Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update 23 Combat Q&A

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone,

We know there’s been some questions surrounding some of the combat ability or itemization changes you’ve seen from the PTS patch notes, and we’d like to have the opportunity to clarify and clear up some concerns. We were previously planning for our next ESO Live to focus on answering questions about a lot of the upcoming combat changes in Update 23, currently on the PTS. However, due to circumstances beyond our control (including team members being ill or out of the office), we are forced to cancel the show. In its place, though, we’d like to publish a written Q&A here on the forums.

We’ll be pulling questions mainly from this forum thread. While we'll do our best to answer as many as we can, please understand we won't be able to get to every question. Make sure your question is specifically for something coming in Update 23 and you post it by Friday (tomorrow) at 10am EDT. At that time, this thread will be locked, and we'll post replies in a new thread.

As always, keep our community rules in mind; any non-constructive or bashing posts will be removed and actioned as necessary.

Thank you!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will stam sorcs class identity be looked at?
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the upcoming changes to power surge, do you plan to make the skill relevant to magicka sorcerers again, by e.g. adding major sorcery to critical surge morph?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I like this new emphasis on communication. :) Thank you for the opportunity for the Q&A!

Question: Can your team elaborate on how they balance PVE and PVP together, specifically as relates to the recent Healing changes?

Specifically, in Update 23, we're seeing major shifts in the skills of Healers for both types of content, while Healers play different roles in those types.
    PVE has a specific healer role for group content: dungeons and trials.
    PVP does not require grouping with a healer, but self and group healing does play a major role.

How does the team balance the two very different styles of healing? What are their goals for Healers in PVE and in PVP?
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 8, 2019 3:17PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why has all feedback regarding werewolf been ignored through the entire PTS cycle for Update 23? A lot of feedback has been made on why these changes (Hircine's Bounty and morphs being too expensive and pack leader not offering good utility) are too much. And why aren't any adjustments being made? (speaking from a PvP and PvE perspective)
    Edited by Qbiken on August 9, 2019 7:33AM
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Can we see design intent for all the classes? I would like to see how the devs view each class and each mag/stam variant. In addition, it would be nice to see how that intent fits in the future of the game, especially with passive rework coming up!
  • sozo108
    sozo108
    ✭✭✭
    The ability changes in this update make it less important and worthwhile for PvE trial groups to have dedicated healers, class variety, magicka-based damage dealers, or even to use class abilities. Are you aware of this extreme balance disparity, and how do you plan to rectify it?
  • Dinokstrun
    Dinokstrun
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any chances we could see changes to necromancer bone colossus ult, It just doesn't feel very defensive at all (almost like delaying death) but provides no synergy with other players. Yes I agree the pummelling goliath bash needed to be nerfed since it was over performing but follow the nerf the morph just feels slow and mediocre to use. It feels very weak compared to other class defensive ultimate.

Part 2 - Why was there very little changes in update 23 to the Necromancer given how poorly the class performs in PvP and the necessity of Pestilent Colossus in order to accomplish Sunspires hardest achievements. Myself and many others were quite surprised these aspects were completely ignored.
    Edited by Dinokstrun on August 8, 2019 3:54PM
  • aaylas
    aaylas
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be ooo/ill too rather than try to explain why end game raids consist almost entirely of a paid class, or why I am implementing fairly unpopular combat changes that homogenize the bar setup of every class
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people are very concerned about what effect the update 23 changes will have on the healer role in PVE (especially endgame PVE). The biggest concern of course is that it seems like the healer role will be totally irrelevant for most content and many groups are likely to simply bring more DPS instead of healers.

This video gives a really good breakdown of the impact of the PTS changes on endgame healing based on actual vet trial runs on the PTS:
    https://youtu.be/JoAvIlJ_9eA

What is the vision for the healer role in PVE, and why would groups keep using healers at all for endgame content?
    Edited by UrQuan on August 8, 2019 3:25PM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were the reasonings around the stamina healing changes (overall nerf to stamina healing across the board) and to making medium a viable armor weight in pvp? Most seasoned pvpers agree that the most recent changes to medium armor and stamina healing will not make medium armor an equally viable armor weight over heavy even in leu of massive heavy armor set nerfs.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the improvements to Necro’s tether mechanics in U23, are there further plans to improve the Necro corpse mechanics? If so can any details be shared?

