Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Horrible audio issues with most recent update

XenoAlbedo
XenoAlbedo
✭✭
Anybody else having this problem or is it just me? It's been cutting out like crazy.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Have noticed this as well.
  • Maggi12
    Maggi12
    ✭✭✭
    what is exactly the problem?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @XenoAlbedo

Could you go into more detail regarding your audio issue?

Our audio troubleshooting FAQ linked below has some steps you can take that can help with sound issues in ESO.

How do I fix sound issues on PC?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • XenoAlbedo
    XenoAlbedo
    ✭✭
    The most glaring of the audio issues was that the music would most noticeably cut out compared to everything else. Other sound effects would too, but I could not discern a pattern for which type would cut out or when they would cut out. Most of the time it would just be dead silent. The periods with missing audio could last for several seconds to several minutes. Disabling addons, restarting, updating drivers, and repairing the game didn't help yesterday, but the problem does seem to have resolved itself today.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just started searching as I thought my audio sounded weird as well since this week. It sounds as if there was a surround effect applied to the audio. It's not Windows 10's built in spatial sound, since ESO is the only game showing that odd behaviour (the audio from my MP3 player as well as from another game sounds normal, just ESO is sounding odd).

This week saw both an ESO update and a Windows 10 update, so I'm not sure which to blame.

I have a Soundblaster Zx soundcard (also checked there, speakers are set to Stereo, with no surround effect enabled).
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: just found how to "fix" the audio.

yrk73f6fcboa.png

If I disable the Audio Enhancement option, then my ESO audio returns to normal.

Was anything changed in this week's patch related to audio which might accidentally apply an effect to the ESO audio output?
  • DLM
    DLM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was my recent Windows update that screwed up my sound too but it is only with ESO and judging by this thread that might be the game itself.

I have noticed that audio spatialisation is now super weird. It is very blatant when running dungeons where you have NPCs talking, when running past them you can barely hear their voice once they are behind you. My mount's footsteps are also very loud.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this too. Problems started at about 14:30 UTC 11th September directly after the latest Windows 10 update was installed on my PC.

Both live EU PC and PTS are affected in the same way.

I have a stereo sound bar (2 speakers) installed as the only sound device on my PC, running off a Realtek card.
    ESO audio output now appears to be tailored for 5+ speaker surround sound, so some of the audio just goes missing. e.g. NPC's talking outside of dialogue are completely muted as soon as the direction the camera is facing places them behind the point of view (when in 3rd person). In 1st person view everyone behind my character is muted.

It has also affected the sound balance. The voices of NPC's outside of dialogue are noticeably louder than inside dialogue. Disembodied voices are louder still. My own character's /shout emote is now barely audible.

Nothing I have tried yet has made any difference. Disabled and re-enabled the device as advised in the help link you posted.
    Gone right through my windows system sound dialogues ensuring everything is set to 2 speaker stereo, and no other sound devices are enabled. Re-installed the device driver. Run the windows audio troubleshooter.

I investigated the fix @RMerlin suggested, but my system does not show that "Signal Enhancements" option on the Speaker Properties.Advanced dialogue (apparently because I do not have any audio enhancements on my PC).

This is degrading my experience of playing the game. The only benefit is that I can now mute Bera Moorsmith and Stuga just by jogging right past them.

I'll keep looking for other options to try to fix it.

Edit:
    Fixed it. Hurrah!

Tried plugging some earphones in the socket on the front of my PC. A Windows dialogue appeared on the desk top:

9XGyx7L.jpg

selected the appropriate setting, logged into ESO and found all is working OK when I used these earphones. I can hear people talking behind my back and the various sound levels are balanced again.

So, unplugged my sound bar, plugged it back in again, got the same dialogue, selected the appropriate setting, started ESO and all was OK once more :)
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on September 12, 2019 1:20PM
    PC EU
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw a report that this week's Windows 10 update did break audio in some game and applications.

https://www.neowin.net/news/latest-windows-10-update-is-apparently-also-breaking-audio-in-games

They mention a different workaround from the one I found.
  • Shark2016
    Shark2016
    ✭✭✭
    another sound issue. sometimes sound just ends in stuttering (sound loop) and freezing the whole game. happened after just 3 min as well as sometims after more then one hour. happened on crafting station. happened in pvp as well. not confined on any special situation. there is no other solution than torally reboot whole computer. this ddi definitely not happen before last patch.
  • DLM
    DLM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit:
    Fixed it. Hurrah!

Tried plugging some earphones in the socket on the front of my PC. A Windows dialogue appeared on the desk top:

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't too hot on reducing the audio quality, just unplugging, re-plugging my headphones and confirming the audio options did the trick.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Microsoft acknowledged the issue introduced by the latest update, and are going to revert the change causing it, in a new patch probably scheduled for sometime at the end of September:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4515384/windows-10-update-kb4515384
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Issue seems to be resolved here, probably by last week's update.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not resolved for me, but I don't see any update after kb4515384. Least not one related to this problem. I'm still in wait and see mode for now.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe two separate issues, and mine was fixed by ZOS, while yours will require Microsoft to revert their change.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alright, so the windows update to fix the problems that the last windows update caused is finally out. Game sounds much improved now.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • bossonova420
    bossonova420
    ✭✭
    I have over 2500 hours into this game over the past years ever since beta, I was working with support for 3 weeks on this only to be given the roundabout FU when nothing could be figured out.... I have all updated drivers for everything all my other games work perfectly and this happened as soon as the march or april update came out 2020..... I post on here cause I just wanted everyone one to know this I have uninstalled all mods too cause I thought It was them doing it, fresh install and no audio at all.... I have had it up to here about my computer and my computer is totally fine, its the update that is not.... I don't want anymore support as 3 weeks went into the gutter, I have done everything to fix this and nothing no audio like at all and only with this game.... anyways I am switching to xbox one where this does not happen to people who have been playing since beta and are given the run around by support I love this game but people who have this many hours into it should be aware that in one update can ruin thousands of hours put into this game, shame really.... and there is no support to shift all my crowns 1450 of them as well, or my thousands of hours of playing the game or my master crafters as well.... it is a real sad thing that happened to me and bugthseda should be ashamed for doing this over one update.... with no real support for this be warned all who read this, it could be you next.....
  • Sheen
    Sheen
    ✭✭
    @bossonova420

I have sometime the "no audio" issue, for me it comes from the launcher, don't ask me why.
    The workaround for me is to start launcher, start game, and close the launcher as soon as the game launch in the same second, it require a little experience (dual screen help) but it works 100% for me.

This bug and the fact I'm using a VPN to play without random disconnection (PC-EU) since the 24/4 "performance" patch make this amazing game far less enjoyable : /
    Edited by Sheen on May 26, 2020 6:17AM
  • NicGroover
    NicGroover
    ✭✭✭
    Bordeciel dialogues in English with some Npcs in the French version
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bordeciel dialogues in English with some Npcs in the French version

"Also, please be aware that because all of France is on a work lockdown, we have been unable to record the French voice actors necessary to include French VO in Update 26/Greymoor. Because of this, when that update launches, there will be French text and subtitles as normal but only English voice-over for new content. As there are no plans yet to re-open French recording studios, we don't know when French VO will be ready. Please note that in normal conditions it takes 2-3 months to record and update the game with VO for a Chapter."

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57959
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    With this thread being over a year old some of the information may have become outdated. We will be closing this thread going forward. If you are still having a support issue please open a new thread to seek help with your issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.