to do support with a company that serviced many clients and we did QA for several more. I talked with them enough to know that if you are testing for a fix with a gold copy of the code (one that has never been put on live servers or introduced into the live code) then you are just asking for exactly what we are seeing here. Things being made worse because the environment on the live serves has been running constantly for over 5 years with millions of players on them. That will create degradation and conflicts in the code and fragmentation in the server no matter how much maintenance you put into them that will not be present in the gold copy. And the hardware itself is also a factor as the server for the live and even the PTS are not seeing loads even nearly comparable, never mind internal test servers you may be using that have 0 player access.

So, given how badly broken things are now, go back to the drawing board and get the QA team working on ways to do a test that actually is in a clone of the live environment, my suggestions with a bunch of bot accounts you can use to load test the finder that covers the server load on peak times. Because I can guarantee you from a player's standpoint that if we keep seeing core game components like this failing more and more or getting more broken with each round of fixes you are going to see a lot of people walking away.
    Edited by Bloodraven187 on November 25, 2019 7:40PM
  • Pitka
    Pitka
    Healer + tank here, we are queued for 11 minutes for random and still nothing. Before the Dragonhold update, we were getting groups instantly. Also trying to leave the queue lags, it takes over 1 minute to leave
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I cant leave queue whitout logging off my character, I press leave queue but nothing happens. Tried changing zones but was still in queue and couldnt leave. First i have trouble joining queue, takes several attempts and wait time (have to try, wait a few minutes then try again).
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also healer queueing for daily pledges, 30+ minutes still no dungeon... before today patch it was max 1-2 minutes for my healer...
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to follow up, we were about to identify what's causing this issue and are working on getting it fixed. Once the fix is verified, we should be able to hotfix it so you won't have to wait until the next patch. If you're currently stuck in a situation where you cannot leave a queue, a quick relog should fix it.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    I read the thread and saw
    I’ve been queueing as a healer, at the 2 minute mark I leave queue, restart, instant group.
    so I logged into game and tried it 4 times. Didnt work for me.
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow after 5 years of full release main features still not working at all. Some high level development here.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to follow up, we were about to identify what's causing this issue and are working on getting it fixed. Once the fix is verified, we should be able to hotfix it so you won't have to wait until the next patch. If you're currently stuck in a situation where you cannot leave a queue, a quick relog should fix it.

It would be nice if tommorow at least premade group could join when event starts - players will group up themselfs - its better to group up with guildmate or chat for group than getting lag and disconnects.

:star: keeping fingers crossed about tommorow event! :wink:
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭

The issue that the dungeon finder doesnt find any match or that you cant leave the queue anymore. Or both?
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least someone had the common sense to continue to postpone the undaunted event. Right?
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    After a few reloggings i was able to queue as normal. Tried to leave queue and it worked. Random normal on healer (NA-server) was fast, under 2 minutes. Tank was instant.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do have to question the competence, ability and, indeed, reality of the ZOS QA team.

Neither of the major ‘upgrades’ produced by ZOS over the last year and, apparently QA’d by this team, could be considered remotely successful.

Guild finder - a great idea and very necessary, crashed the servers, and is still causing guild officers massive headaches in terms of additional work they now have to do

Group finder - totally essential part of any MMOG crashes servers, can’t handle any kind of Battleground grouping and is immeasurably less effective than the collapsing service it was supposed to replace. BG’s are now largely unplayable.

How either of these got through any kind of testing is impressive and an indication of the indifference or impotence of the QA team. How they weren’t load tested before release, especially given ZOS’s record of launching upgrades that crash their systems is lamentable.

I’m not sure what they do in terms of QA if they’re not load testing them effectively and they’re letting clearly ineffective updates go through on such a regular basis.

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know it's being looked into. :smile: I was stuck in a 1h10 min queue until I gave up. Since some guildies were also apparently having trouble, we formed a premade group and queued that way - luckily we got in that time.

But please fix this. The Group Finder should allow us to find groups too, not just to work as an instant teleport for premade groups since we're all otherwise stuck in the queue.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »

Nope, we're all at the office today and monitoring. Right now there are no updates, but we're looking into the issues you all are reporting.

Then why state that you report updates in a specific threat. And then just push an update without said statement about the update? Communication was on the right track. Please make sure it still is. Patchnotes stated specific changes to the groupfinder this time, without updating the thread.

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to follow back up, we published a hotfix this afternoon that fixed the issue of getting stuck in the Ready Check queue. Let us know if you continue to run into this issue.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to follow back up, we published a hotfix this afternoon that fixed the issue of getting stuck in the Ready Check queue. Let us know if you continue to run into this issue.

Works fine for me the whole day. Even as dps the queue is bearable.

• stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not run into the "ready check" lock-up like I did yesterday, but we tried to queue several times tonight and failed.

I grouped with a guild mate, we were tank and healer, both CP810. That group should be a golden opportunity for the group finder to match with two single or paired-up dds wanting to run today's pledges. We waited for ten minutes. No luck. Found another guildie to join as DD, ported directly to FG2 and CoH2 and ran them with a group of three. Guildie did not want to run the DLC pledge on three, so he left after we waited for a fourth member for another ten minutes in the queue for nLoM.

Queued again as tank and healer and waited for several minutes, until we finally left the queue ticking and ported to the dungeon - if nothing else to wait in a more scenic environment and to have a few laughs before restarting with a full group. As a tank and a healer, we certainly didn't do an impressive amount of damage, but we progressed without wiping. In the end, we finished Lair of Maarselok without the queue (still ticking) ever offering us a group. I didn't time the run, but I reckon it took us at least 45 minutes with our rather mediocre combined dps skills.

Agreed, I had quite a bit of fun doing that healer+tank run with a friend, but I'd rather not do it again. It also seemed like kind of a waste of a tank and a healer not to be joined by any DDs. This was on PC-EU, prime time around 18.30 to 19.30.

I'd say it looks very much as if the group finder is still failing under pressure.
This discussion has been closed.