In U23 stamina was given a decent universal stun in Turn Undead. Can we expect to see something with similar availability for magicka in the future?

Necro’s bone totem was improved in U23, but can we expect a more offensive stun option in the future? Warden suffers from similar problems, will Warden see any changes in the future relating to this.
    Edited by manny254 on August 8, 2019 3:27PM
    - Mojican
  • sirpz
    sirpz
    ✭✭✭
    I have two questions.

1.) Why are you guys seemingly trying to homogenize all stam dps classes, you give them different passives but make such a clear path with non class abilities that makes borderline no difference. Do you recognize this issue? Do you plan on waiting to see what comes from it? I understand theres a few viable pve builds out there for top tier. but now it just seems like there one and every other one is inferior in every way

2.) When it comes to top tier endgame gameplay, the past update seems to be lowering the floor and raising the ceiling of overall dps. Same with healing. I understand making healers work but in some cases you're really screwing over pve. the vSO HM poison phase will be much harder, and I have no idea how vAS+2 will even be completed because having those healers throwing orbs to the whole group was such a crucial factor in many runs. All this update really did is even worsen the gap between the everyman and top tier player when although there should be a clear distinction, it should be alot closer than it is. After all these years, after completing every other vet trial and all the vet arenas many times, I still can't complete vHoF, and its going to be even harder now. I just would like to hear a little bit of your insight into this

I do also really wanna thank you guys. Even though everyone (including myself) gives you alot of *** for this update, I still think you guys are phenomenal developers and Im happy to see as much communication as you're giving. You guys put so much into this game and myself and many others understand how incredibly difficult it must all be with all these massive infrastructure reworks. Thanks to the entire ESO team for making an amazing game thats helped myself and so many others.
    Former Guild Master for the Gold Dragon Inquisitors
    Former Officer for the Stolen Sweetroll

The Bone Zone, Gryphon Heart | Argonian Necrotank
    Agristair Theol, Shield of the North | Breton Sorctank
    Julius Tullius Raenor, Immortal Redeemer | Imperial TankDK
    Rhosh the Impaler, Mageslayer | Orc Tankplar
    Blind-From-Shadows, Boethiah's Scythe | Argonain Tankblade
    Darius Countenain, Kyne's Will | Redguard Tankden

... and a bunch of other dps and heal toons

| CP 1300+ | 6500+hrs |
  • mentalyentil
    mentalyentil
    Soul Shriven
    With the overhaul to AoE abilities, what is the intent on pushing players to use world skill lines over class skill lines? For example, the nerf to liquid lightning/lightning splash has rendered it mostly obsolete in builds pushing for max dps output, and further removes class identity from a magsorc, replacing that skill with soul trap and/or entropy. You nerfed many class abilities and buffed many world abilities so that damage output is essentially the same, if not higher, but homogenizes the classes. Is this intentional, or just a by-product of all the other changes?

Additionally, how do you plan to address certain end game content that requires current (live) healing output to make it through (i.e. vHoF hard mode / Lokkestiiz hard mode)? Or do you plan to simply keep it the same and force teams to figure a way around it?

Thanks for your hard work. I hope you and the team realize a lot of people have concerns over the future state of the game because we actually enjoy the game and care about how it performs.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Question 1: What is the reason a set that could not be tested(Zens Redress) because of it being permanently bugged got changed? Certainly it wouldve been nice to collect Data as to how it works in its first Iteration.

Question 2: Why were there no alternatives offered towards Group healing in a Trial context for necessary high Damage phases like vHof hardmode execute or vCR+3 execute without said Content getting changes to how it works? Because Im sure that you had those healing changes in mind some time before Publishing the patch notes and that testing could have been done to assure that all Content that was made with previous healing in mind is adjusted to the Level of healing that you propose.

