The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Sunspire unfortunate naming

Thicclady
Thicclady
✭✭✭
Hello,

I just want to ask you opinions, I doubt developers thought this before making Sunspire raid, that its now shortened with SS. That is really unfortunate indeed, because for many people especially in NA and specific EU countries it brings really bad vibes. Maybe we could make some kind of other abbreviation like SuSpi, "LF2m SuSpi" for example? Any thoughts?
  • Nimrhys
    Nimrhys
    ✭✭✭
    I think that’s being oversensitive. If it does upset you though, use a different shortening.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a bit unfortunate, but I trust that the playerbase is mature enough to handle it. We can't let innocent letters be co-opted by bad historical stuff forever, so the more common this is, the sooner the association will fade, perhaps.

I still quietly giggle every time I see people mention the 'DoM dungeon' that was added in Wrathstone :wink: Oh my!
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it unfortunate? The only other abbreviation that I can think SS might stand for is Soul Silver (pokemon).
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't censor the world. Its like digging out the whole yard around a bush to move it instead of just moving the bush itself. People are going to take the path of least resistance, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it except grow a thicker skin. I suggest watching Hellboy or Captain America, and seeing some ***'s getting their butts kicked. Maybe that will help you feel better about the whole thing.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SS was already a common abbreviation for Spell Strategist anyway. IRL it’s also pretty common for other things, such as stainless steel, secret service, social security, solid state, and steady state.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Innos beat me to the Secret Service and Social Security. I feel like asking someone for their "SS number" might be in worse taste than asking them to do "vSS".

If you do not like the abbreviation, start typing nSpire/vSpire
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hey kid, wanna /ss/?"
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Khumbu
    Khumbu
    ✭✭✭
    It’s unfortunate and seeing SS a bunch did raise an eyebrow at first, but it’s not a big deal. If you don’t like it type nSun or something, people will know what it means. Context matters. We all know it’s SS just because that’s really easy and fast to type, not because of trolling or whatever.
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it unfortunate? The only other abbreviation that I can think SS might stand for is Soul Silver (pokemon).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    You can't censor the world. Its like digging out the whole yard around a bush to move it instead of just moving the bush itself. People are going to take the path of least resistance, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it except grow a thicker skin. I suggest watching Hellboy or Captain America, and seeing some ***'s getting their butts kicked. Maybe that will help you feel better about the whole thing.

Apparently, you can, and it's gotten pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Words, numbers, abbreviations and even partial words are being censored all over the place because they might possibly offend somebody somewhere who will raise a big stink about it on Twitter. Then the execs and PR guys think there's a gigantic mob of millions of people ready to burn down the building over it when in fact it's just one or two nuts with a big megaphone.

Just the other day I saw "traini*****ound" in zone chat. Got me wondering at what point we're not even going to be able to have normal conversations anymore because they're going to be a series of asterisks with random letters sprinkled in.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    super sport?
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whi******e. I'll tell you why "traini*****ound" was censored.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it's being too sensitive. I'm german and have grown up going over world war 2 in history classes over and over until I could puke. I am way more sensitive to this kind of stuff than many people I know, but I understand that we can't just ban a shorthand for all eternity just because it represented something very bad in the past.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a topic in another forum about a woman being transsexual and her friend making a huge deal of it. She said "Anyway, she's SS so you just know what she thinks of me right now!"

Apparently SS obviously stands for same-sex (as in 'is in a same sex relationship') and has never, anywhere, ever meant anything else so she couldn't imagine why so many people thought she meant her friend was...aggressively opposed to her decision to come out.

Point being, abbreviations very rarely have just 1 use (and that's usually the long or unusual ones like FUBAR). A lot of the time the meaning is fairly obvious from the context...even if you have to remind yourself of that like when I'm at work and have to remember NB is nota bene (remember this) not someone adding tips for Night Blades.

And no, I don't think that particular one has any special connotations in Europe. It's used for all kinds of things here, just like I assume it is elsewhere. And Elsweyr.
    Edited by Danikat on May 31, 2019 7:45PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why the abbreviation might invoke for some certain images, but it's important to note that historically "SS" has stood and does still stand for many other things as well. Where something like, say, a confederate flag points singularly to a certain event, group, and point of view, a two letter abbreviation like "SS" is vague and innocuous enough on its own to not have any offensiveness to the general public. This is primarily my opinion, and just where I personally draw the line, however, so if you yourself have an issue with it, I would suggest asking company you keep to use a different abbreviation that would be more appropriate to your sensibilities, just like you might ask your friends not to use a hurtful nickname (and if they continued to use it, then they probably shouldn't be considered friends). It's hard to control the world however, and it should be important to note that not everyone shares your sensibilities, just as you don't share everyone else's.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thicclady wrote: »
    Hello,

I just want to ask you opinions, I doubt developers thought this before making Sunspire raid, that its now shortened with SS. That is really unfortunate indeed, because for many people especially in NA and specific EU countries it brings really bad vibes. Maybe we could make some kind of other abbreviation like SuSpi, "LF2m SuSpi" for example? Any thoughts?

LFG Spire
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first, I was not sympathetic to this, for all of the aforementioned reasons. But then I thought of the possibilities

LFGroup SS Tank
    Lethal zergling
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, I guess it really is possible to be offended by nearly everything.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is a f'in joke
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sotha sil? What? I don't understand.

I do know whatever it is you're better off just getting over it.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nimrhys wrote: »
    I think that’s being oversensitive.

I have to agree. I am of the opinion that if you didn't live through an event or its aftermath, you don't get to claim trauma for the purpose of co-opting random letters into a #movement.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading other posts.

If it's same sex get with the times. The world is fine with it. Don't be ignorant.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had they named it Salty Dry Arid Pinnacle, that would be unfortunate. Sunspire? Nah.

Btw, ever heard of Soul Magic skill line ultimate?
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone from a Jewish family this has not crossed my mind. Granted my family is from Lithuania and felt with the different persecution of being hunted by Russians. But what Op speaks of is a collective horror.

However, Zos does need to think things through which has been an area they have failed at time ans time again.
    Edited by idk on May 31, 2019 8:10PM
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of the Knights who say Ni.

"Suffice it to say, <random harmless combination of letters> is one of the things the Knights who say Hashtag cannot hear!"
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zacuel wrote: »
    If it's same sex get with the times. The world is fine with it. Don't be ignorant.
    Trying to hijack a thread much?
    Lethal zergling
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think people need to stop looking for any excuse to claim trauma and special treatment and cultivate serenity and self respect.

I guarantee you every letter in the English language has been used in a sentence by some tyrant. Should we outlaw letters and be mute?

But then you might SEE something, a tree for example. I guarantee you that at some point in our history, some terrible thing happened with trees in full view of the perpetrators. Should we cut down all the trees to avoid the trauma of awareness of these random harmless coincidences?

How about air? I guarantee you no tyrant could have ever existed to inflict their psychotic harm upon the world if there wasn't air for them to breath. Maybe we should nuke the atmosphere...
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zacuel wrote: »
    Trying to hijack a thread much?

.... Yes. You caught me.

Now if only I knew what was going on...
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we do really live in snowflake safe space outrage cancel culture where everyone is recreationally offended constantly...my god this is tiresome
  • kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS shouldn't name anything starting with letters. Very insensitive.
This discussion has been closed.