Question 3: Since you made changes to the searing heat passive in particular, what is the reason that the as you put it "atritionbased class" passive is a weaker Version of the necromancer passive which increases the Damage of all DoT effects by a similar amount without being limited to a single skill line? Im Aware that you plan to do an Audit of passives later but since you took the time to Change this passive and left many others alone is there any reason why above is the case?

Question 4: Is there any posibility of you sharing the Standards towards which you are balancing abilities to?

Question 5: What is the reason of increasing single target DoTs by a large amount but not increasing self healing of Stamina based builds in particular? Surely with increased DoT increased healing for Stamina builds would be in order, especially so since magicka builds got increased healing through restoration staff changes in both healing ward and rapid Regeneration/mutagen.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the combat team planning to shift the main damage type in PVP towards damage over time abilities? Any plans to add more mechanics to counter DOTs, perhaps a buff like Evasion but for DOTs?
    Edited by Pelican on August 8, 2019 3:36PM
    PC NA - EP Solo PvP Player
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pelicaneso
  • TheRealSniker
    TheRealSniker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the plans with Medium armor?
    First week of PTS it seemed as if the combat devs wanted to shift the PvP meta more towards Medium armor/Burst but ever since then Medium armor and Stamina healing has been nerfed each week to the point where its unviable to play without mitgation stacking again?
  • notnsane
    notnsane
    ✭✭✭
    I play only 1 thing on this game: a Redguard Disease Nighblade. In the last year you have nerfed this archetype over and over, and I'm not sure where it stands now, or if it can keep up with Veteran content. The archetype has only 1 or 2 Sets to use, so it's not like I have options. Velidreth got nerfed too.

So my question is, can you make sure it can still clear all content? Can you add more Disease Sets?

It took me two years to have decent gear on this character, and I'm very fond of it. I won't change class, damage type or anything except rotations. I'm sorry for other players if my damage isn't enough, but it won't be my fault.
  • SenpaiNFT
    SenpaiNFT
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was the intent of nerfing the HoT off of Rally and Forward to compensate for the buff to Vigor? If so, why then, when Vigor was nerfed, was some form of that HoT not returned? Anyone who has tried dueling in Medium armor on the PTS against ANY magicka class with these new dots understands just how much the loss of healing from Vigor has caused medium armor to underperform. Is there any plans at all to adjust Stamina’s healing to be competitive with the likes of Rapid Regen and the new DoTs?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Class uniqueness is pretty much gutted this update. With the changes to Turn Evil and Flying Blade everyone can feel like a Nightblade. And with Incap being over nerfed stamblades are currently using DBoS and next update will be using Onslaught. And with the other Stam classes, most of their arsenal is from non-class abilities. The stamina classes in this game feel very bland since their class isn't bringing them much to the table.

Do you have any plans on strengthening the arsenal for Stam versions of each class with their respective class abilities? Or will you be satisfied with every Stam class playing the same way?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP has barely gotten any attention to the point where it doesn't look like it's even a partial focus to this development team. Literally every dlc caters to PvE. Do you plan on changing that? Maybe give 1 PvP DLC per year in the rotation? Or should PvPers take the hint and go elsewhere?
  • Jack_TheImpaler
    Jack_TheImpaler
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the disparity in damage between stam and mag still so large? are there plans to change this in future updates?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Racial balance for stam classes is terrible. Orc is BiS for every class, and Nords still aren't viable for DPS even though according to lore Nords are suppose to be the aggressive warriors, and Orcs are the tanky brutes/Craftsmen.

Do you plan on addressing this at all?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medium armor passives are the weakest in the game. Do you plan on bringing them up to par with light armor?
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an actual "grand design" behind these seemingly unconnected changes? What feedback do you guys take into consideration when radically changing skills around? Looking through the forums, there has been little mention regarding Sorcerers and healing which kind of makes the Power Surge change look like it just came completely out of left field.

Echoing Aliyavana, When will stamina sorcerer specs get a more robust class toolkit? Right now, they have the smallest class toolkit available to them out of all 6 classes, when you take both active skills and passive skills into account.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do delayed Burst abilities such as Scorch or Curse do so much damage? Since they can be combo'd with other forms of burst damage it makes them a little too strong; especially considering the fact that they're both undodgeable.

Do you plan on adjusting them or do you think stacking two high burst attacks at once is fine?
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the context of the Warden passive change? Why address that now instead of during the passive audit next patch? Wardens were not exceedingly overperforming by any means and were simply competitive as a 2nd-3rd place Stamina DPS option behind Necros. Why was that change necessary? The buff occurred only a patch or two ago and was a very solid way to work in a band-aid temporarily to bring Wardens in line until a more feasible long-term solution could be found. Why are Wardens consistently being forced backwards out of the meta?

With the removal of much class identity and the transition toward vMA weapons with same-y skill choice, I fail to see the need to hit Warden's best passive. Currently based on all testing i've seen they are at best the 3rd best Stamina DPS currently, more likely around 4th. That change being reverted likely leaves us exactly where we were, in the 2nd-3rd competition, which isn't unreasonable.

So what is the actual context here? Why jump the class audit just to smack Warden players? Why not put power back into the kit elsewhere, such as the bear, to make up for the damage loss? You're just leaving Wardens twisting in the wind.
    Edited by Skjaldbjorn on August 8, 2019 3:48PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why have you changed power surge to make it useless to most Magsorcs?
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q1: Are their plans to give magden a competitive stun and spammable somewhere in its toolkit?

Q2: Are their any plans to rework some of the dead skills for magden? (ie screaming cliff racer, growing swarm, deceptive predator, expansive frost cloak, arctic blast, frozen retreat, and bursting vines?)

Q3: Are their plans to audit the number of class damage dealing abilities available to magden up to par with what’s available to other mag subclasses by replacing unused winters embrace morphs with more offensively oriented ones? (Note warden lacks offensive options as its “dps tree” has two buff skills)

Q4: Are their plans to revist the topic of frost “destruction” staff tanking? It makes no sense from a lore perspective as frost as always been a dps element and it makes no sense from a gameplay perspective as to have a dps weapon with some tanking passives makes the weapon mediocre in both situations. Their is a large community of players who wish to play a dps oriented frost mage as they could in previous elder scrolls titles or how Warden was advertised in the Vvardenfell cinematic trailer.

Q5: Are their plans to fix the bugs with wardens nature’s embrace skill (namely the invalid location bug and the rubber banding bug) or the design flaw which is the one second damage return cooldown on crystallized slab which prevents the skill from firing more than 2 or even 1 projectile under fire before it expires?
  • Rocket_Surgeon
    Rocket_Surgeon
    Soul Shriven
    Could you explain the reasoning behind the changes to the proc condition for the Veiled Heritance set?
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My list of question(mainly from pvp pov)
    • any chance of making shield playstyle feel less spamming? refreshing shields every 5 sec even if you did not take damage does not feel very fun
    • sorcerer new surge skill seems really underwhelming and extreme hard to trigger for any dd or other spec without a healing staff. Considering that sorc do not have any other class heals to trigger is nor any passive to boost the heals.Are there any changes planned to make the skill better?
    • Is there any hope of a complete pet rework? They are either to strong or too weak and that most of the time of the wrong reasons. You can not target the caster = strong but it is not really a fun way to fight. Weak because they die non-stop in open combat and you are just re-summon them endless(trust me nothing is more annoying than to re-summon the pet 50 times in a row because some sniper really hates your pet). Melee pets have problems with snares and roots(especial the necro bone blast is useless snared or rooted). Pets are extreme hard to keep alive since only very limited skills protect them. (e.g. you almost can not keep the sorc scamp alive if you do not have the twilight to heal it). sorc pets on both bars also is annoying. They either have to extreme strong to be worth 2 slots+the drain to keep them alive or they are useless. there is nothing inbetween
    • Did the combat team take into considerations the missing healing passives while making the standardization to the heals? There is an extreme dispensation between how strong heals are on different classes. Same goes for shields(no crit, and only really short life-time, no block mitigation, no damage reduction passive)
    • Any plan to change encase to also work on root-immune targets or will this skill just do absolute nothing against them? (neither give major vital or do damage)
    • Was in this patch some fix for the streak bug? streak bug =getting randomly stuck at a spot when using streak
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
This discussion has been closed.